Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have a long and consistent history of hating U2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

visceril posted:

Nice! Sounds yummy!!

Side note, my mom told me she experimented yesterday with using NY-style pastrami as a substitute for bacon while frying it up in a pan with some artichokes and kale. I am told the results were delicious.

After having seen all of Sherlock and being totally psyched to see Hobbit2 later this weekend, let me say the following:

Benedick Cumberbitch is a hammy, busted-rear end ugly mofo who is inferior to Martin Freeman in every way

1) Pastrami owns I love it. The Reuben is one of the finest sandwiches ever devised.

2) Get ready to see a lot more of that busted-rear end face, because The Imitation Game won TIFF.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
#freeArod

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm sure Messi is a cool dude irl but idk, he unnerves me a bit

oh and this is like two pages back but I feel the need to weigh in as a Brown Person(tm) that has lived in the south, west, and northeast: racism in the north is much more systematic, whereas racism in the south is way more overt, and California is like a mix of the two depending on company. Honestly i'd much rather deal with the systematic racism and it's not like there isn't systematic racism in the south either, so.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

rscott posted:

#freeArod

Agreed.

Also John Oliver had a great description of David Cameron: "That is the face of a man who fast forwards through the servant parts of Downton Abbey."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Come viss me if you vant to liive!

(Used it at a party, nobody laughed. :smith::hf::thejoke:)

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
as a yellow person™ from an affluent, overwhelmingly Asian neighborhood, I can say that you should absolutely not put it past Asian-Americans, especially the richer, more FYGM sectors of the community, to harbor sociopathic levels of hatred for black people

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The Warszawa posted:

I like personality and passion too which is why I love Atlético but honestly I appreciate a player who is so singularly focused on domination that he has stopped giving a poo poo about anything else, including basic human social signals. Hence my Undying Support for Messi and Alex Rodriguez.
i like my heroes to have flaws, just like i generally like teams that have ups and downs. that's why i'm a zulte waregem fan. constant drama, terrible management, beautiful football except when it isn't, schizophrenic results. hate/love relationships are great.

shame it's more downs that ups this year.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

R. Mute posted:

i like my heroes to have flaws, just like i generally like teams that have ups and downs. that's why i'm a zulte waregem fan. constant drama, terrible management, beautiful football except when it isn't, schizophrenic results. hate/love relationships are great.

shame it's more downs that ups this year.

Messi has flaws. He lost.

Also he's not very good at paying his taxes!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

as a yellow person™ from an affluent, overwhelmingly Asian neighborhood, I can say that you should absolutely not put it past Asian-Americans, especially the richer, more FYGM sectors of the community, to harbor sociopathic levels of hatred for black people

All races hate each other, it turns out, and always have.

Kin selection ftw.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
sports are really excellent

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

More Arnold one-liners, please. They are all hilarious.

there's a lovely band called austrian death machine that's nothing but ahnuld one-liners over lame metal

the main dude behind it is currently in prison for putting a hit out on his (now) ex-wife

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

The Warszawa posted:

Agreed.

Also John Oliver had a great description of David Cameron: "That is the face of a man who fast forwards through the servant parts of Downton Abbey."

John Oliver is great his new show has been great so far I hope he brings a left wing balance to Bill Maher's increasingly conservative tv show

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Can you confirm/deny the accuracy of King of the Hill's depiction of suburban middle class/wealthy Asian immigrants and their offspring?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bro they were Laotian.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Lao people are also Asian!

:tmyk:

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

comes along bort posted:

there's a lovely band called austrian death machine that's nothing but ahnuld one-liners over lame metal

the main dude behind it is currently in prison for putting a hit out on his (now) ex-wife

Austrian Death Machine was no Arnocorps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06-mm2hwAxk

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Bro they were Laotian.

so are ya chinese or japanese?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

Lao people are also Asian!

:tmyk:

Yeah well Mexicans are technically Americans but you know, they arent.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

The Monkey Man posted:

Austrian Death Machine was no Arnocorps

true. as far as comedy gimmick metal goes, nothing beats metallagher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJhPJXhymSY

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

visceril posted:

John Oliver is great his new show has been great so far I hope he brings a left wing balance to Bill Maher's increasingly conservative tv show

Can you confirm/deny the accuracy of King of the Hill's depiction of suburban middle class/wealthy Asian immigrants and their offspring?

my graduating class was like 75% Chinese or Indian, with the other 10% who were Asian being either (mostly) Korean, with some Vietnamese and Japanese kids

I actually have never met a Laotian or Cambodian person so I can't comment on Kahn

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It puts the Laotian in the basket.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I was aware that the Asian experience in the United States was different for...East Asians I guess...than it is is for Filipinos. Does that extend to SE Asians as well? Genuinely asking

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

as a yellow person from an affluent, overwhelmingly Asian neighborhood, I can say that you should absolutely not put it past Asian-Americans, especially the richer, more FYGM sectors of the community, to harbor sociopathic levels of hatred for black people
gently caress you don't even have to be wealthy, I know plenty of old Vietnamese and Hmong refugees that know this black guy at work and the Mexican couple across the street is super nice but jesus christ never let them talk about race

my theory with poo poo-all to back it up is that dumping on black people is a, maybe the, way, to attain whiteness in America

edit for above: yes, very. I get the impression that East Asian and certain South Asian immigrants are extraordinarily wealthy (though not all), whereas other Asian groups tend to be poorer (many are refugees). I think the average Hmong income is lower than that for African-Americans to give you a point of reference. And then there are Arab Americans who I guess are technically white but the Middle East is in Asia so idk

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 15, 2014

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My experience of living in SE PA is that there is huge conflict and differences amongst the many Asian-americans living there.

Japanese Americans are kind of like the Vanyar, Chinese Americans are Noldor, and Vietnamese and Taiwanese are Sylvan elves.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean, you don't really find the terrible wealth and education gaps between white and asian americans that you do between whites and blacks or whites and latinos.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

visceril posted:

I was aware that the Asian experience in the United States was different for...East Asians I guess...than it is is for Filipinos. Does that extend to SE Asians as well? Genuinely asking

the southeast asian community is significantly poorer than the east asian community, with many of its constituent ethnic groups being refugees or descended from refugees from Nam and other American wars over there

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

gently caress you don't even have to be wealthy, I know plenty of old Vietnamese and Hmong refugees that know this black guy at work and the Mexican couple across the street is super nice but jesus christ never let them talk about race

my theory with poo poo-all to back it up is that dumping on black people is a, maybe the, way, to attain whiteness in America

honestly wouldn't be surprised, observing my dad; I honestly feel he keeps trying to be a Good American™ despite having been in this country for over three decades, and so he feels he must unflinchingly defend the honor of a Christian bitching about how he's being persecuted because homophobia is increasingly socially unacceptable, his buying into the narrative of how CNN and NPR and Hollywood are "very left", how loving hysterical he gets when you suggest racism can be involved in ANYTHING (aside from how he KNOWS babby's rightful space at Cal or UCLA went instead to some black or Latino untermensch), etc

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

No, this is something empathetic American lefties don't understand. Those white people you deplore for being curious about The Ethnics? They're 1% as racist as everyone in Asia. If you're from America and have never lived really anywhere that's ethnically nationalist, you can't really have concept of what an ethnic monoculture is and how pervasive it is. I don't mean that in a tut tut way, I mean literally that people in America - which is a massively multicultural country - always try to fit this experience into their own and it just don't go. If you do not exactly resemble a Cambodian or Thai or Japanese or Korean (etc) person in physical characteristics, language, broad beliefs, mannerisms, dress and so on, you can not possibly even remotely be considered to belong to the same nationality, full stop. You are foreign, you will have an appellation assigned to you, you will always be other and so on. If you get a passport you will spend your time explaining to everyone (aside from family and close friends/co-workers after time) that, no, you actually are part of their nationality and state.

Imagine that seeing a black person in America meant that you automatically assumed he or she was foreign, not in any way possibly part of your nationality, couldn't remotely be expected to speak any modicum of your language, couldn't eat your food, probably stunk, was dangerous and so on. The last two you can find in the States, the rest you have to be from an ethnically nationalist country.

EDIT: Before someone takes the cheap shot - I'm thrilled with life overseas, I don't really care much at all about the constant racism because it's low-grade and accompanied by positive behaviors and I would suggest anyone give life overseas a try if you feel there's a reasonable opportunity. I'm not saying this stuff because I've had a horrible experience. I've had a fantastic experience. This is, though, the reality. An easier way to understand it is to look back to a time when other color people weren't even remotely considered to be American and we were arguing about Irish and Italians being dirty foreign scum. That's where most of Asia is now, arguing about how the Mainland Chinese are this or the Rohingya are that.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 15, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ReindeerF posted:

No, this is something empathetic American lefties don't understand. Those white people you deplore for being curious about The Ethnics? They're 1% as racist as everyone in Asia. If you're from America and have never lived really anywhere that's ethnically nationalist, you can't really have concept of what an ethnic monoculture is and how pervasive it is. I don't mean that in a tut tut way, I mean literally that people in America - which is a massively multicultural country - always try to fit this experience into their own and it just don't go. If you do not exactly resemble a Cambodian or Thai or Japanese or Korean (etc) person in physical characteristics, language, broad beliefs, mannerisms, dress and so on, you can not possibly even remotely be considered to belong to the same nationality, full stop.

Imagine that seeing a black person in America meant that you automatically assumed he or she was foreign, not in any way possibly part of your nationality, couldn't remotely be expected to speak any modicum of your language, couldn't eat your food, probably stunk, was dangerous and so on. The last two you can find in the States, the rest you have to be from an ethnically nationalist country.

Or take Israel (please! :rimshot:). People will respond to two individuals who look almost identical entirely differently depending on how they speak Hebrew. Speak with established Ashkenazi elite accent? Obviously a productive member of society, cops will slap your wrist for jay-walking, etc. Speak with an Arab accent? You're a security risk and that jay-walking was an attempted suicide attack we are going to throw you in jail for. Speak with a Yemeni-Jewish accent? Lower class and obviously ignorant.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
America owns it just can do better than it's doing.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Or take Israel (please! :rimshot:). People will respond to two individuals who look almost identical entirely differently depending on how they speak Hebrew. Speak with established Ashkenazi elite accent? Obviously a productive member of society, cops will slap your wrist for jay-walking, etc. Speak with an Arab accent? You're a security risk and that jay-walking was an attempted suicide attack we are going to throw you in jail for. Speak with a Yemeni-Jewish accent? Lower class and obviously ignorant.
Yeah, Israel's so obviously and hilariously an apartheid state that you have to be part of AIPAC not to see it. Russian? Come join the cabinet. Sephardic? Ahhh, please wait over there in this settlement... by the way, would you be interested in a vaccine trial?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can Ashekenazi jews even trace themselves ethnically to Israel like ever?

Also is there a political justification for the Jewish state of Israel that doesn't go back to "God gave it to us"?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

The Warszawa posted:

The thing Chomsky says in a nutshell that people miss, basically.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReindeerF posted:

The thing Chomsky says in a nutshell that people miss, basically.

Well, a Centrist apologist for the elite class would say that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Warszawa posted:

During the bad Bush years I was really alienated and felt really uncomfortable during patriotic displays like the Athem at baseball games etc. Then I finally came to realize that America does have a lot of good poo poo about it and we/I could be proud of that and not also, you know, setting up a concentration camp in Cuba.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Joementum posted:

Well, a Centrist apologist for the elite class would say that.

How vulgar! *mists you with a coat of saliva*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

During the bad Bush years I was really alienated and felt really uncomfortable during patriotic displays like the Athem at baseball games etc. Then I finally came to realize that America does have a lot of good poo poo about it and we/I could be proud of that and not also, you know, setting up a concentration camp in Cuba.

Yeah. Like what?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

For example did you know in America it is unlawful to fire a woman just because she is pregnant. How cool is that, China? :911:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yes if you compare the US to the developing world it seems good but if you compare it to every other industrialized nation in the world, not so good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hey managing expectations is what keeps me out of the psychiatrists office, buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

euphronius posted:

For example did you know in America it is unlawful to fire a woman just because she is pregnant. How cool is that, China? :911:

Does America now come with a legal system that actually allows poor people to actually get the protection all these laws promise them? :smuggo:

• Locked thread