Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

concise posted:

Do you nerds play A3 dev or A3 vanilla?

Vanilla, with the same aggressively anti-mod policy that we have for IL-2; we'll probably start at 8pm EDT tonight. Thread for that is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3613950

Captain Novolin posted:

We're running Vanilla.

Do we want to swap IL-2 for a DCS clusterfuck one week? I'd love to try flying around with warthogs and hueys in my lil mustang.

I actually have owned DCS A10 for a while now but have never booted it. This could be fun one night.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012
A DCS night could be fun. There might be some difficulty in finding missions that have enough flyable aircraft for everybody, though- still, I'd be up for it.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
DCS sounds fun. Can I request some FC3 aircraft as well? I bought a10c but haven't gotten around to it yet. I don't look forward to binding 300 key commands onto my 12 button joystick.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Re: DCS A-10

I'm actually amused by the concept of a guided ramp starts simultaneously.

While drunk.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Playing flight sims while drunk is the only way to play.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I picked up Huey a while back but haven't had occasion to learn it properly yet. I'm not sure how much success we're going to have finding a mission that involves all the different aircraft everyone wants to fly, though...

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Ralith posted:

I picked up Huey a while back but haven't had occasion to learn it properly yet. I'm not sure how much success we're going to have finding a mission that involves all the different aircraft everyone wants to fly, though...

I thought that they introduced a "DCS world" thing that let you fly whatever, so you can have A10's and P51s side by side.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
They did. The trick is finding a mission where all planes are available for use.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

EvilJoven posted:

They did. The trick is finding a mission where all planes are available for use.
Not just available, but actually useful. The problem is, things that make interesting targets for the Ka-50 or the A-10C will completely decimate the Huey or the P-51, while things that make interesting targets for the latter pair will make the former pair completely boring.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Some people want more IL-2, others want ArmA 3, others want DCS.

Quite frankly, all three sound equally appealing for tomorrow.

:siren: The Next IL-2 (or something else) Session is Sunday March 16 at 3:00 PM CDT :siren:

Get your ArmA, IL-2 1946 and DCS World (comes with a free SU-25 if you don't have monies for it) all up to date because we're bound to play one of them. Seeing as this is the IL-2 group, if one person shows up and definitely wants to play IL-2 over the rest, IL-2 takes precedence. That being said, you have over 24 hours to make your case here if you want to argue about what nerdy poo poo we do tomorrow afternoon.

Also, this will probably be an extended session so we might be able to do 2 different games.

If you want DCS I highly suggest you find a mission that's either already set up with the planes we'll need (not terribly concerned about the FC3 planes, dogfighters can get hosed, DCS is all about ground attack) or edit a mission to add the planes in.

If we ArmA 3, I'm pretty sure we'll just Patrol Ops it up.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 15, 2014

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Hey now, ground attack in an Su-27/F-15c is perfectly viable and fun. Also Su-25 and A-10a.

Edit: although keeping to A-10c Su-25t and maybe Ka-50 keeps things simple mission wise.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I (bear) vote for IL2 or Arma. Haven't learned A10C yet. :effort:

Edit: may be able to figure out SU-25T or A-10A before tomorrow.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 15, 2014

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

EvilJoven posted:

:siren: The Next IL-2 (or something else) Session is Sunday March 15 at 3:00 PM CDT :siren:

Is it Sunday (tomorrow) or March 15 (today)?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I (bear) vote for IL2 or Arma. Haven't learned A10C yet. :effort:

Edit: may be able to figure out SU-25T or A-10A before tomorrow.
Learning how to operate the ridiculously complex equipment is like 80% of the appeal of DCS games. We'll be happy to (badly) teach you.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kilonum posted:

Is it Sunday (tomorrow) or March 15 (today)?

Sunday the 16th.

Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012
These missions are decently made and have some good variety, although they lack a flyable Mi-8.

Dragon's Mission Pack
Asset Extraction

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I also bought the Steam version of ROF so that's also on the table.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Us RoF goons have already been hosting our own events, pop on over to the RoF thread and say hello.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
HEY! I RUN MID LEVEL AUTISM FLIGHT SIM GOON BARTERTOWN! :argh:

Actually the thought of someone else running the show is just awesome. :swoon:

EDIT: Also, feel free to cross post RoF events here. Tons of people here play RoF as well. Maybe we can even co-ordinate sessions to reach peak efficiency in our autism.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 16, 2014

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

RoF has a neat deformation/damage model.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It really does, and from a few screenshots I've seen, that was inherited by IL-2:BoS too.

BTW, if you guys haven't heard already, there is a indiegala bundle for RoF, its the steam Channel Battles Edition and two of it's DLCs for just $7. Some other games too I guess.

Plus right now its apparently happy hour, if a new buyer selects to gift it and pays over the $6.77 minimum they get two sets of codes I think (I already had RoF so I haven't bought the bundle).

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It really does, and from a few screenshots I've seen, that was inherited by IL-2:BoS too.
I can confirm from personal experience that Battle of Stalingrad has the nice dynamic warping damage model. It's a lot subtler than in Rise of Flight because WWII planes are much more rigidly constructed, but it's there and it makes crashes and partial damage much nicer. One time I was flying a Stuka and hit a tree with my landing gear; the gear sheared off and damaged the wing roots, but I was able to keep flying level for several seconds before aerodynamic forces did the rest of the work and tore the wing off. Even quite dramatic crash landings tend to result in cartwheels and bits getting torn off when in 1946 you'd have merely exploded, and even a landing that isn't a total disaster can still be hard enough to bend a wing and tear some of the skin without actually pulling your plane apart.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Just got a new video card and might be able to play IL2 again since the old one was conflicting with Freetrack. I'm assuming we're going with a Vanilla->4.11 and not messing around with HSFX or anything like that?

p.s. if you want some deja vu schadenfreude check out the comments on Luthier's latest abortion Comments from the last 2 months seem to be "how to get a refund" and "why is Ilya ignoring us" related. I don't know where I saw this exact same scenario.

p.p.s. Have they improved the graphics for BOS or do the cockpits and airplanes still look like they came from 2004?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
BOS is not gonna be on Steam?
I just want it to be good, on steam and free of unlocks.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

Just got a new video card and might be able to play IL2 again since the old one was conflicting with Freetrack. I'm assuming we're going with a Vanilla->4.11 and not messing around with HSFX or anything like that?

4.12.2. No mods. Sadly though, it seems the vast majority of us are getting burned out on IL2 and my next several sessions will probably be DCS, ArmA or ROF.

quote:

p.s. if you want some deja vu schadenfreude check out the comments on Luthier's latest abortion Comments from the last 2 months seem to be "how to get a refund" and "why is Ilya ignoring us" related. I don't know where I saw this exact same scenario.

Ahahahaha its just like the banana forums just before it was announced that they were going to stop trying to polish the CLOD turd.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Speaking of polishing the CLOD turd, the Team Fusion patch version 4.3 is out!

After finishing the "get the game to not run like rear end" phase last patch they're on the "make it look nicer" phase. It mainly improves particle effects, flight models and lighting rear end well as the normal battery of bug fixes and you can play as the AAA now.

The next phase is the "add new stuff phase" where they'll add new planes and stuff if you don't feel like trying it yet.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9250

https://vimeo.com/88809767

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
In the old CLOD thread that's long since moved to the archives I said that the only chance this game had at being good was a Falcon 4.0 style community getting it and patching the hell out of it. Good to see that this might happen. Although I would really appreciate it if they would also try and get the user interface to resemble something that makes sense.

Downloading now. (fool me twice)

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Blistex posted:

In the old CLOD thread that's long since moved to the archives I said that the only chance this game had at being good was a Falcon 4.0 style community getting it and patching the hell out of it. Good to see that this might happen. Although I would really appreciate it if they would also try and get the user interface to resemble something that makes sense.

Downloading now. (fool me twice)

I'm actually enjoying the hell out of the ATAG (Team Fusion Patch Hosts) server games for CLOD. They have been filling up there 100 man servers with only a bit of lag. The game is actually quite playable and enjoyable now if you enjoy the BOB timeframe.

Theres even an online campaign going on (Storm of War) on the ATAG website.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Blistex posted:

p.p.s. Have they improved the graphics for BOS or do the cockpits and airplanes still look like they came from 2004?
We play the steam version of IL2 these days (pretty sure that's at the latest patch, which isn't 4.11 anymore), no mods.

BoS is quite pretty, but I'm not sure what you mean by "improved". It's based on the RoF engine, which is plenty pretty by modern standards already. Regardless, nobody's going to have cause to complain about the visuals.

Vahakyla posted:

BOS is not gonna be on Steam?
I just want it to be good, on steam and free of unlocks.
They're being cagey about it. I'm guessing negotiations are ongoing and they haven't decided if it's worth giving up the 30% cut. Equipment unlocks look like they're here to stay, unfortunately. 777 seems to be under the impression that they're what gamers want these days. At least it runs well.

Blistex posted:

Seems a bit pointless, when there's a new WWII sim that's better in nearly every way coming out in the near future. I expect it'll receive expansions for BoB and everything else sooner or later, too.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
So what do you guys want to play this Sunday? Timeslot is 1:45 PM CDT

IL2 is off the list because the vast majority seem to want a break from it.

The :siren:cat situation:siren: is still ongoing so I might be a bit distracted during the game.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
IL2 burnout comes faster than ever

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

The :siren:cat situation:siren: is still ongoing so I might be a bit distracted during the game.

I got my new videocard so I want to try it out with some more ARMA.

I did boot up some RoF last night though and old planes are strange.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
We've been talking about doing some RoF, there's lots of interest there. Maybe connect with the RoF goons so someone has some clue what they're doing?

In unrelated news, first BoS multiplayer test this weekend.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Ralith posted:

We've been talking about doing some RoF, there's lots of interest there. Maybe connect with the RoF goons so someone has some clue what they're doing?

In unrelated news, first BoS multiplayer test this weekend.

A full report please. I'm really excited to hear about this.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ralith posted:

Maybe connect with the RoF goons so someone has some clue what they're doing?

You think we know what we're doing? Hah! :v:

But yeah, feel free to join in if you want. Though we haven't really done any kind of regularly schedules stuff, the last two weekends have mostly just been "well, who wants to dick around with Gothas" (or whatever). Also, its funny you guys are burning out on IL-2 again, I was starting work up the courage to try it. ARMA sounds like it could be good too, though (need to justify that purchase somehow).

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You think we know what we're doing? Hah! :v:
Well, I for one have no idea how people usually play multiplayer RoF. The thread seems to mostly discuss singleplayer dynamic campaigns. What's a good way to get 5-10 goons having fun in janky WWI planes?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, so far, we mostly have just Raced Gothas and then dicked around shooting at eachother (or on one occasion, mid-air bombing).

A few of us have discussed using the PWCG dynamic campaign generator to generate multiplayer missions.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I'd vote for our first round of RoF to be more dicking around than a campaign since it'll take getting used to. I thought I was bad at dogfighting in IL-2 :saddowns:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Captain Novolin posted:

I'd vote for our first round of RoF to be more dicking around than a campaign since it'll take getting used to. I thought I was bad at dogfighting in IL-2 :saddowns:

You and me both. At the moment I appear to be trying to scare things out of the air. I did have an entertaining flight in a Felixstowe the other night; that's a lot of plane, and the dorsal gunner looks hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

EvilJoven posted:

Quoting myself because I just posted in the RoF thread asking if Galaga wants to host RoF.

EDIT: even if he doesn't show up, we're doing this.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 23, 2014

• Locked thread