Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MC Eating Disorder posted:

I don't have any interpersonal relationships anymore because I kept buying people toys as presents

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Funko Pop figures are fine. They're not amazingly well made but they're a neat novelty. I own seven.

They make great last minute gifts if the person you're buying for is really into some lovely franchise.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Mouse Dresser posted:

Funko Pop has released its new line of Game of Thrones figures.

This time they've got:

Stannis
Melisandre
Margaery
Bronn
Jorah
Unsullied
Harpy
Rheagal
Night King
Danearys riding Drogon

http://popvinyls.com/2016/02/11/new-game-of-thrones-are-up-for-preorder/

Why does Stannis look asian?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

zVxTeflon posted:

Why does Stannis look asian?

Well he never said Stannis wasn't Asian.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Those little things are poo poo and anyone who collects them is a loser hth :dukedog:

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

twistedmentat posted:

A fuckton of people. Some are worth a ton of money. A Renly one is worth like $100, and that's on the low end of rare ones.

woah its like the stock market except for children and most of the time you just end up with some worthless junk you put on your desk to fool yourself into thinking you have free will

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Both sides of this argument are neck and neck in the sperge contest.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
My Beanie Baby collection must be worth Billions by now

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Mouse Dresser posted:

This time they've got:

Stannis
Melisandre
Margaery
Bronn
Jorah
Unsullied
Harpy
Rheagal
Night King
Danearys riding Drogon

I can't wait to collect my favourite characters, Harpy and Unsullied!

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Mouse Dresser posted:

This time they've got:

Stannis
Melisandre
Margaery
Bronn
Jorah
Unsullied
Harpy
Rheagal
Night King
Danearys riding Drogon

Melsandre's dress comes off to reveal some POP!'ified tits.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
This was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5C6kG57J7Q

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Margaery giant head doll seems like a mean joke.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
GRRM will receive an honorary doctorate from Texas A&M

-after he finishes Winds of Winter

http://today.tamu.edu/2016/02/12/university-to-award-honorary-degrees-to-author-george-r-r-martin-and-chemist-peter-stang/

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Skeesix posted:

GRRM will receive an honorary doctorate from Texas A&M

-after he finishes Winds of Winter

http://today.tamu.edu/2016/02/12/university-to-award-honorary-degrees-to-author-george-r-r-martin-and-chemist-peter-stang/

So...never?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hilarious and original.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
It's Martin imposing that restriction on when he comes to receive the degree:

quote:

Martin and Stang’s honorary degrees will be presented at a future Texas A&M commencement ceremony or other befitting ceremony.

Martin publically addressed the honor on his blog this week, writing, “I am very pleased. Thanks to all my friends at A&M.” He added he won’t be picking up the degree until The Winds of Winter, the highly anticipated sixth book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series, is complete.

“We understand Mr. Martin is particularly sensitive to his time commitments and writing efforts,” Carlson notes. “We will be happy to host his return to campus when his schedule allows.”

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

TEAH SYAG posted:

Melsandre's dress comes off to reveal some POP!'ified tits.

Oh boy!
- a Lonely Pervert

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

hot take

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I like her attempting to smile.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

counterfeitsaint posted:

Both sides of this argument are neck and neck in the sperge contest.
Neckbeard and neckbeard, obviously.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ftfy

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

So GRRM confirmed he's doing the 'twist' he thought up last year whatever it is. No further hints other than the reason the show can't do it is that they killed off one of the involved characters.

My guess continues to be that Stannis becomes lord commander of the wall somehow. Maybe Shireen is sacrificed while he's off fighting the Boltons and he realizes that even if he took the throne he'd have no one to succeed him, which would probably throw the seven kingdoms into another massive war when he dies. Having few other options he decides to take the black and prepare for the long night.

That's the most 'organic' twist I can think of based on what we know. I don't really see any other option for him other than what the show did which is death.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Honestly, that's what I figure was going to happen since DWD. Without Mel prodding him to become king, his better nature takes over and goes "I can never be king, but at least I can save the life of my men and do a duty that must be done".

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

He started talking about this before season 5, so I'm betting Grenn or Pyp?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Just out of curiosity where/when d he confirm that?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

lifts cats over head posted:

Just out of curiosity where/when d he confirm that?

http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/02/24/the-winds-of-winter-twist-will-involve-a-character-dead-on-game-of-thrones

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Soup du Jour posted:

He started talking about this before season 5, so I'm betting Grenn or Pyp?

GRRM is a producer on the show, I'm sure he knew a long time ago they planned to kill off Stannis in Season 5. The other main candidates are Mance, Stoneheart, or Robb's wife since most of the other people they've killed are too minor or have too straightforward of a role in the books to plot an interesting but 'organic' twist around.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TOOT BOOT posted:

GRRM is a producer on the show, I'm sure he knew a long time ago they planned to kill off Stannis in Season 5. The other main candidates are Mance, Stoneheart, or Robb's wife since most of the other people they've killed are too minor or have too straightforward of a role in the books to plot an interesting but 'organic' twist around.

He went on record complaining about the show killing off characters he had plans for right after the assault of castle black episode.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Before or after his declaration that ASOIAF and Game of Thrones should be treated as separate entities? Stannis went completely different direction, Tyrion I can see after his jaunt with Second Sons for major characters.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

If he wasn't planning on killing Stannis and D&D knew that and decided to kill him anyway then lol they are retarded

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

I'm kind of glad they did kill him even if he does turn out completely differently, there's just certain things they seem completely inept at in the show and portraying a complex character like Stannis is right at the top of the list. Better he just dies and stops ruining ~MY IMMERSION~

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How quickly we all forget. It's obviously Selmy becoming a king in the East.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Haha, silly optimists. This is about Mago.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Lycus posted:

Haha, silly optimists. This is about Mago.

The twist is Mago is Pono's brother.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Ague Proof posted:

The twist is Mago is Pono's brother.

:monocle:

Someone alert Preston, this changes everything

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Botnit posted:

:monocle:

Someone alert Preston, this changes everything

He used this drawing of Illyrio in his latest video:

I guess he contracted greyscale and had to have his legs amputated. Not sure why he stuffs corn up his nostrils but I'm sure there's a series on it

My plan is to draw terrible fanart of an extremely minor character so Preston is forced to use it when he's completely out of material

EDIT:

Preston posted:

There's glamour which seems to be the mechanism of the Kindly Man that is used to appear to be a skull then a full solid change of face which is what Jaqen seems to be able to do. This is important as Jaqen's mechanism is clearly superior to glamour and artifice.

Looking like a different dude is more impressive than making your head look like a skull with a worm crawling through an eye hole?

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 25, 2016

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Quote from ADWD on that subject

quote:

Mummers change their faces with artifice,” the kindly man was saying, “and sorcerers use glamors, weaving light and shadow and desire to make illusions that trick the eye. These arts you shall learn, but what we do here goes deeper. Wise men can see through artifice, and glamors dissolve before sharp eyes, but the face you are about to don will be as true and solid as that face you were born with. Keep your eyes closed.”

As it happens, Citadel has both wise men and sharp eyes. Season 6 might touch on that spoilered bit, and if it does then go deeper than George wrote so far.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He went on record complaining about the show killing off characters he had plans for right after the assault of castle black episode.

I like how every time he comments on this people call it "complaining". What does he care? It's not like he retroactively has to change the books to be more like the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Beeez posted:

I like how every time he comments on this people call it "complaining". What does he care? It's not like he retroactively has to change the books to be more like the show.

Because its like being at this party with everyone and you have the best most amazing joke you're going to tell and oh my god this is so funny guys just you wait and you drag it out for like an hour and then someone swoops in and tells it before you.

• Locked thread