Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

IAmKale posted:

Babby's first motorocycle :3:

Is that an artifact of the jpg or is there something on your front tire making it shiny? If it's something on the tire, take it easy in the corners until that crap gets worn off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Looks like leftover glue from the tire stickers maybe?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You're a poster child for 1st time motorcycle buyers. Except that it shouldn't be brand new.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

IAmKale posted:

Nice. I got these frame slider things for my CB500f and they are nice, and look like they would do a good job of protecting things if I let the bike fall over.

http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=689

Great first bike.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
And what a motorocycle! Red ones go faster.

But please tell me that's dust on the front tire and not wear.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Sticker residue.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Skreemer posted:

Is that an artifact of the jpg or is there something on your front tire making it shiny? If it's something on the tire, take it easy in the corners until that crap gets worn off.

A newbie rider isn't going to be turning hard enough for that to make any difference.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

IAmKale posted:

that's a cool biek

get some sliders

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Skreemer posted:

I honestly have no idea, I only noticed it after my ride when I was going over the pictures I took before I headed out. It's a 2015 model with 2500 miles so the tires are still pretty new - today was my first ride on it, though, so it's probably dust or some crap from the walls of my garage when I was trying to figure out how to store it. I'll take it easy for now until I get some more miles in, though, thanks for the heads up.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

ReidRansom posted:

Workin on one of those myself. Wasn't nearly as nice as yours when I started, though. And I've only just started putting it back together.

I been looking for this precisely. I chopped up a 1978 Goldwing back in the late 80s and loved the thing for nearly 400k miles. Now that the kid can feed himself I want to build a new one and was looking to see what others might be doing in a similar vein. Nice to see someone else is just as out of their minds.

Any update on this?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Bedevere posted:

I been looking for this precisely. I chopped up a 1978 Goldwing back in the late 80s and loved the thing for nearly 400k miles. Now that the kid can feed himself I want to build a new one and was looking to see what others might be doing in a similar vein. Nice to see someone else is just as out of their minds.

Any update on this?

If you live even remotely near me, I have a loving 1st gen project Goldwing goldmine.

But yeah... what's up with that build ReidRansom?

Edit: holy gently caress that post is 5 years old.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
2003 Aprilia RSV-R Limited #197
2001 Aprilia RS50

The Tuono is in full touring mode with a bigger topbox and Techspec Tank Grips now

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
God drat the front fender on your RSV looks cool. It's like one of those bubble helmets, but cool instead of terrible.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Got frankenbike back from getting the title transferred and getting new plate and reg at the DMV, it's all legal to ride around and poo poo now.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Rode 511 miles to Boise today. On to Moab tomorrow (~570 miles).

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010

Passed my Motorcycle license test yesterday morning right before work, bought my first bike above for $1500 AUD on my way home from work. It all happened so fast!

Bad points are that it has been dropped at a standstill on the right side with only a bit of damage to the fairing (which is almost good because I don't have to care too much about it, and the curse of the first drop has already been taken care of.)
And the tachometer apparently gets stuck at 0 when it's cold until you get it above 6000rpm at which point it behaves normally, or just works intermittently. Not sure what could be causing this, probably electrics.

The Previous Previous Owner was a Japanese priest, so I'm pretty sure it has blessings upon it.

Carby, oil, tyres, battery and chain apparently done a year ago, haven't had the chance to really check it out or take it for a ride yet so we'll see.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

mevans posted:

And the tachometer apparently gets stuck at 0 when it's cold until you get it above 6000rpm at which point it behaves normally, or just works intermittently. Not sure what could be causing this, probably electrics.

Only place I can see for a tach fault like that on my wiring diagram (for a not very much newer zzr) is the spark plug that the meter is getting its signal from.

Honestly I'm not 100% on how temperature can affect spark, and whether a twin can run on one cylinder, but that's the cheapest possible cause I can think to check first.

PS nice bike.

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

Only place I can see for a tach fault like that on my wiring diagram (for a not very much newer zzr) is the spark plug that the meter is getting its signal from.

Honestly I'm not 100% on how temperature can affect spark, and whether a twin can run on one cylinder, but that's the cheapest possible cause I can think to check first.

PS nice bike.

Thanks mate, will look into that. When the seller was showing me the weird tacho behaviour he'd flick the dial and it was start working as normal for a bit. And apparently would only do it during winter (which is just beginning again for us).

This is all pretty vague until I can actually get home and play with it, being stuck at work sucks. :D

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

mevans posted:

Thanks mate, will look into that. When the seller was showing me the weird tacho behaviour he'd flick the dial and it was start working as normal for a bit. And apparently would only do it during winter (which is just beginning again for us).

This is all pretty vague until I can actually get home and play with it, being stuck at work sucks. :D

Nice bike, I had a '93 ZZR250 as my first bike and it used to do the same thing with the tachometer when it was cold - It had degraded over the years and was drooping into the face of the dial and getting stuck when it was cold, who knows, I ended up replacing it because it actually snapped on me. They're a great little bike to learn on, great choice. Where do you live? There's a couple of us in Brisbane area if you're around there and ever want to go for a ride.

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010

Shimrod posted:

Nice bike, I had a '93 ZZR250 as my first bike and it used to do the same thing with the tachometer when it was cold - It had degraded over the years and was drooping into the face of the dial and getting stuck when it was cold, who knows, I ended up replacing it because it actually snapped on me. They're a great little bike to learn on, great choice. Where do you live? There's a couple of us in Brisbane area if you're around there and ever want to go for a ride.

Cheers, i'm hearing lots of love for these 250s as first bikes. The price was far enough under my budget that I may just get a shop to give it the full lookover without feeling the pain in my wallet.

I've spent my entire time so far learning on a Honda CB125e which was great, but I'm excited to be able to finally get above 80km/h ever.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

sofullofhate posted:

THIS IS AWESOME.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

sofullofhate posted:

Any chance you're hitting up slickrock or five miles of hell?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

sofullofhate posted:

Touring on a XS triple? You are a very brave person.

What's the itinerary past Moab?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Picked up yesterday, and quickly shaking off not having ridden for 3 years

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
I hope that picture wasn't taken between 7 and 9 AM.

PS nice bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Shadows, bro. That's a noonish photo.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

It was taken about 5 minutes before I posted it :)

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

clutchpuck posted:

Touring on a XS triple? You are a very brave person.

What's the itinerary past Moab?

Brave, stupid, tough to know the difference sometimes.

Developed a nasty rod knock heading up the hill out of Spanish Fork. It will be going home on a UHaul trailer after I finish the trip on a rental bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Shadows, bro.

Doesn't look like a honda to me :confused:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sofullofhate posted:

Brave, stupid, tough to know the difference sometimes.

Developed a nasty rod knock heading up the hill out of Spanish Fork. It will be going home on a UHaul trailer after I finish the trip on a rental bike.

It worries me that half the pictures you post of your bike are it on the back of a tow truck.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

sky shark posted:

Picked up yesterday, and quickly shaking off not having ridden for 3 years

Quite similar to what i'm planning to get next.

I just can't figure out if it's Electraglide without the tour pack, or Streetglide with different mirrors

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Police electraglide. Slightly different cam pattern than the standard Street / Electras for more torque & pickup. Normal height instead of lowered like the Street. Larger air intake, so something like 4% more power in the stock 103 engine.

Doesn't come with a radio or speakers though, so bear that in mind if that matters to you; I'm going to probably put in a Biketronics retrofit package and an aftermarket stereo (though I know nothing about car audio choices so I'll have to research).

Air bladder seat suspension for extra comfort. First thing I ordered was a utopia backrest.

sky shark fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 29, 2016

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Does your bike not have the police bags? I just might not be able to see the knobs because it's all black. I always thought they were really useful.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Slim Pickens posted:

It worries me that half the pictures you post of your bike are it on the back of a tow truck.

Me too! Especially since I've owned it for just about a month now. :suicide:

This time was self-inflicted. Nobody thought that bike would survive this trip did they? :(

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Deeters posted:

Does your bike not have the police bags? I just might not be able to see the knobs because it's all black. I always thought they were really useful.

In 2014 they changed all the touring bikes for the Rushmore edition and they all have latches on the inside edge of the lid. Much easier to use than the older hockey pucks that were in the previous editions. My last bike was a 2007 police electra glide and they were ugly but useful.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

sky shark posted:

Police electraglide. Slightly different cam pattern than the standard Street / Electras for more torque & pickup. Normal height instead of lowered like the Street. Larger air intake, so something like 4% more power in the stock 103 engine.

The best way to get power in a 'glide is to sell it and use the money to buy a metric bike with an I4 and a modern tune so you can actually break into the triple digit horsepower. :rimshot:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slim Pickens posted:

It's an XS thing.

Packed for Alaska. Now I have to unpack it, weigh the gear, and dial the suspension in.

sofullofhate posted:

Fun. I mean not about the bike, but about the ride. I loved the pass from Spanish Fork up over to Price. I remember getting out before the sun that morning because 105F in SLC was killing us the day before.

Is this where they towed you from?

Took this right before Price I think:

More riding in Utah is on my list. Maybe a Utah Arizona Nevada desert tour. One day.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 31, 2016

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

I don't know exactly why but I really enjoy seeing pictures of bikes with Pelican cases mounted onto them.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I have a seahorse box as my topbox and I'm considering getting more for the side cases. The ones I have now are aluminum happy trails cases but the opening is fairly small in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

How do these things keep getting in my trailer?