Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I get every redbull, union, and nycfc game on my tv and then all the national games on top of that so I'll never be getting MLS Live. Redbulls coverage is so good too I'm kind of spoiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

CortezFantastic posted:

Thoughts on MLS Live? Is it like MLB.tv?

My thoughts are that it is bad and not good.

Sometimes you want to watch games, but you can't even though you gave them money to watch games.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

It's good quality and works with Chromecast, but it's not quite on the level with MLB.tv

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

If I do anything I'm going to go with Direct Kick instead, it's slightly more but I don't have to rely on internet to watch and if I'm not home I wouldn't be watching anyway.

e: Apparently it's the same price, but I'll want to check the channels that they're broadcast on for quality... stupid Comcast, I miss DirecTV.

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 27, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I feel like I should send a sympathy card to Zac MacMath right now.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
With a VPN you can watch every single game on MLS live. It's fantastic.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

camoseven posted:

Less talk more info. What's the deal with VPN and does it cost money?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

camoseven posted:

even the nationally blacked out ones?

Tigren posted:

privateinternetaccess.com is $40/yr. if you follow kinja deals or other related sites they often sell two-year subscriptions to nordvpn (which is just as good as PIA) for significantly less.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
VPN = Virtual Private Network = Make your web traffic appear as though it's coming from a different location. For MLS Live, if you were to pick somewhere that's completely outside of any team's market (like Iowa) then you'll be able to watch any game that isn't nationally televised in the US (ESPN*, FS1, UniMas).

be nice wicka posted:

even the nationally blacked out ones?

You used to be able to do this by connecting "from" Mexico, but now MLS Live is US/Canada only after the league's new Latin America TV contract.

Price? You kinda get what you pay for. I know others on here have used Hola in the past, but AFAIK there's no way to specify where your traffic appears to be coming from (probably due to its P2P nature). I've used paid VPN services in the past to try (and more often than not as of late, fail) to get around the Great Firewall of China. The upside for these is that you can pick where you're connecting to and you have a connection to a server dedicated to VPN traffic, which should help with your bandwidth (good thing for streaming live video). The specific services I've tried are ExpressVPN and VyprVPN. They both come with 1 month free trials, but I'll admit they're a bit pricey; I needed all of the security and traffic obfuscation they provided to get around the GFW, you don't, so you can certainly go for a lower-frills service.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 27, 2016

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I found MLS Live to be super restricted because every game on any national tv network, even the spanish ones, was blacked out. I guess I should look into VPN but at this point I'm still irritated about it and I'll just use goatdee

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

yeah, i strongly considered MLS live the last couple years, but i don't think it's worth paying for the service when i'd still be stuck with fox's garbage streaming for FS1 games and probably even worse streams for the unimas games.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
Local blackouts vary by team--a lot of them are like NE and don't bother anymore.

SEVEN DAYS

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
Eating poutine, I'm in heaven.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
I have ESPN3/Comcast Online/MLS Live and live out of my favorite team's home market, so I'm pretty much set.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Tigren posted:

I have ESPN3/Comcast Online/MLS Live and live out of my favorite team's home market, so I'm pretty much set.

What about Fox Sports Go?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CaptainYesterday posted:

What about Fox Sports Go?

i assume by "comcast online" he means the xfinity thing where, if you log in with a cable account, you can stream a whole buttload of channels (FS1 included)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

ESPNfc saying Howard to Colorado is a done deal and will occur after the EPL season. $2M a year is the reported salary.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Watching Fire/Timbers. Fire are good?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Gilberto is good?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Chicago out here with an astonishingly competent defense

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Portland are certainly asking questions here.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Fire are good. :c00l:

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
Concerning: No goals vs. MLS opponents in this preseason tournament, at home... The same problem every year: finishing.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
They're gonna win it all. Or at least make the playoffs.

ed Chicago, not Portland

paddyboat fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 28, 2016

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Syrinxx posted:

ESPNfc saying Howard to Colorado is a done deal and will occur after the EPL season. $2M a year is the reported salary.

That's a better price. Colorado are still idiots for this unless they have a deal to ship MacMath for someone useful.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Your Boy Fancy posted:

That's a better price. Colorado are still idiots for this unless they have a deal to ship MacMath for someone useful.

Like they've thought that far ahead? MacMath will be selling beers in the concession stand at Dick's just to have something to do.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bio-Hazard posted:

Concerning: No goals vs. MLS opponents in this preseason tournament, at home... The same problem every year: finishing.

:lol: the Championship shine has already worn off.

T2 played against Vancouver. The only thing concerning about tonight is the knock Asprilla took.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I hope DC sign JJ Koval.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

highme posted:

:lol: the Championship shine has already worn off.
Agreed

PORTER OUT

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Bio-Hazard posted:

yeah but hey no injuries! Zemanski survived!
and it feels comforting to watch the Timbers not excel so I mean... phew!

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Tigren posted:

So last year i got MLS Live for free with my season ticket so I said screw it and paid for a year of Hola VPN for like $35 or whatever it cost. I'd say on the whole it was worth it. I wouldn't pay for both VPN and MLS Live though.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I think the idea is MacMath is it until Howard arrives and is it when/if Howard is away for the national team. I think.

I still think it's a stupid deal meant to fix a self-inflicted problem and wholly designed to put butts in the seats, but $2 mil a year is less stupid than $5. I hope it works out of course but it's still stupid.

There's some behind the scenes rumbling that Irwin wasn't well liked by his teammates and blah blah blah locker room issues blah blah blah, but without any proof I'll just judge it by what I can see.

Edit: the guy to feel sorry for is Johnathan Berner, the current #2 keeper and eventually #3. He's not a bad keeper in my opinion, just needs time to get up to speed. But now he's got Howard and MacMath in front of him. He's never making the big squad again unless there's some serious injuries. Hopefully he enjoys Carolina.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 28, 2016

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
And MacMath is there when Howard lets in as many goals as Irwin did and gets benched for half a season like Irwin did because you can have the best goddamn keeper in the world but when the rest of your team can't get their act together it doesn't matter. Burgundy Wave had an interview with the Everton SG about why Howard is riding the bench there and they were like 'oh, he was fine but our defense got a bunch of injuries and with a constantly rotating back line there were communication errors and he's now fallen out of favor' WHERE HAVE I HEARD THAT BEFORE HMMMMMMM...

And Berner is there when the same goddamn thing happens to MacMath. Because Mastro is like 'I AM PLAYING FIVE DEFENSIVE MIDS OUT THERE HOW COME YOU KEEP LETTING GOALS IN???'

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

He never realizes that the reason we leak goals is that theres no risk of our guys getting forward so they can just be in our area all game. We play so far back other teams can take risks and not get punished.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Speaking of the Rapids, I have been in Denver for the past 4 days and have seen exactly one Rapids logo. It was a faded and peeling car magnet. I tried to buy a tshirt or something at a few sporting goods stores downtown, but the clerks told me the Rapids don't have any merch distributors in the area so they can't stock anything.

I get that they have been going up against the Super Bowl win and the NHL stadium series, which is a tough ask for any MLS team. But the season starts in 7 days, and I have seen literally no promotion of it. Maybe Tim Howard will get butts in seats this summer, but jesus christ this is gonna be a bad team with dismal attendance til then.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
There's Rapids stuff around, but it's not made visible. The Sports Authority that I worked at had a few shirts (most of them with the MLS All-Stars logo), some hats, and some soccer balls with the logo on it. It was tucked away with the rest of the soccer stuff while the Broncos, Rockies, Avalanche, CSU Rams, and CU Buffalos all got a big corner of the store.

The last time I went to the Dick's Sporting Goods at the mall in Littleton, I only found a few hats. I'll chalk up the invisibility to the huge dearth of Super Bowl 50 stuff at the time, but it's really telling when the company that has the naming rights to the loving stadium doesn't have much for Rapids stuff in the Metro Denver area.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
The Rapids are a terribly run team that will never get out of the shadow of the Broncos and the Avs and, hell, the Nuggets or Rockies for that matter.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I mean, I'm okay with the fact that there are other sports that will be more popular than soccer in the US for the foreseeable future.

But like I said, I have trouble finding Rapids merchandise in the sporting goods store that has the naming rights of the stadium they play in. It's that bad.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It's interesting because my complaint for a long time has been about merchandising plans. I actually attended a dinner with big wigs from MLS, various MLS owners etc. and I asked about why teams don't sell their merchandise in stores like Target or Five Below. Basically anywhere kids can afford to buy stuff. Their answer is they want to remain 'premium' and that they want 'more money' for their products they sell.

Soccer in the US isn't really a premium, upperclass sport. People pay on average 30 a ticket and spend less on merchandise on average than any sport in the US. If you want an elitist sport, try football where tickets can cost up to 4,000 dollars or hockey where the average ticket price is about 90-100.

Basically the league makes a lot of poor decisions and suffers for it in continued low ratings and attendance, despite all of their bluster that the league is growing in popularity (when it isn't in the way it should be).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
They want more money for poo poo that no one buys because none of that poo poo is available for people to buy. How has this league even survived this long?

• Locked thread