Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

I was reminded of this on my most recent playthrough, when finally doing a Kensai/Mage dual class protagonist, who could almost singlehandedly tear through 90% of the game, but still had to try really hard to deal with Demogorgon, and I actually somehow found Mellissan harder this time around than in either of my previous playthroughs (did the Enhanced Edition increase her difficulty or did I just forget how to play against tough foes?)

But yes, that is one of many reasons I am forced to acknowledge the Baldur's Gate full experience is collectively my favorite game despite not actually being my favorite gaming subgenre (being games where you wear shoulderpads)

I think they might have actually made Mellissan harder because she was the only significant challenge in my recent playthrough of BGII.

Demogorgon I curbstomped in less than a minute by luring him on to some spike traps I planted before the fight began proper. (Spike traps are way OP in BGII IMO)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh I only learned about the spike trap trick when Googin' "how the hell do I beat Mellissan" and realized the spikes were inside me all along. Yeah that probably would have helped a lot with Demogorgon, too, huh. You can tell how much I valued Jan Jansen's role in my party beyond "mage with stunning bolts" since I never knew anything about Thief combat utility

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Oh yeah, there's nothing wrong with presenting a challenge right up to the end - the mainline SMT games do a great job with this, and if you ever get too big for your britches the optional superbosses serve as a reminder that you and your godlike demons are still bugs compared to the real movers and shakers.

My point regarding Might & Magic is that if there ever were games to enjoy the reverse difficulty curve in, it's these three. They don't just make the challenge go away, they completely change how the game is played by endgame, basically turning from an RPG into a FPS. The fact that the combat is always pretty simplistic, as opposed to Baldur's Gate's elaborate mage duels, plays into this too.

I'm pretty sure I've said this before in this thread, but I think games that want to have very open-ended exploration almost have to be designed to be a bit on the easy side, because otherwise you've got an invisible funnel limiting you to going places that won't kill you. (Which is okay to some extent, but gets frustrating if there are only one or two new areas you can realistically survive at any given time.)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Thuryl posted:

I'm pretty sure I've said this before in this thread, but I think games that want to have very open-ended exploration almost have to be designed to be a bit on the easy side, because otherwise you've got an invisible funnel limiting you to going places that won't kill you. (Which is okay to some extent, but gets frustrating if there are only one or two new areas you can realistically survive at any given time.)

I agree. See any MMO

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Interestingly modern mmos no longer do that. Wow scales virtually all content to player level.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So does Elder Scrolls Online.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

andrew smash posted:

Interestingly modern mmos no longer do that. Wow scales virtually all content to player level.

Which is also a problem because done poorly you have the issue where at level 5 you're challenged by the troll, but at level 20, while still challenged by the troll, you're now pissed off that the troll is challenging.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Kuros posted:

Which is also a problem because done poorly you have the issue where at level 5 you're challenged by the troll, but at level 20, while still challenged by the troll, you're now pissed off that the troll is challenging.

Wow avoids that problem, nothing is challenging

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Hm, Deadfire in turn based more doesn't feel very well balanced, does it? Primarily it doesn't feel like action speed/quick attackers matter at all any more. I made Xoti a monk and even with quick strikes on, she just gets one weak attack in at the start of a round and then does gently caress all.

I don't remember exactly how quick attackers etc worked in 1 but I remember my monk bouncing hilarious around the arena with a thousand fists flying for every enemy move and that doesn't seem like it can happen here.
Yeah, you don't seem to be able to actually get more actions per turn in turn-based. Which since i picked a monk build for my MC led to my attempted playthrough running out of steam fairly fast.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Restarted Arx Fatalis (using Arx Libertatis) cause I made the mistake of playing as a magic-centric character. Am inside the crypt now but is it just me or does the game start to drag during this point? It feels like they've run out of content.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Big Scary Owl posted:

Restarted Arx Fatalis (using Arx Libertatis) cause I made the mistake of playing as a magic-centric character. Am inside the crypt now but is it just me or does the game start to drag during this point? It feels like they've run out of content.

The Crypt isn't one of the best places in the game but they definitely haven't run out of content. You haven't gotten to the dwarf level yet which is one of the best parts of the game IMO.

Also playing a magic-centric character isn't a mistake--in fact it's probably the strongest build in the game to take as the end game sequences are a meatgrinder for a pure melee character.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Genpei Turtle posted:

The Crypt isn't one of the best places in the game but they definitely haven't run out of content. You haven't gotten to the dwarf level yet which is one of the best parts of the game IMO.

Also playing a magic-centric character isn't a mistake--in fact it's probably the strongest build in the game to take as the end game sequences are a meatgrinder for a pure melee character.

I just disliked doing the spell gestures/precasting them. Very frequently I'd get them wrong cause I made them slightly slanted and it made me feel almost dyslexic :smith:

I'll try to get out of the Crypt.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I found the runes much easier to draw when I started drawing them really small in the middle of the screen - dunno if it's something to do with it being originally intended for much lower resolutions or something

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's something that many early games that used shape recognition had trouble with. Larger shapes are more difficult for the algorithms to evaluate for some reason. In Okami, you are much more likely to actually activate the bomb ability if you just draw a tiny swirl than you are when you try to draw a big circle.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
MEGA

MOVIS

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah the rune system is a cool idea in concept but not in execution. One thing that can sometimes help is that the game doesn't care at all about the lengths of the lines you draw, only the corners and the order you draw them in. You can draw runes that don't look anything like the actual runes and the game will still recognize them so long as you get those angles in the right order. Also Arx Libertatis has an alternate rune recognition option that some people find easier. (I have more trouble with it though)

Either way drawing runes in the middle of battle stinks so I find it easier to precast the spells I think I'll need. You only get 3 but it's better than trying to trying to write out runes when you're being swarmed by those bald assholes in plate armor.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Genpei Turtle posted:

You haven't gotten to the dwarf level yet which is one of the best parts of the game IMO.
Is that the one with the invincible beast that chases you around the level? Man, that one was a ride.

Cardiovorax posted:

In Okami, you are much more likely to actually activate the bomb ability if you just draw a tiny swirl than you are when you try to draw a big circle.
After trying the Wii version I'm pretty sure that trying to make me play the original control scheme ever again would result in me strangling the offender with a PS2 gamepad cable.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 4, 2021

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I heard people say the original Okami controls were much easier than the waggle ones?

Honestly if I ever replay it I'll just play the PC or Switch port and either draw the things with a loving mouse or just draw on the Switch screen.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I heard people say the original Okami controls were much easier than the waggle ones?
Maybe for the basic movement/fighting controls, but when it comes to painting magic and combat flourishes, wiimote pointer is sooo much better it's not even funny.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 4, 2021

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Is there a patch for Wizardry 8 that lets one use any recruitable party member anywhere? Never cared for those restrictions.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

Is there a patch for Wizardry 8 that lets one use any recruitable party member anywhere? Never cared for those restrictions.

Not that I know of, but the restrictions are trivially easy to bypass; you can teleport into off-limits areas with RPCs, or get them incapacitated and revive them once you’re inside. They take a minor stat hit and will complain a whole lot while in there, but it’s not that big of a deal.

ZarquonHigardi
Mar 27, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

If you don't mind doing it yourself, you can pretty easily do this via Cosmic Forge's NPC editor.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

I've been going through my backlog and started playing Wizards & Warriors lately, and, uh, I think I broke the game's economy:

Roughly one hour before I took this screenshot I was basically broke. I'm sure someone's figured this trick out before, but there's a Fletching skill Rangers can get that slowly duplicates arrows in your quiver whenever you're not in battle. Turns out if you enchant an arrow well enough it will sell for enormous amounts of gold, and well I guess I don't ever have to worry about money again, which is good because it was really scarce in this game beforehand.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Genpei Turtle posted:

I've been going through my backlog and started playing Wizards & Warriors lately, and, uh, I think I broke the game's economy:

Roughly one hour before I took this screenshot I was basically broke. I'm sure someone's figured this trick out before, but there's a Fletching skill Rangers can get that slowly duplicates arrows in your quiver whenever you're not in battle. Turns out if you enchant an arrow well enough it will sell for enormous amounts of gold, and well I guess I don't ever have to worry about money again, which is good because it was really scarce in this game beforehand.

I say go for it, because as much as I want to like this game it is kind of bad. On the archives there is a recently-completed LP of this game that is not flattering.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Big Scary Owl posted:

I'd really like Wizardy 8 if the encounter rate wasn't so high. I've played with the speed hack and even then it's very tiring. Just wish there was a way to tone it down somehow. I've played the other TES/Fallout games yeah.

It's been 10 years since I've played, but my recollection is that the grind drops right off in the
..last third? of the game once you get the teleporter. Whether you find the same or can stomach to make it that far I couldnt say.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

In Wizardry 8, I've just become accustomed to quicksaving a lot and sprinting past annoying encounters.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

It's been just over 1.5 months since Geneforge 1: Mutagen came out. What is this thread's views on it?

Geneforge 4 was my RPG Waterloo, burned out on it hard. G4 had a interesting plot and many story options, I just can't deal with navigating another instant kill invisible wall maze or the revamped minefields inside it.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

I say go for it, because as much as I want to like this game it is kind of bad. On the archives there is a recently-completed LP of this game that is not flattering.

Eh, I don't think it's that bad. It's got its fair share of questionable design decisions, but overall I'm finding it fairly entertaining. The dungeons in particular are well-designed with some nice (if not particularly challenging) puzzles in them. It's a very easy game too so it's less a question of whether you break the game over your knee but how much.

Chubby Henparty posted:

It's been 10 years since I've played, but my recollection is that the grind drops right off in the
..last third? of the game once you get the teleporter. Whether you find the same or can stomach to make it that far I couldnt say.

Things speed up significantly in the latter half of the game, but it's less due to fewer spawns and fast travel options opening up, and more that your party's power significantly outgrows the game's difficulty curve. Around the time your party hits double digits in levels you can pretty much mulch whatever looks at you askew unless you're doing some sort of gimmick run. The later areas are packed with enemies but they just don't tend to last nearly as long as early game enemies do.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Wanna check this out but I have no Switch :negative:

https://twitter.com/ArcSystemWorksU/status/1379871716323819520

Also this could be interesting, not sure if it was posted before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEp7nUQKUbo

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Please tell me Kowloon High School reimagines Kowloon Walled City as a school because that's just horrible enough to be hilarious

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Please tell me Kowloon High School reimagines Kowloon Walled City as a school because that's just horrible enough to be hilarious

From the Nintendo page:

quote:

Treasure Hunters - Adventurers who search for buried treasure scattered around the world.
In Shinjuku, Tokyo, a young man appears as a transfer student at Kamiyoshi Academy. While he seems like a normal student, he is actually a treasure hunter. His mission is to discover a mysterious ruin hidden deep beneath the school. Accompanied by his new friends from school, he sets out to discover the mysteries of a super ancient civilization. However, numerous traps, monsters called "Kehito" that lurk within the ruins, and the clutches of the "student council" stand in his way!

Lol it seems to be the case yeah

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

lmao shin megami tensei but all the demons are just incredibly racist depictions of people from China, Korea, Hong Kong etc

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kowloon is just an old timey term for Hong Kong. Presumably that's where the title is from.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
This is looking interesting as well, quite moody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2FxcPor8rE

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know if there's a game that mixes fighting game fights with dungeon crawling? Been wondering about this

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Big Scary Owl posted:

Does anyone know if there's a game that mixes fighting game fights with dungeon crawling? Been wondering about this

It's not remotely finished but Bear Hero

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=41038.0

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Oh poo poo this looks really cool, thank you!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Big Scary Owl posted:

It's not *exactly* either but Indivisible and Valkyrie Profile do something of the sort

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Big Scary Owl posted:

Erhanz:God Bless the Ring has a dungeon crawling mode, I know that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dbzfandiego posted:

Erhanz:God Bless the Ring has a dungeon crawling mode, I know that much.
Did you mean Ehrgeiz?