Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Springsteen sucks. With his growly voice and bullshit songs about the working man. gently caress that noise. Led Zeppelin, now that's a band. Any band that can crowbar Gollum and Mordor into a song and still have it rock the gently caress out...that's what I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Did You Know?
* 'Hungry Heart' was originally written for the Ramones.
* Springsteen coats his guitars in boat sealant to stop his copious stage sweat getting in.
* im gay.
Now You Know!

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Live at Hammersmith Odeon 1975 is literally the best rock concert ever filmed. YouTube it.

Also Pre Born in the USA Springsteen > Post Born in the USA.

thats the show i was trying to remember that was likely the tipping point in me truly coming around to springsteen as an artist rather than just a couple of his songs...'lost in the flood' specifically. awesome

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Knowing that Christie likes Bruce makes me think, a long long time ago, he must have paid a pretty price and eaten a nice man's soul

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

Knowing that Christie likes Bruce makes me think, a long long time ago, he must have paid a pretty price and eaten a nice man's soul

I actually like Christie for bucking the Republicans and not marching lockstep with the party the same way Lucifer did with God. Springsteen just flat-out blows and I don't think a correlation between them is fair. (3)

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
"Booorrrn in the USAAAA
Cucked, now i've turned gay heyyy"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

What about Cat Stevens Sufjan Islam or whatever his name is

dude looks like your loving dad

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Quickscope420dad posted:

"Booorrrn in the USAAAA
Cucked, now i've turned gay heyyy"

The best is how the Republicans used that as their theme song during the Reagan years and how people thought it was a declaration of how awesome America is without actually listening to the song and understanding what it's about. Kind of like how some moron's used James Blunt's "You're Beautiful" as their wedding dance song without listening to the lyrics and only hearing him say "You're beautiful" over and over. And it's not like Springsteen was being obtuse and deceptive (the way that Satan is so adept at). (5)

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Count Freebasie posted:

The best is how the Republicans used that as their theme song during the Reagan years and how people thought it was a declaration of how awesome America is without actually listening to the song and understanding what it's about. Kind of like how some moron's used James Blunt's "You're Beautiful" as their wedding dance song without listening to the lyrics and only hearing him say "You're beautiful" over and over. And it's not like Springsteen was being obtuse and deceptive (the way that Satan is so adept at). (5)

Yeah I know about that but as a musician who gets real frustrated over trying super hard not to write derivative crap his levels of success vs the quality of his music is just really depressing to me

tl;dr Bruce Springsteen is loving bad

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Quickscope420dad posted:

Yeah I know about that but as a musician who gets real frustrated over trying super hard not to write derivative crap his levels of success vs the quality of his music is just really depressing to me

tl;dr Bruce Springsteen is loving bad

I'm a musician as well, and between him and The Edge milking the same loving chords over and over and over and too much loving reverb and chorus, it makes me want to jam a screwdriver into my ears. Learn some loving barre chords already and cut back on the effects. I wrote poo poo as complex as them when I was in 8th grade (now my music is powered by years of study and Satan). (8)

Zooey Dave Chapelle
Oct 27, 2013
i agree with op, hes no captain beefheart for sure but he had a decent album or 2.

Zooey Dave Chapelle fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 1, 2014

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

pricklypie posted:

i agree with op, hes no captain beefheart for sure but he had a decent album or 2.

Side note: It's amazing how many people are into Captain Beefheart nowadays. I can't tell you how many younger people (I'm 37) are extolling the virtues of Trout Mask Replica. Funny enough, that was Kurt Cobain's favorite album, and it seems that everyone here hates Kurt Cobain and Nirvana. Lord Satan, we honor thy name. (10)

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

I'd let him inside my secret garden.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Arcade fire ripped off the piano stings in "the promised land"

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
bruce springsteen is good if you don't agree then you are bad

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

The Fattest PI posted:

I disagree, and think that bruce springsteen is bad and if you don't agree you are also bad.

But not liking springsteen doesn't necessarily make you good.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

The Fattest PI posted:

Bruce Springsteen is not good. Lucifer, the Bringer of Light is good. Springsteen sucks. (21)

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Count Freebasie posted:

I'm a musician and im gay

me too

Now, as far as bruce goes, he certainly puts a "Spring" in my "Steen", if you're know what I mean

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Drunk Tomato posted:

me too

Now, as far as bruce goes, he certainly puts a "Spring" in my "Steen", if you're know what I mean

So, you're gay AND you like poo poo music; quite the combo! Too bad Bruce doesn't cover anything by King Diamond or Slayer. Hail Satan. (27)

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
gently caress yeah, the Boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc-xXOE1Jws

Along with Warren Zevon, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt and The Eagles. Good loving music.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Theophany posted:

gently caress yeah, the Boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc-xXOE1Jws

Along with Warren Zevon, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt and The Eagles. Good loving music.

That is a loving terrible song and you need new ears

I mean it's literally loving worse than this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJi4bln-hHQ

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t2TdQ-d5OA

Springsteen guitar solo faces

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Quickscope420dad posted:

That is a loving terrible song and you need new ears

I mean it's literally loving worse than this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJi4bln-hHQ

Well if you're going to exaggerate. Nothing is worse than Jimmy loving Buffett.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

I enjoyed the first 1.03 of that and then he solo'd too much and then started singing to boot

dablakh0l
Sep 3, 2002
I'm of that generation, and I grew up in the Philadelphia area. To this day I still don't see what there is to his 'music'.

I hate Springsteen. So There.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

dablakh0l posted:

I'm of that generation, and I grew up in the Philadelphia area. To this day I still don't see what there is to his 'music'.

I hate Springsteen. So There.

Same story, and I concur wholeheartedly. I'm sure Satan agrees as well, what with his refined tastes. (31)

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Safe Driver posted:

Springsteen guitar solo faces

I'm glad Grunge killed [generic] guitar solos. I don't miss them.

stevebuscemifan
Dec 24, 2013

Not bad.

the black husserl posted:

Arcade fire ripped off the piano stings in "the promised land"

I love "Promised Land". All of Darkness on the Edge of Town is great, as has been stated in this thread.

I can understand why one wouldn't like Springsteen, but he had a great career and stayed relevant for longer than a lot of his contemporaries.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

stevebuscemifan posted:

he had a great career and stayed relevant for longer than a lot of his contemporaries.

Springsteen: Beating the 70's to death for four decades.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
You can tell if someone has ever had to work hard before because chances are they'll like the boss. He sings songs for the everyman worker. He's like a slightly more modern Tennessee Ernie Ford.
Oh you don't know who that is, go back to listening to your indies and your biebers

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

The Fattest PI posted:

He sings songs for the everyman worker.

He sells songs to the everyman worker. He is the company store.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The thing is, though, the everyman worker doesn't necessarily like to listen to songs about how much it sucks to be an everyman worker

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

The Fattest PI posted:

You can tell if someone has ever had to work hard before because chances are they'll like the boss. He sings songs for the everyman worker. He's like a slightly more modern Tennessee Ernie Ford.
Oh you don't know who that is, go back to listening to your indies and your biebers

I put on Darkness on the Edge of Town whenever I have to roll up my sleeves and do the dishes

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm over 30 and listen to The War on Drugs and have a sneaking suspicion that I should just give up and start listening to all these goddamn Rock Men like Springsteen and Neil Young and poo poo since I've lost my edge (heh) anyway.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Beeswax posted:

I'm over 30 and listen to The War on Drugs and have a sneaking suspicion that I should just give up and start listening to all these goddamn Rock Men like Springsteen and Neil Young and poo poo since I've lost my edge (heh) anyway.

Go the cool dad route and listen to Tom Waits instead

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Crow Jane posted:

Go the cool dad route and listen to Tom Waits instead

You can listen to both. Bruce owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3eu1gW-bQ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oID_fZDtcs0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg0ekQBmzKs

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
Be the interesting Dad. Start listening to The Aquabats and dressing up as PJ Harvey.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Springsteen's pretty cool. Born to Run the album is fantastic. Overall I give him a 4/5, much like this thread

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

The thing is, though, the everyman worker doesn't necessarily like to listen to songs about how much it sucks to be an everyman worker

Still, at least it's music they can sorta identify with. Not everyone really gives a poo poo about indie retard whinebag stuff like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuHSD90kbhg
whoaaaa so deeeep brooo, i totally also do completely banal poo poo all the time!

Sidenote: tom waits is pretty great, but he's a little less accessible. Some of his stuff is pretty weird after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Crow Jane posted:

His stuff is a lot more nuanced than you think it is.

• Locked thread