Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it's good poo poo, as long as you avoid the hipster mustaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

now i haven't touched it in 2 years, but opening a xaml file in VS caused the whole thing to come to a screeching halt. a lot of the times making changes would cause the entire IDE to just crash. none of the nice VS code refactoring tools worked with it. there was a slightly less garbage editor (expression blend) that you could get, but that was a separate license and fairly expensive. and it didn't work that great with anything but the most basic of .slns.

the UIs you build with it look completely out of place on windows. the font rendering is blurry garbage, the typography options you had were slim (you couldn't adjust kerning or anything). a lot of things would have blurry edges because nothing was aligned to pixel grids without you having to jump through a bunch of hoops. bitmaps would wind up blurry for the same reason. even the simplest of UIs would just feel like crap.

XAML was terrible and never evolved to be more developer friendly. things may have changed, but i doubt it: http://paulstovell.com/blog/six-years-of-wpf.

code:
<Window x:Class="PaulStovell.TrialBalance.UserInterface.MainWindow"
  xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"
  xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
  xmlns:tb="clr-namespace:PaulStovell.TrialBalance.UserInterface"
  xmlns:tbp="clr-namespace:PaulStovell.TrialBalance.UserInterface.Providers"
  xmlns:system="clr-namespace:System;assembly=mscorlib"
  Title="TrialBalance" 
  WindowState="Maximized"
  Width="1000"
  Height="700"
  Icon="{StaticResource Image_ApplicationIcon}"
  Background="{StaticResource Brush_DefaultWindowBackground}"
  x:Name="_this"
  >
nice boilerplate

i use html/css and ember for front end apps today. it's very nice and way easier to use and maintain than wpf/xaml

yeah I guess class definitions and namespace imports are too much to deal with

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
lol nerd poo poo

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

akadajet posted:

it's good poo poo, as long as you avoid the hipster mustaches.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
you could say this is really

emberassing

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Yo ember is poo poo use angular

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
angular is trash. don't use js but if you have to use js use knockout

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

speaking of angular...

http://eisenbergeffect.bluespire.com/leaving-angular/

lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Nice image leeching

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shaggar posted:

angular is trash. don't use js but if you have to use js use knockout

Hmm shagger was wrong

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Angular 2.0s direction is dumb though

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
i thought everybody uses react now as the hot jnew thing

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

KARMA! posted:

i thought everybody uses react now as the hot jnew thing

react is just a view engine. which is supposed to be nice. the problem is you need something else for the framework which is flux. which everybody grouses about.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
react also uses some custom directive compiler which is gross

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you can use react with angular but you need to do some fuckery to tie in with the scope digest

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

rekk posted:

i hate curly brackets

i put in extra curly brackets, just for you. gently caress your one line if statement. its getting brackets.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pram posted:

Angular 2.0s direction is dumb though

its just as dumb as angular 1.0.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pram posted:

you can use react with angular but you need to do some fuckery to tie in with the scope digest

lmao

pram
Jun 10, 2001
just code ur websites in xaml and asp

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

bobbilljim posted:

i put in extra curly brackets, just for you. gently caress your one line if statement. its getting brackets.

same

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Shaggar posted:

angular is trash. use knockout

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

bobbilljim posted:

gently caress your one line if statement. its getting brackets.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

my stepdads beer posted:

dropwizzard seems like a cool thing, tell me about it javahavers?

dropwizard is a collection of libraries + a deployment method you should probably be using anyway

you can re-create that collection in 30 seconds with a maven pom, but that's not the point. dropwizard's creators chose which libraries you should be using and how you should deploy. the project provides an opinion.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
by the time you have any business forming your own opinions you would be able to recreate dropwizard casually without any reference sources anyway, just a text editor + mavencentral.org

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

dropwizard is a collection of libraries + a deployment method you should probably be using anyway

you can re-create that collection in 30 seconds with a maven pom, but that's not the point. dropwizard's creators chose which libraries you should be using and how you should deploy. the project provides an opinion.

excellent i need opinions in java land there are too many options and too many ancient recommendations

• Locked thread