Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
and rocky is in philly, get over it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I want a version of Gladiator where the arena is covered in advertisements, the gladiators come out and shill snake oil before the match begins, and they just kind of poke at each others fat bellies in between bouts of slaughtering un-armed Christians.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Plucky Brit posted:

Braveheart was a moniker given to Robert the Bruce and has nothing to do with William Wallace. Says it all, really.

William Wallace was also a rich landowner.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
gladiator needed more fight scenes less politicking

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
i just watched starship troopers for the first time since it came out

it was p good actually, in a campy yet badass sort of way

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

"ey senator dudes, im dyin so i command you to restore the republic"
"yeah ok maximus we'll, uh, we'll get right on that..." *awkward sideways glances at each other*

Those dudes just happened to be Pertinax, Didius Julianus, Pescenius Niger, Clodius Albinus, and Septimius Severus.

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010
Doesn't it end w Russell Crowe reinstating The Republic?

Lol

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

"yeah ok maximus we'll, uh, we'll get right on that..." *awkward sideways glances at each other*

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Origin posted:

Those dudes just happened to be Pertinax, Didius Julianus, Pescenius Niger, Clodius Albinus, and Septimius Severus.

pssh u cant fool me those are all harry potter hexes

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

fun fact: this came out duringa family holiday in america but we waited until the uk release because americans like to whoop and cheer during films.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

opus111 posted:

fun fact: this came out duringa family holiday in america but we waited until the uk release because americans like to whoop and cheer during films.

where did you learn this from, other american movies?

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

my dad lived in the states for a whiel.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

i -believe- this observation was made during Back to the future 3 but the memory of that conversation si extremey hazy.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the only movie at which i have whooped was fast and furious 6, and that was entirely appropriate.

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

opus111 posted:

my dad lived in the states for a whiel.

Your dad's right. It's mostly black people who do that though.

The white people will only sneak up behind you and sniff your hair.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Dirty Sanchez posted:

Your dad's right. It's mostly black people who do that though.

The white people will only sneak up behind you and sniff your hair.

I saw 12 Years a Slave in NC and a bunch of black ladies started having some sort of really loud crying breakdown raging against whitey during the movie so I can confirm

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Russell Crowe would have been hawt as the lead actor in Broke Back Mountain.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions and loyal servant to the TRUE emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Nathilus posted:

hes been stuck in the gaulish campaign for a long-rear end time he's nowhere near home at the start of the movie. When you're a roman general you don't get to just check out of a campaign for a few weeks to go take a vacation.

i thought it was supposed to be the end of the germania inferior campagin

the senators wanted the republic reinstated and commodus's sister was like the only line to the throne and wanted them to listen to maximus i think. its a movie so you have to suspend disbelief that some dude would have just murdered her and her son and taken the throne for themselves.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Necros posted:

the senators wanted the republic reinstated and commodus's sister was like the only line to the throne and wanted them to listen to maximus i think. its a movie so you have to suspend disbelief that some dude would have just murdered her and her son and taken the throne for themselves.

you wouldn't have to go very far, that poo poo happened all the time in ancient Rome

in 41 BC the Praetorian guard killed Caligula and declared some random nephew nobody cared about Emperor

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Spartacus could take Maximus.

Goddamn Hippy
Jan 18, 2006
Tell me more about your life OP

How do you feel about vegetable gardens?

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

redshirt posted:

only season one spartacus. the true spartacus.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

no real opinion but i have a feelinfg that they will be the next big thing for idiot girls with too much money in islington and the guardian will do a huge G2 spread on them and meeting new people at parties will be even more of a malady of cliches and inevitable conversational threads than it is currently.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

recent historical examples: frumpy girls knitting on the tube and people changing 'fairy cakes' to 'cupcakes' because they want to pretend theyre from new ytork

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

redshirt posted:

For a minute I thought you meant Kirk Douglas lol

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Origin posted:

Yes that was clear from Cassius Dio, glad you saw that too.

TheEldar
Oct 24, 2010
Gladiator is pretty drat good, a lot of chest beating moments

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Kitchner posted:

Because Gladiator is a story about a made up gladiator killing a made up emperor based in Roman times

This needs to be laughed at harder.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I was pretending that I was going to do something constructive this afternoon, but I think I'll just watch Gladiator again instead.

Random Hajile posted:

gently caress Braveheart, it wasn't even the best angry Scot movie released that year. Go watch Rob Roy instead.

drat it, I just started reading this thread and I was going to post this as soon as Braveheart was mentioned.

Braveheart gets drawn and quartered like a bitch; Rob Roy chops that dude in half. I think both of them get cucked. I haven't seen either movie in 10+ years.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
Maximus was like Goku

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Twitch posted:

I was pretending that I was going to do something constructive this afternoon, but I think I'll just watch Gladiator again instead.

drat it, I just started reading this thread and I was going to post this as soon as Braveheart was mentioned.

Braveheart gets drawn and quartered like a bitch; Rob Roy chops that dude in half. I think both of them get cucked. I haven't seen either movie in 10+ years.

the entire loving plot of rob roy is that the dude's wife gets raped

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

I prefer the one with Cuba Gooding Jr and Brian Dennehy

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Justin Tyme posted:

I saw 12 Years a Slave in NC and a bunch of black ladies started having some sort of really loud crying breakdown raging against whitey during the movie so I can confirm

There was a black guy I know on my Facebook unironically saying the protagonist of that movie was a bitch and the slaves were a bunch of morons (historically, not just the film) for not rising up with their superior numbers and killing their captors. He then went on to say that he totally would have done it himself.

Never been so badly owned in my life.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

nomadologique posted:

the entire loving plot of rob roy is that the dude's wife gets raped

Best part

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
rob roy is gonna raise the rape baby bc hes a standup dude

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I want a version of Gladiator where the arena is covered in advertisements, the gladiators come out and shill snake oil before the match begins, and they just kind of poke at each others fat bellies in between bouts of slaughtering un-armed Christians.

They actually did this you know, the famous Gladiators were used to advertise for poo poo.

Punch Card posted:

This needs to be laughed at harder.

What needs to be laughed at is if you think the emperor commodus and the character commodus have anything other than their names and the fact they were roman emperors in common.

It's like the story of king arthur, there literally was a king called arthur and he lived in Britain, but beyond that there's nothing in common.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

Kitchner posted:

They actually did this you know, the famous Gladiators were used to advertise for poo poo.

i think that may be the reason the poster brought it up in the first place but i dunno :shrugs:

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.

Moridin920 posted:

you wouldn't have to go very far, that poo poo happened all the time in ancient Rome

in 41 BC the Praetorian guard killed Caligula and declared some random nephew nobody cared about Emperor

It's actually more ridiculous than that. They declared his Uncle, Claudius, Emperor. Nobody is 100% sure what was wrong with Claudius, with theories ranging from Cerebral Palsy, Polio, to even Tourette's Syndrome, but either way the rest of the family regarded him as "Special" (which he may have played up in order to avoid the various purges that happened between Emperor coups) but the Praetorian Guard figured he'd be better than god drat Caligula. There's a legend that after Caligula was killed, a guard found Claudius hiding behind a curtain and promptly declared him Emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Premeditated Toast posted:

It's actually more ridiculous than that. They declared his Uncle, Claudius, Emperor. Nobody is 100% sure what was wrong with Claudius, with theories ranging from Cerebral Palsy, Polio, to even Tourette's Syndrome, but either way the rest of the family regarded him as "Special" (which he may have played up in order to avoid the various purges that happened between Emperor coups) but the Praetorian Guard figured he'd be better than god drat Caligula. There's a legend that after Caligula was killed, a guard found Claudius hiding behind a curtain and promptly declared him Emperor.

Other roman historians thought Caligula just enjoyed trolling everyone and wasn't crazy.

• Locked thread