Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Volume posted:

I ordered a card shuffler on amazon on Christmas, paid for same day shipping, even though it clearly told me it wouldn't arrive until the 26th. I was fine with that considering I was ordering on Christmas. Like at noon on the 26th I see they sent it to the wrong state but according to the tracker it would still arrive on that day. It never arrived and the tracker note said it'll be there on the 28th.

Naw nigga, I paid for save day shipping not whenever the gently caress y'all get your poo poo together shipping. Amazon refunded me the full cost and shipping fees and said to keep the item.

Card shuffler was a piece of poo poo that didn't even work.

drat white boy that's a good rear end story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
eBay is still good for hobby poo poo and certain collectibles, but if you're looking for rare poo poo you'll pay rare poo poo prices for sure

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Worked out for you in the end, but this is why I never keep a balance on Paypal. As soon as a transaction clears I take it out. If anything happens, ebay/paypal will put your account at a negative balance and demand you put money in it to bring it to 0, but they can't actually force you to or take it from a bank account without your permission. The worst they can do is close your account and ban you from Paypal. They will also call you and pretend to be a collection agency to try to get the money back, but they are unable to actually put anything negative on your credit report, it is illegal for them to do that because of the weird type of account Paypal is. Creating new "Verified Paypal" accounts is easy too if you know a couple tricks.

I basically have to set myself up to be able to scam as a seller just to protect myself as a legit seller, because ebay usually sides 100% with buyer no questions asked.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Meta Ridley posted:

Worked out for you in the end, but this is why I never keep a balance on Paypal. As soon as a transaction clears I take it out. If anything happens, ebay/paypal will put your account at a negative balance and demand you put money in it to bring it to 0, but they can't actually force you to or take it from a bank account without your permission. The worst they can do is close your account and ban you from Paypal. They will also call you and pretend to be a collection agency to try to get the money back, but they are unable to actually put anything negative on your credit report, it is illegal for them to do that because of the weird type of account Paypal is. Creating new "Verified Paypal" accounts is easy too if you know a couple tricks.

Really? I thought they actually could take money directly from your account if a buyer files a claim, that's loving hilarious. I always take my money straight out of PayPal too after paying the shipping, but I didn't know they were powerless if you did that.

goat manilla
Nov 13, 2003

There's apparently a new thing with hipsters who are less of an SJW and more of a hearltess "grey area" criminal. They travel the country and go into every Goodwill and buy poo poo and re-sell it on ebay, craigslist and whatever that new hipster knick knack selling app is. That's probably what all that is. Ebay is just stuff shipped directly from china, used phones or Goodwill knick knacks anymore.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

King Vidiot posted:

Really? I thought they actually could take money directly from your account if a buyer files a claim, that's loving hilarious. I always take my money straight out of PayPal too after paying the shipping, but I didn't know they were powerless if you did that.

They could if the account your paypal was linked to had anything in it. No-fee chequing accounts are awesome.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

goat manilla posted:

There's apparently a new thing with hipsters who are less of an SJW and more of a hearltess "grey area" criminal. They travel the country and go into every Goodwill and buy poo poo and re-sell it on ebay, craigslist and whatever that new hipster knick knack selling app is. That's probably what all that is. Ebay is just stuff shipped directly from china, used phones or Goodwill knick knacks anymore.

Woah, buying something at a low price only to sell it at a higher price. What will those hipsters think of next.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I don't even know how they do that because Goodwill seems to research things now and everything I find there is overpriced for what it is.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

OctoberBlues posted:

I don't even know how they do that because Goodwill seems to research things now and everything I find there is overpriced for what it is.

Yeah, even Craigslist around here has beren horrible for the last year. Yard Sales/Swap Meets really are the last places to find undervalued poo poo

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
How I use Ebay:

Thinking of buying something
Go on Amazon, read the reviews and item description and decide what to buy
Price on Amazon is X plus $5 to $10 shipping
Go to Ebay and search for item
Price on Ebay is $5 to $20 cheaper than on Amazon, and with free shipping
Buy it on Ebay
Review the product on Amazon sometimes, and then get nasty comments by people saying I'm lying because it doesn't say I bought it on Amazon.

It's even better if you find a used book you want on Ebay, because Amazon and that whole "used book shipping takes 20-60 days for the same low price of $4" thing is dumb and it's either free 5 day shipping or a low price to get the book quickly from Ebay.

The only thing Amazon is good for for me is buying directly from Amazon and needing to return a purchase. I bought something and wanted to return it and they told me to take it to UPS or whatever. I show up with just the product in the original packaging, wanting to put it in a bigger box to protect it for the return. The UPS guy just said "You wanna send that to Amazon?" I said yes and he printed a label, took the product from me, stuck the label on it, and threw it in a bin. No protection or tape to even seal the original packaging. It felt sketchy as hell, but I could tell he dealt with this a lot. A week later I got my money back.

edit:

goat manilla posted:

I do about 70% of my clothes shopping in thrift stores and I see a lot of the same people shopping them (all of the local ones). I've talked to two separate women, and overheard another, whose entire income is just going to thrift stores for 2-5 hours and examining all of the clothes and then buying the trendy or vintage or weird stuff and selling it online. The one I talked to said she makes legit bank off the stuff and usually gets 3-6X the price she bought it for, and sometimes more. She said she goes about 3-4 times per week, sun up to sun down in a few shops in the day, just patiently scouring and examining clothes and then the rest of the time dealing with orders online.

Two of the women were in their 40s, one girl was a college girl but not a hipster. Etsy has made this extremely easy for a lot of young people to sell this poo poo online. They just need the word "vintage" and they're making bank.

Haier fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 30, 2015

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Given what a pain it is to use Ebay I'm surprised nothing has come up to effectively take its place. It's always my last choice when looking for anything online.

It's good for collectibles or hard-to-find items, like old LPs and such, and if you're willing to try you can find a pretty fair price, sometimes even a deal.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
i got a bunch of razor blades for $1/a piece. It's $2/blade at a store.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

LegoPirateNinja posted:

i got a bunch of razor blades for $1/a piece. It's $2/blade at a store.

They don't actually expect people to buy those, you're supposed to steal them!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I appreciate the people who buy stuff from China then sell it shipped from the US for free. I don't know how they get by on 50 cent profit but that's not my problem. Godspeed China junk resellers.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

City of Tampa posted:

selling poo poo on ebay is sketchy as gently caress now because buyers can basically say anything and get their money back. and you're hosed.

this, the rules changed about six months ago and unless you've bent over backwards to prove that you did everything right, you're gonna get hosed as a seller

and even if you have proof of shipping and item packaging and what not, they still might side with the buyer because of their "buyer protection" bullshit and you're still out the item and your cash

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Lmfao white van speakers on eBay wanting over 20 bucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151698666487

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

SEALED Oliver Company soundtrack cassette. Please don't outbid me on this guys, I am willing to go up to $40

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oliver-Comp...6cAAOSwsB9WCZXD

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
The only remaining good thing about ebay is all the Hong Kong sellers who can ship a cheaply-made laser pointer keychain made by factory slaves in China to my doorstep for $0.70

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

How I use Ebay:

Thinking of buying something
Go on Amazon, read the reviews and item description and decide what to buy
Price on Amazon is X plus $5 to $10 shipping
Go to Ebay and search for item
Price on Ebay is $5 to $20 cheaper than on Amazon, and with free shipping
Buy it on Ebay
Review the product on Amazon sometimes, and then get nasty comments by people saying I'm lying because it doesn't say I bought it on Amazon.

It's even better if you find a used book you want on Ebay, because Amazon and that whole "used book shipping takes 20-60 days for the same low price of $4" thing is dumb and it's either free 5 day shipping or a low price to get the book quickly from Ebay.

The only thing Amazon is good for for me is buying directly from Amazon and needing to return a purchase. I bought something and wanted to return it and they told me to take it to UPS or whatever. I show up with just the product in the original packaging, wanting to put it in a bigger box to protect it for the return. The UPS guy just said "You wanna send that to Amazon?" I said yes and he printed a label, took the product from me, stuck the label on it, and threw it in a bin. No protection or tape to even seal the original packaging. It felt sketchy as hell, but I could tell he dealt with this a lot. A week later I got my money back.

edit:

I do about 70% of my clothes shopping in thrift stores and I see a lot of the same people shopping them (all of the local ones). I've talked to two separate women, and overheard another, whose entire income is just going to thrift stores for 2-5 hours and examining all of the clothes and then buying the trendy or vintage or weird stuff and selling it online. The one I talked to said she makes legit bank off the stuff and usually gets 3-6X the price she bought it for, and sometimes more. She said she goes about 3-4 times per week, sun up to sun down in a few shops in the day, just patiently scouring and examining clothes and then the rest of the time dealing with orders online.

Two of the women were in their 40s, one girl was a college girl but not a hipster. Etsy has made this extremely easy for a lot of young people to sell this poo poo online. They just need the word "vintage" and they're making bank.

I would do this if I had any kind of idea what sells well on Etsy.

I should maybe learn though, there's tons of good thrift and consignment stores where I am.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Meta Ridley posted:

The only remaining good thing about ebay is all the Hong Kong sellers who can ship a cheaply-made laser pointer keychain made by factory slaves in China to my doorstep for $0.70

Isn't that what http://www.dx.com/ is for?

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Meta Ridley posted:

I basically have to set myself up to be able to scam as a seller just to protect myself as a legit seller, because ebay usually sides 100% with buyer no questions asked.

The last few times that I sold something on ebay they loving held the paypal payment until the tracking number verified that the item was delivered to the buyer. So the payment didn't even get into my paypal account until a week or more after I shipped the item. My ebay account is 10+ years old and has over 100 items sold with perfect feedback and they still did this to me.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I know a guy who buys busted airsoft guns on ebay, fixes them with parts he buys in bulk from Taiwan and then sells them on airsoft forums at insane mark ups.

Infact he's been talking about quitting airsoft poo poo and just making Star Wars blasters instead because they don't have internal parts and sell for more

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 30, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I used to buy 2nd hand model trains off ebay, now they're too expensive, mostly due to really really really REALLY amazingly lovely international shipping and customs charges that ebay decided to bake into the shipping price. Also people only sell things on ebay for retail or above.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I apologize for every bad thing I ever said about ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14991-E-Novelty-Canoe-Chipmunk-Taxidermy-Mount-For-Sale-/161922171392?hash=item25b3504200:g:4bkAAOSw1S9WdGqu

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I run an eBay store as part of my work and it is possible for buyers to screw you over, but 99% of them don't. They just want their poo poo.

Most times when someone tries a spurious return/item not received case I just let them have it, it's not worth wasting the time.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
ebay was good when you had to send money orders to pay for items and stuff. Then paypal came along with higher fees out the wazoo, and every stay at home mom and their grandma fancied them-self a "flipper" or loving antique roadhouse expert and poo poo started to become just as or more expensive than even retail on amazon so what's the point? even more niche stuff is often pretty expensive just from fees and poo poo

craigslist is still pretty good and i've had good experiences buying cheap as hell kindle paperwhites, furniture, used games and other random stuff but I guess I live in a major metropolitan area so that helps. I think one of the best finds was a huge collection of weights/kettlebells/bars for like 20 cents a lb and ended up getting 300 lbs of weight for really cheap

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 30, 2015

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

OctoberBlues posted:

My local thrift shop bases their prices on the retarded 0 bid overpriced poo poo on eBay.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My local thrift stores are barren due to hipsters going in literally every day and buying anything even remotely interesting. Garage sales even more so. All the garage sale signs around me this summer had big "NO EARLY BIRDS" written on them. I asked a few people running them why, and they all told me that at least half a dozen people show up at like 8AM on Saturday and buy anything even remotely valuable: old video games, musical instruments, electronics, etc. I hit up one garage sale at like 9:30 AM and the guy had sold 5 of the 6 guitars he had to 1 person who was waiting in his car for the dude to open up the garage sale. The 1 remaining guitar was a kid-sized bass with completely rusted hardware.
Another time I went to an estate sale and found a box with an Xbox 360 for $30 and a bunch of relatively rare PS1 RPGs for like a buck each. As I reached down to pick it up some lady in her 50s-60s ran up and literally yanked it from my hands and started ranting about how that's her box, and she just put it down for a second to look at other things, etc. I was super tempted to yank it back and ask her what she planned on doing about it, but I'm not a gigantic rear end in a top hat and also didn't feel like getting arrested so I walked away.

I still go to garage sales and find fun random poo poo but I've long ago given up on finding NES games or guitar poo poo. I'd love to own a physical copy of Megaman 2, but gently caress you if you think I'm paying $30 for a game that cost $50 more than 2 decades ago, and which I can emulate on my smart watch if I want.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BigBoss posted:

My local thrift shop bases their prices on the retarded 0 bid overpriced poo poo on eBay.

yeah this is kind of a problem with a lot of those places. there's a big salvation army complex thing that used to be pretty good in the 90s, and still is OK but a lot of nice and rare finds are super expensive or just barren. garage sales are hit or miss because yeah there's a horde of people trying to show up super early to every single one anyways. and they all stand milling around looking up each remotely interesting item on ebay on their phone to see if its worth anything, which also takes the fun out of it

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 30, 2015

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
On a related note, used stuff on Amazon is always extremely overpriced.

Was looking for a vinyl, found it for $99 on Amazon.

It's $0.97 on discogs.

LOL

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It was yesterday. It changed yesterday.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rambling Robot posted:

On a related note, used stuff on Amazon is always extremely overpriced.

Was looking for a vinyl, found it for $99 on Amazon.

It's $0.97 on discogs.

LOL

I noticed this too, I don't get it. It's always something like "$30 new from amazon (Or used starting at $48)

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

goat manilla posted:

i was doing this 10 years ago

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

drunk asian neighbor posted:

My local thrift stores are barren due to hipsters going in literally every day and buying anything even remotely interesting. Garage sales even more so. All the garage sale signs around me this summer had big "NO EARLY BIRDS" written on them. I asked a few people running them why, and they all told me that at least half a dozen people show up at like 8AM on Saturday and buy anything even remotely valuable: old video games, musical instruments, electronics, etc. I hit up one garage sale at like 9:30 AM and the guy had sold 5 of the 6 guitars he had to 1 person who was waiting in his car for the dude to open up the garage sale. The 1 remaining guitar was a kid-sized bass with completely rusted hardware.
Another time I went to an estate sale and found a box with an Xbox 360 for $30 and a bunch of relatively rare PS1 RPGs for like a buck each. As I reached down to pick it up some lady in her 50s-60s ran up and literally yanked it from my hands and started ranting about how that's her box, and she just put it down for a second to look at other things, etc. I was super tempted to yank it back and ask her what she planned on doing about it, but I'm not a gigantic rear end in a top hat and also didn't feel like getting arrested so I walked away.

I still go to garage sales and find fun random poo poo but I've long ago given up on finding NES games or guitar poo poo. I'd love to own a physical copy of Megaman 2, but gently caress you if you think I'm paying $30 for a game that cost $50 more than 2 decades ago, and which I can emulate on my smart watch if I want.

never be afraid to tell an old lady to gently caress off or you'll never make it in this world! That was YOUR box, drat it!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
If you got bested by an old lady you're a bitch.

It's not hard to stand your ground and to tell the old crone that those are your goddamn videogames.

Also what "rare" PSX RPGs?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

If you got bested by an old lady you're a bitch.

It's not hard to stand your ground and to tell the old crone that those are your goddamn videogames.

Also what "rare" PSX RPGs?

Right about then was when I realized to myself "gently caress this poo poo, I can emulate anything up to a PS1 on my PSP/phone/computer/tablet" and gave up on retro gaming poo poo. I have my NES and if I find some cheapo games, great, but I'm not paying $20 for a beat-up copy of Legend of Zelda or anything.

Also nothing super duper rare, just non-greatest hits copies of Vagrant Story, a couple Final Fantasies and the like. The typical "best of PSX RPGs" kind of thing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

City of Tampa posted:

The last few times that I sold something on ebay they loving held the paypal payment until the tracking number verified that the item was delivered to the buyer. So the payment didn't even get into my paypal account until a week or more after I shipped the item. My ebay account is 10+ years old and has over 100 items sold with perfect feedback and they still did this to me.

This. The $650 was pending on eBay, so I couldn't touch it. The guy had left feedback and right as it was supposed to be available he filed the dispute and the money was gone with in a few minutes. It was a joke, it worked out in my favor, but that is probably not the common outcome.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

It's still great for camera equipment. Also, if it says "or best offer" you can usually negotiate a significantly lower price of you are at all good at haggling.

I suck at haggling. There is something I want that is currently $200 or "best offer". What should I offer?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

drunk asian neighbor posted:

How beta are you that you got punked by some old lady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

How beta are you that you got punked by some old lady

Beta enough to not make a scene in a public place? Somehow I don't think "30 year old man with tattoos and full beard arguing with 60 year old rich white lady" would end up in my favor under any circumstances. Feel free to get into a shouting match with an old lady next time you feel wronged though, let me know how that goes.

e: also I try to be optimistic so I looked at it less as "drat I missed out" and more "welp that's $50 I didn't spend on games I'll never really play"

• Locked thread