Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
actually probably not that carefully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Secks Cauldron posted:

Poop-smithing is a noble profession.

It's also profession that was so lovely, the gong farmers were not allowed to live inside town.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Why not have two moats?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Instead of loving with even one moat a lot of castles were built on a really steep hill, sometimes man made, and the end result is basically the same thing but you don't have to gently caress with water.

e: or do something like Ferrara and instead of having the moat around your castle you could have one around your entire city.

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 16, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

Instead of loving with even one moat a lot of castles were built on a really steep hill, sometimes man made, and the end result is basically the same thing but you don't have to gently caress with water.

e: or do something like Ferrara and instead of having the moat around your castle you could have one around your entire city.

A cool note is even though the moat no longer exists, Ferrara still has the original walls around the city. It's a pretty neat well preserved example of trace italienne type fortifications.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I filled mine with pixels and called it an E-moat

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

#citadel

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Quickscope420dad posted:

moats were pre-existing natural phenomena and were utilized for strategic fort and castle placement, OP

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
You know how when you have a really bad illness your poop comes out as brown water? Well, back then everyone had this condition always. That is how they filled the moats.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Ave Azaria posted:

remember this next time some scientist or historian tries to tell you people in the past were just as smart as people today. That's bullshit, people were loving idiots

yo i poop on your head from the shoulders of giants

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I've never seen a moat at a Medieval Times

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Here's the easiest way I know how to explain it, OP.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
This was an informative thread that still allowed for many poop jokes. Goldmine this poo poo

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
in some places in the world, bat poop (aka gauno) is harvested (or "mined") for sale as fuel

literally, a goldmine of poo poo!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
e: not literally, figuratively

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nomadologique posted:

in some places in the world, bat poop (aka gauno) is harvested (or "mined") for sale as fuel

literally, a goldmine of poo poo!

Pecunia non olet

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Secks Cauldron posted:

Poop-smithing is a noble profession.

What? No it wasn't, it was for serfs. I don't think you know what you're talking about, at all.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Ave Azaria posted:

remember this next time some scientist or historian tries to tell you people in the past were just as smart as people today. That's bullshit, people were loving idiots

Not stupid, just inexperienced. It's kind of difficult to set up a drainage system that will be adequate to the task of cleaning out a moat when maybe one guy on the team can do math without counting on his fingers, and your measuring instruments are made out of sticks and such. If we wanted to build a working moat today (without using things like pumps and such) we could do a better job, simply because we can see how all those guys back then screwed up. Engineering is based on improving upon past failures as much as clever calculation and planning.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

dog buttz posted:

Did soldiers actually wear armor back then? Cause if they did, a moat would be deadly. if they didn't, it seems like it would be an inconvenience. Either way, just dig a deep and wide trench around your castle. keep some flaming poo poo for bridges they throw across.

To the point they filled them with water.

I think there's a video out there proving you can swim in full plate armor... a big set was only like 45 lbs, so while incredibly tiring and lovely its certainly not impossible to swim in (apparently, I've never done it).

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
pretty sure the average goon could not swim while wearing full plate armor

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Security Drone posted:

I think there's a video out there proving you can swim in full plate armor... a big set was only like 45 lbs, so while incredibly tiring and lovely its certainly not impossible to swim in (apparently, I've never done it).

Remember that after swimming you would still have to climb a wall and then fight dudes on top of it.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Kanthulhu posted:

Remember that after swimming you would still have to climb a wall and then fight dudes on top of it.

And I'm going to be wet and covered in burning oil?

Forget this. I'm going home to play Elder Scrolls Online.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Zeno-25 posted:

Grains keep for years if they stay dry. You can preserve meat for a few years with enough salt and the right microbes, think prosciutto and salami.

And things like live animals and fresh eggs and milk don't need to be refrigerated.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

burritolingus posted:

And things like live animals and fresh eggs and milk don't need to be refrigerated.

That's because cows and chickens have built in fridges. If you ram a can of beer up a chicken and wait 30mins it comes out perfectly chilled.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Castles were just like old-timey rave clubs in abandoned warehouses, and moats were just the Port-a-johns.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

LordArgh posted:

pretty sure the average goon could not swim while wearing full plate armor

fat floats

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

somewhat carefully

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Suicide Sam E. posted:

And I'm going to be wet and covered in burning oil?

Forget this. I'm going home to play Elder Scrolls Online.

they're throwing rocks and poo poo and whatever garbage they've got on hand down on your head the whole time, too

dicks

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

People are still idiots though?

people in the old days were so retarded, they didnt even know about not making GBS threads everywhere. now id love to stay and chat but ive got a crystal healing session with swami durukchena at the wellness center in fifteen.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
well they did dump corpses right in with the drinking water and I didn't even have to learn about microbes and bacteria and poo poo to know that's a loving retarded disposal system so yeah idk about people a few hundred years ago

I just chalk it up to europeans being stupid as gently caress for a few hundred years there in between the renaissance and the greeks/romans

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

paranoid randroid posted:

people in the old days were so retarded, they didnt even know about not making GBS threads everywhere. now id love to stay and chat but ive got a crystal healing session with swami durukchena at the wellness center in fifteen.

whoa i need my jo crystal recharged too

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

you just dig a ditch around yer castle then desginate it as a pond. with an ample supply of buckets the moat will fill itself

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

since goons are shaped like pears they'll float head down though

Security Drone posted:

poo poo, only 45 lbs? Video games and movies have seriously messed up my perception of history I guess.

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 16, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Gay Hitler posted:

you just dig a ditch around yer castle then desginate it as a pond. with an ample supply of buckets the moat will fill itself
You can also feed it from a river. The trench option is a good one for this. Just set up a system of floodgates and levers. You can also do the supremely badass thing and have the entrance to your fortress be underwater, and can only be opened by pulling levers which close floodgates and stop the flow of water.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

with skill and ingenuity?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Ekster posted:

with skill and ingenuity?

everyone was retarded back then, try to keep up

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gay Hitler posted:

if your moat is big enough and the water is far away enough it might evaporate just as fast as the serfs dump it in though

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

dog buttz posted:

since goons are shaped like pears they'll float head down though

poo poo, only 45 lbs? Video games and movies have seriously messed up my perception of history I guess.

45 pounds isn't that heavy to pick up in weight form, but try running and fighting with it wrapped around you.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

The X-man cometh posted:

45 pounds isn't that heavy to pick up in weight form, but try running and fighting with it wrapped around you.

The Something Awful Forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Hahah

• Locked thread