Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fivethree
Jul 28, 2014
thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Threw bodies in.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Everyone living in the castle pees in it. After a few months the moat is finished.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost
Very, very carefully

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga
pick your poison:

- corvee
- peepee/poopoo in the well
- groundwater
- well was actually dry
- near a canal

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
they put alligators in them

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

[Build] -> [Moat] -> [Right-click]

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
moats were pre-existing natural phenomena and were utilized for strategic fort and castle placement, OP

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I'm not sure if the original concept of a moat included water. I think the idea was to force castle invaders to have a sharp descent into a vulnerable position and then a steep hill to climb up over. I think these trenches that surrounded castles just happened to occasionally fill with either groundwater or rain, which made them even more difficult to cross.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
With gbs posts

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I'm not sure if the original concept of a moat included water. I think the idea was to force castle invaders to have a sharp descent into a vulnerable position and then a steep hill to climb up over. I think these trenches that surrounded castles just happened to occasionally fill with either groundwater or rain, which made them even more difficult to cross.

this and seeing as bodies of water helped augment fortifications anyway, building near one and then filling the moat is pretty much just a matter of redirecting some of that water? hth op

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
op what is your opinion on flan

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Have you never heard of a bucket you dolt?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Merlin.

He went around conjuring water for all the moats.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
cum

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Early Moats were shallow pits Covered by a later of Saran-Wrap which would ripple in the breeze, tricking the enemy into thinking is was water.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Very carefully.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Maybe it just rained and the water had no way to run off too?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Don't forget the spikes at the bottom

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Nobody filled them in. They just discovered the moats and then built castles in the middle of them. Perhaps the moats were created by an ancient, advanced society? Perhaps UFOs built the moats. Bigfoot? Experts can't say for sure, but one thing is known for certain; whoever built the moats possessed moat making technology far beyond anything seen, even in the modern age.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
Q: How did (difficult thing) get done in medieval times?

A: Make the serfs do it lol

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Did soldiers actually wear armor back then? Cause if they did, a moat would be deadly. if they didn't, it seems like it would be an inconvenience. Either way, just dig a deep and wide trench around your castle. keep some flaming poo poo for bridges they throw across.

To the point they filled them with water.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I think the best question is: Why aren't them building moats like crazy in The Walking Dead?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
no people didn't wear armor back then

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Kanthulhu posted:

I think the best question is: Why aren't them building moats like crazy in The Walking Dead?

Because they are too busy spending 8 episodes on a story arc involving sitting walking from one place to another. Riveting!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lol owned

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

lol

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

dog buttz posted:

Did soldiers actually wear armor back then? Cause if they did, a moat would be deadly. if they didn't, it seems like it would be an inconvenience. Either way, just dig a deep and wide trench around your castle. keep some flaming poo poo for bridges they throw across.

To the point they filled them with water.

You can swim in most armours doofus, they arent that heavy.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I'd say it was less water and more sewage

people pooped EVERYWHERE back in the good old days and didn't have to worry

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm not going to give away my trade secrets but as a moat contractor I have my ways.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 15, 2014

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Were there ever fish in moats? That'd be p cool

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If it wasn't built next to the ocean or a river, the moat was just a big ditch that made it harder to scale or damage the castle walls and gave archers on the top of the walls a bit better angle to shoot at attackers, hth

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Kanthulhu posted:

Because zombies can't drown, duh

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Frank Horrigan posted:

Because zombies can't drown, duh

They can't climb either.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I'd say it was less water and more sewage

people pooped EVERYWHERE back in the good old days and didn't have to worry

You used a garderobe, if you were lucky:

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Spit

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Zeno-25 posted:

You used a garderobe, if you were lucky:

Poop-smithing is a noble profession.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

Prawned posted:

[Build] -> [Moat] -> [Right-click]

How much gold did it require?

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

duhhh I dunno freakin retard maybe with all those people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Kanthulhu posted:

They can't climb either.

you're really best off with a tree fort or similarly unreachable raised area instead of just a trench/moat, the zombies will be too stupid to attack the foundation if it's not directly between you and them and as long as you don't run out of poo poo to toss down at them they'll wait for you to kill them at your leisure

• Locked thread