Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm going to be watching
Bakemonogatari
Patlabor
Both!
Neither
View Results

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Next monday: tsubasa cat part 1: the bit that aired on TV, feat. the best episode of the season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I have had it with these monkey-fighting snakes on these Monday-to-Friday girls!

Kylra posted:

Ok, how was this supposed to be bad? I still enjoyed it a lot. I guess if this is the worst then I'm hooked.

So far, this was the most fanservice-heavy arc, which some people* may have a lower tolerance for than others.

*: Not naming any names.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Namtab posted:

Girlfriends araragi has: 1
Girlfriends the typical goon has, has had, will have: 0

I'm gonna curse you with snakes!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kylra posted:

Ok, how was this supposed to be bad? I still enjoyed it a lot. I guess if this is the worst then I'm hooked.

Also casually dropping hints about Hanekawa's backstory like that. Such a tease.

It's not the worst of all monogatari, it's just the worst arc of the season. The fanservice went too far which diminished how much I enjoy it, and this is me talking.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I do like the abrupt ending, though. Really makes the message about araragis character sink in.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I mean, I wouldn't watch this episode with somebody else in the room with me.

If we decide to keep up with *monogatari simulwatches, I hope we get a good summary of Nisemonogatari. Some pretty important stuff (and some real good dialogue/art) happens between all the :stare:.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I'd argue this is the worst Monogatari arc, but I can't back that up without spoilers.

So whose job is it to post all the Snake OP mashups that the internet was briefly obsessed with making?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Dzhay posted:

I'd argue this is the worst Monogatari arc, but I can't back that up without spoilers.

So whose job is it to post all the Snake OP mashups that the internet was briefly obsessed with making?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEoMI9BwHp4
https://gilvasunner.bandcamp.com/track/metal-gear-renaising

Hey, it's a catchy tune.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Command Ant posted:

Araragi really is selfless to a fault.

Seriously, it's a character flaw that keeps popping up and frequently makes situations much more troublesome than they should be. It says a lot that Kanbaru had to save him from his own desire to risk his life for someone he's never even met.

As for Nadeko, it's hard to talk about her at all without spoilers for future seasons. After I saw these first two episodes that she's in, I'm pretty sure I just thought she was by far the most boring person in the series so far and that she really needs to stop crushing on a dude who's too old for her and she hasn't even seen in ~six years.

Welp, my least favorite arc is over and now we get to look forward to the strong finish next week, after some great Patlabor episodes of course!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

HellCopter posted:

I mean, I wouldn't watch this episode with somebody else in the room with me.

If we decide to keep up with *monogatari simulwatches, I hope we get a good summary of Nisemonogatari. Some pretty important stuff (and some real good dialogue/art) happens between all the :stare:.

I mean, you should definitely watch nise before I do the thread for the rest of monogatari, just be prepared for two bad episodes that are the reason why it's a bad idea to have it as a simul

I will write a summary though, of each episode, the character's introduced, and the themes of the season.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Command Ant posted:

So far, this was the most fanservice-heavy arc, which some people* may have a lower tolerance for than others.

*: Not naming any names.

Namtab posted:

It's not the worst of all monogatari, it's just the worst arc of the season. The fanservice went too far which diminished how much I enjoy it, and this is me talking.
Oh, that. I have a high skeevy tolerance. Plus, I don't think I would have found those scenes particularly sexy even with adult animes which probably helps. Kind of like that scene after Senjougahara took a shower similarly didn't register that way for me.

I thought you all meant it was going to be boring or something in addition to any of the skeevy stuff.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Mentat Radnor posted:

As for Nadeko, it's hard to talk about her at all without spoilers for future seasons. After I saw these first two episodes that she's in, I'm pretty sure I just thought she was by far the most boring person in the series so far and that she really needs to stop crushing on a dude who's too old for her and she hasn't even seen in ~six years.

All more or less true, but I would add that she has a really cool hat.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's my job to tease things for the future, and its hard to tease nadekos arc well.

In the in character commentary, all the characters agree that she's the most cunning/dangerous.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kylra posted:

I thought you all meant it was going to be boring or something in addition to any of the skeevy stuff.

It's skeevy in an uncomfortable way rather than a more self aware way

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Namtab posted:

It's skeevy in an uncomfortable way rather than a more self aware way
Yeah, I get it, and agree. At least 90-95% of it was basically just purely gratuitous about what looks like a kid. Even if they felt they absolutely had to do the snake scales on skin thing.

And that dialogue segment.

Don't get me wrong, my eye muscles got a pretty decent workout from rolling.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Kylra posted:

It has the bad luck to be sandwiched in between Kanbaru's arc and Tsubasa Cat, which makes it boring by comparison. Next week is going to be a whole lot more :tviv: in more than one way.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Kylra posted:

It also lacked Senjougahara, who has been pretty tied into the previous three arcs. It makes Nadeko Snake feel more like filler.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Darox posted:

It also lacked Senjougahara, who has been pretty tied into the previous three arcs. It makes Nadeko Snake feel more like filler.

A lot of second season feels like filler if you put it that way.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

A lot of second season feels like filler if you put it that way.

Second season doesn't feel as focused on Senjougahara & Araragi and their relationship though. So far in bakemono she's had her own arc, spent most of Mayois arc chatting up Araragi, was tied up in Kanbarus issues, and even dominates the ED. If I were to pick the main female character of bakemono Senjougahara would win easily. Nadekos arc is the odd one out.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Darox posted:

Second season doesn't feel as focused on Senjougahara & Araragi and their relationship though. So far in bakemono she's had her own arc, spent most of Mayois arc chatting up Araragi, was tied up in Kanbarus issues, and even dominates the ED. If I were to pick the main female character of bakemono Senjougahara would win easily. Nadekos arc is the odd one out.

Nadeko's arc doesn't really fit in until later seasons, which puts it all in context, and even connects to Senjougahara. Basically her story here introduces her and her relation to Araragi, but it won't do much beyond that until later.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

But enough about second season

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Those trumpets go with anything. See also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3IgwLT_mYc

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

One thing that struck me about this arc is that all the previous ones were just as much about the girl as they were about Araragi, whereas this one was just about Araragi. While the oddities in Hitagi Crab and Suruga monkey had great metaphorical meaning to the people afflicted the one in Nadeko Snake feels like it just happened so Araragi could try to stop it and have his revelation.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

That's just what the sneaky snakey wants you to think.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Also why is Nadeko's hair green in the opening?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Droyer posted:

Also why is Nadeko's hair green in the opening?

Probably for the same reason that Kanbaru is green for part of her OP.

SHAFT likes to change colors around a lot, especially hair colors. One of the episodes we watched has a scene with Senjogahara standing outside her apartment and her hair is brown instead of purple, mostly to match the dim yellow lighting at night but I still noticed it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

:3:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
vroom vroom

Made an avatar version too, but on second thought it may be too plain.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Kanbaru is the best girl

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

tonight! scooby doo & gojira

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

tonight! scooby doo & gojira

Except in the opposite order

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I am now convinced that there is a hidden conspiracy to make me 10 to 15 minutes late for every simul. Not enough to remove all hope, but not soon enough to actually watch things with people.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Let this be a lesson to all of you: Never work.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

If you work you will never be able to watch anime again.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
10 minutes!

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
You die if you work.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I'm missing the patlabor simul again, but I remember tonight's episodes being hilarious! Enjoy, everybody, I'll catch up tomorrow.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Kylra posted:

I am now convinced that there is a hidden conspiracy to make me 10 to 15 minutes late for every simul. Not enough to remove all hope, but not soon enough to actually watch things with people.

You'll never prove it

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Blhue posted:

You'll never prove it

I will defeat you next week I swear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

HOW LONG TILL IT STARTS