Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

The OP for this post has been updated to be less terrible-jokey and more actual information.

I also added a character bio section...

Sundowner posted:

Booker DeWitt
Booker is the player character and protagonist of Infinite. Before coming to Columbia he spent his years as a private investigator based in New York, drinking and gambling away his money. How he came to meet the strangers rowing him toward the lighthouse and why he was taken to Columbia remains a mystery.

Zachary Hale Comstock
Comstock is the perceivably benevolent leader of the denizens of Columbia. Often revered and shown great deals of unabiding love and idolization from his followers. A very successful business man and later politician. Took to the skies with the founding of Columbia and left America in the dirt, believing Colbuma to be the pinnacle of American Exceptionalism.

Character bios will be updated as more information is revealed through the story or voxophones.

Title suggestions are still welcome and sorely needed. I intend to make bonus posts showing some cool things off about the game as well as maybe digging out some concept and in-game art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Sundowner posted:

The OP for this post has been updated to be less terrible-jokey and more actual information.

The majority of the video is just you being quiet. I'm not sure what you're asking us to critique, here. I get that the intro is supposed to be all immersive, but if you're wanting constructive criticism, you haven't given us much to work with. The little commentary you have is fine, but right now I'm not seeing the point. If I wanted to be immersed into bioshock infinite, I would just go play bioshock infinite, you know? It's not like it's some sort of hidden gem.

It seems to me that subtitles would be a better format, unless you've got a lot to add to the combat/puzzle/more video-gamey aspects of the game.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
Yeah the first video here, at least I felt, left little room to talk about much, I even said it was hard for me not to just comment on almost everything you see in that first 30 minutes because it's all important, but only if you're keen to it and think about it in the context of the late game but the next video has a lot more room for commentary (as it introduces combat). As for playing vs watching, you could say the same about any game though? I could either watch an LP of a game I've seen just to see someone else's take on it or find things I may have missed, I could watch it blindly and see the game without playing or, sure, I could just go play the game. I think that's true of any LP.

I would say System Shock 2 is a game all about immersion but Psych was able to talk up a storm when appropriate. I'm not saying I'm on the same level as Psych as he seems to have a knack for it but the point is commentary can work on immersive games. Infinite is also a little more lavish and "open" than the first two games were, there's a lot of people and the world is pretty lively so I don't feel like voice commentary conflicts with that too much where in BioShock it may do so because that game is so quiet and lacking an abundance of life around Rapture.

I'll put together the second video today if I'm not busy or tomorrow and see if that gives a better example of my approach to commentary. If it's really not worth it I may consider subtitles, though I much prefer voice commentary. I removed the bit from the OP that mentioned it (as it felt superfluous) but commentary will be sparse during areas that are better left to watching and I'll be talking more during combat bits or areas where there's a lot of moving around and not a lot of actual narrative.

I don't think there's no value in sparse commentary, I just want to hit the right balance of talking enough but not talking too much.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 25, 2013

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire

Niggurath posted:

While those seem to play at a 'correct' speed (or a bit fast in some cases), they seem like they're suffering some quality loss overall in comparison to your screenshots you showed earlier. Might just be my eyes though.

Also, the program that's going around the PYF gif thread now is Gifcam and it seems to work pretty well for me for the most part, and is actually pretty easy to use overall. There's also a goon modified version (gooncam) that will allow to edit individual frames better.

The non-animated screenshots are saved as PNG files, because the game contains a lot of colours. The backgrounds are 3D with sprites walking on top, meaning there's a lot of colours in the backgrounds which gifs lose. I still want to use GIFs to show animations in the game though, because they're pretty cute and I feel the animations add a lot of emotion that's worth conveying. So if there's a quality difference, it might be between the PNGs and GIFs.

Anyways, here's a gif I made with GIFcam next to one of the images I posted earlier: http://imgur.com/a/okdA4 The GIFcam one is the second one. I don't see a quality difference, but GIFcam is easier than what I was doing before, so I might switch over. I'll also take a look at Gooncam. And if that's all ok, i'll make another test post that has all this critique in mind!

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

I want to thank everyone for the positive feedback so far. I took some time today to re-adjust my strategy, learn a few new editing tricks, and test out some new equipment and a new microphone setup. I'm quickly realizing that practicing a segment of the game a few times before doing a final take is very helpful. I've always enjoyed LPers who can play a game really well, so why not practice a bit and polish my skills right?

I'm saving the better video for last, but I thought I'd post my practice files anyway.

Michael Kelsey's "Return to Phobos" for Doom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edGG-7wS7Cw

Yes I know, Doom again. I want to try to get back on the horse one more time since I fell off of it miserably the last time.

I re-watched my LP of Doom 2, and I wasn't pleased at all with it. You're right, it was awful. So, I decided to test out an LP of a pwad that nobody has ever done an LP of, and in my opinion is one of the best pwads ever made for the game Doom. I comment much less about the design and makeup of the game and do a practiced runthrough. I ran through the first level about 5 times before recording to make sure it looked like I was playing with at least some competence. Plus, it's a pwad that hardly anyone has played through with plenty of monsters and switch puzzles, but if it's done well enough people might enjoy watching it since it's all new territory?

Castlevania - Symphony of the Night Introduction, Dracula, and Death
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAScRy0fUNk

The next video is the one I spent the most time on today - Castlevania Symphony of the Night. I spent a bit of time learning how to effectively record with Fraps, and learning how to use that with Camtasia 7 to produce videos with faded/transitioned audio, comments, and a post-recorded narration. This enabled me to just focus on the game at first, then hide away comments that I didn't want aired in a later narration. I was also able to defeat Dracula in the beginning without taking a hit for the beta video, so I'm glad I remembered how to do that. I spent probably 3-4 hours on this one recording since I had to learn so many new things, but I'm pleased with my progress in making LPs so far compared to my initial videos that are already live.

I just did a 10 minute segment to see what people thought, and to test file sizes and editing time. If I do this LP, I really want to do it well so I'm okay with the time I'll need to get it right. I've also got the original soundtrack here on my computer so that will help with speeding along video if I have to double back for any reason, or for editing purposes.

I'm being VERY meticulous with the mixing levels for this game since the music is so amazing through most of it.

I need to attempt some sleep but I'll be back later today to read and absorb the feedback.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I was planning a SOTN LP a few weeks back and was urged not to do it because SOTN's one of those games that there are hundreds, if not thousands of LPs on YouTube and I was asked if my potential commentary would've really added anything significant to that over-saturated pile. Mine didn't, and watching your video doesn't exactly inspire confidence that we'll be seeing anything significantly different. I'm not saying your video is bad, but tons of people have already played this game and an LP kind of isn't necessary.

As for the video itself, it was fine, but you really shouldn't talk nonstop. All of your commentary was kind of overwhelming, so try to space out your comments and let the game speak for itself. I noticed you were mentioning obvious things that we, the viewers, can see perfectly well, like there was no need to give us a play by play of Alucard running through the forest AS he was running through it. It also probably wouldn't have been a bad idea to show off all of the fancy moves Richter can do, like his whip tackle, or his uppercut.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Sundowner posted:

I asked for title suggestions for a reason!

Songbird is watching. Let's Play Bioshock Infinite.

God Only Knows You'd Spin Me Right Round. Bioshock Infinite.

I told you he'd pick heads in Bioshock Infinite.

My pants set people on fire when I punch them in Bioshock Infinite.

BoredumIncarnate
Apr 24, 2008

Sundowner posted:

Title suggestions are still welcome and sorely needed.

I found LP! Here, catch Bioshock Infinite!

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
Thanks for those. Hell of a lot better than the poo poo I originally thought up :v:, also I'm uploading the second video now which has a lot more commentary, hopefully paced well enough and out of the way of anything important.

Edit: Alright, here's the second BioShock Infinite video with a lot more commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1VNNxsxY9w

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 25, 2013

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

kalonZombie posted:

I told you he'd pick heads in Bioshock Infinite.

I don't usually title threads goofy like everyone else does, but that one is a winner in my book.

BoredumIncarnate
Apr 24, 2008

Sundowner posted:

Alright, here's the second BioShock Infinite video with a lot more commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1VNNxsxY9w

I liked it (and not just because it's odd to hear someone with the same accent as me on here). Not too chatty but not too much dead air either in my opinion.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
I'm not quite content with the title options so far. I've been snooping around but I can't really think of anything that isn't either heavily foreshadowing (and thus may devalue when things actually happen in game) or they don't fit within the character limit (75 letters).

Bring us the girl, and wipe away the debt. Let's Play BioShock Infinite is about the most obvious one.

Fill your cravings at the circus of values! Let's Play BioShock Infinite (from the loud salesman during the raffle and fair)

"You only live once" - Booker DeWitt, 1912. Let's Play BioShock Infinite (actually said in game when picking up a vigor)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Well, the general advice applies: It's in good form not to talk over in-game dialogue, or to offer a second version of the video with conflicting commentary edited out.

Also, some of you guys seem to be unfamiliar with the setting: Turn it into an advantage by being informative and answering questions the game (and your buddies) raises! Don't just shove unexplained issues aside.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Quantum Theory and Racism: Bioshock Infinite

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Got an OP for constructive criticism and commentary here, won't be opening the thread for a week or two, but here it is... Well, part of it (I'm going to be doing as much of the series as I can)

It's an OP, see? posted:

Floating Rapidly To Victory - Let's Play The Wipeout Series!

Wipeout (1995 [PS1, PC], 1996 [Saturn], Psygnosis Interactive and The Designers Republic)

When it first came out, Wipeout was a sensation, almost instantly hitting Number 1 on every format it came out on. Even though it's been largely forgotten except by a handful of hardcore fans, the first game still ages well, gameplay wise, and shows many of the features, in-embryo, that would go on to make the series great: Handling that's deliberately slightly floaty, mostly wedge shaped Anti-Gravity rocket-cars shooting round a specially constructed track blowing the poo poo out of each other, and the importance of air-brakes.

But, since this was the first game, then developers Psygnosis and the Designers Republic hadn't entirely got their poo poo together, both in terms of gameplay and track design. Weapons don't kill, they only stall, and hitting the walls can be perfectly fine so long as you don't hit them too hard. You can also catch a ride on a boost pad immediately afterwards, but this game contains not one, but two extremely unfair tracks out of its seven track repertoire. It also didn't have all the speed classes of the later games, instead only having Venom (slowish) , Rapier (faster), and the Piranha Challenge (unique to this game). Little changes except the viciousness of the AI and the speed, but that's enough to make this game extremely challenging.

The game, afaik, has been available on the PSP and PS3's PlayStation Network since 2007.

So, How's This Gonna Go?

Firstly, I'll be demonstrating the tracks, two each update, and using a different craft for the first four. Then I'll be switching to the other pilots of each team for the last two normal tracks (God help me), then we'll be racing for the championships, and we'll have the first Wipeout GoonRace! Finally, I'll be showing the game's unlocks, and mentioning some differences between the PS1 and PC versions (mainly cheats). I'll also be describing teams and their pilots in each track update, as this is one of only two games in the series to have pilot bios.

Track 1: Altima VII

Video Here

MUSIC: Messij, by Cold Storage (YT Link)

Altima VII, in Canada, is Babby's First Track. It shows the basic concepts of how various track features work, like tunnels, climbs, and jumps, and begins to induct you into the dark art of good attitude control. It's also a fairly wide track for Wipeout, with very little narrowing, and no splits. However, as we'll see, it already has a few tight curves

Pilot: Paul Jackson, FEISAR

I won't even try defending the character art. This is one of the reasons why...

It doesn't matter which pilot you pick, but if you want something that can handle all but the tightest of corners without air-brakes (thus giving you bad habits), the Feisar is the craft for you. It's got high acceleration, allowing you to recover from mistakes quickly, and while it can't literally turn on a dime, it's one of the few craft that can take a lot of corners without airbrakes. Unfortunately, it also has the worst top speed, and the low mass means that attitude control is extremely important to handle it properly. As a pilot, Paul Jackson is only remarkable because, beyond his birth year of 2016, nothing is revealed about his history. He's the 2nd Pilot for Feisar, and supposedly their best kept secret.

Jay's FEISAR FactSheet

How do you play with a Feisar? Dirty. Dick over your opponents in any way you humanly can, because the only team that has better acceleration than you is AG Systems, and everybody has a better top speed. Use your mobility to its limits, hone your racing line, and remember: FEISAR craft only win in Venom or Rapier tournaments with aggressive combat tactics!

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 25, 2013

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Quantum Theory and Racism: Bioshock Infinite

Haha I like it. That may be the one as I'd rather not sit on the tired BRING US THE GURL stuff.

Edit: So title stuff aside, how is this looking? Thread worthy yet? I think I'm set on doing voice commentary but I want to know if (using the second video as a gauge) I'm striking the right balance of talking as well as if I'm being informative enough without spending 12 minutes talking about the vertices of that one Gondola in Columbia :v:.

Double edit: I went ahead with the thread, thanks for the input everyone! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3566891

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 25, 2013

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Sundowner posted:

Edit: So title stuff aside, how is this looking? Thread worthy yet? I think I'm set on doing voice commentary but I want to know if (using the second video as a gauge) I'm striking the right balance of talking as well as if I'm being informative enough without spending 12 minutes talking about the vertices of that one Gondola in Columbia :v:.

I have no objections. The first video was a bit too sparse on the commentary, but the second one seems just fine to me, informativeness and all.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

I was planning a SOTN LP a few weeks back and was urged not to do it because SOTN's one of those games that there are hundreds, if not thousands of LPs on YouTube and I was asked if my potential commentary would've really added anything significant to that over-saturated pile. Mine didn't, and watching your video doesn't exactly inspire confidence that we'll be seeing anything significantly different. I'm not saying your video is bad, but tons of people have already played this game and an LP kind of isn't necessary.

As for the video itself, it was fine, but you really shouldn't talk nonstop. All of your commentary was kind of overwhelming, so try to space out your comments and let the game speak for itself. I noticed you were mentioning obvious things that we, the viewers, can see perfectly well, like there was no need to give us a play by play of Alucard running through the forest AS he was running through it. It also probably wouldn't have been a bad idea to show off all of the fancy moves Richter can do, like his whip tackle, or his uppercut.

Thanks. Someone mentioned that they wanted to see a SotN let's play in the request thread and I thought it'd be good practice. The audio commentary is a separate channel so I can cut that down a bit.

I had some ideas of doing like a Luck 999 stat run (just for shits and giggles) but cheating through a Let's Play is oft frowned upon. I've done a run through before with the Luck stat that high and it's quite interesting because you see all of the rare drops from every monster. But, maybe it's only interesting to me...

Thanks!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

valkhorn posted:

Thanks. Someone mentioned that they wanted to see a SotN let's play in the request thread and I thought it'd be good practice. The audio commentary is a separate channel so I can cut that down a bit.

I had some ideas of doing like a Luck 999 stat run (just for shits and giggles) but cheating through a Let's Play is oft frowned upon. I've done a run through before with the Luck stat that high and it's quite interesting because you see all of the rare drops from every monster. But, maybe it's only interesting to me...

Thanks!

Just sayin, if you really wanna do a SotN run, please do the 999 luck run because I'd really like to see all of the rare drops from enemies because grinding for them just to see what they are is tedious and boring. Super high luck shouldn't change too much of the game, so maybe make that your main run of the game if you're gonna go through with it?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ChaosArgate posted:

Just sayin, if you really wanna do a SotN run, please do the 999 luck run because I'd really like to see all of the rare drops from enemies because grinding for them just to see what they are is tedious and boring. Super high luck shouldn't change too much of the game, so maybe make that your main run of the game if you're gonna go through with it?

except you can accidentally cheese hard enemies/bosses via random critical.
Higher Luck means higher crit damage. at 999 youd be doing around 500+ damage with crits, when most bosses in the first part have only about a few hundred

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Higher Luck means higher crit damage. at 999 youd be doing around 500+ damage with crits, when most bosses in the first part have only about a few hundred

I'd say that's a good thing. More than likely, there's about a hundred or so LPs where they either keep dying or prolong the battle. So yeah, it'd be considerably refreshing.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
I had people complaining whenever I finished bosses off too quickly in earlier Castlvania's in my old thread, so when I did SOTN I intentionally dragged some fights out so bosses could show their attacks, but it did get harder to do in later fights since the game gets reeeeally easy and you get really powerful really quickly to the point things just kinda fall apart when you look at them.

It's a delicate balance really. Though no excuse for people who die to easy boss fights.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

Zeratanis posted:

I had people complaining whenever I finished bosses off too quickly in earlier Castlvania's in my old thread, so when I did SOTN I intentionally dragged some fights out so bosses could show their attacks, but it did get harder to do in later fights since the game gets reeeeally easy and you get really powerful really quickly to the point things just kinda fall apart when you look at them.

It's a delicate balance really. Though no excuse for people who die to easy boss fights.

widespread posted:

I'd say that's a good thing. More than likely, there's about a hundred or so LPs where they either keep dying or prolong the battle. So yeah, it'd be considerably refreshing.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

ChaosArgate posted:

I have done a 999 Luck run (unrecorded) of SotN and there are a few things to point out (some of you got the points correct)

The rare drops are always there, which means 20 Crissaegrims in 15 minutes
    You sometimes have a critical blow which is based off of your Luck stat. With a crissaegrim that means you could get rid of every boss in under 10 seconds, and most of them in under 2.
    999 Luck doesn't help you with EVERY battle. Legion (the really tough boss in the inverted castle) still needs strategy to defeat.
    Some LPers would probably see it as 'cheating', but I admit, even though it makes the game a lot easier, it doesn't get rid of annoying elemental bosses or Medusa heads - or that ridiculous gear puzzle in the clocktower.

One advantage though:

I can pretty much show off and display every weapon/accessory in the game.

I've done separate playthroughs of 999 Strength and 999 Intelligence, and nothing changes the game more than 999 Luck.

Maybe I'll piece together a thread and an LP outline along with the sample video with edited commentary and let you guys decide what version you want to see? I am getting happy with the editing and video quality, so I just have to practice commentary now.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Alright, let's take a look at what I have for the "Let's Get Better At" thread below:

Let's Get Better at...Rogue Legacy

Table of Contents

click the image to go directly to the main post for the game

What is this thread?
This is the Let's Get Better thread, a place for people to LP and ask for advice on a number of session based games like Rogue Legacy, Binding of Issac, XCom and others. Participation is pretty simple, provide video or screenshots of you playing the game and pointing out what you need help with and other players will make suggestions based on the videos or screenshots you provide to help you do better. With each update you try to incorporate the ideas the thread provided and let us know if they helped or not and what else you want to improve upon. Experienced players can dispense advice or post videos to show techniques and methods they use in order to help the less experienced. The thread will rotate games based on reader suggestions and votes every couple weeks, but maintains the ability to keep the same game for extended periods of time (more on that later).

How do I participate?
As mentioned above, participation is going to be done one of two ways. First is the "Help me get better" part of things. You'll post video or screenshots of you playing the game with some form of commentary and ask the thread to critique how you played. You'll then update the thread with a new video showing how you incorporated the ideas posted. The other half is "Let me help you get better" where experienced players will give tips and advice to those playing the game, either through posts or their own video/screenshot examples of their methods. Players soliciting advice are encouraged to help each other out as well. Post your links or screenshots in the thread and I'll update the individual game OPs with that information daily.

Rotating Games?
One of the suggestions the Sandcastle made was to rotate games every couple weeks. The way I'm handling this is to let the thread call out what they want to see done next. For the first week of a new game posters are encouraged to suggest which game they would like to see next keeping in mind that it has to be a replayable game where you can show progress over successive playthroughs or lives At the end of the first week I'll put up a poll that will include the current game being played for the thread to vote on. Thursday night I'll tally up the votes and announce the next game so people can get started on content for that game.

What Examples of games can you provide?
Rogue-likes are good examples, session based strategy games like the XCom series, games built to be difficult like NES Contra may work as well. Horde Modes like those found in Call of Duty, Gears of War and Halo are also fair game in my opinion as you can see people make progress over the course of several sessions. I'd like to see a good mix of games in here.

Can I bring friends along?
If you want to do a co-commentary LP, or a post commentary LP or a live commentary LP it is really all the same, just come looking to get advice or to share advice.

Let's get on to the thread!

2nd Post: Game One: Rogue Legacy

click below for a video intro and gameplay

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON'T DELETE YOUR SAVE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO, LATE GAME CHARACTERS WELCOME

Rogue Legacy is a 2D side scrolling Rogue-like. You play as a succession of heirs trying to conquer an ever changing castle. It features a number of classes and traits, weapons, armors and spells along with runes that can be equipped. This is a game where you are meant to die a lot and try to adapt to the classes and traits to find what works best for your playstyle. Classes all have different base multipliers and stats that can be manipulated through building your manor after each run. For example, the low attack stat mage can eventually one-hit high level enemies if you invest correctly. Each character will (usually) have a couple traits that range from silly jokes (Baldness, Irritable Bowel Syndrome) to completely changing how the game is played (Vertigo, Muscle Weakness). The trick is to picking from classes and traits that may not be immediately appealing to you and trying to put forward the best possible effort.

The game can be a bit daunting to new players, it not only isn't easy, but offers such a huge variety of classes, traits and upgrade paths that it isn't immediately apparent how to go forward. That's what the thread is here for.

Thread LPs

Thread reader's attempts at the game would be here

General Thread Advice

common themes in the advice would be put here based on the first people to suggest courses of action

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

Hey guys, doing a Frozen Synapse Let's Play. It's my first lets play so any constructive criticism would be appreciated.

The plan is to play multiplayer with goons, provide feedback and get some tournaments going, and also LP the single player.

The thread title will be Ducking doesn't help your aim! Let's play Frozen Synapse

The OP will be here: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=15205

The second post will begin the Single Player campaign here: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=15206

Let me know if I'm doing anything horribly horribly wrong

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Lazyfire posted:

Alright, let's take a look at what I have for the "Let's Get Better At" thread below:

Let's Get Better at...Rogue Legacy

Well, it sure gives the basic idea, Lazyfire, but a thread like this, due to the need for user content, isn't really well-suited to going through the Sandcastle first.

...What I'm basically saying is "Just go ahead with it already, since it requires newbies." Also, yes, it is a very pretty OP. and very clear too. But without input, it will only ever be an OP, so go for it!

Khris Kruel posted:

Frozen Synapse Let's Play. It's my first lets play so any constructive criticism would be appreciated.

The OP could probably be split into two for starters, as units really deserves its own post. As to the update? All I saw were images, man. Lots... and lots... of images. On the one hand, yes, you have managed to screenshot pretty much every important moment of the introduction. On the other, this ends up being the SSLP equivalent of reaction commentary. Largely useless. For example, that first eight or so screenshots, with the login and the countdown? You could have just transcribed the whole drat lot.

Also, an intro is not really in-game stuff, so we can't possibly judge anything beyond your current (and thankfully fixable) inability to write text that supports some images and removes the need for others. Basically:

- Be more informative. This really isn't suited for narration, and not being able to say anything about the plot (minimalistic as it is, it is right there) is a bad sign.
- Don't make an entire update of screenshots. Remember, you don't want a blow by blow, you want to make people see why you enjoy the game. A bunch of screenshots on their own does jack toward that.

That'll get you started toward a better OP, hope it helps.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

JamieTheD posted:

Well, it sure gives the basic idea, Lazyfire, but a thread like this, due to the need for user content, isn't really well-suited to going through the Sandcastle first.

...What I'm basically saying is "Just go ahead with it already, since it requires newbies." Also, yes, it is a very pretty OP. and very clear too. But without input, it will only ever be an OP, so go for it!

I sort of had a twofold idea here, one was to get people to critique the way this is all set up in case things didn't look right. I can always change stuff as we go forward, but I like to get things out of the way now. Second, I sort of need people to volunteer for this and maybe the sandcastle would have some willing participants. Next was going to the Rogue Legacy thread to let people know this was happening.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Khris Kruel posted:

Hey guys, doing a Frozen Synapse Let's Play. It's my first lets play so any constructive criticism would be appreciated.

The plan is to play multiplayer with goons, provide feedback and get some tournaments going, and also LP the single player.

The thread title will be Ducking doesn't help your aim! Let's play Frozen Synapse

The OP will be here: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=15205

The second post will begin the Single Player campaign here: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=15206

Let me know if I'm doing anything horribly horribly wrong
You really need to transcribe some of this text instead of just taking screenshots of every bit of text and dialogue. That'll probably eliminate about 30-40% of your current screenshots. Also I'd say to maybe make some gifs of things like the countdown as that just seems like wasted screenshots. Otherwise as Jamie said, this is just the intro and not easy to judge otherwise without game play.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Lazyfire posted:

Second, I sort of need people to volunteer for this and maybe the sandcastle would have some willing participants. Next was going to the Rogue Legacy thread to let people know this was happening.

I've played Rogue Legacy for all of an hour and I kinda failed to get into properly and died a lot and never really got anywhere with it. So this is something I'd be interested in provided I can find enough time to actually produce content for it.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.
Here's my test post for Space Station 13, let me know what's good, what's bad, and what's downright awful.

I Can't do my job Because it Exploded: Let's Play Space Station 13

Okay, what the hell is this?

Space Station 13 is a 2D top-down Multiplayer RPG/intrigue/beat'em up game on the BYOND platform/engine that nobody's ever heard of. The game itself is broadly about the crew of the station having to defend themselves from traitors, nuclear operatives, wizards (in space!), changlings, and ultimately other crew members.

Each crew member is another player, the amount of players fluctuates between 20 – 50 depending on when you log in. The game is played in rounds, each one a separate game. This will be explained further in the videos.

Wait, I heard about this game, it's really complicated, why would anyone play it!

Let's just get right to it: SS13 is not an easy or intuitive game to play at all. The interface can be buggy and the BYOND engine lags like hell. Also, doing things is about as cumbersome as juggling chainsaws while on fire.

However, in spite of these shortcomings it's an absolute blast to play. Because nearly all characters are players and the rounds are only about 30-60 minutes each, the game is always a unique experience every round. With a variety of game modes and the coders always adding new features, the experience never gets stale.

So what are you going to be doing?

I'm going to show you guys the game from the perspective of all the different jobs on the station (with the exception of the Head of Security since that one is restricted to approved players) and also show how the game works and the basic mechanics for doing things.

I won't be revealing any of the lesser known secrets of the game, because a lot of fun can be had from discovering these things yourself. Also, the admins have a habit of changing these things once they're widely known to keep abuse down.

Thread rules

No posting of chemistry recepies or the lesser known secrets. If you're unsure, then don't post it.
Don't post about how you got banned or some other drama crating stuff.

Thread Participation

Due to the nature of the game, I'll have to create a random name prior to joining. Suggest names for me to use, they have to follow some basic rules:
Have a first name and a last name, both capitalized.
Start with an honorific title and then a last name.
You can use conjunctions, like my name ingame is usually “Zhar the Mad” so that's fine.

Also, suggest gimmick-job combinations if you have any ideas. The main rule here is that it can't get me banned and I'll be the judge of what will get me banned or not.

Episodes:
Episode 1: Introduction and Staff Assistant

More Information
Thread in the Games forum: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551842
The Wiki for Goonstation is a great repository of information for pretty much everything in the game. Find it here: http://autisticpowers.info/ss13/wiki/Main_Page

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Razage posted:

Here's my test post for Space Station 13, let me know what's good, what's bad, and what's downright awful.

I Can't do my job Because it Exploded: Let's Play Space Station 13
Your video is set to private ;)

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.

Niggurath posted:

Your video is set to private ;)

Hahaha, whoops, I'm not used to this new fangled youtube! Okay changed to unlisted.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.

Lazyfire posted:

Rogue Legacy

I love Rogue Legacy as much as anyone.. I've put time in on the supreme BS that is new game +++, but I'm not sure what you're looking for here :confused:. You mention brute forcing the game, but really the nature of the game brute forces itself (what are you gonna do, not spend your money?). The beauty of the game is that if you get hit it's your own fault for either not being patient and/or not executing mechanically, neither which you can really offer advice for. Enemy patterns are clear, not overly complex, and they telegraph their moves fairly obviously. The list of pertinent advice I could think to offer I could put in like a short list:

-It's probably a good idea to have at least 1 dash and 1 double jump rune
-Shinobi is OP early
-Assassin is OP late
-Spellsword is OP
-Every other class is boring or useless
-Health is the most OP stat to upgrade but it's also for pussies
-Hit enemies through floors/walls where you can
-Use a giant to beat the first boss
-Use a Spellsword with the fire or boomerang sub-weapon to beat the rest of the bosses
-Use caution when dropping down into uncharted territory
-Buy a controller if you aren't using one
-Be patient

I really thought about it and that's all I came up with.

I don't mean to put a damper on things, it seems like it could be a potentially interesting thread. Maybe I am too close to the trees to see the forest as far as this game is concerned.

psymonkey fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 26, 2013

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
Just an update - the archive/lpix/etc server is going down now. It should hopefully be back up in a few hours but I'll keep you guys updated as I hear anything.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

psymonkey posted:

I don't mean to put a damper on things, it seems like it could be a potentially interesting thread. Maybe I am too close to the trees to see the forest as far as this game is concerned.

It's funny you mention your class preferences. I beat the first two bosses with barbarian dwarfs (two different runs) and generally have the best luck stayling alive for extended periods of time with the Hokage class over others. I also find the Lich King/Queen to be kind of overpowered if you are smart about not taking stupid damage. Based on playstyle and goals people are going to need different advice. You may like the assassin, but other people may be all about blocking with the Paladin. Early players having trouble recognizing things may want to try and get characters with PAD so they don't have to worry about spike traps or just to get a bit of advice on the different traits in general.

There's a lot less experienced and set-in-their-ways players could learn from people attempting to guide them through this. Because it was a recent $20 release I also figured there would be enough newer and less experienced players out there. Further into the thread we could end up doing older, less well known/played games where only a couple long time players are giving advice to a ton of newbies, but this should strike a good balance now.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

valkhorn posted:

I can pretty much show off and display every weapon/accessory in the game.

To be fair, you can still do this without doing a luck run, and even if you do there are still going to be drops you don't get immediately. What you're suggesting is that people want to watch you grind and I guarantee that's going to get boring really fast. Play the game normally and grind the items off-camera (or on a separate Luck run file if you don't want to grind that much either). In most cases anything extra you get is just going to play into you being overpowered, so it would probably be best just to show off a couple weapons beforehand (or have the thread vote for weapons to use between updates, that worked really well in WanderingNewbie's Demon's Souls LP).

Honestly for about 90% of the extra items you'll get, the most interesting thing about them will be the icon/flavortext and that can just be shown in a post in the thread.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
So... while I know there isn't a rule against LPing something already LP'd, what about LPing something while someone else is LPing it?

Talking about batebro's test post of The Witcher 2 because I've already recorded most of the proloque and was only thinking about doing a test post after two episodes.

Currently, I have up episode 1 (NSFW) Uncensored. Censored version has been stuck processing for a while now. Uncensored version is on a separate account which hopefully will keep my main account from getting community strikes.

Overall, I'm pretty sure the feel and focus of the two LP's are going to be rather different. Plus, could probably branch out on different paths at the end of Chapter 1 with some discussion.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
FYI it seems like some faulty RAM modules are being replaced, hopefully the server should be back up within the next hour or so and fingers crossed it should be back to being more stable.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

VivaVizer posted:

So... while I know there isn't a rule against LPing something already LP'd, what about LPing something while someone else is LPing it?

Talking about batebro's test post of The Witcher 2 because I've already recorded most of the proloque and was only thinking about doing a test post after two episodes.

Currently, I have up episode 1 (NSFW) Uncensored. Censored version has been stuck processing for a while now. Uncensored version is on a separate account which hopefully will keep my main account from getting community strikes.

Overall, I'm pretty sure the feel and focus of the two LP's are going to be rather different. Plus, could probably branch out on different paths at the end of Chapter 1 with some discussion.

There's no rule about having two LPs of the same game running at the same time so it's fine, but I'd ask the other person doing it first to avoid stepping on their toes.

EDIT:

baldurk posted:

FYI it seems like some faulty RAM modules are being replaced, hopefully the server should be back up within the next hour or so and fingers crossed it should be back to being more stable.

Cheers baldurk, was wondering why I was getting some bad loads last night when going through an archived LP or two to check something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

VivaVizer posted:

Basically, unless you do an overwhelmingly better job at it, nobody will really care about the second thread. No rule against it, just you won't get the same discussion level as the first thread.

• Locked thread