Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

KettleWL posted:

Is it that the team can't negotiate with another city/make stadium arrangements until 2020, or that they can't physically move until 2020? Because really, it's not inconceivable for a new owner to buy the team in late 2014-mid 2015, remain quiet in Buffalo for a year or two, then spend 2017 looking at new destinations/using the threat of relocation to negotiate a new stadium (And large return on their investment) from the city, then spend the last ~2 years letting the stadium be built. Maybe these reads as a little convoluted, but an (at most) 5 year wait for a huge return on your investment really isn't a big deal, and the kinds of people capable of purchasing NFL franchises would be able to sit tight for those 5 years.

It's the latter of the bolded. The trust isn't likely to sell to owners who express interest in moving it, though. On top of that, the stadium likely will be built by 2020, especially if it's in Niagara Falls, and at that point any owner looking to move it would be trapped further by that stadium. It's not that relocation can't happen, it's just that based upon the situation I think it's incredibly unlikely. As much as the lease was derided at the time, it ended up being the perfect delay that makes it much more likely the team remains for Jacobs/Pegula/Golisano/Trump(:laugh:) to take the plunge.

Ralph knew what was coming for him and did Buffalo a final favor :unsmith:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

KettleWL posted:

Is it that the team can't negotiate with another city/make stadium arrangements until 2020, or that they can't physically move until 2020? Because really, it's not inconceivable for a new owner to buy the team in late 2014-mid 2015, remain quiet in Buffalo for a year or two, then spend 2017 looking at new destinations/using the threat of relocation to negotiate a new stadium (And large return on their investment) from the city, then spend the last ~2 years letting the stadium be built. Maybe these reads as a little convoluted, but an (at most) 5 year wait for a huge return on your investment really isn't a big deal, and the kinds of people capable of purchasing NFL franchises would be able to sit tight for those 5 years.

I'd also say that its kind of cute how much faith people have in the NFL to worry about things like tradition, or other normal people things like lease agreements. The NFL loves money and Toronto is almost certainly a bigger money maker than Buffalo, New York. The NFL will follow that money as best they can.

I hope they don't move, but it wouldn't surprise me if they aren't in Buffalo at some point in the future.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Schwack posted:

I'd also say that its kind of cute how much faith people have in the NFL to worry about things like tradition, or other normal people things like lease agreements. The NFL loves money and Toronto is almost certainly a bigger money maker than Buffalo, New York. The NFL will follow that money as best they can.

I hope they don't move, but it wouldn't surprise me if they aren't in Buffalo at some point in the future.

Again, it's not tradition, the NFL willingly signed off on a lease that pretty much legally binds them there for the near future. I'm sure they're not staunch supporters but they're not raring to let them loose.

Incidentally there's also murkiness as to whether or not the league would have to give Buffalo first chance at an expansion team like they did with Cleveland way back from the merger agreement.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

e: double post

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Schwack posted:

lol. Almost certainly. YOu can go ahead and put certainly.

It's the 4th largest city in North America and is begging for an NFL team. I love that city and everything about it, and I can tell you that it'd absolutely sell out games if they were 1) trying and 2) named something Toronto.

That city is so self absorbed (again, IMO, rightfully so) that they will love anything in the area that makes them face off against other cities.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

KettleWL posted:

From SI

quote:

On Wednesday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell spoke to the media about the future of the Buffalo Bills following the passing of team owner and founder Ralph Wilson. Less than a day had passed since Wilson’s passing, so Goodell made it clear that he is not yet looking ahead to the team’s future ownership and location.

One thing we now know, thanks to a report from the Toronto Sun‘s John Kryk: The Bills cannot relocate before at least 2019, and even doing so then would come with a $400-million buyout.

“I’m very familiar with the Bills’ new lease in Buffalo, and Ralph Wilson gave the people of Buffalo and Western New York an enormous gift,” Marc Ganis, president of Sports Corp, Ltd., told Kryk. “In this new 10-year lease that he signed, for the first seven years there is no opportunity to buy that lease out, or terminate it. None. That team is required to stay in that stadium for at least for the first seven years, and one year already has passed in that lease, so for the next six years.”

The current lease agreement actually runs all the way through the 2022 season, though there is that buyout loophole between the 2019 and ’20 campaigns. Buffalo had been playing one regular-season game per year at Toronto’s Rogers Centre, leading to speculation that the team could move there in the near future.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

It's the 4th largest city in North America and is begging for an NFL team. I love that city and everything about it, and I can tell you that it'd absolutely sell out games if they were 1) trying and 2) named something Toronto.

That city is so self absorbed (again, IMO, rightfully so) that they will love anything in the area that makes them face off against other cities.

Toronto felt like a poor man's Sydney, without all the things that makes Sydney good (not much).

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

TG-Chrono posted:

Toronto felt like a poor man's Sydney, without all the things that makes Sydney good (not much).

Having been to both (lived in one, spent 2 weeks in the other) I have to ask you what the gently caress you're smoking but different strokes, I suppose. Minus the stupid winter it's a dream world.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 11, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Do you believe they're trying now/the last decade out of curiosity? I pretty much do, but I might have missed them cheaping out on a bunch of things rather than sticking with old guys who aren't in touch anymore.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I like Toronto as a city, full stop. That said, I'm not sure how well the team would do just based on being a team. City went fair-weather on the Marlies of all teams.

The NFL of course is its own juggernaut and it remains to be seen how a team will do there. I'll just be incredibly surprised if it's the Bills.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Just curious, would it be possible for the Bills to be bought by somebody in the next year or two who announces the team will move in 2020? A type of sale-now, relocate-later deal? I ask because I'm not sure if deals like that are forbidden by the terms of the lease or not.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Sweeney Tom posted:

Just curious, would it be possible for the Bills to be bought by somebody in the next year or two who announces the team will move in 2020? A type of sale-now, relocate-later deal? I ask because I'm not sure if deals like that are forbidden by the terms of the lease or not.

Yes, but it's really unlikely that it would be sold to someone who might do that in the first place given the amount of Buffalo-friendly billionaires who have said they'd do something about it if it was the last option to prevent relocation.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Looking at a map, I see that Toronto is only around a 90 minute drive from Buffalo anyway. If people from Toronto really want to see a live game it seems like that kind of drive and the anal probing from border security isn't that much of a hardship.

Or maybe they could just split the difference, build a stadium in Hamilton, and call them the Toronto Buffalo Bills.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Well the first and third largest North American cities also don't have NFL teams.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
Toronto is a loving rad city for food. Everything else too, but especially food

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Does Toronto not have a CFL team? Also remember what happened the last time an american sport expanded to Canadia (Expos).

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

effectual posted:

Does Toronto not have a CFL team? Also remember what happened the last time an american sport expanded to Canadia (Expos).

Sure, if you choose to ignore the Raptors.

And the CFL team in Toronto is the Argonauts. They had Cleo Lemon once.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

effectual posted:

Does Toronto not have a CFL team?

They do, they're called the Argonauts, and Rob Ford: Super Crackhead is a huge fan.

quote:

Also remember what happened the last time an american sport expanded to Canadia (Expos).

But the Blue Jays directly contradict this? :confused:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Wiki tells me the Argonauts are the oldest professional sports team in North America still using their original name, so that's something. The logo they used in the 70s and 80s is kind of cool too:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Grittybeard posted:

Do you believe they're trying now/the last decade out of curiosity? I pretty much do, but I might have missed them cheaping out on a bunch of things rather than sticking with old guys who aren't in touch anymore.

I meant the team was trying. My bad.

The raptors get full support even when they suck hard EXCEPT when they were ranking for lottery position a few years back. The fans didn't like that and let them know.

And I really can't express how big a difference it is being in toronto vs the two hour drive to buffalo. Most people in toronto proper don't have cars plus the "toronto" in the name part really is important

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I will be surprised if any team besides STL, SD, Oackland or maaaaaybe Tampa moves. STL is my bet for LA.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Toronto would be able to support a fanbase far better than Jacksonville, Minneapolis, Buffalo, Phoenix, and hell, probably better than a bunch of other southern teams. It's a huge city that's well set up.

The Expos were a different story because 1. it's baseball and 2. who thought giving a bunch of francophones a baseball team was a good idea?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
The blue jays are crazy popular in toronto though. They'll even support boring rear end sports!

Taxes would suck for players sometimes though.

In Miami dolphins news they haven't had a single top tier tackle in to visit, and they just signed a nobody receiver for minimum

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 11, 2014

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Josh Freeman visiting the Giants.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

SporkOfTruth posted:

They do, they're called the Argonauts, and Rob Ford: Super Crackhead is a huge fan.

You're on the offensive line? You ARE the offensive line

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Wiki tells me the Argonauts are the oldest professional sports team in North America still using their original name, so that's something. The logo they used in the 70s and 80s is kind of cool too:

I was about to say that this couldn't possibly be true, because the Phillies have been using their name since 1883, but then I looked it up.

Wow, the Argonauts are old.

It would be kind of cool if there were a Toronto NFL team, but all games there were played using CFL rules, creating an interleague-on-steroids system.

E: that logo owns

Farchanter fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 11, 2014

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

davecrazy posted:

I hope someone picks him up. He deserves a chance to at least be a backup somewhere. He's not as disastrous as last year made him out to be.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Eifert Posting posted:

I will be surprised if any team besides STL, SD, Oackland or maaaaaybe Tampa moves. STL is my bet for LA.

Toronto is going to get a team before Portland, San Antonio, and probably LA. SD to San Antonio, STL to LA, comedy Portland Raider Option.... Buffalo is still the best option unless you're wagering on Glazer (never do this)

Iron Clad Lou
Feb 12, 2008

davecrazy posted:

Because they didnt get a good enough look
during that atrocious MNF display?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Josh Freeman just needs more time, better weapons, a change of scenery, and a new alarm clock. Then we can finally see his realized potential.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Maybe if we let him carry a gun onto the field he'd play better

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

To be fair wasn't he in town for only like 4 days when Minnesota threw him in? Even Peyton would've looked like poo poo.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
He's a really, really bad quarterback but nobody deserves having to deal with Greg Schiano so I wish him the best.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Detroit_Dogg posted:

He's a really, really bad quarterback but nobody deserves having to deal with Greg Schiano so I wish him the best.

I don't think he is. Schiano ran him out of town and the Vikings completely hosed him over. That was a travesty of a game.

He'd be by and away the best backup QB in football wherever he signs.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Doltos posted:

I don't think he is. Schiano ran him out of town and the Vikings completely hosed him over. That was a travesty of a game.

He'd be by and away the best backup QB in football wherever he signs.

I wouldn't go that far, but he's definitely better than someone like Orlovsky, Weeden or Gabbert. He's probably top 5-10 for backups.

edit; He also already has familiarity with the Giants scheme and system so that might actually be a great landing spot for him. Chicago would be the other great spot for him because of Trestman.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

John Brown posted:

To be fair wasn't he in town for only like 4 days when Minnesota threw him in? Even Peyton would've looked like poo poo.

He was really bad before that too. He had like one kinda okay year and has been lovely otherwise.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lol that statement made me laugh. Freeman is complete poo poo. Let's stop making excuses for him.

Best backup is Kirk Cousins and you can have him for a 3rd round pick.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

MourningView posted:

He was really bad before that too. He had like one kinda okay year and has been lovely otherwise.

He had one good year and one okay year. :colbert:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Kirk Cousins sucks so bad. They were really dumb to actually run him back out there and let the rest of the league figure that out instead of just riding that one Browns game and trying to trick someone into giving way too much up for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Before we get into a multi-page argument about who the best backup QB is remember that who gives a poo poo about who the best backup QB is.

• Locked thread