Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Splode posted:

Whoever wrote this is a poor writer. You do not need that many words to say

Star Wars is for children.

But how else would we know what a towering intellect he has?

edit: just pretend I made a pun about towers and sniping from them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

nerds paying money for nerd poo poo: a terrifying and uniquely 21st century phenomenon. has capitalism finally gone too far.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

BBJoey posted:

nerds paying money for nerd poo poo: a terrifying and uniquely 21st century phenomenon. has capitalism finally gone too far.

Prior to the 21st century nerds got eaten by dinosaurs or mammoths or poo poo like god intended

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
I wish Tony Abbott was still PM so I could know who the goodies and baddies are

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Negligent posted:

Well if we're talking posting I'm the goodie and you're the baddie m8 *dusts off hands in a satisfied manner*

sick of Applebees fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 15, 2015

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Negligent posted:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
I have a suggestion for you to base things on Nikolic. Kill ur self.

#theirABC posted:

Paris attacks: Andrew Nikolic calls for Peter Dutton to be given greater say in national security decisions

A prominent government backbencher is calling for Immigration Minister Peter Dutton to be given a greater say in national security decisions following the attacks in Paris.

Tasmanian Liberal Andrew Nikolic — who served for 31 years in the Army and as a senior Defence bureaucrat before entering Parliament — said Mr Dutton should be given a permanent seat at the Cabinet's powerful National Security Committee (NSC).

Mr Nikolic told AM he was making his plea based on "the suggestions from French authorities that a couple of humanitarian arrivals may have been involved" in the Paris attacks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Screaming intensifies.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I thought this was an interesting article. We don't often here open discussion about the role Western geopolitics plays in encouraging extremism, there's a lot at stake so I don't think it will enter the political conversation anytime soon but it's good to see it in the papers at least.

quote:

Enough is enough. Friday night's terrorist attacks in Paris are just the latest examples of Islamo-Fascism at play. It is fascist in its vicious, bestial and violent substance, and it is Islamic in its outward justification and form.

It is dangerous for so-called "lefties" to shy away from calling it what it is. Islamo-Fascism is also the enemy of most Muslims around the world, who, after all, are its main victims, and we should stand with them in solidarity against these violent fanatics. However, it is also time for the mainstream Muslim world to be much more visible and active in opposing these violent extremists within their communities.

But this is not enough. The Islamo-Fascists have not emerged from thin air, but rather they are the result of numerous contextual factors, stemming back a number of decades. The mess the world is in today stems, in part, from the delusional triumphalism of Western capitalism, led by the United States, after the collapse of the Soviet Union at the end of the cold war.

Let's face up to some home truths.

Firstly, the US and its allies armed, trained and supported Osama bin Laden and his al-Qaeda terrorist organisation, in its dirty war, first, against the leftist government in Afghanistan and the Soviet Union, who intervened in a doomed attempt to prop up the collapsing regime, which was at war with Islamists, backed by Pakistan. This ultimately led to the September 11 attacks on the US itself. The Taliban today continues to be trained, financed and supported by forces within the Pakistan security and military establishment.

Second, the West's support for Israel in its continued occupation of Palestinian territory and its constant and growing humiliation of Palestinian people, has been a festering sore, breeding resentment, frustration and anger from not only Palestinians, but the wider Muslim community, particularly in the Arab world. As if this wasn't bad enough, let's not forget that Israel was also happy to secretly fund and encourage the terrorist organisation, Hamas, in its early years, as a means of undermining the secular mainstream PLO, led by Yasser Arafat.

Third, the US (supported by Australia) invasion and destruction of Iraq, justified by the lie about (we now know, non-existent) weapons of mass destruction, resulting in about half a million deaths, was the direct catalyst for the formation of the Islamic State terrorist organisation – whose current military leaders are former generals from Saddam Hussein's then predominantly secular Baathist regime.

Fourth, the West's eagerness to destroy the largely secular Gaddafi regime has left Libya as a failed state, allowing criminals and terrorists a free rein to engage in violence on a mass scale.

Fifth, the West's support for violent opposition to the Assad regime in Syria has left this country in ruins and allowed Islamo-Fascism to become the military opposition. All the talk about supporting "moderate" opposition forces has been exposed as a lie. Syria is in the grip of a full-on sectarian war between the Shia-backed regime and the Sunni extremists, including Islamic State and al-Nusra (al-Qaeda). The West's support for the opposition in Syria has taken the form of support for Islamo-Fascism on the ground in Syria.

Finally, the Islamo-Fascist movement, whether operating in Afghanistan, Syria, Libya, Iraq or elsewhere, is known to have received financial, ideological/religious and military support from the West's key allies in the Middle East, the brutal Islamo-Fascist regimes of Saudi Arabia and Qatar.

You reap what you sow.

So how should we confront this Islamo-Fascist plague? The first step should be to call it what it is and not pretend there is no cultural/religious element to this terrorist movement. Perhaps it would be useful for Western leaders to acknowledge their past mistakes, including their military interventions in Afghanistan and the Arab world, which have resulted in more than a million deaths. It puts into perspective the few thousand civilian casualties of Islamo-Terrorism in the West.

Next, the West should cut its ties with the reactionary Islamo-Fascist dictatorships, of the Wahhabist variety, ruling Saudi Arabia and Qatar. Until some semblance of democracy emerges in these states, there will continue to be a foundation for on-going terrorism throughout the world. This is, in part at least, a struggle between backwardness and modernity. The West's propping up of these reactionary and backward regimes is a major cause of the disastrous state of the Middle East today.

Almost 50 years too late, but until some justice, respect, and legitimacy is delivered to the Palestinian people, we will continue to have generation after generation of angry, frustrated, humiliated, desperate and vengeful Palestinian youths, as a breeding ground for Arab terrorism of various kinds.

Finally, it is time for atheists, agnostics and moderate believers everywhere to unite in our disgust and opposition to religious fundamentalism of all varieties, be it Islamic, Christian, Buddhist, Jewish or any other variety.

None of this on its own will end the terrorist threat facing the world, but until these steps are taken, all others are doomed to failure. It requires the West to acknowledge its role in contributing to this mess, and demands that the Muslim community takes centre stage in stamping out Islamo-Fascism wherever it exists. A bit of honesty and straight talking would be a good start.
http://www.theage.com.au/comment/th...114-gkz9ie.html

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Calling on atheists to unite in their contempt for religious fundamentalism is pretty funny.

Either way, we should cut ties with the Saudis but for the same reasons we cut ties with the South Africans during apartheid, not because of ISIS.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

open24hours posted:

Calling on atheists to unite in their contempt for religious fundamentalism is pretty funny.

It's calling on everyone who isn't a religious fundamentalist to stand opposed to it. Which is largely what everyone who isn't a religious fundamentalist is doing anyway.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

#theirABC posted:

Paris attacks: Immigration Minister Peter Dutton rejects internal call from MP Andrew Fraser to 'close our borders'

Federal Immigration Minister Peter Dutton has shut down a call from a New South Wales Government MP for Australia to stop accepting Middle Eastern refugees.

In the wake of the Saturday's mass shootings in Paris, Coffs Harbour MP Andrew Fraser wrote a "message to Malcolm Turnbull" on social media.

"Australia does not need Middle Eastern refugees or Islamic boat people!" Mr Fraser wrote on Facebook.

"Close our borders we have enough anarchists already resident in Australia ...we do not need any more coming in disguised as refugees."

The article goes on to talk about the Syrian passport found which is a forgery so they really don't have a left wing bias because they're still pedaling lies.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Birb Katter posted:

The article goes on to talk about the Syrian passport found which is a forgery so they really don't have a left wing bias because they're still pedaling lies.

What makes you so confident that it's a forged passport?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
:siren: DO NOT READ THE FRONT PAGE OF TODAY'S ARSETRALIAN :siren:

I did :smith:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/george-brandis-on-the-threat-of-terrorism/6943310

quote:

George Brandis on Australia's terror threat level Monday 16 November 2015 7:35AM (view full episode)

Australia's terror threat level remains under constant review following the terrible events in Paris over the weekend. Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, who is attending the G20 summit in Turkey, is receiving ongoing briefings from ministers and security agencies concerning the threat to Australia after the Paris attacks. Attorney General George Brandis is a member of the National Security Committee of Cabinet.

George Brandis joins Fran Kelly on RN Breakfast.

TL;DL

Fran Kelly gives Brandis a never ending stream of soft serves during which he tells a grateful nation that they have been protected by the enormous budgets and regressive legislation from the dire, existential and ever present terrorist threat. Kelly (to give her her due) did frame the world longest question including a grab from NTATA with a mention of the need for better human int. Brandis interpreted it as meaning better contact with the moderate Islamic community and once again spoke glowingly about ASIO's enormous budget. :ssh: ASIO is our DOMESTIC spy agency we need the human int. to be in place in, hang on it's one of those funny sounding names, and that would mean ASIS. But what's in an S or and O?

Are we really this stupid? Well I guess we get full confirmation next election but my guess is HECK YEAH!

Tirade posted:

What makes you so confident that it's a forged passport?
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/15/why-syrian-refugee-passport-found-at-paris-attack-scene-must-be-treated-with-caution

quote:

Whether the passport was planted, stolen, forged or genuine, investigators should find out the truth soon enough. But regardless of what they discover, a wider debate has now begun about the wisdom of letting so many unknown migrants enter Europe through its southern borders, and being allowed to move onwards through the continent with few restrictions. Already, there are calls to step up the policing of Greece’s maritime border with Turkey, and to block the passage of refugees entirely.
Definitely some significant doubt.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Saying "let's wait for the facts to shake out" (i.e. what the Guardian article is saying) is very different to saying that it's a confirmed forgery and the media is peddling lies by not reporting it (i.e. what birb katter is saying).

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Tirade posted:

Saying "let's wait for the facts to shake out" (i.e. what the Guardian article is saying) is very different to saying that it's a confirmed forgery and the media is peddling lies by not reporting it (i.e. what birb katter is saying).
I fear that there is some tilting at windmills by both of you.

The ABC article only mentions the passport appears to be form a Syrian asylum seeker and quotes Dutton ""I was in Jordan only the week before last and there is a lot of talk there about false documents and false passports, and we need to make sure that we know who is coming to our country,"

That means Bib Katters mainly (probably deliberately*) specious comment pretty far from your accusation of 'confimed forgery and media peddling lies'

* I base this assessment on the context of him using it to point to the myth of ABC leftist bias, but please do not allow me to also put words in people's mouths. I am definitely assuming both his meaning and intention.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The passport document shown on ABC24 this morning looked to be a colour photocopy, not a traditional passport.

e. this is it:

CATTASTIC fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 16, 2015

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Cartoon posted:

That means Bib Katters mainly (probably deliberately*) specious comment pretty far from your accusation of 'confimed forgery and media peddling lies'

There is a bit of that and a bit of counterclaim to the whole passport thing because it's way too early to tell and by pushing this news out before we know anything just cements the rhetoric. Even if it is later confirmed false too many people will miss that part of the tale.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
I don't get why the legitimacy or otherwise of the passport makes any difference though? Given that the passport was allegedly used by someone that arrived in Greece claiming asylum, whether it's forged or not doesn't make a lick of difference - in both cases someone posed as a Syrian refugee in order to carry out an attack in Europe.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

E:You don't actually know any of that yet though, do you, Tirade? Have they determined who the attackers were yet or where they were from?

There were also reports it had the wrong amount of numbers in the serial amd the photo didn't match. The people who were going to use this as an excuse to attack refugees will do so regardless.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 16, 2015

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Tirade posted:

I don't get why the legitimacy or otherwise of the passport makes any difference though? Given that the passport was allegedly used by someone that arrived in Greece claiming asylum, whether it's forged or not doesn't make a lick of difference - in both cases someone posed as a Syrian refugee in order to carry out an attack in Europe.

France dropped 20 bombs on Syria today because of this. Maybe you can't see why it may be an issue but there are people getting bombed in retaliation for this that may see it differently.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Bombs being dropped might also have something to do with IS claiming responsibility though. Not just a passport.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Tirade posted:

Maybe they were already in Europe and posed as a refugee to make people attack refugees.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Birb Katter posted:

France dropped 20 bombs on Syria today because of this. Maybe you can't see why it may be an issue but there are people getting bombed in retaliation for this that may see it differently.

Whether the passport is real makes no difference to their bombing intentions.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Whether or not it was a forged passport or a legit one makes zero difference. The significant issue is how easily or not extremists are able to use the same pathways as asylum seekers to enter Europe.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Evil people will always try to use our kindness against us. The significant issue is to not allow this to cause us to then turn around and make the innocent suffer because of it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Regardless, if France is stepping up bombing attacks in Syria then the attackers have achieved their objective 100%. Increase fear, increase chaos, increase distrust of refugees, increase amount of refugees.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I don't think it matters particularly whether the passport is real or fake, father whether it was used by a "refugee" to get there or whether someone just wanted us to think so.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Through all this I have learned Eagles of Death Metal have a new album out.

Silver lining.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Birb Katter posted:

You're right, I can't see how the presence of the passport is what made the French drop bombs in Syria.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Hasn't France, along with other Western nation been bombing Syria and Iraq fairly regularly for the last 6 months or so? The media is talking these latest strike up as reprisals but they are probably just part of the ongoing war in the region.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

gay picnic defence posted:

Hasn't France, along with other Western nation been bombing Syria and Iraq fairly regularly for the last 6 months or so? The media is talking these latest strike up as reprisals but they are probably just part of the ongoing war in the region.

Yup. Their participation in the campaign against ISIL is the primary justification for the terrorist attacks.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Laserface posted:

Through all this I have learned Eagles of Death Metal have a new album out.

Silver lining.

most successful viral marketing campaign ever.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

gay picnic defence posted:

The 20 they dropped is 5x more than they had dropped in total in the leadup to this.

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedAndrew/status/666026832068784128

I can't find the numbers that confirm the French count but defense.gov confirms the other numbers.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
But to be clear, the strikes today were almost certainly more than routine - both in size but also in terms of publicity. Hollande would have probably personally given the direction to hit a whole bunch of ISIL targets, which is understandable really.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any way I could get in on the Chinese milk racket? Not baby formula, but maybe UHT milk? Sure sounds like it would be a great way to stop being poor.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Tirade posted:

But to be clear, the strikes today were almost certainly more than routine - both in size but also in terms of publicity. Hollande would have probably personally given the direction to hit a whole bunch of ISIL targets, which is understandable really.
Not singling you out here but I don't find any of this remotely 'understandable'. The whole thing including the ongoing bombing campaign is insanity and has to stop. That's what we should be focusing our collective energy on. Not some really really loving dumb tit for tat shock and awe bull poo poo that we have been continuously proving does not work since the end of the cold war.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ScreamingLlama posted:

Is there any way I could get in on the Chinese milk racket? Not baby formula, but maybe UHT milk? Sure sounds like it would be a great way to stop being poor.

The Dems are getting pretty desperate.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Cartoon posted:

Not singling you out here but I don't find any of this remotely 'understandable'. The whole thing including the ongoing bombing campaign is insanity and has to stop. That's what we should be focusing our collective energy on. Not some really really loving dumb tit for tat shock and awe bull poo poo that we have been continuously proving does not work since the end of the cold war.

no you see if we just do the same things we did first in vietnam then in afghanistan, things will work out just fine.

(it's not just since the end of the cold war, basically every conflict since the end of WW2 has shown that trying to defeat irregular forces with the use of overwhelming firepower is a hopeless effort)

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SynthOrange posted:

The Dems are getting pretty desperate.

That was uncalled for. I'm in danger of losing my DSP and struggling to pay the bills as it is.

• Locked thread