Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TheJoker138 posted:

It's almost like the vampire is some kind of predator who you're supposed to hate or something.

Yeah but then the high school girl gets naked and has an elongated erotic scene with the vampire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah but then the high school girl gets naked and has an elongated erotic scene with the vampire.
Story of my life.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Well yeah, but you gotta keep it sexy.

E: And for reals, the high school girl was actually 27 in real life and honestly didn't even actually look like she was high school age in the movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well yeah I know that, but it's still creepy and rapey to watch nowadays and is an uncomfortable aspect of an otherwise fun movie. I don't know why you're fighting me on this.

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.
Please stop saying rapey.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Wait is the girl in question played by Marcy D'arcy?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Wait is the girl in question played by Marcy D'arcy?

Yes, only a year before she took that role, too.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
You were a helluva derail, thread.

I'm a little rusty with alt-world Punishermans - is there one set in the future with him blowing poo poo up with a spaceship? This is important to me.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Literally Kermit posted:

You were a helluva derail, thread.

I'm a little rusty with alt-world Punishermans - is there one set in the future with him blowing poo poo up with a spaceship? This is important to me.
You mean Space Punisher? That is a thing that exists, yes.

There is also Punisher 2099, who in the last issue of the series, gains access to a giant gently caress-all space laser:

He never gets to use it though, as he's killed immediately afterwards.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 28, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Punisher 2099 is pretty much the most 90s thing in comics.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lurdiak posted:

No Ravage 2099 is the most 90s thing. He's fired and almost assassinated for pointing out that his company pollutes. And then he becomes a guerilla fighter to bring them to justice and along the way gets mutated because he spent too long at a toxic waste dump.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

No Ravage 2099 is the most 90s thing. He's fired and almost assassinated for pointing out that his company pollutes. And then he becomes a guerilla fighter to bring them to justice and along the way gets mutated because he spent too long at a toxic waste dump.
Nobody liked Ravage, not even the people working on his comic. His last issue has Ravage fighting to the death against his primary adversary. It's a stalemate until Doom swoops in out of nowhere, kills that guy, comes to the conclusion that Ravage is just as terrible, coats him and his entire island of supporters in liquid adamantium and chucks the whole mess into space, the end.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

redbackground posted:

Nobody liked Ravage, not even the people working on his comic. His last issue has Ravage fighting to the death against his primary adversary. It's a stalemate until Doom swoops in out of nowhere, kills that guy, comes to the conclusion that Ravage is just as terrible, coats him and his entire island of supporters in liquid adamantium and chucks the whole mess into space, the end.

11 year old me liked Ravage. :colbert:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

This makes the rounds a fair amount, but it feels appropriate.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

This makes the rounds a fair amount, but it feels appropriate.

This gets better once you realize/remember that Pat "Literally one of the people behind Judge Dredd" Mills wrote it and that it's a joke.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Literally The Worst posted:

This gets better once you realize/remember that Pat "Literally one of the people behind Judge Dredd" Mills wrote it and that it's a joke.
Anyone who can't tell that P2099 is nothing but tongue-in-cheek has reading problems.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 29, 2015

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like I have to read all of Punisher 2099 now, like, right now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Punisher 2099 got better after dying cause he just showed up in the new Spider-Man 2099.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just ugh @ the heavy handed radical anti-establishment politicking

TheJoker138 posted:

Punisher 2099 got better after dying cause he just showed up in the new Spider-Man 2099.
what issue is this? gotta see this

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

site posted:

what issue is this? gotta see this

7 or 8, can't remember off the top of my head.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

site posted:

It's not really anti-establishment, it's "Punisher is dumb, let's laugh at Punisher and make the character loving ridiculous." It's Punisher by way of Mega City One.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

It's not really anti-establishment, it's "Punisher is dumb, let's laugh at Punisher and make the character loving ridiculous." It's Punisher by way of Mega City One.

Has that crossover ever happened?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Lurdiak posted:

Has that crossover ever happened?

Only in one panel gag form. Dredd shoots him and calls Frank a psycho.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man this Punisher run is loving dull. It's not overtly bad or good. It's just dull.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

gfanikf posted:

Man this Punisher run is loving dull. It's not overtly bad or good. It's just dull.

It's worse because Edmondson keeps bringing up elements that could have been great only to completely drop them or make them really uninteresting. Like Punisher vs. the Howling Commandos or Rachel Cole-Alves from Rucka's run showing up just to be Frank's cab service.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Genetic Toaster posted:

It's worse because Edmondson keeps bringing up elements that could have been great only to completely drop them or make them really uninteresting. Like Punisher vs. the Howling Commandos or Rachel Cole-Alves from Rucka's run showing up just to be Frank's cab service.
Officer Stone is incredibly boring, so it doesn't help that she's taking up pagetime.

And there was potential in the Howling Commandos, but they're basically a truncated Team Omaha from The Activity with less personality and fancier toys. I barely even remember their codenames. The girl is Ruby Red, because she's the one girl and she sounds like she could fit in with The Unit, but I've no idea about the other two.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Goran Parlov tweeted this yesterday

it is going to be called Punisher: The Platoon :woop:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Punisher is pretty much his character now, isn't he?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Garth Ennis is in love with the Punisher isn't he?

Well the MAX run was amazing, so hell yeah.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You'd think he'd have run out of things to say about the character by now.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Man, Ennis just wants to write war comics, any excuse will do.

Luckily, they're usually his best work.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
If you've read his Punisher stuff he did, but he can actually sell publishers his military stories if he throws Frank Castle into them.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

SirDan3k posted:

If you've read his Punisher stuff he did, but he can actually sell publishers his military stories if he throws Frank Castle into them.

That makes me wonder why DC hasn't tried sticking Batman into one of their dozens of War Comics they've tried to sell since the New 52.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

fatherboxx posted:

gently caress. Yes.

NutritiousSnack posted:

Garth Ennis is in love with the Punisher isn't he?
Considering how well things have gone since he left, I'm glad he is lol.

goldenoreos posted:

That makes me wonder why DC hasn't tried sticking Batman into one of their dozens of War Comics they've tried to sell since the New 52.
How do you put a guy who refuses to kill people in the middle of a war zone?

site fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 15, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

fatherboxx posted:

gently caress yes stick it in my butthole

SirDan3k posted:

If you've read his Punisher stuff he did

Disagree. I'm looking forward to what he has to say about Frank during his last tour.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Punisher: Born was about his last tour in Vietnam in 1971 and the battle at Firebase Valley Forge
The part in Fury: My War Gone By with Castle took place in 1970, when he was already a professional killer taken into Special Forces.
All that is left is the true origin story, first tour in 1968 and the Tet offensive.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Yeah, pretty much. I'm sure it'll be fine.

I'd say "You'd think he'd have run out of things to say about Vietnam, too" but we all know that will never happen.

fatherboxx posted:

All that is left is the true origin story, first tour in 1968 and the Tet offensive.

I know it won't happen, but I'd be amused if first tour Frank was an Ash Williams type, dorky and green and kind of a wiener.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

fez_machine posted:

Speaking of which, Ennis restarted "War Stories" semi-recently.

It also makes me wonder if Ennis will take the story aside from Aaron's run about Frank as the "FNG" getting two men mutilated and killed because he got lost, and what he personally did to the V.C. they captured later on in retribution.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 17, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fez_machine posted:

They are pretty much his best works, a fine balance between his other works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

fatherboxx posted:

Punisher: Born was about his last tour in Vietnam in 1971 and the battle at Firebase Valley Forge
The part in Fury: My War Gone By with Castle took place in 1970, when he was already a professional killer taken into Special Forces.

Born was actually just about the days leading up to Valley Forge.

• Locked thread