Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I'm not sure he's much of a jerk. He seems more like an inscrutable, hypercompetitive psychopath.

That's how I see it too. Have any of his Stanford players ever publicly ripped on him? I get the impression that people think he's nuts, but nuts in a way that's good for developing college kids and building a winning program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

disheveled posted:

That's how I see it too. Have any of his Stanford players ever publicly ripped on him? I get the impression that people think he's nuts, but nuts in a way that's good for developing college kids and building a winning program.

He tried to keep Richard Sherman from getting drafted.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Its really no wonder athletes turn out to be people when you examine the coaches they've had

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

disheveled posted:

One of the reasons he's probably better for college is that he gets basically a whole new crop of kids every 4 years, so they are less likely to get tired of his poo poo and revolt. That, and the kids aren't 30 year old millionaires who have the option of telling Jim to go gently caress himself if he pisses them off.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Raku posted:

He tried to keep Richard Sherman from getting drafted.

Sherman's gone over to the Niners sideline during games to tell at Harbaugh, too.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

The X-man cometh posted:

Sherman's gone over to the Niners sideline during games to tell at Harbaugh, too.

I mean, wouldn't you if he tried to ruin your career and you were the best person in the country at your job?

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
What's the story with Harbaugh and Sherman?

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
I also would like to know; when I looked I was only finding things that happened in the NFL.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

pugnax posted:

What's the story with Harbaugh and Sherman?
Rumor has it Harbaugh didn't exactly talk him up in the leadup to the NFL draft.

Then again, Sherman was a good corner at Stanford, but he had only played two years at the position. Not sure that the rumors are true, and he was probably considered a gamble going in regardless of what Harbaugh said. Still, it probably all feeds into Sherman's massive shoulder-chip.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Rumor has it Harbaugh didn't exactly talk him up in the leadup to the NFL draft.

Then again, Sherman was a good corner at Stanford, but he had only played two years at the position. Not sure that the rumors are true, and he was probably considered a gamble going in regardless of what Harbaugh said. Still, it probably all feeds into Sherman's massive shoulder-chip.

What I have gathered is that Harbaugh moved him from offense to defense in 2009 and Sherman didn't like it. He had an attitude about it and Harbaugh didn't forget. They're both strong and abrasive personalities and didn't get along very well.

When the NFL guys came around to ask Harbaugh's opinion of Sherman, he gave them an earful rather than the usual platitudes and praise. It supposedly knocked down his draft status a couple rounds.

I guess I'm not too surprised there's a few folks running around who didn't get along with the guy.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
There's a rumor going around Ann Arbor that Michigan will be switching from Adidas to Nike for 2016-17. Merry Christmas.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

What I have gathered is that Harbaugh moved him from offense to defense in 2009 and Sherman didn't like it. He had an attitude about it and Harbaugh didn't forget. They're both strong and abrasive personalities and didn't get along very well.

When the NFL guys came around to ask Harbaugh's opinion of Sherman, he gave them an earful rather than the usual platitudes and praise. It supposedly knocked down his draft status a couple rounds.

I guess I'm not too surprised there's a few folks running around who didn't get along with the guy.

I'd also read somewhere that the opposing viewpoint of the situation was that Sherman got hurt and chose surgery over playing it out and Harbs put him on the bottom of the WR depth chart next season for it, so Sherman switched to defense to get a chance at playing time. I don't know what the meet in the middle of these two scenarios is, but I'm sure that's where the truthy center can be found

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

There's a rumor going around Ann Arbor that Michigan will be switching from Adidas to Nike for 2016-17. Merry Christmas.

i hope nike goes all out in their redesign :getin:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Aye Doc posted:

I'd also read somewhere that the opposing viewpoint of the situation was that Sherman got hurt and chose surgery over playing it out and Harbs put him on the bottom of the WR depth chart next season for it, so Sherman switched to defense to get a chance at playing time. I don't know what the meet in the middle of these two scenarios is, but I'm sure that's where the truthy center can be found

Yeah, I'm sure the Sherman and Harbaugh versions of the stories are rather different. I don't really know any details of it, just the general overview.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Alouicious posted:

Lol people almost lost their poo poo when the fab five wore longer shorts. Can you imagine what would happen if the football team pulled an Oregon?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Alouicious posted:

It'll be the exact same everything. Only the jerseys won't literally fall apart like Adidas' did.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I hope Nike finds a way to be even MORE boring with the uniforms.

Like when Reebok tried to get the Red Wings to do something with their new fabric, and the Wings instead moved the Captain letters to the other side, thus reverting to a 1955 iteration of the uniform

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
So in addition to pretending to be a flagship football program now they're pretending to be Nike U?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Raku posted:

So in addition to pretending to be a flagship football program now they're pretending to be Nike U?

We may get really crazy and make the stripes on the helmet 0.25" wider.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Neodoomium posted:

I hope Nike finds a way to be even MORE boring with the uniforms.

Like when Reebok tried to get the Red Wings to do something with their new fabric, and the Wings instead moved the Captain letters to the other side, thus reverting to a 1955 iteration of the uniform

Remember a couple years ago, when Michigan Hockey had those '70s uniforms sets that were supposed to be for the outdoor GLI but turned into the second-half jerseys? The yellow on the jerseys never matched the maize on the helmets, it drove me crazy all year.

If Nike can actually produce jerseys featuring the correct color, it will be an improvement. Also, jerseys that don't fall apart in gameplay, and replica basketball jerseys that aren't just cheap knockoffs that barely look like the actual jersey.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I hope Nike fudges the colors on the helmets and jerseys just subtly enough to make Michigan into the Delaware Blue Hens

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Alouicious posted:

I hope Nike fudges the colors on the helmets and jerseys just subtly enough to make Michigan into the Delaware Blue Hens

Will the helmets and jerseys match

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Alouicious posted:

Ironically, Delaware's football colors are closer to the official university maize and blue than the current ones.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

AsInHowe posted:

Will the helmets and jerseys match

Texas hasn't had jerseys and helmets that match for a while and I am unreasonably bothered by it. Also the orange on our field is entirely wrong, it's much too bright. The bball court has the right color, but the football field is like Okie Lite orange.

Yes I know my avatar is the wrong color too

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Thermos H Christ posted:

Texas hasn't had jerseys and helmets that match for a while and I am unreasonably bothered by it. Also the orange on our field is entirely wrong, it's much too bright. The bball court has the right color, but the football field is like Okie Lite orange.

I don't even mind if it isn't the exact shade, as long as they match. The hockey team had jerseys that were way off, and you could tell from afar.

Of course, it was nice to have an AD that spent lots of time on branding and couldn't figure out a two-color palette. The hard restart is coming.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Nike? Hello new recruiting tool!

Although, I actually liked the UTL Jerseys.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Thermos H Christ posted:

Looks pretty good to me. It even has the right logo!

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Regnevelc posted:

Yeah man, those were awesome. As long as the helmets keep the wings, I'm cool with pretty much any uniform madness.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Regnevelc posted:

Nike? Hello new recruiting tool!

I really liked the UTL jerseys, but proceeded to hate the white versions (it cost Michigan that game against MSU), the very basic Sugar Bowl uniforms that were the team rebelling against Adidas, the Alabama game uniforms, the Outback Bowl uniforms, the UTL3 uniforms...

Also, I'm not kidding about that MSU game. All of the players swear that the late uniform switch cost them that game, because the entire pregame was frantically putting on new uniforms that weren't tailored and weren't exactly comfortable.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

The Matte helmets were rad for the outback bowl at least.

Well, until Vincent Smith had his helmet knocked into orbit by Clowney

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Neodoomium posted:

The Matte helmets were rad for the outback bowl at least.

Well, until Vincent Smith had his helmet knocked into orbit by Clowney

I didn't even notice the helmets, with the unreadably bright uniforms and all.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

I really liked the UTL jerseys, but proceeded to hate the white versions (it cost Michigan that game against MSU), the very basic Sugar Bowl uniforms that were the team rebelling against Adidas, the Alabama game uniforms, the Outback Bowl uniforms, the UTL3 uniforms...

Also, I'm not kidding about that MSU game. All of the players swear that the late uniform switch cost them that game, because the entire pregame was frantically putting on new uniforms that weren't tailored and weren't exactly comfortable.

Yes, I'm sure there was no way they would lose if their pregame routine had gone as usual.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Was that the year they scored like 9 points

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Neodoomium posted:

Was that the year they scored like 9 points

I thought that was the year that we lost on that stupid rear end bootleg call on 4th and 1.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Somebody noticed this New Arrival! at the MDen (online Michigan fan store):

I found it amusing.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Harbaugh wouldn't be caught dead in non-pleated khakis

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Those have also been in the store for about 3 months, so if you are a conspiracy theorist that wants to spend 70 dollars on pants, the M-Den is for you

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I like the looks of this:

Ed:

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 26, 2014

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Brian just went to "It's Happening," which if you've been reading him, he's been extremely reluctant to do unless he was completely certain.

It must be pretty drat well closed at this point. A huge amount of people would look foolish at this point with the amount of stuff thrown around right now.

Michigan reps are in San Francisco, this might actually happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Jesus.

• Locked thread