Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!
I've been following this guy for weeks and I still can't figure out what the hell the point of Tweetforum is. Is it a message board that automatically sends posts to its Twitter followers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

lexan posted:

I've been following this guy for weeks and I still can't figure out what the hell the point of Tweetforum is. Is it a message board that automatically sends posts to its Twitter followers?

I thought it automatically posted things tweeted to it at the forums - I really can't tell though.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

RedTeam posted:

:stare:

Atlas posted:

...the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some. When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

- The Gun is Civilization
"Can't shoot me, I've got a gun!" :smug:

THE GUN IS GOOD

THE PENIS IS EVIL

-Atlas

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ClosedBSD posted:

I thought it automatically posted things tweeted to it at the forums - I really can't tell though.

The only posts on it are copies of tweets he's made on his 67 different twitter accounts.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!
Well, hopefully Tweetforum 2.0 will offer some substantial improvements. He's taking applications to join the beta test, so now's the time to get in on the ground floor!

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=15747.msg368910#msg368910
Edit: Fixed link.

Nog
May 15, 2006

Vegetta posted:

You really have no idea what your talking about. You are arguing with an industry expert here bud.

If it weren't for the fact that he apparently has a decent amount of BitCoins, I would just peg Vegetta as a troll. Unfortunately, I think he's actually just this naive and megalomaniacal.

JibbaJabbaJimmy
May 21, 2001
If I understand his Tweetforum correctly, a news item is tweeted with a link to the Tweetforum with a copied AP article. Has anyone told him that he is stealing content?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

JibbaJabbaJimmy posted:

If I understand his Tweetforum correctly, a news item is tweeted with a link to the Tweetforum with a copied AP article. Has anyone told him that he is stealing content?

Captains of industry don't steal, they INNOVATE!

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

JibbaJabbaJimmy posted:

QUIT TROLLING!

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
The part that gets me about it is that he's literally just taken an off-the-shelf piece of forum software (SMF) and used a pre-existing RSS-to-Tweet service (twitterfeed.com) and he's deluded himself into thinking he's built something magnificent; and he acts like a captain of industry every time he talks about it and proudly links to his 15 twitter accounts as if to say "most people only have one twitter account, I have many".

That's the hilarious part of all the stupid schemes coming off the Bitcoin forums. Nobody's doing anything that's even in the slightest bit original; they're just clunking together duplo blocks and expecting people to be impressed. All the little homeschooled libertarian children who've spent their entire lives sheltered from reality and being told by their doting mothers that they're special and talented are charging excitedly into the world; and like trapped flies, they just keep banging into the window pane thinking that this time they're going to get through it, that this stock install of SMF is going to take off. That this harebrained business plan, the latest of many in a long line of ideas that were all conspicuously abandoned after a few days, will be the one that convinces someone to invest $20,000.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm I think its hard for them to be original or innovative ...I mean the BITCOIN is the innovation why waste time on little details

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

JibbaJabbaJimmy posted:

Bet he'd lose his mind though if someone copied his idea. A little bit of trolling could result in a large pay-off of nerd rage.

slime_golem
Jul 14, 2011

At this rate, the American dollar won't be worth the foreskins they're printed on.
Of course BoingBoing would be all over something like BitCoins.

Implausible, impractical futurist garbage? I think I hear Cory Doctorow preparing his crusty sock as we speak.

Anyway, between the hosed up distribution, mining and hoarding, wouldn't BitCoins fluctuate like mad? Currencies aren't much use if you can't nail down an absolute value.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Ivor Biggun posted:

Bet he'd lose his mind though if someone copied his idea. A little bit of trolling could result in a large pay-off of nerd rage.

For maximum rage, set up your copycat forum to automatically import his RSS feeds.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Ivor Biggun posted:

biznatchio posted:

For maximum rage, set up your copycat forum to automatically import his RSS feeds.

Was already thinking about giving this a shot:
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=15747.msg369158#msg369158

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Melraidin posted:

So back from 14 $ to 13.50 $ today. Is anyone here taking advantage of the seemingly predictable weekend drops? Or has anyone tracked anyone via the block explorer to see how people are playing the market?

You can't track the MTGox action in blockexplorer, since all trade there happens within their own system. In theory, you might be able to analyze how much BTC gets taken out of MTGox, but that won't tell much.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I forget who JeffK is ITT, but lljk.info is genius, pure genius. Vagina's going to go apeshit over it.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Weatherman posted:

I forget who JeffK is ITT, but lljk.info is genius, pure genius. Vagina's going to go apeshit over it.

We taking bets on how long it takes him to flip and start trying to be "partners" with lljk?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

ripped0ff posted:

If it weren't for the fact that he apparently has a decent amount of BitCoins, I would just peg Vegetta as a troll. Unfortunately, I think he's actually just this naive and megalomaniacal.

It's honestly not just him. The mods over there quite seriously say that people's real world qualifications are irrelevant and shouldn't even be mentioned in discussions over there. It's the ultimate circle jerk.

I've come across some fairly elitist forums in the past but I think the BTC forum is probably one of the worst in terms of having no real basis on which to claim any kind of superiority. Their heads would frigging explode if they came over here and got expert advice from real experts who expect nothing in return.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Lolie posted:

It's honestly not just him. The mods over there quite seriously say that people's real world qualifications are irrelevant and shouldn't even be mentioned in discussions over there. It's the ultimate circle jerk.

I've come across some fairly elitist forums in the past but I think the BTC forum is probably one of the worst in terms of having no real basis on which to claim any kind of superiority.

We are all equal among bitcoins.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

mrwuss posted:

We are all equal among bitcoins.

Animal Farm equal.

gently caress, they're eating their young over there tonight - even Satoshi has become a target.

They're not a cohesive community. They really don't understand the value of sharing your own particular area of expertise with others for no reward other than acquiring knowledge about something new to you.

makomk
Jul 16, 2011

Death Himself posted:

There is some :tinfoil: posting on the Bitcoin forums about how anything bad said about magic the gathering online exchange is deleted/moderated and the people who run the Bitcoin community and the guy who runs mtgox are really friendly, doing each other favors a lot.
Interesting, got a link? It's kinda true of course: can't remember if it was mentioned here, but the original thread about the Mt Gox hack disappeared, as did any threads about it at the time that were negative or discouraged the use of Mt Gox. Sadly I didn't think to save copies of any of them. (If you mean the discussion on the forums about the "Mt Gox is obsolete, stop using it" thread disappearing, that's one of the ones I saw vanish.) Haven't actually seen this happening recently though - mostly they're just getting moved to odd sections, with the occasional one getting edited to imply the original poster's a liar. For some odd reason none of the threads that were spreading easily disproved lies about other trading sites got this treatment.

Railing Kill posted:

Yeah, I'm getting a Jack Chick feeling from this comic. It's not as funny, though or as well drawn. It's the same brand of idiotic browbeating.

Even some of the Bitcoin forum posters feel the same way

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ClosedBSD posted:

The correct word is "parasite"

Ayn Rand didn't actually use parasite a lot, just very briefly.

archaeo
Nov 5, 2009

may the power of Hecate compel you

Boiled Water posted:

A quick check of "The Virtue of Selfishness" shows it to be chock-a-block full of the term. As in, someone who is in favor of free healthcare, or any public insurance, would qualify. Basically, anyone who isn't a Randian Superman.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Boiled Water posted:

As a general rule, any stupid thing Ayn Rand did or said gets seized on and used much more often by internet libertarians. And the stupider the better.

For example: all the "heroes" of Atlas Shrugged first got themselves hundreds of workers and underlings each to do their work for them to be considered great. Of course it's not the people they hire who actually do the work who are great just the guy in charge but you need to have them to prove you're really a True Hero Man or whatever.

Your average internet libertarian however thinks he's a great dude from Atlas Shrugged despite having noone to order around to do his work. And they wonder why people don't respect them for haivng nothing more than vague ideas and rudimentary skills.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

fishmech posted:

For example: all the "heroes" of Atlas Shrugged first got themselves hundreds of workers and underlings each to do their work for them to be considered great. Of course it's not the people they hire who actually do the work who are great just the guy in charge but you need to have them to prove you're really a True Hero Man or whatever.

I thought most of them were presented as having worked their way up from the mailroom, so to speak. It's been years since I slogged through Atlas Shrugged, but I'm pretty sure I remember one of the characters got a part-time job as an errand boy or something at a copper mine when he started college, and by the time he graduated, he was not only running the mine, he OWNED it. And that's completely plausible because he's just that good. :jerkbag:

So you'd think the Randroids would pick their industry and go try to do the same thing. My guess is they don't do that because it sounds hard, and anyway they deserve to be the boss right away, because clearly they're just that good too.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
I'm pretty sure that's Francisco you're talking about. Heir to a billion dollar copper empire (it's going to be his anyway) and he gets a side job breaking rocks while he's at university, just 'cause. :allears:

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003
I need to finish Xenogears sometime, damn it.

fishmech posted:

Your average internet libertarian however thinks he's a great dude from Atlas Shrugged despite having noone to order around to do his work. And they wonder why people don't respect them for haivng nothing more than vague ideas and rudimentary skills.

Atlas wouldn't expect you to understand. You see, he's an idea man.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I was wondering, what is libtards take on Rand being Atheist? Aren't a lot of them also bible thumpers?

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Powered Descent posted:

So you'd think the Randroids would pick their industry and go try to do the same thing. My guess is they don't do that because it sounds hard, and anyway they deserve to be the boss right away, because clearly they're just that good too.

Ah, but picking an industry and starting to work in it gives you experience, and experience kills the Dunning–Kruger effect that is keeping their whole worldview afloat.

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011
Lol, from the discussion of how to make a comic about buttcoins funny:

quote:

Although, Bitcoin is indeed not funny, but you can probably find lot of material within the community that surrounds bitcoin.

Indeed, you can.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So has Atlas ever expressed his plans for after high school? Aside from his long term fascist dreams.
Not surprisingly, he is being home schooled.

Zappatista
Oct 28, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Lodin posted:

I was wondering, what is libtards take on Rand being Atheist? Aren't a lot of them also bible thumpers?
I thought it was the other way around...that "heh loving sky wizard" Internet atheism went hand-in-hand with right-wing libertarianism

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Ahh drat it, they've learned how to google search:
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=15747.msg370140#msg370140

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
So now Vegetta is paying people 3.4 cents for each post on his lovely concept forum?

What is the conversion from dollars to e-cred? I need to know if I get better return on my posting there instead of here.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Good Citizen posted:

So now Vegetta is paying people 3.4 cents for each post on his lovely concept forum?

What is the conversion from dollars to e-cred? I need to know if I get better return on my posting there instead of here.

Earning bitcoins gives actually negative ecred. It's practically equivalent ot castrating your epeen.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I Greyhound posted:

So is there any Bitcoin proponent that has even a high school level of understanding of how government, taxes, finance, and currency work? I'm not sure I've seen one.

The same can pretty much be said for libertarians in general.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Lodin posted:

What? no

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If thats what a highschool understanding leads to....drat they really need to step it up in the school system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Lodin posted:

Nerdy internet libertarians are usually atheists of the most condescending sort.

Tea party libertarians are a different breed, they're the ones that are usually conservative Christians.