Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So anyone else still not able to get their preorder stuffs? I've been doing the license restore thing but keep getting error np-34993-8 and it seems no one online has any clue what that means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
What kind of content does this game have besides the storyline and multiplayer? I'm interested but I don't generally like multiplayer and I assume the story is typical fighting game-short.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pierson posted:

What kind of content does this game have besides the storyline and multiplayer? I'm interested but I don't generally like multiplayer and I assume the story is typical fighting game-short.

The story is really long, actually (for a fighting game).

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Pierson posted:

the content of the game is not multiplayer only, everything that can be done in multi can be done solo as well.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

I like to take the teleport and then catch them on the other end with a super combo rather than bat them back across the stage. It's pretty surprising how much flexibility they give you in combat for cancelling out of strings and such.

You too, huh? Gotta say that's one of my favorite strategies, especially because the default ultimate for ki users starts firing rrally fast.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Pierson posted:

That is the bulk of the game's content. Playing the storyline unlocks different side quests and variations of the storyline quest you already completed.

You do this solo with CPU or online up to 2 other people.

The only other content is 1-6 player PVP.

I probably wouldn't recommend the game if you aren't going to play online.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So anyone else still not able to get their preorder stuffs? I've been doing the license restore thing but keep getting error np-34993-8 and it seems no one online has any clue what that means.
That error seems terrible. The only way I see some people fixing it is to reset their PS4 to factory settings (which isn't even guaranteed).

The stuff just showed up for me in my inventory once I created a guy, I didn't have to do anything special for it.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Evil Canadian posted:

the content of the game is not multiplayer only, everything that can be done in multi can be done solo as well.

yea ive mostly been doing solo so far, so i'm not super awful when i play with other people. i thought i was going to want to be ranged, but actually, being melee pretty much owns bones. watching my tiny buu beat people up while wearing a golden spandex suit is cracking me up.

i DID solve my mic issue; for PC, you have to go into Options - > Game Settings (or something like that) and select a mic mute option. if anyone else watches tv/avoids headphones while gaming, i hope this'll help!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

That dance super is possibly the most underrated move ever, and it should be part of everyone's arsenals. People in multiplayer don't realize all the good I'm doing in dancing with the enemies on wakeup so they can do their giant ki blasts on them.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Nasgate posted:

I hope they let us learn that move some day. My little frieza named Minifridge would love to explode as a combo finisher.

Frieza's have a really easy inifinite. if they have been put into knockdown and they're falling you just just light attack to repeatedly backhand them into the air.

Everyone has it easy. Light aura dash combo, while they are flying back heavy aura dash combo, while they are flying back light aura dash combo, repeat til dead. I'm pretty sure this isn't a majin exclusive combo and it murders everything. If the guy is real tricky and recovers before you catch them just it them with a heavy aura dash combo and blow them away with galick gun or whatever the gently caress.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I can't even connect to the servers to play single player.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RickDaedalus posted:

Is there any way to gain Stamina faster? I use Kaioken x20 and it burns through all my stamina. After that, I hope nobody hits me because there is nothing I can do, but take it until I get enough ki to dodge.

In the same way that "powering up" is a move that you have to learn (though some characters start with), there's totally an ability for sale at the technique store that allows you to "smack your cheeks to recover your stamina" aka its powering up but for stamina instead of ki.

So you can use that technique or you can pop some pillz.

Surprised I haven't seen more musical instruments around. :cheeky:

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Darko posted:

That dance super is possibly the most underrated move ever, and it should be part of everyone's arsenals. People in multiplayer don't realize all the good I'm doing in dancing with the enemies on wakeup so they can do their giant ki blasts on them.

Everyone wants to be DPS, noone wants to be support.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

In the same way that "powering up" is a move that you have to learn (though some characters start with), there's totally an ability for sale at the technique store that allows you to "smack your cheeks to recover your stamina" aka its powering up but for stamina instead of ki.

So you can use that technique or you can pop some pillz.

Surprised I haven't seen more musical instruments around. :cheeky:

The Dance super paralyzes whatever enemy is next to you and restores your stamina while it goes on.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Evil Canadian posted:

I am using a Saiyan female so I can't guarantee combo strings are the same throughout everyone, but for example 2,1,1,1,1 after the intiial blowback if you keep hitting 1 you teleport to the other side of them, hit them again, and then teleport back for the final hit.

However any move that ends with a blowback you can hit the jump button and teleport to where they will be going on the other end for the cost of 2 bars of stamina. So say if you had 4 bars of stamina you could chain together a massive combo by teleporting twice during it.

As for good combo supers, it really depends on what move you are using to blow them back with. The chain of 2,1,2,1,2 ends with a giant punch that has much longer recovery for the enemy than most blowbacks, so you could combo a big bang attack off that whereas it would miss on most string enders.

Oh I get it. I was jumping after the initial hard attack because it knocks up and that's the most efficient way of following the enemy. It must have been using the teleport whenever I had the stamina.

Honestly, it feels like Stamina is almost always going to be the most important stat in the game. It's a combobreaker and a damage extender rolled into one.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

BattleCattle posted:

Everyone wants to be DPS, noone wants to be support.
I'm the worthless human using Solar Flare to daze a guy to have my SSJ partner hit him with a Super Kamehameha and take 1/4th off his lifebar.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Does getting higher ranks in missions get you more/better chance of items

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

The fights in this game look absolutely loving amazing. Load times between cutscenes and scenery are surprisingly fast for a game on the XBONE.

Video Nasty fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 27, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Man this game just feels so much fun to play. Cannonball smashing somebody into the ground to give myself time to charge a kamehameha and then hitting them with it right as they're getting up NEVER. GETS. OLD. :allears:

Pierson posted:

Zaphod42 posted:

There are 3 main modes:

Story/Time stuff, where you play specific encounters as yourself or DBZ characters in specific order, solo only
Parallel Quests (or PQs) which let you play out set encounters (like dungeons) with whatever characters you choose, solo or online
Versus mode, which lets you fight like a standard arcade figher game, with whatever characters you choose, on whatever map you choose, solo or online

Story/Time stuff is a very long solo only campaign. That's the storyline.

There's also the PQs which are like cool dungeon encounters where you can do anything; so it could be Nappa and Goku fighting against Piccolo and a bunch of saibaman on Namek or something weird like that.

Verus lets you fight over and over like any standard fighting game.

In addition to all this there's supposedly going to be a real-time world martial arts tournament in-game, and you can apparently spectate as well as compete.

Ultimately it is just a fighting game though, but it has a bit more depth to it. It reminds me strongly of Phantasy Star Online.

Eonwe posted:

I think so? :shrug:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 27, 2015

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Harlock posted:

I'm the worthless human using Solar Flare to daze a guy to have my SSJ partner hit him with a Super Kamehameha and take 1/4th off his lifebar.

What's really sad is doing stun moves during the Story mode and watching your computer partners just sitting there the whole time. I'm just dancing with Beerus and Buu is looking at us instead of doing something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harlock posted:

Even better is you could use the chained Evil Explosion ability. In co-ordinated multi you could have one guy solar flare and then two guys do a full-charge evil explosion and you'd take off like half of somebody's life bar right off.

I really love all the variety of techniques and how it feels to get a new technique as a quest reward. Its really satisfying. (Although grinding to get the one you want sucks)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

This game is basically Monster Hunter DBZ on PC.

Just put that as the thread title tbh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Terper posted:

This game is basically Monster Hunter DBZ on PC.

Just put that as the thread title tbh.

Phantasy Star Dragonball Hunter Online Z

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Doing infinites is boring

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So I got through the infamous Ginyu Mission (just barely, Gohan and Krillen were both in the red) on my first shot, and then Frieza used three Death Balls within about 30 seconds and wiped the group. That's annoying. What's a good level for the Frieza Saga? I'm 16 now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I finished Frieza saga at 19

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just finished it at 19 or 20 too.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

20, on this end. I think I started at 17, so you should be fine.

Just use your aura dash to get away from the deathball, or bring along the super guard. That ball hits like a truck, regardless of level.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Zaphod42 posted:

Even better is you could use the chained Evil Explosion ability. In co-ordinated multi you could have one guy solar flare and then two guys do a full-charge evil explosion and you'd take off like half of somebody's life bar right off.

I really love all the variety of techniques and how it feels to get a new technique as a quest reward. Its really satisfying. (Although grinding to get the one you want sucks)
The funniest thing I'm seeing is one guy trying to line up a beam attack and someone just does a square square triangle combo and moves the opponent ever so slightly out of the way.

Playing online is kind of a mixed basket. It's fun, no matter what - even if you comp stomp, but there's very little challenge. Or so I've encountered. Everyone is replaying 1-2 star missions with their level 60 SSJ2 characters. Which I appreciate in farming Kaioken x20 or Super Sayian.

If you want a more controlled/challenging/lengthier fight - probably best to make your own group.

Eonwe posted:

I'm not sure. Empirically I want to say no. I've failed missions where I've gotten 4 items and passed missions at Z to only get 1 or even 0. I just think whenever you do something - kill a guy/complete an objective, it just has a random roll.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, just did that early-game PQ online where you team up with Vegeta and fight Krillin, Gohan, Goku and Kaioken Goku on Namek and it was really fun. I had to resurrect both my team mates and came fairly closing to dying myself, so there's definitely challenge if you want it.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

My goku

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Haha cool now I can't even play single-player because the server'so acting up. Nice.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The AI's really hit-and-miss. Sometimes my partners will just stare at me as I get bounced around between 3 guys, and sometimes they'll do something awesome like hit my opponent with a fully charged kamehameha right after I grab them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I've had Goku just kinda watch me get kicked around by dudes a few times. I just always imagine it as one of those superman is a dick situations where he's pouring water out in front of his friends lost in the desert or something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

The AI's really hit-and-miss. Sometimes my partners will just stare at me as I get bounced around between 3 guys, and sometimes they'll do something awesome like hit my opponent with a fully charged kamehameha right after I grab them.

Yeah the AI is inconsistent but you can kinda 'manage' them if you need to.

Are you getting 2-manned? Use the speed flying to just loving fly all over the place, zig-zag like crazy or just fly to the opposite side of the arena. Odds are your enemies will de-agro you and go after your allies.

Enemies still following you? Go fly back over to your allies. Then fly away again. Looping around like this will cause the enemies to de-agro to your allies, or will cause your allies to wake up and start beating on your enemies.

If you fight 2v1 and expect the AI to come save you, they rarely will, (They like to get fixated on their own 2v1 fights sometimes) but you can just fly away and hide behind a rock and charge your Ki or something and then things will mix up.

Alternatively, if you're in a 2v1 then you know your allies are in a 2v1 too, so just play defensively and stall for time?

Better yet: Play online with real people and the AI doesn't matter. (yeah yeah servers are down right now, I know.)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Haha cool now I can't even play single-player because the server'so acting up. Nice.

I really don't think they were expecting this many people to purchase the game, which is annoying, but also a good thing. I can usually play online Parallel's on PS4 but can't stay in the online lobby very long, one of the few problems I have with the game.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Go offline so that it doesn't try to connect to the lobby server. Go back online once you are in game and you'll be able to do MP stuff again and won't get disconnected constantly, but you won't see other players in the lobby. Atleast, that works on PS4.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I'm simultaneously happy that the company seems to be getting way more players than they expected, and annoyed that their servers also seemingly were made of cardboard, bubble gum, and the hopes and dreams of their IT crew.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sadly its kinda the accepted practice in 2015 that you don't have enough server load to handle launch day / initial rush.

The options business have are either to purchase a ton of extra servers that don't get used after a week or two, or to have the game really struggle online for a week or two and save money.

Guess which one they favor :cheeky:

Ideally they'd rent out some temporary time on EC2 or something, but that'd require them to implement the server in AWS or whatever.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

eonwe and me are gonna form a team if anyone wants to join. we're both CST I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear in the Woods
Jun 1, 2013
It says to fight alongside your mentor to help raise the mentor level, but would using their variants work (using Vegeta SSJ4 to raise Vegeta's mentorship for example)?

Also could I get an add to the steam group? http://steamcommunity.com/id/OhGodNotTheBears/

• Locked thread