Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Tony Abbott held one of his regular dinners with MPs in his prime ministerial dining suite on Tuesday. Andrew Robb was there, the trade minister who has pulled off the three free trade deals which sit at the top of every list of this government’s achievements.

The prime minister proceeded to aggressively castigate his senior minister – one source said “dump on” him – for the government struggling to “sell” the benefits of its China free trade agreement and because the government’s taxpayer-funded advertising campaign to spruik the deal has been slow to eventuate and is not running in the lead-up to the Canning byelection in Western Australia, despite repeated assurances that it is “in the can”.

The Liberal federal director, Brian Loughnane, is also said to have mentioned the prime minister’s “fury” at the absence of these government China free trade ads in the lead-up to Canning next weekend during a meeting of marginal seat MPs on Wednesday. Loughnane conceded to the meeting – apparently getting bigger and bigger as more backbenchers find themselves in the danger zone under the swings predicted in every opinion poll – that the issue was hurting the Coalition in Canning.

It seems that – just as Labor found with its carbon tax advertising campaign – it’s really hard to fit politically potent advertising into the fact-based guidelines for ads that are paid for by the taxpayer. And in any event the point of the government’s $24m campaign is to promote and explain all three free trade deals, not help the government in Canning, even if the result is seen as critical to Abbott’s future. For the record, radio ads are set to start this week, but the television campaign won’t be ready until later this month.

The prime ministerial dressing down came just days after unsourced reports that Robb might be in line to replace former Labor leader Kim Beazley as Australia’s ambassador to Washington, forcing Robb to publicly declare he had no interest in leaving his current ministerial position. And a few days later Robb found himself on the Daily Telegraph’s cabinet reshuffle hit-list. More of that later.

Robb is probably not the government’s best communicator, but he’s by no means its worst, and he has poured every ounce of his energy into his portfolio and in most people’s estimation has done a very good job. Abbott always publicly praises Robb, so the dinner tirade might be put down to deep political frustration. Other sources insist the prime minister’s frustration was directed at the slowness of the ad campaign rather than the minister, who doesn’t actually control the bureaucratic ad approval process. But some in the room certainly saw it as a dressing down. But how dumping on a senior minister in front of a roomful of colleagues could possibly help morale or enhance his or the government’s sales pitch is a mystery to many in the Coalition.

And at least Robb’s efforts at explaining the benefits of the deal go to its detail, rather than thinking that a quick name-change would do the trick, apparently the assumption behind the Coalition’s attempt to rebrand the FTA as a “China export agreement” on Thursday – as if we’d all then forget that Chinese imports are also part of the free trade equation.

But back to the hit list: yet another unsourced newspaper story that the prime minister was planning a big reshuffle of his ministry before Christmas. Phones ran hot on Friday with theories about who was behind the leak and what might have motivated it. The prime minister emerged to insist it was “wrong” and that “reports of end-of-year reshuffles are absolutely a dime a dozen”.

He was certainly right on the second point. Many versions of the same story have run in recent months, most recently in the Australian on 22 August. The assumption within the Coalition is that the prime minister’s office is either behind them, or at least not dissuading their publication. The prime minister’s office denies this. But it seems reasonable to assume that no journalist would even consider writing a story asserting that the prime minister was planning to sack eight named ministers without at least running the proposition past the prime minister’s office, even if the original source of the idea was someone else.

One of the jostling leadership contenders maybe. Perhaps one who was miffed that Abbott was refusing to shift Joe Hockey from the treasury portfolio and install them instead.

And such stories could work in the prime minister’s interests. The threat of a reshuffle might be enough to give unhappy ministers pause for thought, and the prospect might settle those waiting in the wings and worried the government is about to get turfed out before they ever get their feet under the cabinet table.

And the Tele yarn did list eight ministers facing demotion and 11 set for promotion, which wouldn’t really work when you think about it.

Whatever its source, the attack on Robb and the constant leaking and speculation about ministerial positions is evidence that the internal positioning and tensions caused by the Coalition’s entrenched poll position and leadership struggle is overtaking the broader interests of the government and the nation.

The cabinet could not make a decision on competition law two weeks ago – an issue considered of vital importance by both big and small business – because ministers held strong and opposite opinions and the government apparently could not risk the fight. It was deferred indefinitely, leaving small business supporters of the legal change and big business opponents locked in an endless cycle of lobbying and uncertainty.

Last week’s cabinet meeting did not discuss the government’s political situation, even though it was held on its second birthday and after a new poll showed its primary vote remained 6.6% lower than when it was elected. That chat was deferred to the post-cabinet dinner, which several ministers skipped.

The truce that was supposed to last at least until after the Canning byelection has not held and ministers readily concede the current situation is not tenable. They’re just not clear how or when to change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

drunkill posted:

Hey. At least a Liberal Member acknowledges climate change, right?

No words.

Well plenty of words but not suitable for the thread.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
This one is called "And the band played on"

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if anyone cares about public sector enterprise bargaining as an indicator of the Government's labour market policies, but Human Services has just delivered a fairly emphatic rejection of the policy with an 80% no vote: https://m.canberratimes.com.au/national/public-service/human-services-emphatically-votes-no-to-public-service-wage-deal-20150910-gjk43d.html.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Gorbash posted:

I'm not sure if anyone cares about public sector enterprise bargaining as an indicator of the Government's labour market policies, but Human Services has just delivered a fairly emphatic rejection of the policy with an 80% no vote: https://m.canberratimes.com.au/national/public-service/human-services-emphatically-votes-no-to-public-service-wage-deal-20150910-gjk43d.html.

Jhahahhahahahah

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog!

Kittenpile!

Intensive Care Amputee Kitten!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus christ, remember this guy?

quote:

Federal Circuit Court judge accused of bias after rejecting hundreds of migration cases

Just now:

quote:

Judge accused of bias now has airline guide dog ruling overturned

Fresh questions over the approach of a Sydney Federal Circuit Court judge emerge after his ruling that a severely disabled man did not have the right to travel with his guide dog is overturned.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death
Which is Peter Dutton

and which is Karl Pilkington

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Mocking people's physical appearance would seem to be a bit of a dangerous game for most typical goons to be playing.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Negligent posted:

Mocking people's physical appearance would seem to be a bit of a dangerous game for most typical goons to be playing.

Bugger off you humourless twat.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

sidviscous posted:

Bugger off you humourless twat.

Post a picture of yourself so I can continue the joke.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I dunno, it was both a fair point and a good general burn.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Negligent posted:

Post a picture of yourself so I can continue the joke.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Is that a landline phone?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

waterline phone :eng101:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

sidviscous posted:

Which is Peter Dutton

and which is Karl Pilkington

It's easy to tell the difference. Karl Pilkington doesn't have a vacant look in his eyes.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
The difference is i laugh at Dutton.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Is Cape Time what it sounds like? Because it sounds p racist.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

SynthOrange posted:

Far-right group United Patriots Front to run for Senate, and campaign on right to 'bare arms' (sic).

Can it be legislated that short sleeves are acceptable corporate wear.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

:stare:

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
:coal:, it's an amazing thing.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Coal is... good?

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Does anyone actually use the term "coldies"?

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
Put the coal on a skateboard.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Libspill 2.0 :getin:

quote:

Tony Abbott hits phones as leadership talk heats up

Sep 11 2015 at 6:24 PM Updated Sep 11 2015 at 6:40 PM
http://www.afr.com/news/politics/abbott-fights-off-new-challenge-20150910-gjk33y?stb=twt#ixzz3lQREFLYm

Tony Abbott is fighting to protect his leadership against a fresh coup that is brewing from within his frontbench.

Multiple sources have told AFR Weekend that the plan is to mount another leadership challenge regardless of the outcome of next week's by-election in the Western Australian seat of Canning.

Malcolm Turnbull is, at the moment, the likely leadership rival should there be a push, while Julie Bishop would stay as deputy. Some members of the Right, who could not previously abide Mr Turnbull, confided that they could now vote for him.

"There's no alternative," said a source.

Social Services Minister Scott Morrison is said to be sticking by Mr Abbott but would benefit from a change, most likely by becoming Treasurer.

"Everything changes if the top changes," said one powerbroker. He added that the move this time was "not about Mr Morrison" insofar as he was not being lined up for a leadership role.

Mr Abbott publicly confronted the issue on Friday after The Daily Telegraph reported he was under pressure to bring forward a reshuffle of his ministry, scheduled for Christmas, to head off the push.

The publication of a list of ministers supposedly to be targeted for demotion sparked an internal round of hostilities and finger-pointing as to who was behind it.

Mr Abbott rang ministers on the hit list, including one of his top performers Trade Minister Andrew Robb, to assure them the list did not come from the Prime Minister or his office. Some ministers rang Mr Abbott or his office first to seek clarification.

Others on the list like Eric Abetz and Kevin Andrews are part of Mr Abbott's Praetorian Guard and are protecting the PM.

One minister called the list published in The Daily Telegraph "the most Machiavellian act ever perpetrated".

"This is a bastard of an act. We've had the best week we've had all year," he said, in reference to the well received decision to accept 12,000 Syrian refugees.

Mr Abbott, who heads to the Western Australian seat of Canning this weekend to campaign ahead of next Saturday's critical by-election, said the report was "wrong".

"Reports of end-of-year reshuffles are absolutely a dime a dozen," he said.

Mr Abbott is believed to still have the numbers to protect him against a challenge but one MP keen on a change said "things are moving pretty fast".

Another said there was definitely movement but little co-ordination and he feared the renewed unrest could be devastating for the government in Canning.

"There's a lot of chatter among the frontbench but it's not clear where this is landing.

"That's the worst of both worlds. The government suffers from the chatter."

The government suffered a modest setback in Canning on Friday when the Liberal Democratic Party, led by Senator David Leyonhjelm, announced it would direct its preferences away from the Liberal Party in response to an ongoing legal dispute with the Liberals and to protest some policy decisions.

The government is expecting a strong swing against it in Canning and Mr Abbott is conscious he needs a respectable result to keep the wolves at bay. One theory circulating on Friday was that the reshuffle story had been leaked to blow up the government in Canning and ensure Mr Abbott's ouster.

Treasurer Joe Hockey was drawn into the firing line when 2GB radio host Ray Hadley, a supporter of the government and who has a good relationship with Mr Morrison, suggested to Mr Hockey during a live interview that he should resign for the good of the government and Mr Abbott.

"If [Mr Abbott] says, 'Look, Joe we're moving into election cycle, it's next year and you're one of my best mates, you're a great bloke, I think you're a great Treasurer, but we just might have to move things, we might have to put you somewhere else', would you take one for the team without bluing or screaming?"

Mr Hockey dismissed the suggestion.

The government's day further soured when Mr Abbott and Mr Dutton, while posing for a photo opportunity, were caught on camera joking about the effect of climate change swamping Pacific islands. Mr Morrison, standing beside them, warned them about the boom microphone overhead as Mr Abbott and Mr Dutton chuckled at the joke.

In February, Mr Abbott survived a motion to spill the leadership by 61 votes to 39. After what he described as that near-death experience, he asked his team to give him six months to turn the ship around.

But despite a brief surge in the wake of the May budget, the government has been pretty much lagging Labor by 54 per cent to 46 per cent on a two-party-preferred basis.

One frontbencher told AFR Weekend that he believed it was a matter of if, not when, the leadership would again be confronted.

"It's like the election," he said. "There will be one, we just don't know when."

Labor privately fears a switch to Mr Turnbull with Mr Morrison as Treasurer, believing they would be much harder to beat.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Digiwizzard posted:

Put the coal on a skateboard.

That would be... radicoal.

Apologies to Les Affaires

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Les Affaires posted:

waterline phone :eng101:

We don't make comments on on-water telephony.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

katlington posted:

Is Cape Time what it sounds like? Because it sounds p racist.

It's one of those things where you cant use it if you're white unless you aren't racist (evry white person is racist) so yea you're correct, its p racist

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

This is disgusting, but it could be quite thoroughly mocked by mimicking the format as a meme. I'm thinking "no sugar without slaves" would be a great start.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Ler posted:

I hope Abbott does a Newman and calls an election just before the spill motion.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I hope he's mauled by a bear.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
It's happening?

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Ler posted:

I am so hard right now.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I hope he's mauled by a honey badger.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

quote:

"This is a bastard of an act. We've had the best week we've had all year,"
:catstare: :staredog: :dogbutton:

I don't know what's funnier, that someone actually thought that or that it might really be true..

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Apartment owners could be forced to sell properties under proposed strata law shakeup

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-11/homeowners-could-be-forced-to-sell-properties-under-property-law/6769942

quote:

Thousands of apartment owners could be forced to sell their own homes under a massive shakeup of property laws that developers hope will be adopted by all state and territory governments.
Under existing laws, 100 per cent of residents who own flats in an apartment building must agree to the terms of a full buyout from a developer.
The New South Wales Government wants to lower that threshold to 75 per cent, as part of a raft of reforms to strata title laws.

It is understood the changes will be put before the State's Parliament next month.
The industry says current laws make it difficult and expensive for ageing buildings to be redeveloped, because residents who do want to sell their homes can stop a collective sale going ahead.
Developers say the reforms will help increase urban housing density in the country's big cities.

The New South Wales Minister for Innovation and Better Regulation, Victor Dominello, said there would be protections in place to ensure residents are fairly compensated for the sale of their homes.
"You've got to have at least just terms compensation," he said.
"That is the minimum market value provided to the owners. And in most cases it will be well in access of that."

The NSW Opposition has plans to vote against the legislation.
"We're not going to support the proposal between the Government and the developers to evict, particularly older people, from their homes," opposition MP Peter Primrose said.
I don't see why they should be able to change your status just because they suddenly want to make a lot of money.

Strata title is the most common form of apartment ownership in Australia. It is estimated about 3 million people live in strata title apartments.
University of New South Wales strata title expert Cathy Sherry said the change would inevitably result in people being forced to sell their own homes.
"It's the Government empowering private citizens to take other people's property and the Government can essentially write the legislation any way it wants," she said.

Dr Sherry said one of the goal of the legislation — to renew run-down apartment buildings — has merit.
But she pointed out there was no requirement in the proposed legislation for developers to only redevelop run-down buildings.
Nor was there a requirement for them to increase density by building more units than they demolish.
"So, a developer could do a cosmetic revamp, strip the apartments inside, make them look a lot posher, do a cosmetic revamp on the outside and they may not be redeveloping to a higher density because that land size isn't big enough," she said.
"But a developer can still make a profit."

Other states consider adopting NSW changes

Randwick resident Vern Philpott said he was worried his apartment building could be targeted by developers.
"I don't see why they should be able to change your status just because they suddenly want to make a lot of money," the 88-year-old said.

The Property Council of Australia's Chief Executive Ken Morrisson said he hoped other states would adopt the NSW changes.
"We're seeing in Western Australia advanced stages of debate as well," he said.
"There's a parliamentary inquiry [into strata title laws] in South Australia."
The Victorian Government has told 7.30 it is willing to consider the 75-per cent threshold as part of a review into property laws that begins in November.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MiniSune posted:

It's happening?

Honestly at this point I'll believe it when I see it, as the one thing Abbott has shown some capability in is of is clinging on to power, well past any sensible point, seemingly, mostly by just being incredibly stubborn.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 11, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Freudian Slip posted:

the advantage of being high on the ballot is that you collect the donkey votes.

It pisses me off so much that we can't even do the obvious 'randomise the order across different ballot papers' despite everyone knowing it should happen and it being fairly easy. SORRY TOO HARD GUYS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

MikeJF posted:

It pisses me off so much that we can't even do the obvious 'randomise the order across different ballot papers' despite everyone knowing it should happen and it being fairly easy. SORRY TOO HARD GUYS

They do that in the ACT. It makes the counting much more difficult and error prone. It's called Robson Rotation

• Locked thread