Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

70 is such a low cap. I can't get in :(
970 here and getting a solid 40 FPS. Weeeee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Yeah I've been trying to get on this server for a solid 45 minutes.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

I gave up trying to get in. spent an hour trying to connect, got to character creation and then crashed when i clicked spawn.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

TwatHammer posted:

I gave up trying to get in. spent an hour trying to connect, got to character creation and then crashed when i clicked spawn.

But that was barely anytime for you get lost! You gotta get back in there

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Monowhatever posted:

But that was barely anytime for you get lost! You gotta get back in there

When i did get in, Oh boy did i get lost. If some goons hadnt come and found me i'd still be wandering around. Give it time, i'll be getting lost oh so much back in that cave.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
They are still looking for us on 40. I logged in and found what I think are the goons who didn't want to be in Tribe of Tribe building right outside of where Goon ARK used to be.

So I killed them.

Then some dude was paroling north beach on a bird. So he picked me up 3 times and tried dropping me in the ocean but I wasn't having that poo poo so I killed his bird with a pike I looted out of a drop. Holy poo poo the drops around where ARK used to be.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Man, it's not really running that well on my 970 GTX MSI 4G, i7 4770 processor, 16GB of RAM. Any suggested settings? I just downloaded it, so I should have yesterday's patch already, right?

How can I force VSync? I didn't see an option for it and screen tearing is terrible.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Had my first foray onto a public PvP server last night - figured with the reset it was the perfect time to go exploring away from my private server environment.

Sure enough the server was awash with Thatch huts and people struggling to reclaim their lost wealth and status, so my brother and I set upon cracking open huts like so many oysters, and feasting on the unconscious flesh within. After 2/3 thatch huts, we came across our true prize however. A wooden structure on the beach, 9x9 large, with no roof - We climbed a nearby rock, and saw an unconscious body inside, a bed, a large storage box and a mortar and pestle. All that barred us was a locked door.

It became our life work on this server, as we put our level 3 minds to the task of getting in. It was wood, so our stone tools would do nothing. It was an enemy structure, so we couldn't simply build a ramp and jump in. What followed next was a benny-hill like list of random stupid poo poo that we tried to pull off, including:

1) Dumping a whole lot of garbage items next to the guys wall in hopes that we might physics glitch in
2) Building a thatch building a couple hundred feet away, and attempting to build a land bridge over the top of his house
3) Aggroing a Trike to come and punt us into the house
4) Aggroing a Trike and attempting to surf on its back into the house

...We were about to give up, until suddenly we were attacked by 2 deformed midgets. At first we threw our poo poo at them, but then we brandished our spears in a sign of peace. They agreed to join our cause to break into the house. Our master plan was formed: We would place a stash box next to the wall, the 3 midgets would stand on the box, and I would surf on their heads to get in. (I was a freakish long limbed thing)

Everything SEEMED to be working, but I was only just missing getting over the wall by what felt like mere inches, until suddenly one of the midgets yelled "PUNCH HIS rear end!". Now hold on, I didn't approve of this - but half a second of thundering blows on my rear end later, I fell unconscious... and my ragdoll slid over the wall. I heard the cheering outside the wall quickly turn to screams as my brother dispatched our helpers, yelling "NO SHARING" in a Swedish accent as he did what needed to be done.

Inside was a level 56 player, who had obviously logged on and started rapidly readying himself to get his dinosaur army back - The players name was 'DinoTamer' and he had a bunch of tranq arrows, narcotics - Goodies. I realised I couldn't actually get OUT of the house, so I started hucking the loot over the wall to my brother - and as I did so, the midgets came back for their revenge. My bro was murdered quite quickly, the loot that had been thrown over the wall so far was taken, and with a glib "CYA oval office" in my direction they strolled off into the darkness never to be seen again. :allears:

End of the story is I destroyed everything in the guys house, and in a fit of frustration that I couldn't throw his body out of the house, murdered him and killed myself by punching the walls.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Are there other servers goons are on? With 82 being full all the time I would rather play on something with less people, or a higher population cap. :(

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
The goon horde could, you know, split into a couple of smaller swarms so it's not constantly 40 goons trying to play on a 70-pop server.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

That sounds like an awful idea.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Awfully good idea

Goon servers always splinter eventually anyways

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Set up a mumble subchannel for #40 because no one can loving log onto #82.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
whatever they patched tonight finally let me play this game (No sky effects, lowest settings, windowed, fps config) fluidly on my Crapbook Pro

do i get an achievement for eating the most dinosaur poo poo

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Where's vsync? :(

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

TwatHammer posted:

Playing on high/ultra with ~50-60fps so far

Your resolution scaling must be way off, it averages 30 FPS on a 970 and like 35 on 980's

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Here's my 970 settings, runs plenty fine unless I get to one of those huge open areas:

Last I checked sky quality and distance field AO seem to give an FPS hit without adding any quality.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Okay, I'm buying this poo poo.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Folks having trouble logging on to full servers, you can use steam to queue your way in. Just go to the page in steam for ark, in the top menu click View, then Servers, go to favorites (assuming you've favorited your server you use) then click connect. When it says full , click autojoin then the bottom checkbox and go and get a coffee. Chances are when you return, you'll be in game.

Also:

:getin:

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Sintax posted:

Here's my 970 settings, runs plenty fine unless I get to one of those huge open areas:

Last I checked sky quality and distance field AO seem to give an FPS hit without adding any quality.

This makes things much better. Now if only I could get rid of screen tearing...

Time to read up on the OP and check out videos so I know what to do past running around naked.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Updated OP with info from here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3726742
Thanks Quornes and other goons who compiled it

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The official patch notes say "- Raised Max Tamed Dino Level Additions to 38" in 174, so it shouldn't be 40 levels on tame dinos. If you suggest using a scorpion they are also going to need to know to tame one with a very low taming efficiency to decrease the melee damage and that they are going to have to kite/tank heavily due to the slow torpor over time of the venom. Depending on the victims level that can take minutes and you can't be certain of how many hits you're going to need to KO them.

Using a bird to carry tranq bow wielding players is going to be a better technique for taking big scary critters unless you really want to min/max your taming effectiveness.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 24, 2015

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Since it seems the XP from notes has been reduced(as well as a few other recipes) what are some recommended goods to powerlevel through crafting? Narcotics are still 2 XP, but I can never find narcoberries quickly enough to make it a viable method.

edit - Any options if you can't build trike saddles yet? Is the para a decent interim harvester, or should I stick with picking berries by hand?

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 24, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

Since it seems the XP from notes has been reduced(as well as a few other recipes) what are some recommended goods to powerlevel through crafting? Narcotics are still 2 XP, but I can never find narcoberries quickly enough to make it a viable method.

edit - Any experience with the stone tier constructions yet? Are they dino proof?

Grab a Trike or a Stego and go nuts on the bushes. You'll have hundreds of narko berries in very short order. Before you head out to collect just put a ton of meat into stacks of 1 and you can level quite fast.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

The Insect Court posted:

edit - Any experience with the stone tier constructions yet? Are they dino proof?

Take a stego into a place with lots of bushes, usually where there's lots of bamboo and go to town. Pop the narcos in your inventory and Drop All to clear the steg, repeat and come home with 1k berries in a few minutes. Just don't forget to put it's food back in after.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

The Insect Court posted:

edit - Any options if you can't build trike saddles yet? Is the para a decent interim harvester, or should I stick with picking berries by hand?

Hand picking. Just make a trike/stego priority.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

duck monster posted:

Folks having trouble logging on to full servers, you can use steam to queue your way in. Just go to the page in steam for ark, in the top menu click View, then Servers, go to favorites (assuming you've favorited your server you use) then click connect. When it says full , click autojoin then the bottom checkbox and go and get a coffee. Chances are when you return, you'll be in game.

:getin:

This.. I have been using steam for over 10 years and I did not know this...... ..........

But alas I cannot get in game. After 5 minutes of loading and a brief bit of music when you wake up I'm booted to the main menu. C'est la vie.

NuckmasterJ fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 24, 2015

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

The auto-queue is useless for a game this popular. You're better off trying to join manually.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
The pain and suffering brought on by farming materials to build 2 auto-turrets, a power grid and 200 rounds of ammo has finally paid off. I was feeding all my dinos like normal and was startled by the sound of the auto-turrets giving their 2 second warning, followed by about a dozen gunshots. Some random pubbie flew over me on a low level Pteradon and both were quickly dispatched. Worth every hour of grinding.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Efexeye posted:

The auto-queue is useless for a game this popular. You're better off trying to join manually.

I'm going to auto-queue a half hour before I leave work. Chrome remote desktop is great.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Prophecy120 posted:

The pain and suffering brought on by farming materials to build 2 auto-turrets, a power grid and 200 rounds of ammo has finally paid off. I was feeding all my dinos like normal and was startled by the sound of the auto-turrets giving their 2 second warning, followed by about a dozen gunshots. Some random pubbie flew over me on a low level Pteradon and both were quickly dispatched. Worth every hour of grinding.

I won't be happy unless gooncave has a half dozen of these covering our main entry points.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Efexeye posted:

Nope. Its always worked great for me. Always in within 10 minutes. I'm gunna assume the server code is aware of it, and honors the request from steams poo poo when it gets it.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Also I just got raided. Forunately they missed my little secret panic room, and I think I know who it is. These cunts don't know what griefing is until they've met a goon,

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

There have been numerous occasions where I try the autoqueue for half an hour with no results, and then I'm in game within 5 minutes after trying to join manually (always official server 22). YMMV, I suppose.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Efexeye posted:

There have been numerous occasions where I try the autoqueue for half an hour with no results, and then I'm in game within 5 minutes after trying to join manually (always official server 22). YMMV, I suppose.

:shrug:

Your mileage may vary.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I built a little goon hut on 82 near the official commune and logged off inside. I'm going to see if A)I'm still there after work and B) if logging out not inside the cave will keep the login bug from happening.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

Carecat posted:

The official patch notes say "- Raised Max Tamed Dino Level Additions to 38" in 174, so it shouldn't be 40 levels on tame dinos. If you suggest using a scorpion they are also going to need to know to tame one with a very low taming efficiency to decrease the melee damage and that they are going to have to kite/tank heavily due to the slow torpor over time of the venom. Depending on the victims level that can take minutes and you can't be certain of how many hits you're going to need to KO them.

Using a bird to carry tranq bow wielding players is going to be a better technique for taking big scary critters unless you really want to min/max your taming effectiveness.

I'll add in that scorps can kill dinos before knocking them out. While the patch notes don't say 40 levels, thats an oversight on their part. We found out ingame with multiple dinos that we could gain 40 levels. I had a sabertooth that tamed at level 16 go all the way to 56.

We have tested bird carrying people wielding bows, but the problem is any arrows they fire hit the bird. This include aiming straight down.

The best strategy I've found so far is to either have two people, one kiting and other firing tranqs, or stand on top of a trex set to passive. Because only spinos will aggro a trex, everything else will try to attack you and do nothing if they can't reach you. Larger dinos probably can but haven't tested.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

89 posted:

This makes things much better. Now if only I could get rid of screen tearing...

Time to read up on the OP and check out videos so I know what to do past running around naked.

I'm not sure but I think most people are forcing adaptive vsync from the nvidia control panel or something. I don't use it personally, my card isn't powerful enough really.

Also, my observation has been that sky quality <25% basically turns off the truesky. You get like no clouds or anything cool. It's worth turning up a bit and I haven't noticed any major performance hit.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Is it daytime? I can't tell :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Carecat posted:

Is it daytime? I can't tell :iiam:

I'm really torn on this effect. Staring directly at the sun does produce a similar effect, but in reality I squint and raise a hand to block it out.

There are a host of other situations where the bloom seems to be overdone as well.