Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

GreatGreen posted:

I hope so. I haven't bought it yet and I don't want a disc copy.

lmbo

Konami help chat was nice enough to let me know that while they obligatory not sure why it was removed explanation that it would not be returning to playstation now. Since it's being sold on the psn store for PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Timby posted:

I think there's got to be at least one more game before we get to this point, because TPP seems to be about Big Boss becoming a crazed warlord and probably establishing Outer Heaven, and given that a Metal Gear remake has to have Big Boss employed by America as FOXHOUND's commander, I don't think they can pack all that in without the story becoming incredibly bloated / using some crazy time jumps.

That seems like something that could be easily tied into the story. I mean he's supposed to be a secret crazy warlord, so presumably there'll be a third party bad guy pulling some bad poo poo and Big Boss will be roped into working with the US government to stop them but will instead be secretly worming his way into the echelons of power again in order to enact bloody vengeance on those who destroyed his first base and would stop him from building Outer Heaven.

Hell, i bet the last scene is going to be him accepting the promotion to run a special fox unit for the government and the after credits vocal snippet will be discussing the cloning project.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

After the credits, there will be a stinger where Big Boss is waiting to be introduced to this really promising recruit for FOXHOUND. A young Green Beret with a bandanna and a cigarette runs up to BB and says "Kept you waiting, huh?"

Subtitle: SOLID SNAKE (Richard Doyle)

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

This reminds me - for some reason, I haven't been able to knock people out or break cameras with the magazines despite seeing video of others doing it. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

TheMaestroso posted:

This reminds me - for some reason, I haven't been able to knock people out or break cameras with the magazines despite seeing video of others doing it. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Have to do it while spotted in Reflex Mode and before setting off an alert.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

TheMaestroso posted:

I don't think you can disable cameras, but what Vic Boss said. You can only knock out guards with magazines if you hit them in the head during that brief moment before they call an alert. That means it DOES work without reflex, you just have to time your throws before they turn around, making it functionally useless.

What you might have seen is videos of people hacking the game up and changing the weapon values around. I believe Nakar made/shared a video of some super power magazines.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kiggles posted:

I don't think you can disable cameras, but what Vic Boss said. You can only knock out guards with magazines if you hit them in the head during that brief moment before they call an alert. That means it DOES work without reflex, you just have to time your throws before they turn around, making it functionally useless.

What you might have seen is videos of people hacking the game up and changing the weapon values around. I believe Nakar made/shared a video of some super power magazines.

I saw someone running around throwing magazines in Reflex Mode and insta-KOing dudes and cameras months ago. As in, before a PC version that could be hacked was even officially announced.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Personally i'm looking forward to the end credits stinger in which major zero buries the hatchet, and offers snake a cushy position in american politics.

Metal gear solid V's arabic numeral finally fades in.

METAL GEAR SOLIDV5

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I hope there is a camera mechanic so that they can bring back the ghosts from the previous games that had cameras, just so that they can make the pun in the achievement title for getting all of em be "The Phantom Pain in the rear end".

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Funky Valentine posted:

After the credits, there will be a stinger where Big Boss is waiting to be introduced to this really promising recruit for FOXHOUND. A young Green Beret with a bandanna and a cigarette runs up to BB and says "Kept you waiting, huh?"

Subtitle: SOLID SNAKE (Richard Doyle)

Well Eli is probably a 12 year old Liquid and I don't think the US Army recruits at that age.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Bedshaped posted:

Well Eli is probably a 12 year old Liquid and I don't think the US Army recruits at that age.

Don't the clones age super fast though (which is why Snake is so old in 4 as compared to everyone else) so even though he is '12' it means he would be well within serving age? Or is he 12 at this time even with the faster aging.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

Don't the clones age super fast though (which is why Snake is so old in 4 as compared to everyone else) so even though he is '12' it means he would be well within serving age? Or is he 12 at this time even with the faster aging.

The aging speeds up as they get older as explained in MGS4 IIRC. They aged normally for a while.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Terminally Bored posted:

- the animation is top notch for the most part but they really should do something about landing. Snake doesn't even stop after jumping from any height, he literally hits the ground running. Looks funny.

On this, if you stand still after a drop, Snake has a whole deal with returning to whichever stance you're in, it's pretty cool. He's just also able to hit the ground running because he's Big Boss.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
There is a directional mic in the binoculars, some of the help chatter talks about it.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

Bedshaped posted:

According to the Metal Gear wiki, Solid Snake was "inducted into the Green Berets as a teen," and given the scope and scale of TPP, it's not hard to believe the story could last a couple of years.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ImpAtom posted:

The aging speeds up as they get older as explained in MGS4 IIRC. They aged normally for a while.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Snake wouldn't have been as surprised about being a clone if he let skip he was only 12 in his green beret days and people reacted accordingly.

That said, Snake's implied to be suffering advanced aging symptoms even in MGS1, since a couple people straight up say that he looks a lot rougher than his age would imply.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Vic Boss posted:

Have to do it while spotted in Reflex Mode and before setting off an alert.
You can actually do it outside of Reflex although I can't find the proof of it right now, but it's possible. Some guy posted a video of doing it, and it works for both guards and cameras (though throwing a mag at a camera otherwise will do nothing). The thing is, the timing is absurdly tight, so the odds of success are practically nil without Reflex Mode active.

Is there any reason to slow-crouchwalk the last 5m to a guard when you can just aim and crouchwalk up to him for an instant holdup? Holdups seem to be equally as silent as a CQC grab, and an enemy will count as having noticed you if you crouchwalk up to CQC range at full speed but not if you hold them up.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

mr. stefan posted:

That said, Snake's implied to be suffering advanced aging symptoms even in MGS1, since a couple people straight up say that he looks a lot rougher than his age would imply.

Pretty sure that's just commentary over the fact that he's been in retirement in Alaska after the stress of MG1 and MG2. Stress ages, and it plays more into the idea that he's full of PTSD type issues and the fact that he does his best to distance himself from the 'legend of Solid Snake' so to speak.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Yeah, I think in MGS1 Snake is referred to as haggardly and potentially out-of-practice thanks to the lonely years of drinking and slumming it in Alaska, not premature aging. It's only in MGS2 where it is specifically pointed out (by Liquid, in the Tanker) that he is aging poorly thanks to his genetics.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

On the topic of aging, was Solidus born earlier or aged faster or something? He seemed much older than Snake in MGS2 and Eva only mentioned giving birth to Snake and Liquid...I think. I kinda blew through 2-4 pretty quickly so I probably missed something.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Born later and aged faster.

Bonus Solidus since he's the best: Here's what Solidus was like in Liberia maybe. These are promo videos for Rising.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 8, 2015

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

In It For The Tank posted:

Born later and aged faster.

Bonus Solidus since he's the best: Here's what Solidus was like in Liberia maybe. These are promo videos for Rising.
I don't remember Solidus being so growly. He almost sounds like old Ocelot.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

moosecow333 posted:

They age faster, but there's no reason to think they develop faster. They're separate processes entirely--real clones with advanced aging take just as long to grow up as non-clones.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

Humerus posted:

On the topic of aging, was Solidus born earlier or aged faster or something? He seemed much older than Snake in MGS2 and Eva only mentioned giving birth to Snake and Liquid...I think. I kinda blew through 2-4 pretty quickly so I probably missed something.

Solidus refers to himself as a "well-balanced masterpiece," implying he had extra genefuckery done to him. I like to think that being president probably contributed to that. It is canon that Solid dies his hair; who knows he might be going grey in MGS2.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Solidus doesn't have gene fuckery done to him. He's a perfect/vanilla clone of Big Boss, as opposed to Liquid and Solid who had certain genetic traits expressed. But then he does have gene fuckery because he ages quickly.

It's best to not expect anything Kojima writes to make even the slightest bit of sense.

We do need a game where we play as Solidus, though. He is clearly the best Snake.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

K8.0 posted:

We do need a game where we play as Solidus, though. He is clearly the best Snake.

I'm sure you mean second best Snake, after Naked Snake, right? Right?!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The deepest piece of knowledge I have about Metal Gear Solid lore is that it's funny to say the name of the game the Japanese way.

Metadu Geedu Soridu

lmao those crazy Japs, what will they think of next.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 8, 2015

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

K8.0 posted:

Solidus doesn't have gene fuckery done to him. He's a perfect/vanilla clone of Big Boss, as opposed to Liquid and Solid who had certain genetic traits expressed. But then he does have gene fuckery because he ages quickly.

It's best to not expect anything Kojima writes to make even the slightest bit of sense.
They wanted a perfect clone of Big Boss, but they also wanted him to be President like, right now. I'm not sure how these two things work with each other, exactly, since a perfect clone wouldn't have rapid aging. poo poo, I don't even know why they needed him to be President at all if they already controlled everything important.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Nakar posted:

They wanted a perfect clone of Big Boss, but they also wanted him to be President like, right now. I'm not sure how these two things work with each other, exactly, since a perfect clone wouldn't have rapid aging. poo poo, I don't even know why they needed him to be President at all if they already controlled everything important.

Didn't they amend the Constitution to allow him to become President despite his young age?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

MoreMetalBrian posted:

Didn't they amend the Constitution to allow him to become President despite his young age?

Why would they have to do that when they could just falsify his records?

Nakar posted:

Same reason the Les Enfantes Terribles project existed? To have a figurehead for the Patriots. I also think it might be so that they could string the public along by letting them believe that a good president is in charge despite him being a puppet of the Patriots.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

ChaosArgate posted:

Same reason the Les Enfantes Terribles project existed? To have a figurehead for the Patriots. I also think it might be so that they could string the public along by letting them believe that a good president is in charge despite him being a puppet of the Patriots.
I'm just not clear on why the Patriots needed it, other than everyone involved's creepy lust for Big Boss. It also kind of didn't work out so hot since Solidus ended up biting them in the rear end (which they really should have seen coming after Big Boss himself). Or maybe that was all according to the plan. Or not. Ocelot and the AIs were involved so I have no idea which parts of the MGS2 through MGS4 story were actually supposed to happen.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
The Patriots are Cipher and Cipher are BB's enemy in TPP and The Patriots want a figurehead that is a clone of their enemy. :kojima:

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I'm sure you mean second best Snake, after Naked Snake, right? Right?!

If Naked Snake counts out as a Snake, then the best Snake is Raiden. :colbert:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If Naked Snake counts out as a Snake, then the best Snake is Raiden. :colbert:

Naked Snake. It's in the name. :colbert:

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Raiden was a Snake too. Once.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Raiden was a Snake too. Once.

Yes, but Raiden never went back to being called Snake after getting a new codename.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Kojima seriously dropped the ball in not making Raiden's codename Whitesnake.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

If only Kojima was as obsessed with western music as the JoJo guy.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Agnostalgia posted:

They age faster, but there's no reason to think they develop faster. They're separate processes entirely--real clones with advanced aging take just as long to grow up as non-clones.

While that is true, don't all of the Snakes have IQs of like, 190 or something ridiculous? I remember reading something in an old PlayStation magazine (the most legit of sources) that Solid Snake knew around 6 languages at a really early age and was basically a giant Mary Sue. Really, I just want to see (and throw empty magazines at) a young Solid Snake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Solid Snake has an IQ of 180.

lol forever

• Locked thread