Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Schurik posted:

Ok what the gently caress is up with the the Adra Dragon. I have a level 12 party that curbstomps everything on hard, and she just instakills everyone at the start of the fight. Is there any non cheese method to beating her?

Nope.

Mr.Citrus posted:

Found a crazy build synergy that will likely get nerfed. Fire godlike barbarian with hold the line and one stands alone.

The fire godlike below 50% endurance racial does like a two damage aoe in melee range, but when one stands alone is active it adds 20 to that damage.

I've been wondering what a Darcozzi Firelike Paladin with a Retaliate shield would be like, though probably not enough to suffer through playing the game as a Paladin. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Firstborn posted:

Why would they include a tangible benefit for you to kill the backer NPCs?
If you read some of the stories the godawful backers wrote for their NPCs, you wouldn't be wondering that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Firstborn posted:

Roleplaying.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

How did you beat her?

kapsas
May 18, 2009
Just finished the game some questions about the story.

So what are the gods in this world? Iovara insisted that they dont exist but who was I talking to in Star Council then? Did the Engwithians commit mass suicide after they somehow created the "gods"? And Thaos was left behind to ensure their religions success?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Schurik posted:

How did you beat her?

I actually just did the quest to free her after beating my head against her a few times. The general strategies people recommend are:

-Kill all of the adds out of her line of sight (e.g. she's in the fog of war). She won't aggro as long as you can't see her, which lets you take them out before aggroing her. This applies to every strategy below.
-Pre-place high-level Petrification/Sunlance traps and then have one particularly tanky person use a ranged weapon to pull her over the traps.
-Put together the most massively defensive Paladin you can, and then have a Cipher backline all using guns use Borrowed Instinct and plink away at her.
-Debuff her (somehow) and land a Gaze of the Adragan, and then have people just unload while she's Petrified.

It's not a well-designed fight, but its absurdity is sort of necessary given what level 12 players can pull out. Gaze of the Adragan in and of itself is powerful enough to win basically every fight in the game.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'm getting really iffy on Path of the Damned. It doesn't seem to introduce anything interesting, it just gives everything such gently caress-me-high defenses that my fights consist of dropping Eder in a door while I spend 10 minutes grazing everything to death.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Vermain posted:

I actually just did the quest to free her after beating my head against her a few times. The general strategies people recommend are:

-Kill all of the adds out of her line of sight (e.g. she's in the fog of war). She won't aggro as long as you can't see her, which lets you take them out before aggroing her. This applies to every strategy below.
-Pre-place high-level Petrification/Sunlance traps and then have one particularly tanky person use a ranged weapon to pull her over the traps.
-Put together the most massively defensive Paladin you can, and then have a Cipher backline all using guns use Borrowed Instinct and plink away at her.
-Debuff her (somehow) and land a Gaze of the Adragan, and then have people just unload while she's Petrified.

It's not a well-designed fight, but its absurdity is sort of necessary given what level 12 players can pull out. Gaze of the Adragan in and of itself is powerful enough to win basically every fight in the game.

You can also talk to her, and promise to help her. Then just walk around cleaning out her adds, setting up all the traps you want/buffs you need, and position your party correctly before engaging her.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mr.Citrus posted:

Found a crazy build synergy that will likely get nerfed. Fire godlike barbarian with hold the line and one stands alone.

The fire godlike below 50% endurance racial does like a two damage aoe in melee range, but when one stands alone is active it adds 20 to that damage.

Yeah I am doing this right now, I don't have those talents yet but even at low levels it's pretty ridiculous.

One Stands Alone is probably supposed to be +20% damage, not +20

Vermain posted:

I've been wondering what a Darcozzi Firelike Paladin with a Retaliate shield would be like, though probably not enough to suffer through playing the game as a Paladin. v:shobon:v

Firelike Barbarian, Max Int with Retaliate armor and Carnaging everything. :getin:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Mr.Citrus posted:

Gonna test this for my PotD character. Cheers!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Can anyone do a short, spoilered list of which locations I need to bring NPCs to to advance their quests? Would be much appreciated, I'm trying to get the most out of my first playthrough so I can either solo or run with a full custom party for the next one.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Vermain posted:

Thanks. Kinda reminds me of bashing my head againt Firkraag with a lovely party when I was 12.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What stats / build?

Can't look it up where I am currently, but I believe I started with something like 18 Resolve, 16 Perception and the rest into Might which was either 13 or 14. Kind Wayfarer, but I don't think that was a big deal. Used Readric's Greatsword, which I kept enchanted to par.

I struck a balance between defensive and offensive talents, keeping to my goal of making her an off-tank. She took the DR aura while Pallegina used the accuracy one. Once you get a few points in your order's favored Reputations, Faith and Conviction can provide some crazy bonuses. In the end, between gear and inn rooms my might was still pretty high.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Firstborn posted:

There was tangible benefit for murdering random neutrals in BG1 too. What does it matter? +2 athletics and +1 dex is nice but nothing game changing.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Has anyone tried dual-wielding Torches?

Hear me out- while they do low base damage, they do come with 10% Fire damage, which does not count towards the Enchantment total, and they also do Crush damage, which a lot of critters don't resist IIRC. I'm thinking that Exceptional Torches with Kithslaying and all that good poo poo might turn out to be pretty good- what do you guys think?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

kapsas posted:

Just finished the game some questions about the story.

So what are the gods in this world? Iovara insisted that they dont exist but who was I talking to in Star Council then? Did the Engwithians commit mass suicide after they somehow created the "gods"? And Thaos was left behind to ensure their religions success?

You misunderstood Iovaras point. As she says, the power of the gods is undeniable but the truth of the story they weave is not. The gods are 'real' but they are not personifications of timeless aspects of existence as they present themselves. They are man made constructs of animancy, immensely powerful but constructs none the same. They are essentially self aware magical Artificial Intelligences.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Has anyone tried dual-wielding Torches?

Hear me out- while they do low base damage, they do come with 10% Fire damage, which does not count towards the Enchantment total, and they also do Crush damage, which a lot of critters don't resist IIRC. I'm thinking that Exceptional Torches with Kithslaying and all that good poo poo might turn out to be pretty good- what do you guys think?

Someone on this thread had done testing and saw that all additional damage was checked against 25% of the relevant DR so any damage less than 25% reduced more heavily. You're also missing the secondary benefits of the weapons like increased accuracy or dual typing, which someone did the math on and found was surprisingly effective compared to things like DR reduction.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Schurik posted:

How did you beat her?

How to kill it:

You need, scrolls of resurrection, potions of power, potions of eldritch aim, a tank, a wizard and whoever can put out as much ranged damage as possible. You want to avoid melee so the dragon doesn't turn around and gib your entire party.

First talk to it and convince it not to kill you. Next get your party into the area to the northeast of the dragon and kill the adragans out of the dragon's sight. Note that this will keep you in combat because of the dragon's fear aura. Try to kill the xaruips as well because they'll heal the dragon. Now with all of the adds dead split the party into two groups tank, and damage. Have the tank run to one side and the party go the opposite side. Have party members use potion of power and eldritch aim. Wizards should try to land gaze of the adragan, ciphers use disintegrate and mind spear, and everyone else does whatever causes raw damage. Sometimes you'll get a bullshit breath or random AoE death attack but, other than that the above should result in dead dragon on hard difficulty. I haven't tried this for potd yet.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Yeah I am doing this right now, I don't have those talents yet but even at low levels it's pretty ridiculous.

One Stands Alone is probably supposed to be +20% damage, not +20

Firelike Barbarian, Max Int with Retaliate armor and Carnaging everything. :getin:

I've not played a Barb myself but a part of me would rather not see this nerfed. It feels fair in the context of how much danger a Barbarian needs to put themselves in to shine.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I had a thought about the expedition parties in this game. Aren't they literal murder hobos sneaking into abandoned buildings behind the back of their security guards in order to steal all the copper soul conducting wire?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Captain Oblivious posted:

There was tangible benefit for murdering random neutrals in BG1 too. What does it matter? +2 athletics and +1 dex is nice but nothing game changing.

I would say that's easily one of the best helmets in the game considering the lack of good magical ones.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
What is the best ranged weapon for ciphers? From what i understand they get focus every time they hit an enemy, so i would assume bows.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Oasx posted:

What is the best ranged weapon for ciphers? From what i understand they get focus every time they hit an enemy, so i would assume bows.
Blunderbusses.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Oasx posted:

Generally the blunderbuss, but take both biting and draining whip, biting first for more damage.

Reason why is blunderbuss hits six times, all at once.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 6, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I've not played a Barb myself but a part of me would rather not see this nerfed. It feels fair in the context of how much danger a Barbarian needs to put themselves in to shine.

PSA: Vulnerable Attack modal works with Battle-Forged. :black101:

I might restart though, I grabbed Frenzy at creation and I think the yell would have been a better choice. Not as much of an offensive buff but it's effectively +20 Deflection (-10 Acc on targets and it doesn't have the -10 Deflection Frenzy does).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Taear posted:

I would say that's easily one of the best helmets in the game considering the lack of good magical ones.

That's not really saying much when an Athletics score higher than 4 is inconsequential and +1 dexterity amounts to next to nothing.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

That's not really saying much when an Athletics score higher than 4 is inconsequential and +1 dexterity amounts to next to nothing.

I've got 18 dex, another 1 or two would be nice!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Can somebody post the cloaca dialogue picture? I need it for something...Can't find it it in this giant thread.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Khizan posted:

I'm getting really iffy on Path of the Damned. It doesn't seem to introduce anything interesting, it just gives everything such gently caress-me-high defenses that my fights consist of dropping Eder in a door while I spend 10 minutes grazing everything to death.

I'm feeling the same way. I also don't enjoy the enemies with higher than normal accuracy that CC with every attack.

PotD is for cheesing your way through, hard is much more enjoyable.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm feeling the same way. I also don't enjoy the enemies with higher than normal accuracy that CC with every attack.

PotD is for cheesing your way through, hard is much more enjoyable.

Hard is for getting everything out of the game (party member dialogue/quests, etc etc).

PotD is for making an IWD-style min-maxed party for the challenge IMO.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Well this is a little weird. I have no active effects or anything but there is a giant beam of fire in front of my PC.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Taear posted:

I've got 18 dex, another 1 or two would be nice!

It would be nice, but that's all it would be which is my point. Attribute bonuses from items don't stack and there are better dexterity items in the game. There is a ring that gives +3 and a buyable belt that gives +2. You aren't missing out on much by not killing the dude.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

What npc drops that hat anyway?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
drat you, triple crown bear cave! gently caress you, mama bear for critting multiple times on my paladin and on Eder, even though their defenses were fantastic. Also, gently caress you Aloth, for not doing the 1 hp of damage that bear had to have left.

:argh:

E:this was while the bear was dazed and blind, mind you.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 6, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Well this is a little weird. I have no active effects or anything but there is a giant beam of fire in front of my PC.

You may need to go to the clinic for that one.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Maybe you shouldn't have gone to the Salty Mast.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

This happened to me when I looted the magic estoc off one of the early bounties. save/reload fixed it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bogarts posted:

This happened to me when I looted the magic estoc off one of the early bounties. save/reload fixed it.

Equipping and unequipping the sword also fixes it.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Equipping and unequipping the sword also fixes it.

That's what she said...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It would be nice, but that's all it would be which is my point. Attribute bonuses from items don't stack and there are better dexterity items in the game. There is a ring that gives +3 and a buyable belt that gives +2. You aren't missing out on much by not killing the dude.

I'm not saying I'm missing stuff, I'm saying that's one of the best items in a headslot in the game. Not saying it's especially a good item, just headslot stuff is generally poo and it seems weird to find it on a backer.

• Locked thread