Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
On the cold hands front, I just picked up a pair of Rukka Lobster Gloves for cheap. They are pretty amazing. We rode for about 40 minutes, temp at about 30F, at about 70mph on average, and I only started to feel the cold (not even get cold, just notice it through the gloves) at the end of the ride. Yes, they're big and bulky, but wow what a difference it makes. We rode about 2 hours total (doing errands and such) and my hands never got really cold.

They're selling them on RevZilla, but they don't have many sizes left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Lynza posted:

On the cold hands front, I just picked up a pair of Rukka Lobster Gloves for cheap. They are pretty amazing. We rode for about 40 minutes, temp at about 30F, at about 70mph on average, and I only started to feel the cold (not even get cold, just notice it through the gloves) at the end of the ride. Yes, they're big and bulky, but wow what a difference it makes. We rode about 2 hours total (doing errands and such) and my hands never got really cold.

They're selling them on RevZilla, but they don't have many sizes left.

Thanks Lynza for the trip report, I guess I'll get a pair of them too. 2 hours at 30F 70+mph and not hypothermic is pretty much exactly what I need

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Can anyone recommend a universal (I've got a Galaxy S4) handlebar mount that they like, that would also work on a bicycle? I was about to buy a cheapo whatever one for my road bike on eBay, realized I'd be happier spending more money to get something decent that I can use on either one, that won't fall apart and drop my phone onto the asphalt.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
A RAM mount is what you need.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Seconding a RAM mount. A buddy and I use one on our dualsports. even in the dirt it holds our brickphones in place.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Ram mount + xgrip setup. Works v nicely.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Pretty decent price.

http://weraclassifieds.com/ads/arai-corsaiir-5-doohan-replica/#axzz3JMevdwZA
Good price here, may pick it up. :v:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Anyone know anything about these helmets? Cyclegear is having a sale on them and they look kinda cool:

http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Techno-Bluetooth-Modular-Motorcycle-Helmet

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Don't do it man. Being able to answer the phone while riding is lame af

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Plus Bilt is king poo poo of the shittiest quality cheapo gear

e. DOT rated only, too

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Can anyone recommend a universal (I've got a Galaxy S4) handlebar mount that they like, that would also work on a bicycle? I was about to buy a cheapo whatever one for my road bike on eBay, realized I'd be happier spending more money to get something decent that I can use on either one, that won't fall apart and drop my phone onto the asphalt.

RAM mounts are pretty good but way expensive for what they are, IMO. The Givi S950 works really well, is waterproof and has cable routing too. The only drawback is they're a little on the small side - most mid-sized phones (iphones etc) will fit okay but if you've got one of the larger ones it may not fir comfortably or at all.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Unless the exchange rate has flipped, the mount you posted is more expensive.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

nitrogen posted:

Anyone know anything about these helmets? Cyclegear is having a sale on them and they look kinda cool:

http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Techno-Bluetooth-Modular-Motorcycle-Helmet

Save the money and get a good helmet and a third party BT system. The BT will last longer and be higher quality (not to mention you can move it from helmet to helmet).
I hate the Techno BT modular. The pull/switch/whatever for the jaw breaks, and is probably the most common reason we see for warranty replacement next to one of the speakers going out.

E: It fits like poo poo and the visor mount is the same spot as the jaw mount. It also uses a flathead screwdriver. The gently caress where they thinking with that design?

The Techno Full Face is actually a better helmet (the only thing that's the same between them is the BT system) and is literally the exact same helmet as the S&S SS1300 plus the BT.
http://www.ssgear.com/Catalog/item.cfm?ItemsID=64ed6745-b9c0-4432-a3d9-932bd87ce868

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 18, 2014

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

Unless the exchange rate has flipped, the mount you posted is more expensive.

Last time I looked a ram mount and a phone cradle came to about 50 quid. The mount itself (clamp and arm) cost more than that Givi holder. Maybe they're much cheaper in the States?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Depending on the bits you get they're like 45-55 USD for everything, so not far off 35 quid, looking up the exchange rate. The rateg was less than I was expecting.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Bonus of the Ram mount is that you can get a second base and just swap the rest of it from bike to bike or bicycle or whatever. I bought from Mounting Innovations and it's a bit cheaper than from RAM I think. How is that quick release on the Givi? It looks alright but a S4 might be a tight fit.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

DrakIris posted:

Ended up getting some Fieldsheer stuff and TCX boots, I know TCX is a well respected brand bout how about fieldsheer?

My first mesh jacket and mesh gloves were fieldsheer, got them a little over 7 years ago.

Glove stitching failed in the fingers about 2 years ago, rendering them completely useless.

Jacket's still going, but some stitching is pulling loose. It survived one low speed crash that is unrelated to the failing stitching.

It's inexpensive and you're getting what you pay for.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
We've started getting new gear in to replace the old poo poo.
Sedici (not Bilt but still not that great) is releasing adventure gear that looks suspiciously like the Firstgear Kathmandu. No surprises, considering they're made in the same factories.

Street & Steel has moved on from the Sons of Anarchy phase and is moving into hipster town. Lots of brown and faded leather. They even have a jacket named "The Scrambler". :sigh:

And what's that? You want an offroad helmet with bluetooth built in?! OF COURSE YOU DO!!!

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Pope Mobile posted:

We've started getting new gear in to replace the old poo poo.
Sedici (not Bilt but still not that great) is releasing adventure gear that looks suspiciously like the Firstgear Kathmandu. No surprises, considering they're made in the same factories.

Street & Steel has moved on from the Sons of Anarchy phase and is moving into hipster town. Lots of brown and faded leather. They even have a jacket named "The Scrambler". :sigh:

And what's that? You want an offroad helmet with bluetooth built in?! OF COURSE YOU DO!!!

Out of curiosity, how does the Bluetooth on those things compare to a Sena or something?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's meh quality wise. But they're actually very popular, and the fact that Bilt is covered by a five year warranty is a big sell for a lot of people. The only decent helmet the BT is attached to is the full face.
Get a Sena or Scala.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pope Mobile posted:

Before I adjusted my expectations I was briefly disappointed to learn that the only shades of brown leather armoured jackets available are shiny khaki and polished turd. I've got a pretty nice fur-necked bomber that's a normal non-embarrassing brown, vaguely annoying there's nothing like that with thicker grain and armour inserts. Oh well!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Looks like MotorcycleGear is blowing out their TCX S-Sportour Boots, anyone have experience with them or similar?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I've got the TCX X-Cube boots and I love them. Great fit, comfy, well-armored. Don't know about the Sportour specifically, though, sorry.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Thanks for the recs, gonna put a RAM mount on my Christmas list!

DrakIris posted:

Ended up getting some Fieldsheer stuff and TCX boots, I know TCX is a well respected brand bout how about fieldsheer?

My leather jacket is a Fieldsheer, it's held up through one low speed crash and then some (bought it used, came pre-scuffed). A couple of the ends of the zipper pulls have broken off, that's about the only knock I can give it. No idea how old it is, but I'd guess no less than five years and still going strong.

I doubt many other of their jackets are similar, but I was surprised to find an American company that cut a jacket the way they did mine; I'm tall/lanky and it fits perfectly in the arms (like an L/XL) and chest (basically an M). Gonna be a sad day when I retire it.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Looks like we've got some PODs that are going to be on sale for "a large amount off" during black friday.

Similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/FuseLED-Power-Demand-POD-X-3/dp/B00CM2D75Y
Same company, different color.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Thanks for the recs, gonna put a RAM mount on my Christmas list!

Another datapoint: I had the rammount out with my nexus 5 while playing ingress in the backcountry today. I had the bike (unfaired, un-winshielded) up to 80 and the phone stayed put perfectly.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Went first helmet shopping today looking to get a Caberg Duke or something like it, ended up going for an LS2 FF370 instead because of head shape reasons* (also it's half the price, which is nice :toot:).

Was kind of surprised to find out I'll be getting an S helmet but an L jacket, kit sizes are weird.

*read: cabergs are for people with chubby chops whereas my head is more like this

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
If I want to be the safest, should I buy the A* airbag system that's coming out in the spring?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

builds character posted:

If I want to be the safest, should I buy the A* airbag system that's coming out in the spring?

I have never even heard of this, and the goog didn't enlighten me...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Depends on a lot of factors. It's probably a good move up in terms of protection for many types of accidents, but you need to wear it in addition to your other gear, who knows how much of a pain in the rear end it's going to be, blah blah blah. It also needs to interact well with whatever other gear you have.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

nitrogen posted:

I have never even heard of this, and the goog didn't enlighten me...

http://www.alpinestars.com/tech-air
It's an airbag for your body. Pretty fast inflation time. Doesn't seem to cover your neck though. Needs to be recharged after 25h of use. I read somewhere that it's going to be $1,500 but I haven't been able to find that again so who knows.

Z3n posted:

Depends on a lot of factors. It's probably a good move up in terms of protection for many types of accidents, but you need to wear it in addition to your other gear, who knows how much of a pain in the rear end it's going to be, blah blah blah. It also needs to interact well with whatever other gear you have.

Seems like you need to buy one of their new jackets for it, but otherwise I'm not sure what gear it would interact poorly with. A neck brace maybe? Was thinking just their jacket + armor and pants + armor and a helmet and gloves. Nothing too fancy.

I see a lot of folks complaining about the charging but that doesn't seem so terrible to me. Just bring it in and plug it in with your phone overnight.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oh, I was under the impression it was a vest style system like hit air.

Then the concern is going to be...does the jacket fit you?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Z3n posted:

Oh, I was under the impression it was a vest style system like hit air.

Then the concern is going to be...does the jacket fit you?

It is, but they say it won't work with anything but their two new made-for-it jackets. I assume that's wrong too or at least that there will be other aftermarket jackets with which it works but I'm having a hard time finding reliable stuff out there that's not just press releases.

Edit: it needs a "compatible jacket" which are their new Valparaiso and viper models, but yeah I have to think that there will be a bunch of aftermarket options at some point in the not too distant future.

builds character fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 29, 2014

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I recently picked up a Shark Explore-R Carbon helmet, anticipating trying to do some dirt riding and get out in more inclement weather. My previous helmet history is a Scorpion EXO-700, and a Shoei RF-1100. I don't do much pimping on my helmets except I always tend to get a mirrored face shield.

The Shark is by far the most bang for the buck in a helmet I've purchased. The fit's very similar to the Shoei, except I'd say the chinbar sits closer to my mouth, and the cheek pads are less aggressive in crushing my face. Weight feels comparable, and the overall headshape of intermediate oval is pretty similar. It's slightly noisier, but only incrementally so.

The flip down sun visor was the feature that got me seriously looking the Shark's way, and it's very good. I haven't owned a sun visor lid before, but the operation mechanism on this one is very convenient to use while riding and wearing thickly insulated gloves. Helmet seems to breath well.

It comes with a pair of goggles that mount to the helmet with a quick release mechanism, and a removable peak. The peak and the face shield are mutually exclusive, but I don't consider that to be a huge limitation. Also it's got a little dicky that drops from the chin bar to wrap around your neck and tuck under your jacket. It's purportedly waterproof and does a good job of sealing you into your own microclimate.

It fogs up more eagerly than my other helmets when stopped but seems to flow enough air, even with vents closed, to do a good job of staying clear while moving. The sun visor is particularly prone to fogging. Getting a good seal against the gasket for the face shield is a little fiddly and far less reliable than on my Shoei. Overall it's a pretty excellent helmet and if you're thinking about ever doing any significant amount of dirt riding, I'd give it a serious look. I wouldn't say it has the best quality of any helmet I've tried, but it's better than many, and is the best value.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

It is, but they say it won't work with anything but their two new made-for-it jackets. I assume that's wrong too or at least that there will be other aftermarket jackets with which it works but I'm having a hard time finding reliable stuff out there that's not just press releases.

Edit: it needs a "compatible jacket" which are their new Valparaiso and viper models, but yeah I have to think that there will be a bunch of aftermarket options at some point in the not too distant future.

Compatible presumably means some sort of stress-relief in the seams because otherwise when the airbags go off they're going to try and squeeze your internal organs out of whichever orifice is nearest.

(This is assuming this is for the chest and back-protecting airbag system, not the older one that just (attempts to) protect your coccyx and a couple of cervical vertebra)

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
The electronics are also integrated. The brief information I've found indicates that the front zipper is the arming mechanism for the device.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

*zips up jacket* DEVICE ARMED.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

*zips up jacket* DEVICE ARMED.

Look, I would be lying if I told you that the fact that it has LEDs on the sleeves that turn on when it's working isn't a selling point because I'm a child who wants to yell PEW PEW PEW and have as many lasers as possible on everything.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Compatible presumably means some sort of stress-relief in the seams because otherwise when the airbags go off they're going to try and squeeze your internal organs out of whichever orifice is nearest.

(This is assuming this is for the chest and back-protecting airbag system, not the older one that just (attempts to) protect your coccyx and a couple of cervical vertebra)

Yeah, it's for the chest and back one. I looked at it and there are some that attach to your bike so turn on when you fall off and those seem great if you're worried about high siding and hitting the ground and not so great if you're worried about hitting anything else (or anything else hitting you).

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
High-five, fellow child.

The more lights, the better.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

I know Bilt gets a lot of crap in these threads, but I have one of their vented jackets, and it's not horrible.

I have the Bilt Air Demon jacket, and it isn't too bad considering what I paid for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Lynza posted:

High-five, fellow child.

The more lights, the better.

PS your helmet is rad

I was curious about how such a thing would go down in the UK, and unsurprisingly after looking it up I found there are no explicit regs on the subject of lit clothing (although for vehicle lights every colour is reserved for something or other except for purple, and that would get me pulled over by the fashion police).

As a result I'm planning out how to get two colours on there at once: blue/green for better visibility, and amber so I can switch over/make excuses if a plod takes offence.