Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ropnolc
Mar 7, 2013

FinalGamer posted:

FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE WHO AGREES WITH ME :hfive:

Because seriously, levelling up, whut is that? And I can't loving handle Firion in Dissidia at all.

At least later remakes of FFII were made to be less irritating in the grinding department.
My main gripe with FFII was the Inn, because of how crippling it was with the whole "The less HP and MP you have, the more you pay!" mechanic.
If you were in desperate need of having your party fully healed you'd either be flat broke after resting at an inn or you wouldn't be able to afford it at all. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

Yeah, as the above poster mentioned, Kohlingen is actually optional even though the plot directs you there (I think somebody recommends starting there to look for Terra or something). And even then you need Locke along to trigger the cutscene. I forget sometimes that people play games differently than I do.

Pretty sure you also need to go to Rachel's house and the old guy's house to get the full story on what happened, even if you go to Kohlingen and bring Locke.

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

VagueRant posted:

For the sake of being on topic: is Elentor okay? :ohdear:

IIRC he said he was going to be very busy irl for a while.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
FF2 was remade pretty well on PSX, and I actually got really far into it. What made me stop playing was when I got the airship and realized there were no side quests and no end-game exploration. The airship was literally just how you got to the final dungeon.

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats
You could totally skip Kohilingen. You get directed there to maybe recruit Shadow if you're a dumbshit happened to have a space open in your party, and to talk to a single NPC who says something along the lines of "yo some crazy bioluminescent woman just blazed the gently caress over the village going that-a-way", to which you gather that your next destination is that way. I believe the next place is Jidoor. Which is also optional I believe. I really really really like FF6 and know a lot about it. I had the game mechanics guide memorized when I was younger. Also would read through that one really detailed walkthrough of it for fun.

Also, don't rag on Locke :( The dude fell absolutely in love with someone and lost them, I'd cling on to any hope I possibly could, and possibly go off the deep end a little bit.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

That Irish Guy posted:

Also, don't rag on Locke :( The dude fell absolutely in love with someone and lost them, I'd cling on to any hope I possibly could, and possibly go off the deep end a little bit.

Locke is the proto-Cloud. He's nutso, but he has a good reason for being nutso. It's a shame more games don't pick up on details like that.

Pineapple Salad
Apr 4, 2012

What a neverending story, Mark!

That Irish Guy posted:

Not only that, but wasn't it that crazy old man who was keeping her alive, rather than Locke? She was basically on life support, and he had no control over the switch. Having your lover technically be alive but not have the ability to communicate or anything else would make it that much harder to move on, because it gives the illusion that maybe, just maybe, she can be saved. If she had simply died and was buried, I doubt he would searched so long for a way to resurrect her.

Pineapple Salad fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 8, 2013

George
Nov 27, 2004

I want to talk about Locke and Celes in relation to FFVII, but we still need more plot for that. Remember to tread carefully.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Pineapple Salad posted:

Not only that, but wasn't it that crazy old man who was keeping her alive, rather than Locke? She was basically on life support, and he had no control over the switch. Having your lover technically be alive but not have the ability to communicate or anything else would make it that much harder to move on, because it gives the illusion that maybe, just maybe, she can be saved. If she had simply died and was buried, I doubt he would searched so long for a way to resurrect her.

And on top of that, if I remember correctly, it was his fault that she wound up in a coma in the first place. It's still definitely not a healthy reaction in the slightest, but pulling the plug on life support is something that just about everyone struggles to do.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pineapple Salad posted:

Actually, that's more like spoilers from Final Fantasy VII, than Cloud.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

BioMe posted:

A lot of things work better when you try to write every character like they should be able to carry a story by themselves, rather than as things.

Can we just go back to this for a minute? I think this is the crux of all of the series's horrible writing - the most interesting points of FF7 are when the party is actual people, trying to live in the hosed up world they've helped create. When they get distilled into cliches and archetypes, the plot gets noticeably weaker - for example, any time they have to write for all the characters at once.

FF6 was kind of the same way, and FF9 really perfected the idea, but after that, the series forgot that the characters make the story, not the other way around.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

George posted:

FF2 was remade pretty well on PSX, and I actually got really far into it. What made me stop playing was when I got the airship and realized there were no side quests and no end-game exploration. The airship was literally just how you got to the final dungeon.

So you played through the entire game and then decided to quit at the very end because a game designed for an 8-bit system didn't have any "side quests [or] end-game exploration?"

Well now... :goonsay:

George
Nov 27, 2004

zenintrude posted:

So you played through the entire game and then decided to quit at the very end because a game designed for an 8-bit system didn't have any "side quests [or] end-game exploration?"

Well now... :goonsay:

Yeah, I really like exploring world maps and poo poo in a JRPG. Playing through most of the game was a bunch of on-rails exploration, and I got super excited to find all kinds of stuff in my new airship and then realized I was done exploring. It kind of took the wind out of my sails.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Dunno how being a NES game excuses ff2 when the prequel had tons of exploration and hidden stuff

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Because most of the exploration was still required to beat the game? FF2 at least has a plot that usually spells out pretty clearly where you're supposed to go next.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Regalingualius posted:

Because most of the exploration was still required to beat the game? FF2 at least has a plot that usually spells out pretty clearly where you're supposed to go next.

Nah, there was tons of secret stuff in FF1, but to beat FF2 it only had to be nonzero.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

alcharagia posted:

FF8 had the romance of the player and Triple Triad, which was a much healthier love story than any of the other ones offered by the series.

Am I the only one who liked FF9's card game more than FF8's?

George
Nov 27, 2004

Golbez posted:

No, but I'll never understand.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

George posted:

No, but I'll never understand.

I hate Tetra Master a little less every time I play through IX, but it'll never beat Triple Triad

perpetulance
Mar 24, 2013

THUNDERDOME LOSER

morallyobjected posted:

I hate Tetra Master a little less every time I play through IX, but it'll never beat Triple Triad

True, but the real contest is between Triple Triad and Chocobo Hot and Cold. Boco never made me play Random Same Wall Plus Elemental games of H&C.

perpetulance fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 9, 2013

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Golbez posted:

I can't stand Triple Triad, but I enjoy Tetra Master. It might be that I loathe FF8 in general, but I think it's more that I can't stand dealing with all the nonsense surrounding the actual card game (the rules and such), whereas Tetra Master might be a bit more complicated, but when you play a game of Tetra Master, the rules are always the same without any kind of busywork necessary to keep them that way.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

perpetulance posted:

True, but the real contest is between Triple Triad and Chocobo Hot and Cold. Boco never made me play Random Same Wall Plus Elemental games of H&C.

Triple Triad never went 40 rounds without giving me the very last Chocograph available at the time. I love Chocobo Hot and Cold. I do it religiously every single playthrough, but that RNG is a bitch sometimes.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I wonder if anyone still plays the multiplayer Tetra Master game that was with XI.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I wonder if anyone still plays the multiplayer Tetra Master game that was with XI.

They shut that down about three years ago.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Shaezerus posted:

They shut that down about three years ago.

Was it due to lack of interest or something else? I haven't played XI in about 5 years, but I remember thinking how odd it having to pay an extra dollar/euro a month for a card game. I never tried it out, was there any decent rewards for winning?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Good LP. Not fully caught up with it yet but I've played through the game numerous times. Gotta say that the excellent commentary clarifies some points I've always wondered about.

Some points that need to be out there though:

Cid is the best character.
Sending a dream into the universe is the best song.

:colbert:

Can anyone recommend other good JRPGs from this era (PS1 & PS2)? I've played most FF's more than once and want to branch out a bit. Tried Grandia 1/2, Breath of Fire 3, Xenogears.

Was looking at Suikoden, is it any good for someone who likes FF 6-7-9?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Suikoden is really rad, but the best thing about it is that it sets up Suikoden 2 which is a goddamn masterpiece.

So yeah, it's good but the sequel is where it's at.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I really enjoyed Tales of the Abyss and Dragon Quest VIII, both for PS2.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Was it due to lack of interest or something else? I haven't played XI in about 5 years, but I remember thinking how odd it having to pay an extra dollar/euro a month for a card game. I never tried it out, was there any decent rewards for winning?

There was just no point because it was basically a completely different program. I maintain that if they had actually put that game -inside- FFXI, it would have done amazingly well.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

morallyobjected posted:

Triple Triad never went 40 rounds without giving me the very last Chocograph available at the time. I love Chocobo Hot and Cold. I do it religiously every single playthrough, but that RNG is a bitch sometimes.

FF8's RNG is even worse when it comes to rules.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Foxhound posted:

Can anyone recommend other good JRPGs from this era (PS1 & PS2)? I've played most FF's more than once and want to branch out a bit. Tried Grandia 1/2, Breath of Fire 3, Xenogears.

You might also do Tales of Symphonia or Abyss, Xenosaga 1-2-3, Legend of Mana, Persona 3 and 4, Radiata Stories, the original .hack series. Breath of Fire 4 is great is you liked 3. Something on that list will probably appeal to you!

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Foxhound posted:

Brave Fencer Musashi is a fun ride despite being more of an action game and an icon of Squaresoft voice acting. :shepface:

Jade Cocoon 1 and 2 are interesting takes on JRPGs. One is basically Pokemon meets Princess Mononoke, where you can create slights against nature to make the ultimate fighting monster through an impressively deep mechanic for a PS1 title. The sequel is a little more pokemon and a little less flexible with its gimmick, but it's simple and an easy way to sink some time, especially when you get into optimizing.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 10, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zeikier posted:

Brave Fencer Musashi is a fun ride despite being more of an action game and an icon of Squaresoft voice acting. :shepface:

What the--what's all this crap?

(just imagine the italics is red)

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

The White Dragon posted:

What the--what's all this crap?

(just imagine the italics is red)

(and a tweening dialogue window)

Looks like animal dung. Wonder if something's nearby.

The Fat Swordsman
Feb 13, 2012

Foxhound posted:

The Wild Arms series was generally competent, maybe even great. I'd say the first was the best of the series but it's probably just these rose-colored spectacles I'm wearing.

What happened to OFS and the low level playthough? Elentor just not gotten the main LP far enough for another update?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Fat Swordsman posted:

What happened to OFS and the low level playthough? Elentor just not gotten the main LP far enough for another update?

Yep. He'll have to hammer out 3 or 4 updates before I can get another one in, since the next thing I do is the next dungeon and my Chocobo shenanigans aren't until Disc 3.

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"

Foxhound posted:

Good LP. Not fully caught up with it yet but I've played through the game numerous times. Gotta say that the excellent commentary clarifies some points I've always wondered about.

Some points that need to be out there though:

Cid is the best character.
Sending a dream into the universe is the best song.

:colbert:

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2.
And Shadow Hearts 1,2 & 3.

These games are more dark than majority of JRPGS, particularly the MegaTen games, but they have been a favourite to play for me.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

MythLisp posted:

Shadow Hearts 3. These games are more dark than majority of JRPGS

Are you kidding me

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Hell, most Shadow Hearts fans I run into denounce the second game for 'betraying the horror roots' or some nonsense like that, and the third game is only sillier and less serious.

Now that said, anyone who's into the 6th, 7th, and 9th Final Fantasy games is probably there for characters first, and Shadow Hearts 2 in particular delivers very well there. While I like the first, these days I basically consider it just backstory to the second (SH3 is, aside from a moment here and there, a pure gameplay game).

The Persona series also has some good character work, but be warned they're dungeon crawlers first and character dramas second, so they'll be a lot grindier than the typical PS1 era game. Also Persona is a little more blatant about the anime influence and tends to use the tropes as a base then build from there, so if you have a strong negative reaction to those archetypes stay away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564591

• Locked thread