Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mossyfisk posted:

And just as importantly, he'd need to commission a lot of new art assets.

Considering the working title (Unity Asset Store: The Game), I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I hope that this means Ruined World and not the new IP that he has mentioned before. I'm really looking forward to RW and, while I don't resent him making a new title, I want Exile 3: Take 3 first.
Maybe it's semantics but when I hear "finally announce a new game", I think of that as announcing something new rather than E3, which he's openly talked about working on for months (years, really). Unless the announcement is "hey dudes, I'm dropping E3: The Remake's Remake next month" (or some similarly short term marketing push), just doesn't seem to fit.

New IP makes more sense, even if it's coming out after E3.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

MagusofStars posted:

Maybe it's semantics but when I hear "finally announce a new game", I think of that as announcing something new rather than E3, which he's openly talked about working on for months (years, really). Unless the announcement is "hey dudes, I'm dropping E3: The Remake's Remake next month" (or some similarly short term marketing push), just doesn't seem to fit.

New IP makes more sense, even if it's coming out after E3.

I hope that you are right. I am fine with him making another IP, though I will confess to preferring fantasy to Sci-fi, so long as Ruined World is next followed bya new IP of some description.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
You know, when I woke up to a dozen posts in this thread this morning, I thought something terrible had happened. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the announcement. I'm with those who are expecting the new game, but I'll be happy regardless.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

You know, when I woke up to a dozen posts in this thread this morning, I thought something terrible had happened.

If Avernum 3 isn't announced this is still the case.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Avernum 3 is announced. Coming January 31st.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/avernum-3-ruined-world-announced-coming-january-31.118223/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/691830/Avernum_3_Ruined_World/

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Avernum 3 is my favorite of the series (I'll always have a soft spot for Exile 1 through) but seriously: how many times can this dude remake the same games?

Like man I'm not buying it again. The series had such an open ending. Make a new sequel trilogy or a new IP or something.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Very glad that it's coming, not sure if I can wait 4.5 months.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

GreenNight posted:

Avernum 3 is announced. Coming January 31st
"This game doesn't look like other games you played in the past".

Motherfucker, I've completed Avernum 1-2 and Avadon 1-2-3. What more do you want from me?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Xander77 posted:

"This game doesn't look like other games you played in the past".

Motherfucker, I've completed Avernum 1-2 and Avadon 1-2-3. What more do you want from me?

I am noting the conspicuous absence of a lot of games there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

JustJeff88 posted:

Very glad that it's coming, not sure if I can wait 4.5 months.

Good god man, keep it in your pants.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Or don't. He's not the boss of you.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Good god man, keep it in your pants.

Shut up and go LP Crystal Souls; you have 141 days.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

JustJeff88 posted:

Shut up and go LP Crystal Souls; you have 141 days.

Gee, for some reason I don't feel like it any more.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

how many times can this dude remake the same games?

Looks like the answer is "twice"

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
:dance: Yeah! Perhaps by then I'll be clear of LP obligations!

Though I admit I'd hoped to hear of the new IP. Oddly, I don't see an official announcement on the site, forums, or Twitter. Oversight?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:dance: Yeah! Perhaps by then I'll be clear of LP obligations!

Though I admit I'd hoped to hear of the new IP. Oddly, I don't see an official announcement on the site, forums, or Twitter. Oversight?

I don't think there was ever going to be a new IP, it was just speculation from goons on what "new game" meant.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Arrhythmia posted:

I don't think there was ever going to be a new IP, it was just speculation from goons on what "new game" meant.

I'm pretty sure Vogel mentioned he's working on something new. I could be wrong!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I'm pretty sure Vogel mentioned he's working on something new. I could be wrong!

Yeah, but that's the next release before he starts alternating with the Geneforge remakes like he did with Avadon/Avernum.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Zore posted:

Yeah, but that's the next release before he starts alternating with the Geneforge remakes like he did with Avadon/Avernum.

Are Geneforge remakes confirmed? Because if so :fap:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Nethergate 2 Roman Boogaloo

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

And Tyler Too! posted:

Nethergate 2 Roman Boogaloo

I would actually very much enjoy another game set in that universe, although the original Nethergate(s) don't really need a proper sequel. I don't ever expect to see it because Jeff seems to have little interest in that IP/mythology any more, but I would like to. I'm not sure why the apathy, but he treats the original Nethergate like the weird stepchild that lives in the loft; it's the only Spiderweb game that isn't available anywhere, not even directly from SWS.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I would actually very much enjoy another game set in that universe, although the original Nethergate(s) don't really need a proper sequel. I don't ever expect to see it because Jeff seems to have little interest in that IP/mythology any more, but I would like to. I'm not sure why the apathy, but he treats the original Nethergate like the weird stepchild that lives in the loft; it's the only Spiderweb game that isn't available anywhere, not even directly from SWS.
Not sure why the original isn't available, but a sequel isn't happening. Can't remember where I saw it, but a few years ago, he discussed Nethergate: Resurrection and openly said that the remake didn't do too hot. It made a decent profit because remakes are pretty cheap for him, so it was fine...but the sales and reception of the game were lackluster enough that he didn't think it would ever make sense to go back to that universe.

Arrhythmia posted:

I don't think he's officially confirmed anything, but his pattern for years has been to alternate between remake and new game. So once Avernum 3: Remake is done in early 2018, he'll spend a year-plus on the first game of the as-yet-unannounced new IP (probable release date: mid to late 2019), then another remake.

And really, Geneforge is the only viable remake candidate he has. Blades of Avernum might seem like a natural succession to the Avernum 1-3 remakes, but given that the original Blades of Avernum almost killed the company, that's off the table.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Arrhythmia posted:

He said he was planning on it during an AMA on reddit, so that's word from god. Not sure how official an AMA is though. :shobon:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Yeah, while I enjoyed Nethergate's remake (never played the original), it never got the attention Avernum and Geneforge did. And there is never going to be a third Blades of _______ game because the last one...well, yeah.

I think it's gonna be Geneforge and New Game intermingled. I sorta remember Avernum 4, have very thin memories of 5 which I never beat, and never even played 6. 1-3 was for sure the "Main" trilogy, and I think it makes way more sense to cover Geneforge before going back to Avernum for a lot of reasons. I admit I am vaguely interested on how well the latter three Avernums sold compared to Geneforge.

...Also I just really want a remake of Geneforge 2, goddamn that game.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
After this I never want to play Geneforge 2 again. :buddy:

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, while I enjoyed Nethergate's remake (never played the original), it never got the attention Avernum and Geneforge did. And there is never going to be a third Blades of _______ game because the last one...well, yeah.

I think it's gonna be Geneforge and New Game intermingled. I sorta remember Avernum 4, have very thin memories of 5 which I never beat, and never even played 6. 1-3 was for sure the "Main" trilogy, and I think it makes way more sense to cover Geneforge before going back to Avernum for a lot of reasons. I admit I am vaguely interested on how well the latter three Avernums sold compared to Geneforge.

...Also I just really want a remake of Geneforge 2, goddamn that game.

Avernum 6 holds up pretty well still. It looks and plays very similarly to Avernum:EFTP but with the older skill system.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

He said he was planning on it during an AMA on reddit, so that's word from god. Not sure how official an AMA is though. :shobon:

https://twitter.com/spiderwebsoft/status/908084090229858305

(hella)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
:shepspends: I'm ready... to replay this series for the umpteenth time.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm going to do an all Anama run again for the billionth time. It never gets old.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Maybe I can actually try to get through Geneforge then. It's too archaic for me to really get into and I've played all 6 Avernums.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Archaic is a relative term.
Old Gold box series RPG's feel archaic to me (that standard font in all of them is unreadable), Wizardry 7 & 8 do not.
Grimoire looks archaic, and it's proposed followup will probably come out the same time Geneforge 5 remake is completed by Spiderweb.

If you do play the Geneforge series, dive into the player roles, do not pussyfoot around.
For the Agent role: Max out your quickness, abuse your spellcasting abilities, never stop Dazing enemies.
For the Guardian role: buffout, armor up, and murder everything in combat. Your single shaper summon will be handy.
For Shaper role: Treat your summons like bullets in a gun. Fire everything, retreat, reload, advance, fire everything, repeat until enemies are dead.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I started playing Exile 1 again and, while I miss the convenience features of 2 and 3, I'm having a lot of fun. However, I wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions for getting money in the early game. Between my six dudes and dudettes I have nearly 100 skill points saved up but am so hard up for cash that I can't afford to train them, and I am trying very hard not to use the editor. I had a stroke of luck when a suit of Iron Plate dropped during an encounter, and that sold for 2200 gold; I hope that I don't regret selling that because it's very good armour at this point in the game. Any ideas? My lead fighter hasn't spent a single skill point since the start of the game because I'm so broke.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
So all these different games and remakes confuse me. I used to play Exile Escape from the Pit back in the day and loving loved it, which ones should I buy on Steam now that are in that general vein?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Nuclear War posted:

So all these different games and remakes confuse me. I used to play Exile Escape from the Pit back in the day and loving loved it, which ones should I buy on Steam now that are in that general vein?

The Exile series is all named "Exile: Subtitle" (e.g. Exile: Escape from the Pit). They got remade into Avernum 1, 2, and 3, with no subtitle. Then there was a second trilogy of Avernum 4, 5, and 6. Then the first trilogy got remade again into "Avernum: Subtitle" (e.g. Avernum: Escape from the Pit). Currently only the first two of the re-remade trilogy are out, but the third will be coming out soonish. I'd say that these are what you want to be checking out.

There's also Geneforge and Avadon, neither of which have received any remakes.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Nuclear War posted:

To really appreciate the quality of Spiderweb RPGs you need to play something really bad
Something perhaps like the 20 yrs in development Grimoire or Baldurs Gate 1/2 in real-time combat mode(no pausing allowed).

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

To really appreciate the quality of Spiderweb RPGs you need to play something really bad
Something perhaps like the 20 yrs in development Grimoire or Baldurs Gate 1/2 in real-time combat mode(no pausing allowed).

That last one's particularly cruel.

JustJeff88 posted:

I started playing Exile 1 again and, while I miss the convenience features of 2 and 3, I'm having a lot of fun. However, I wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions for getting money in the early game. Between my six dudes and dudettes I have nearly 100 skill points saved up but am so hard up for cash that I can't afford to train them, and I am trying very hard not to use the editor. I had a stroke of luck when a suit of Iron Plate dropped during an encounter, and that sold for 2200 gold; I hope that I don't regret selling that because it's very good armour at this point in the game. Any ideas? My lead fighter hasn't spent a single skill point since the start of the game because I'm so broke.

You might want to see if there's information on this on the Spiderweb official forums. The posters are pretty good about responding to new threads if you can't find advice on this particular subject. Unfortunately, I don't really know, since I've only done the remakes and re-remakes.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

That last one's particularly cruel.

Either way, combat in the Baldurs Gate series is impressively bad. Real-time combat is uncontrollable, pause mode combat is ultra-boring & may have more micromanagement than professional Star Craft 2 matches.

I was kind, didn't suggest vanilla Arcanum as a Technology skewed character, or vanilla Arcanum in real-time combat mode.
Or Beyond Divinity. Yeah, you don't want to play Beyond Divinity even though it's an alpha concept of the team party mechanic in Divinity: Original Sin.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Maybe at long last we'll finally get to see what's in Sulfras' lair.

We won't. :negative:

I almost wish there was a way to remove those gates to explore it. In Exile 3 casting magic map revealed an entire area there complete with little white dots for special encounters and it's just such a huge tease. Same goes for Blackcrag Fortress, you only get to see maybe 1/10th of the place but again it was fully fleshed out with shops and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

And Tyler Too! posted:

Maybe at long last we'll finally get to see what's in Sulfras' lair.

We won't. :negative:

I almost wish there was a way to remove those gates to explore it. In Exile 3 casting magic map revealed an entire area there complete with little white dots for special encounters and it's just such a huge tease. Same goes for Blackcrag Fortress, you only get to see maybe 1/10th of the place but again it was fully fleshed out with shops and everything.

I'm pretty sure that if you cheat and go there anyway, you'll find that nothing's interactable, the NPCs have no dialog, the eggs (white dots) don't do anything, etc. There's a few regions like that, all reserved for the more powerful actors in the story.