Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Smells like exaggerated insults that lead to a romance. This game is secretly a really hosed up normal dating sim!

I think that's a touch more accurate.

e: Looking forward to the G-OLM route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

e: Looking forward to the G-OLM route.

But G-OLM's dead. Might just throw a wrench or two into that budding romance.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I think the 'you look like you're 13' does make sense as an insult, thanks.

whitehelm posted:

How is it bad for the translators to do their own silly thing for Phi rather than rely on a Japanese pun that isn't easily localized?

That's not what's bad. What's bad is that it's impossible for the phrase 'middle of' to become 'Middle Kingdom'. Aside from that, as SingerofW pointed out, it's a stretch to even take the word 'middle' to mean that. It's hard to get from there to "Chinese Room" too. This is only one bit in a project that otherwise has been very good, but it is off in almost every way possible.

Tea Bee
Apr 7, 2013
Are we already at the first ending? If Quark is missing and Alice is dead, it seems so. I knew this game had a lot of endings going in, but I'm surprised we managed to get this far already. Are all paths this short in Virtue's Last Reward?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Tea Bee posted:

Are we already at the first ending? If Quark is missing and Alice is dead, it seems so. I knew this game had a lot of endings going in, but I'm surprised we managed to get this far already. Are all paths this short in Virtue's Last Reward?

There's not an ending until the game says there's an ending, Hoss.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Oh come on. Phi is actually a Gaulem, so her looking like she's 13 is perfectly normal. So is not willing to pursue the "Gaulems might be in the middle of our group" line of thought.

(I do not know for sure whether she's actually a Gaulem in this timeline)

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Also just realized, it seems that the whole "pairs share the same destiny" thing at the least doesn't extend to horrible death via murder since Sigma was paired with Alive and is still alive.

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

Bruceski posted:

Oh no! Alice spilled spaghetti all over her lack-of-a shirt!
She obviously snuck away to the crew quarters while nobody was looking, ate three plates of spaghetti, and then went into a food coma. I don't know where people are getting the idea that she's dead.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

Zellus posted:

She obviously snuck away to the crew quarters while nobody was looking, ate three plates of spaghetti, and then went into a food coma. I don't know where people are getting the idea that she's dead.

Clearly the reason she ate all that was to trigger the third secret method of getting the bracelet off: Eating until you pass out. It's seems Phi has also figured this out but unfortunately for her she can eat an inhumane amount of food, probably because the food is burned up to fuel her super jumps.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Clover, did you pass on your psychotic breakdown to Quark for this game?

Oh, you! :allears:

I have no idea who did any of the killing. Clearly, the goons who deem it a spaghetti binge are on the right track.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

we didn't see any silverware in the pantry. Clearly Alice had some inside help on this spaghetti plan.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

BKPR posted:

we didn't see any silverware in the pantry. Clearly Alice had some inside help on this spaghetti plan.

She had help from Lotus, but Alice forgot to account for her spaghetti code.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

On a meta level, Clover is the perfect red herring, but she did stop to talk to Alice... I don't know what to think.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Kangra posted:

So "middle of" isn't a crucial bit of information, and the connection to "Middle Kingdom" was invented by the translators. How did they screw it up that bad? All they needed to do was cut it off a word earlier.

Am I not incorrect in thinking Sigma's assessment of Phi as thirteen is way off base?

Hey, I've heard China referred to as the Middle Kingdom several times; it's certainly uncommon, but not unheard of in English.

Of course, it's likely a translated loan phrase (or whatever the hell the term is) from Japanese anyways.

And re: Phi, yeah, she does look older than thirteen. Maybe the design was a little more stereotypically anime at one point, which style typically makes people look a little younger due to things like the way the eyes are drawn? And, occasionally, the character's age assessments are WAY off, like Clover from 999.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

John Lee posted:

And re: Phi, yeah, she does look older than thirteen.

I would hope a twenty-year-old would, yes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Looking closely, I noticed a knife handle in Alice's breasts.

LupusAter posted:

On a meta level, Clover is the perfect red herring, but she did stop to talk to Alice... I don't know what to think.

Didn't Clover mention that she and Alice are co-workers in an organization?

Besides, they've been fairly familiar with each other up to this point, including Alice reacting in worry about Clover when she saw her with K at the beginning of the game.

Seems pretty likely that Clover and Sigma of the remaining people definitely aren't the murderers.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 30, 2013

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

alcharagia posted:

I would hope a twenty-year-old would, yes.

Yeah, I meant that she totally did, so Sigma's interpretation was indeed odd. And that maybe she looked younger in a different art style or something, so it made more sense?

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013
I wish I had a PS Vita, though I do have a 3DS..
Luckily Amazon is still selling new copies of Zero Escape and I just ordered mine... Had to after reading all of this thread, thanks OP.. I loved 999!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Seems pretty likely that Clover and Sigma of the remaining people definitely aren't the murderers.

Don't forget Phi, she was with you the whole time. Unless she's a hologram or a twin or capable of killing via astral projection.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Looking closely, I noticed a knife handle in Alice's breasts.

Mystery solved: she accidentally stabbed herself with the knife she was using to eat the spaghetti :downs:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Instant Grat posted:

Mystery solved: she accidentally stabbed herself with the knife she was using to eat the spaghetti :downs:

That's it? drat, I've seen people do this to themselves all the time when they're eating, you guys are just blowing this way out of proportion.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
...you people are odd. Who uses a knife for spaghetti?! Fork and Spoon is all I need!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

beru04 posted:

...you people are odd. Who uses a knife for spaghetti?! Fork and Spoon is all I need!

How do you avoid winding up with a huge wad of noodles that sprays sauce everywhere as you twirl it up? Doing 5 quick cuts across the plate and 5 more cross-hatch cuts everything into manageable pieces and also lets you mix the sauce and noodles together well. No more shall you bear the indignity of sauceless noodles!

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Bruceski posted:

How do you avoid winding up with a huge wad of noodles that sprays sauce everywhere as you twirl it up? Doing 5 quick cuts across the plate and 5 more cross-hatch cuts everything into manageable pieces and also lets you mix the sauce and noodles together well. No more shall you bear the indignity of sauceless noodles!

I'm pretty sure that if you do that here in Italy and you are over 8 years old you get arrested. The spoon method is also tolerated at best, spaghetti have to be eaten by twirling them around the fork, cutting them is sacrilege.

LupusAter fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 1, 2013

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Let's Discuss Pasta Eating Tactics in Virtue's Last Reward

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Clearly someone caught Alice cutting spaghetti and did the only right thing. Mystery solved.

VVV: It doesn't fit on a noodle :v:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 1, 2013

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Who the hell uses a spoon to eat spaghetti? :confused:

That looks like Alice's bracelet on the floor next to her. You'd think the killer spaghetti monster would have taken it...

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
...Actually, it's probably a bad idea to take it unless you need it, considering the rules. If more than three bracelets enter a chromatic door, the puzzle room won't open up, so...

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

theshim posted:

That looks like Alice's bracelet on the floor next to her. You'd think the killer spaghetti monster would have taken it...

Why would they? That would just incriminate them as the murderer.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Yeah, in contrast to 999, stealing someone else's bracelet isn't really going to help unless that person is at 9 points (and then you'd have to somehow get rid of your own bracelet to use it!). The killer/thief wouldn't get access to any doors they otherwise couldn't get into, the pairs and colours change each round in a way that can't easily be predicted and I can't see any way to use it to cheese the AB game either.

There's just no reason to steal Alice's 1-point bracelet.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

vaguely posted:

Yeah, in contrast to 999, stealing someone else's bracelet isn't really going to help unless that person is at 9 points (and then you'd have to somehow get rid of your own bracelet to use it!). The killer/thief wouldn't get access to any doors they otherwise couldn't get into, the pairs and colours change each round in a way that can't easily be predicted and I can't see any way to use it to cheese the AB game either.

There's just no reason to steal Alice's 1-point bracelet.

Fedule posted:

Weeeeeeell I didn't want to make things complicated...

Then explain it now.

Just use the bracelets.

What? How?

There's a sort of scanner between the two doors.
It checks to see if the right people are going through.

So... it's scanning the bracelets, then?

Ding ding ding!

It doesn't matter how many people there are.

They're gonna need her bracelet, especially since before Zero Jr. told us that we need three people per door, no exceptions. Or in the case now, three bracelets.

Brings up another interesting fact. If Alice happens to be solo next round, her pair would obviously want to choose betray wouldn't they? Since she can't get any more dead than she already is, no guilt involved for putting her below 0!

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Just assume Luna will choose to betray and attach the bracelet to someone else. Even better, don't assume anything, tell her you're doing it and hope the RNG gods put you in a different group from the poor sap wearing two bracelets when Luna chooses ally anyway.

maswastaken fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 1, 2013

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The one thing is that we don't really have a motive for killing Alice. Barring any potential personal grudges, if we look at it from the perspective of an AB game player, one reasonable conclusion is to guarantee Ally in any potential future rounds. It's basically giving the group a free Luna - someone who'll always Ally. You could even kill two people for double the benefit.

The most probable killers, barring some weird form of suicide or psycho Quark, would be the people who stand to gain the most from an easy Betray - Clover, K and Dio. Ruling out Clover, it might be one of those two.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Count Bleck posted:

They're gonna need her bracelet, especially since before Zero Jr. told us that we need three people per door, no exceptions. Or in the case now, three bracelets.

Yeah, they're gonna need it, but there's no reason to steal it (unless whoever it is wants to kill everyone else she's with as well)

I wasn't saying there's no reason to kill her, just that it's not so strange that the killer didn't take her bracelet with them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Which means that they can take it now by virtue of necessity without looking guilty.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Which means that they can take it now by virtue of necessity without looking guilty.

As can anyone else. Alice was in a pair so no voting changes this round. Effects of voting in later rounds completely depend on what random color/pairing the bracelet winds up with. Getting the bracelet is not any clear motive for killing Alice. Even if pair/solo assignments match up, you're relying on having gotten to the bracelet first and saying "I've got the bracelet so we're going through the doors this way and you can't stop me nyah" which is just asking to get your rear end kicked. I can't see how the bracelet could possibly be a motive.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, I never said it was a motive. I was just speaking hypothetically based on an earlier person's post.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 1, 2013

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Yeah, thinking about it further, taking the bracelet both wouldn't help and would be a big red flag. They'll need it anyway later, assuming the rules don't change when someone dies.

Also Alice's bracelet is only really auto-ally if she ends up as a solo again. If she ends up in a pair, the other member can choose to hit betray.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Besides, secretly taking the bracelet with you is practically suicide the next time you go through a colored door with two other people. 4 scanned bracelets means everyone gets punished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

tiistai posted:

Besides, secretly taking the bracelet with you is practically suicide the next time you go through a colored door with two other people. 4 scanned bracelets means everyone gets punished.

That would be a clever murder technique - as a group runs into their door, throw a bracelet in after them just before the door shuts. Take out three birds with one stone!

• Locked thread