Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Glory of Arioch posted:

I guess your battered, lifeless corpse floating aimlessly in the void is an event.

Plus the battering is an event on its own, so that covers the plural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Samolety posted:

I, for one, nominate Zapp Brannigan Zeroisanumber to lead this new "Democratic Order of Planets".

Dear god! No greater disaster could befall the human race.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Prepare for the arrival of indoctrinated beef.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
"None of these worlds are yours except Terra. Attempt no launches there."

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I posit that Raw_Beef kicked an inhuman, non_terrestrial and even I daresay unholy amount of alien rear end.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Beef receives offer to join the Community, does so; is turned against us, gains psychic powers, leads psychic rebellion.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Leif. posted:

Beef receives offer to join the Community, does so; is turned against us, gains psychic powers, leads psychic rebellion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGKNaIXtBZQ

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

http://youtu.be/QvNn_vJy0BM?t=1m52s

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Mighty Beefcakes, save us from the terrors that lurk in the dark.

like communalism.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 1, 2014

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Anyone else wondering if this is how the God Emperor of Mankind got his start?

Think about it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Zeroisanumber posted:

Anyone else wondering if this is how the God Emperor of Mankind got his start?

Think about it.

Pretty sure he unified Terra first before loving with the Warp.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

To: UNRL
Re: Mining Numbers

A transfer of mines off Earth to employ free population on our colonies would results in the following changes (at = Access Ton):

58 mines (870 at) on Earth in exchange for 40 mines (648 at) on Callisto and 18 mines (~240 at) on Luna gains 18 at. In addition, access on Luna and Callisto is much higher. Our mining situation would thus yield the following changes.

Duranium: (583 + 216) - 400 = +399 tons/year
    Neutronium: (583 + 192) - 0 = +775
    Corbomite: (0 + 0) - 174 = -174
    Tritanium: (518 + 168) - 0 = +686
    Boronide: (0 + 120) - 174 = -54
    Mercassium: (130 + 0) - 0 = +130
    Vendarite: (194 + 96) - 0 = +290
    Sorium: (648 + 144) - 331 = +461
    Uridium: (0 + 48) - 174 = -126
    Corundium: (0 + 48) - 113 = -65
    Gallicite: (259 + 0) - 696 = -437

Our main losses are in production of Gallicite our second largest stockpile. We have a number of gains, notably, our smallest stockpile, Mercassium, goes up, and our all important Duranium production increases by 1.66%.

I know Councilor Aethernet had developed a comprehensive mineral plan, I simply wished to draw UNRL's attention to free population to run mines on higher access worlds. I leave it in your capable hands.

edit: fixed the numbers, math r hard

Gnooble fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 2, 2014

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Leif. posted:

Beef receives offer to join Community, does so; is turned against us, gains psychic powers, leads psychic rebellion.

HE IS

KICKPUNCHER

HIS PUNCHES HAVE THE FORCE OF KICKS

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

sebmojo posted:

HE IS

KICKPUNCHER

HIS PUNCHES HAVE THE FORCE OF KICKS

He likes gay jokes.

What?

We write great jokes.

Also, finally caught up. It's amazing how close this is to the actual internal politics of a large organization.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Raw_Beef posted:

Events are taking place beyond Hakahaka gate.

I am not at liberty to say more.

punch them

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Task Group WATCHTOWER: 5m km from Roanoke-Hakahaka JP, 19th December 2036

Capt. Veazey reports that during routine inspections, a large crack was discovered on the thrust plate on UNS Cape Town's #3 engine assembly. Veazey adds that CAPT BwenGun's crew have already repaired the engine from onboard spares and WATCHTOWER is still at full combat readiness. Cape Town has been deployed for nearly 16 months without overhaul.

Task Group WATCHTOWER: 5m km from Roanoke-Hakahaka JP, 25th December 2036, 2:00 UTC

WATCHTOWER and PILGRIM (which contains UNS Edwin H. Armstrong and UNS Pythia) set course for the Hakahaka jump point, reaching it thirty minutes later. There, the two groups re-organize. Pythia re-joins WATCHTOWER (if only temporarily), while the Samar IIb-class DE UNS Bohol is attached to PILGRIM.

Thirty minutes after reforming, Armstrong and Bohol perform a squadron transit through to Hakahaka. WATCHTOWER's orders are to wait up to three hours before sending another Samar to investigate.

This is unnecessary, however, as less than half an hour later, PILGRIM returns to Roanoke via a standard transit.

Bohol's CO, CMDR yinette, reports that after emerging 8,000 km from the rift terminus, there was no sign of Peaceful Concepts of Communion, at least out to the 11.6m km range of Bohol's active sensors. Mysteriously, yinette's report also says that the com beacon sent through as part of IRON CHEF was located, drifting about 40,000 km from the jump point. The Commander ordered a shuttle dispatched to retrieve the beacon, and turned it over to WATCHTOWER's technicians for analysis.

The technician's report, forwarded on to 1st Fleet HQ, reveals that the extra ordnance and provisions loaded onto the beacon are still aboard, though there is no sign of OSIRIS. The onboard recorders contain imagery of the transit and OSIRIS's emergence into Hakahaka. Upon arrival, the video shows OSIRIS detaching from the com beacon and making for Peaceful Concepts of Communion alone. Shortly afterwards, the covert operative becomes too small to be tracked visually, and his biometric and positional data cuts off about ten minutes later, just as he reaches the Mind vessel.

The beacon goes on to record the stabilization of the gate by the alien linelayer around 10:00 UTC on 17th December. Afterwards, the ship headed off in the direction of the Thebes Gate before moving beyond the extremely limited range of the com beacon.

Elsewhere, Dr. Rotekian announces that he has completed his project aimed at space-rating a levitated-pit nuclear warhead. The twenty labs under his direction are turned over to Dr. Eumenides, who is finishing up the miniaturized missile ion drive prototype as the last phase of PROJECT SPRINTER. Eumenides reports that his work should be completed by 16th January, less than three weeks hence.

Research Unlocked
  • Missiles & Kinetic Weapons
    • Boosted Fission Warhead: Strength 5 x MSP: 8000 RP, €8 billion. Description: The amount of damage caused by a missile with this technology if it reaches its target. Our scientists estimate that missile warhead yields can be increased by up to 20% by introducing the concept of fusion-boosted fission weapons: shortly before detonation, an amount of tritium/deuterium is injected into the pit. At detonation, these gases are compressed to the fusion point, creating helium and, more importantly, free neutrons. These free neutrons "boost" the yield of the fission reaction for a given reaction mass. This allows for smaller devices to have similar yields to previous generation devices.

Officer Attribute Increases
  • CMDR Jesenjin - Crew Training Rating: 75 -> 100 (+25), 17th December 2036
  • CMDR DarthDan - Fleet Movement Initiative Rating: 289 -> 325 (+36), 19th December 2036
  • CAPT serelon - Fleet Movement Initiative Rating: 222 -> 266 (+44), 19th December 2036
  • Dr. Lynneth - Defensive Systems: 0% -> 5% (+5%), 23rd December 2036
  • CMDR Pfox - Crew Training Rating: 100 -> 125 (+25), 23rd December 2036
  • CMDR Jack2142 - Political Reliability: 15% -> 20% (+5%), 25th December 2036

Civilian Construction
  • Sad Container Line
    • Udaloy 31-class freighter, 19th December 2036
  • Yamamoto Marine
    • Dundee-class freighter SS Aurora Borealis, 25th December 2036

bgreman fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 10, 2014

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Huh. So... Beef showed up, they all had a polite discussion, and headed off to Thebes. Or, he lost the fight?

I really don't know what to make of that, although it's interesting that they elected not to cross into Roanoake. Either their stabilization algorithm is breadth-first, or fight/discussion convinced them they're better off leaving us alone at least until they come back with non-imaginary guns.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Akratic Method posted:

Huh. So... Beef showed up, they all had a polite discussion, and headed off to Thebes. Or, he lost the fight?

I really don't know what to make of that, although it's interesting that they elected not to cross into Roanoake. Either their stabilization algorithm is breadth-first, or fight/discussion convinced them they're better off leaving us alone at least until they come back with non-imaginary guns.

Yeah, congratulations, the ambush is no longer an ambush. Unsurprisingly Beef decided to defect/got brainwashed rather than explode.

e: if anyone's keeping a tally, chalk up another one for poorly thought through UNEC plans going terribly wrong.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
There isn't any other kind of UNEC plan

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Welp that's interesting and somewhat unexpected. Seems like the PCoC is off to stabilise other locations and/or the Mind is coming back with door kickers. At least we might have a bit more time to complete Project Labyrinth and get our ion fleet tooled up before it comes down to shooting for real.

AMARDA
Mar 30, 2014
Lets kick in the K2 door and get that cleaned out. While we do that get our Ion Fleet online!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

To-Do list

Formally inform the Feds as to the outcome of Osiris. Partial success, the PCoC is no longer approaching Terra. We still have too many unknowns on this front, but the hand on the doomsday clock is a few minutes further from midnight at least for the moment.

Go/No Go on K2 operations. Circumstances have changed. Blitzing this front is an option. Bear in mind this is a system adjacent to Sol.

Any other matters arising.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

With the new missile heads have we already decided on what our new Missiles will be looking like or has it yet to be decided?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

For information like that, and to see what UNEC is up to its best to look at the Standing orders page of the wiki.

In this case the new missile designs I have in mind are:

code:
Denel SSM-13A "Harrier" ASM
WH 2.25 ENG 3.1 FUEL 0.65
Missile Size: 6 MSP  (0.3 HS)     Warhead: 9    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 31000 km/s    Endurance: 12 minutes   Range: 21.7m km
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 310%   3k km/s 100%   5k km/s 62%   10k km/s 31%

Development Cost for Project: 535RP

----

Denel SSM-11B "Eagle-B" Anti-Ship Missile
WH 1.5 ENG 2.065 FUEL 0.435
Missile Size: 4 MSP  (0.2 HS)     Warhead: 6    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 31000 km/s    Endurance: 12 minutes   Range: 21.8m km
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 310%   3k km/s 100%   5k km/s 62%   10k km/s 31%

Development Cost for Project: 356RP

----

MBDA SVM-6D "Hornet-D" Multipurpose Missile
WH 0.25 ENG 0.65 FUEL 0.1
Missile Size: 1 MSP  (0.05 HS)     Warhead: 1    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 39000 km/s    Endurance: 9 minutes   Range: 20.0m km
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 390%   3k km/s 130%   5k km/s 78%   10k km/s 39%

Development Cost for Project: 90RP

AMARDA
Mar 30, 2014
Do we have any immediate designs we can begin? Even if they are the smallest of the classes it will be better to start ASAP.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Unfortunately not, we need to get the key techs researched before we can begin designs of the various warships. See Project NIKE.

Rotekian
Jan 1, 2013
We have a timetable now. On roughly the 16th of January missile ion engines will complete. At that point we can begin researching the missiles themselves. Of the missiles we probably want to begin production on the Eagle-B first, that will take roughly 15 days to research. So the next generation of missiles will likely begin production at the beginning of February.

The Hornet-D is much faster to research so we could begin production of that missile earlier, but it is also less useful. This is a case where it would be useful to know how many of each missile we need to produce before Operation Labyrinth can begin in order to work out the most efficient research order.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Alchenar posted:

Yeah, congratulations, the ambush is no longer an ambush. Unsurprisingly Beef decided to defect/got brainwashed rather than explode.

e: if anyone's keeping a tally, chalk up another one for poorly thought through UNEC plans going terribly wrong.

So, I haven't been paying attention at all lately, just saw Beef's post and I figured he got a ship from another sucker again or is a mecha without need for air now and plot was happening.

Or did the UNEC actually give him a vessel after defecting once and breaking an (admittedly idiotic) agreement a second time?
Otoh I'm fairly sure Beef wouldn't betray humanity, but sending him in alone is... silly. Unless it's bgreman-originated plot in which case it should be fine.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 10, 2014

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
Not so much a vessel as the space equivalent of an inflatable raft. Compared to this thing Shrike was a cruise liner. No actual in-game resources were spent on this.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Given that OSIRIS may have contributed to the non-completion of the gate on the Roanoke side of the jump point, it's difficult to describe it as a loss - as a minimum, it may have bought us more time. I would suggest only telling the Feds about the actions of the linelayer and leaving Beef out of it until the picture is clearer.

LABYRINTH should be a go regardless; if it comes to a vote, this is UNRL's position.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

The K2 excursion force is currently projected to be:
6 Gibraltar-B, 4 Berlin IIM, 6 Capetown-B, 4 Samar IIB, 4 Surigao, 1 Praetor, 1 Panner, 9 Guam, 3 Delphi.

http://bgreman.com/AuroraLPWiki/Operation_Labyrinth

To fully outfit the force using the missiles and loadouts outlined requires:

604x Denel SSM-13A "Harrier" ASM (5.35BP)
60x Denel SSM-11B "Eagle-B" ASM (3.565BP)
286x MBDA SVM-6D "Hornet-D" Multipurpose Missile (0.9BP)

The exact timetable depends on how long it takes to build the missile stocks which is hard to predict now as we are expanding our ordnance capacity pretty rapidly.
Once I have some time I will reorder the research que slightly to get the Hornet-D design done first so production can begin ASAP. I'm also going to have to redo the research projections in light of the deal made with the Feds, I will see how many labs I need to divert to get the Small crew Qtr and Fire control speed techs by March and late July respectively.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Aethernet posted:

Given that OSIRIS may have contributed to the non-completion of the gate on the Roanoke side of the jump point, it's difficult to describe it as a loss - as a minimum, it may have bought us more time. I would suggest only telling the Feds about the actions of the linelayer and leaving Beef out of it until the picture is clearer.

LABYRINTH should be a go regardless; if it comes to a vote, this is UNRL's position.

FYI, there is a pre-existing gate on the Roanoke side of the Roanoke-Hakahaka jump point.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

IRON CHEF may not have been a rousing success, but it was hardly a loss - Beef wasn't privy to any UNIN ops, plans, or other information beyond the parameters of his own mission, and material losses were negligible. Overall, Beef succeeded - PCoC went back to Thebes instead of continuing towards Earth.

LABYRINTH will go ahead.

To: PILGRIM, WATCHTOWER
Re: Hakahaka

Mission Complete. PILGRIM (Pythia, Armstrong) to return to Callisto. WATCHTOWER 1 (Capes + Samar) to maintain watch from their position. WATCHTOWER 2 (Didyma, Bohol) will picket the Hakahaka side of the JP with actives on. We understand some maintenance work may be necessary, relief forces will be underway following refit of L variant ships.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

bgreman posted:

FYI, there is a pre-existing gate on the Roanoke side of the Roanoke-Hakahaka jump point.

Balls. Shows what I get for phone posting and not bothering to check the Galactic Map. Do we know whether the Mind has any way of knowing about the presence of the existing gate? We haven't observed them cross that jump point, have we?

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Aethernet posted:

Balls. Shows what I get for phone posting and not bothering to check the Galactic Map. Do we know whether the Mind has any way of knowing about the presence of the existing gate? We haven't observed them cross that jump point, have we?

To our knowledge, they have never transited that point. TACT informed them of the presence of the single side gate when we first intended to bring the Shard into Roanoke.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
Please believe i made a serious attempt to complete my mission as planned.
Events took place that I am not at liberty to discuss.
I believe that I stayed loyal to the UNIN to the end, and may have had a positive effect on future events.

RIP Capt. Raw_Beef AKA OSIRIS. 2005-2036.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I will drink the rest of the bottle in your honor, sir. Salute!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
RIP My Goddamn Officer, 2005-2036.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Raw_Beef posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Raw_Beef posted:

Please believe i made a serious attempt to complete my mission as planned.
Events took place that I am not at liberty to discuss.
I believe that I stayed loyal to the UNIN to the end, and may have had a positive effect on future events.

Thanks for the spoiler! :argh:

• Locked thread