Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

AnonSpore posted:

Awesome. How would the passive tree look like for that? Something like this? I took that off the forums; it's listed as the "elemental bow ranger" spec.

Yes, if you want to use Blood Magic, that would work. You would have to run Life Leech to make the build sustainable, but you have the advantage of Burning Arrow being significantly cheaper than the more popular Lightning Arrow, or even Ice Shot.

If you don't want to use Blood Magic, you can try something like this. It is by no means an optimized build, and is just going by the BM build's use of Iron Reflexes as well as my own Shadow build.

Edit: I just realized this build has almost no resist skills. However, you can spend four points for Diamond Skin (+15% all resists); 3 points for +6% all resists, +15% cold, +15% fire; Or 3 points for +6% all resists, +15% lightning, +15% fire. If you do choose Diamond Skin, you can get it and Iron Reflexes with 86 points total by skipping Celerity, which might be a good idea for the BM build as well.

The lack of resists is of course something you can make up with items.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Trading thread up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3530920 Hope I don't end up getting banned for it somehow :v:.

Divine Disclaimer
Jan 24, 2013

by T. Finninho

DemonMage posted:

1) Other way around. It effects everything unless it says it only effects something specific.

2) Yes, it completely rerolls the links on the item.

3) Yes.

This is misleading. Crit chance on the passive tree does not impact spells unless it explicitly says so.

Source, if I am wrong- I want to know.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Divine Disclaimer posted:

This is misleading. Crit chance on the passive tree does not impact spells unless it explicitly says so.

You're super wrong, crit chance applies to anything that can crit.

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

Digging this game so far. I've got a level 5 duelist that I didn't spec the way I should have and someone in general chat mentioned there is a re-spec option at the end of act 1 (maybe act 2?). Is that the case or should I just re-roll?

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

There's no full respec but there's 2 respec points in Act 1 and 2 more in Act 2, I think. At level 5 it might just be better off rerolling since the first 10 are so fast.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

SteveMcQueen posted:

Digging this game so far. I've got a level 5 duelist that I didn't spec the way I should have and someone in general chat mentioned there is a re-spec option at the end of act 1 (maybe act 2?). Is that the case or should I just re-roll?

You get respec points thorough the game, and from orbs of regret. However, each respec point will only revert one skill. You get 18 total, not counting orbs.

It's a good idea to make a new character, yes. Respec points are very valuable and can make leveling your character easier. For instance, my Shadow build did a faster route towards one of his main skills, which so far has made leveling a breeze, but once I get to a certain level, I'm going to refund 8 skills to optimize my build.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

SteveMcQueen posted:

Either way it takes like 10 minutes to get a fresh character to level 5.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Divine Disclaimer posted:

You are wrong. If it is generic critical strike it affects both. The guy who writes the passives has a near autistic devotion to absolute specificity. For example, things that say "increased" damage all stack together additively and things that say "more" damage are always multiplicative.

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

Thanks everyone. I am probably just bad but it took me like 45 minutes to get to 5. I'm sure it'll go faster next time.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I just took a lightning witch into act 2 without issue. My theorycraft says to just go full out spark forever, matching it up with fork and lesser/greater multiple projectiles. So far I just have fork and spark. Indoors I just destroy things in the middle of an epileptic inducing battle royale. Outdoors is a bit tougher since the sparks tend to go every which way and aggro things from off screen :haw:

I have no idea if it will be viable at higher levels but I don't care, it just sounds too awesome to imagine shooting 9+ forking sparks.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Right now I have a level 26 (or 27, can't remember, and site's down because of server reboot) bow lightning shadow and my main attack is Split Arrow with Fork and Lesser Multiple Projectiles while I have Wrath on. Needless to say, I rock everything down to Electric Avenue...

...too bad I can only get 6 shots off before my mana dries up :v:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Meh, restart came when I was fighting with Vaal. Couldn't do enough dps to get him killed, so I had to try again after restart. My weapon was god-awful, but luckily I found a new one (which rolled +42% phys dmg with orb), so my damage per hit went from 69-106 to 154-231. Surprise surprise, boss died quite fast after that!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Agent355 posted:

I just took a lightning witch into act 2 without issue. My theorycraft says to just go full out spark forever, matching it up with fork and lesser/greater multiple projectiles. So far I just have fork and spark. Indoors I just destroy things in the middle of an epileptic inducing battle royale. Outdoors is a bit tougher since the sparks tend to go every which way and aggro things from off screen :haw:

I have no idea if it will be viable at higher levels but I don't care, it just sounds too awesome to imagine shooting 9+ forking sparks.

Double totem spark was the most OP thing in closed beta, should be fine.

Rogue
May 11, 2002

Hmm

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Remember that goon who got his name changed to a random string of characters? Yeah.

Edit: Unless you're talking about the scroll fragments. That's funny too.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Gils posted:

Does this game do the same type of loot progression like Diablo 2 where you go from being in full plate back to rags because the second tier rags have better stats?

Yes.

big sperma shot posted:

As far as I can tell, yeah. Why would you want to take Cleave over Ground Slam or Sweep?

I only have experience with marauders though

Leap Slam :swoon:

Been using that for a while and to me it's the clear winner in the red aoe skill gems. Aside from the obvious shortcut use and being able to leap out of trouble, it has pretty drat nice damage. I got life of hit and fire damage supports on it at the moment and the damage aside, it makes me unkillable (on cruel) in big crowds. You can just always easily aim where the pile is biggest.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

whypick1 posted:

Right now I have a level 26 (or 27, can't remember, and site's down because of server reboot) bow lightning shadow and my main attack is Split Arrow with Fork and Lesser Multiple Projectiles while I have Wrath on. Needless to say, I rock everything down to Electric Avenue...

...too bad I can only get 6 shots off before my mana dries up :v:

Lesser Multiple Projectiles works with split arrow? I thought it would be worthless since the split arrow stats doesn't say it's specifically a projectile, like it does for fireball/ice spear/etc.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Welp I found a GMP gem on my ranger and its amazing. Every ice shot lags the game and everything dies.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Joink posted:

Welp I found a GMP gem on my ranger and its amazing. Every ice shot lags the game and everything dies.

Combine that with Chain and a Death's Harp (unique bow that shoots 2 arrows).

Divine Disclaimer
Jan 24, 2013

by T. Finninho

SurrealityCheck posted:

You are wrong. If it is generic critical strike it affects both. The guy who writes the passives has a near autistic devotion to absolute specificity. For example, things that say "increased" damage all stack together additively and things that say "more" damage are always multiplicative.

Hey thanks, that information only opens up even more potential on my existing build path. Appreciate it guys. I see now that the specified Spell Crit chances are so high an exclusive to spells because those high %'s wouldn't be balanced on basic attack crit builds.

Still, I don't see how "increased" = additive and "more" = multiplicative.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Knightmare posted:

Lesser Multiple Projectiles works with split arrow? I thought it would be worthless since the split arrow stats doesn't say it's specifically a projectile, like it does for fireball/ice spear/etc.

Lesser Multiple Projectiles adds X arrows to the shot, so it bumps Split Arrow up by the amount it lists. That said, adding that many arrows to Split Arrow seems kind of silly when you could just go for piercing instead.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Does it ever make sense to leave gems under-leveled? I want to spam Rain of Arrows like crazy and it seems like leveling it up raises the mana cost.

Sosiz
Nov 8, 2009
I'm having so much fun with my Witch, just spamming Fire Trap and Firestorm and watching the enemies burn alive

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

sentrygun posted:

Lesser Multiple Projectiles adds X arrows to the shot, so it bumps Split Arrow up by the amount it lists. That said, adding that many arrows to Split Arrow seems kind of silly when you could just go for piercing instead.

I don't have Piercing yet, so LMP it is.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Zero VGS posted:

Does it ever make sense to leave gems under-leveled? I want to spam Rain of Arrows like crazy and it seems like leveling it up raises the mana cost.

Yes. You want to find a sweet spot between damage dealt and mana cost, although it depends entirely on your build. There's even a vendor recipe that lets you take a level off a gem.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

What is the base odds of inflicting shock/freeze/ignite?

And the passives that say they increase it by 10%, I'm assuming thats multiplicative? So they'd turn the base 10% chance of shock into 11%?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Joink posted:

You lucky fucker. I'm just straight up too poor to buy GMP.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

Agent355 posted:

And the passives that say they increase it by 10%, I'm assuming thats multiplicative? So they'd turn the base 10% chance of shock into 11%?

It's based on critical hits, although I'm still not sure what the base odds are. Anyway these wiki links should answer some of your questions: Damage Types and Status Ailments

10bux fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 29, 2013

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

10bux posted:

It's based on critical hits, although I'm still not sure what the base odds are. Anyway these wiki links should answer some of your questions: Damage Types and Status Ailments

I tested it with Ice Shot and Cold Snap. Chill appears to always be applied by both skills. The duration varies. Ice Shot has a base duration while Cold Snap has a percentage based duration bonus. Freeze appears to be tied to critical hits.

Ignite is different. Burning Arrow for instance has a listed chance to trigger it, but critical hits will apply Ignite regardless.

Edit: I believe skills that say "Chance to Shock/Freeze/Ignite" just add a flat chance to apply these effects when dealing the relevant damage type.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 29, 2013

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

From what I've seen it sounds like a flat chance to add, which means I really need to go get that passive.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Agent355 posted:

I can vouch that for the two +10% chance to shock skills that are between the Templar and Witch (Static Blows and Chance to Shock)they are additive. As in, you get a base chance of 20% to cause shock with any lightning damage.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Grammaton posted:

Is it hard for anyone else to tell green from blue sockets? Might just be because my eyesight isn't the best.

I have decent eyesight and I have trouble telling the difference myself.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I have decent eyesight and I have trouble telling the difference myself.

Do you guys happen to have this problem often? Not trying to be a dick, but either your screen settings are out of whack or you are partially color blind. The green and blue sockets are very easily distinguished.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Yep, color blind is my guess. Looking at a green and a blue socket on the same item, I honestly can't say I would ever confuse the two unless I was hammered and with three days of sleep deprivation.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
You haven't played Path of Exile until you've tried to run Lunaris with an LMP arctic breath witch and a summoner templar in the same party.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I've been going by this guide I found on the official forums: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/73072 (skill tree is here.)

I seem to be doing okay, but I still lose quite a bit of health during fights even vs normal mobs. I'm about to get blood magic and I'm worried about dying all the time due to that. I have life on hit gems linked with sweep and heavy strike (those are pretty much the only gems I'm using, should I try to find something else?).

0 problem seeing the difference between green and blue, REAL problem with green/red, but then again, I am used to it as I am red/green colour blind.

StickyNavels
Apr 3, 2009
I'm currently leveling a Ranger and I feel a bit overwhelmed looking at the skill map. Is it viable to focus mostly on critical chance/strike, or should I look into something else?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Haerc posted:

I've been going by this guide I found on the official forums: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/73072 (skill tree is here.)

I seem to be doing okay, but I still lose quite a bit of health during fights even vs normal mobs. I'm about to get blood magic and I'm worried about dying all the time due to that. I have life on hit gems linked with sweep and heavy strike (those are pretty much the only gems I'm using, should I try to find something else?).

0 problem seeing the difference between green and blue, REAL problem with green/red, but then again, I am used to it as I am red/green colour blind.

The amount of life blood magic will use on the normal attack skills is absolutely nothing compared to what the mobs hit you, so I wouldn't worry about it. And at least for me the gameplay got a lot more enjoyable once I got rid of mana.

I'd toss the life on hit from heavy strike and put fire or physical damage gems in instead. The life gain isn't that big on a single target hit while the damage gems add a rather large boost. % life leech gem might be different but then again, you need pretty massive damage for it to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Haerc posted:

Don't take Blood Magic until you have one of the health regen passives and that one circle of life leech/life gained on hit passives right near Blood Magic. 1 or 2 handed mace is probably the easiest melee class at the moment, perhaps the easiest class in the game. A leveled up Ground Slam with Life on Hit and the Stun support gem remove pretty much all risk from being melee, and then using Glacial Hammer + Heavy Strike with physical/elemental/life leech gems on bosses makes those fights really easy.

Not picking on you since you pasted something from the forums but to everyone looking at or making builds in general: Don't paste/copy builds that are 111 or 70 or even 50 points used. While it's good to have to some general direction, whats much more important is having a plan of where you want to go early on, so you'd have your builds made up at 20ish points spent and 35-45 points spent, which is when Normal ends. Not sure if it's the same anymore but you used to get about ~30 levels in Normal and then about 10 more levels per difficulty after that. A 111 point build is totally unrealistic.

I also found that for the most part, at least through the entire Normal difficulty, you can do without any % physical/handed/weapon damages, outside of the ones you start with anyway - getting as many Life and Resist nodes are far more important to prepare for upper difficulties, most of your damage comes from skills and items. Unless you're going to be using some skill you can get early that is weapon specific (Ground Slam/Glacial Hammer) you shouldn't take weapon specific nodes, you want to be able to swap to a new weapon type if it's better than one you have right now (if all your main gems work with it)

This is all my experience with Hardcore, though. Maybe getting so many life passives doesn't matter in Default. All this just been advice, do whatever the gently caress you wanna do.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 29, 2013

• Locked thread