Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

trouser chili posted:

I really don't think it's a fuel issue. The mixture that poofed out the carb looked too fat to have a fuel issue, unless somehow you've got things too rich. Next time you try cranking, pull a plug after and see if it's wet. Wet plugs would indicate flooding, too much fuel. Typically though you don't get sporadic fits of running in that situation. You just get nothing same as a no-spark condition.

Yea I agree, no matter how much or little fuel goes in it does the exact same thing so Im thinking its spark related somehow. Last time I pulled the plugs they werent too wet. I'm more worried about my brand new virgin cylinder walls getting washed down right now, I hate cranking it so much with not that much firing.

Condenser is coming around noon today and the battery has been charging overnight so we'll see what happens this afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT
Please tell me this one is free, since they literally sent you a box with a clip and no condenser in it last time. Bonus condenser clip mount thingie though. Call me Mr. Bright side. Can't wait to see this thing run tomorrow!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea the lady at napa thought the empty was funny and will trade it for a full one. Man I hope its the problem.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICUCeh6nE8w

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Sounds bad rear end... just like an old tractor.

Pipkins thread: tractor motors now running.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"Oh my god!" is about right. One more project running!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Thats cause it is a tractor, with heat. It also has no muffler yet. I couldn't think of anything to say besides "oh my god" after the years of work I put into it, what a feeling that was.

Then we moved the plug wires around to get the distributor in the right spot and now it wont start again. The battery was getting really weak and it takes forever to charge so I'll do that overnight and get it running again tomorrow.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Don't know if you had been cranking on it prior to the video, but the way it was cranking makes me think the timing is still too advanced. The way it comes up on the compression and stalls is likely because the plug is firing on the compression and the starter is fighting the piston trying to push the motor backwards.

Anyway though, what did you do to get the success we're now seeing?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh it was the timing for sure. After a minute my friend said gently caress it and just started turning the distributor while I was cranking it until it started. It was pretty much one plug wire off all the way around the cap.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I wonder is the black diamond is weird like the sv8-series and times off some random cylinder instead of 1. The sv8 motors time off of cylinder 8, for example. I have no idea why IH did this.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Hah, Ive never heard about that. All it says in the manual is the firing order and that the distributor turns counter-clockwise.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

The engine wont even turn over now for some reason. I got the battery tested and its fine. We even put a 12 volt battery and it worked for about 5 senconds then did the same thing. Pretty discouraged right now :(

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Dumping enough fuel in there trying to get it started (or a float too high) that you locked a cylinder? Can you get a breaker bar on the crank to see if it will turn by hand?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Can you turn it by hand?
Could be as simple as a dead starter, or the engine could be hydrolocked on fuel.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Don't give up!

My landy was impossible to get started last time I had it apart for big engine works (timing belt). I had the same tricky starting as you and thought I had knocked the timing out. After double checking it all (and replacing the battery and earth straps) i eventually replaced the entire starter withe a new one and it started perfectly!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Im going to try turning it by hand right now and pull the plugs just to see whats going on. I wont give up! I wish I could buy a new starter but I cant and just got this one rebuilt. If it turns by hand Ill pull the starter apart to see if anything is going on inside it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It was impossible to turn by hand and it cranks awesome with no plugs in it. We may be onto something here, fellas.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

False alarm, its still cranking like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve4R_EODeHM

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Maybe get some thicker wires from ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-0-Gauge-AWG-Custom-Battery-Cables-Solar-Marine-Power-Inverter-Copper-Wire-/380875455559

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea thats my next step for sure. Its weird though because it cranked fine with the 1 gauge cables for like 1 day.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
What amperage is the starter trying to draw when you crank the engine?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think the motor is just half hosed at this point from being overheated. gently caress 6 volt forever.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Im guessing its about 300 amps when cranking. I dont know this for sure but I think 12 volt starters see about 150 so I'm just doubling that. I also agree that I probably overheated it and yes 6 volt is terrible.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yeah, if the battery is confirmed as fully charged and good, I'd be looking at the starter. That's exactly how my F-150 (12 volt, even) sounded every time the starter took a crap.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Tim I totally forgot to bring your black zip-up hoodie over a few weeks ago. Still sitting in my closet.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea it has to be the starter. I'm seeing 4.9 volts on both sides of the solenoid even when the starter is stopped dead. My C10 did the same thing when the starter went bad so I'm going to bring this one back to the people that rebuilt it.

Also dammit aggro crag, I was to hammered to remember that when you were here but thats one of my favorite hoodies, my nana got that for me. Someday I'll get it back, haha.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Looks like someone gifted me a stitchatar. Can someone get rid of the white box, I'll buy whoever does it a forums upgrade cause its bothering me, haha.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Even edited by hand, mine looks like poo poo. Oh well. :effort:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Hitachi Photoshop Magic Wand to the rescue:

No forums whatever needed if you choose to use this one as I've got everything already. Unless Viggen needs one then give it to him.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Thanks Galler! And Viggen you cant get PMs

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Fart Pipe posted:

Thanks Galler! And Viggen you cant get PMs

I know. I lost that with the ban. I'd be more than happy to take plat if you want to drop :10bux: on me. If not, uhm, surprise me.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
If you want to get good cable, hit up your local welding supply shop. It's pricey, but well worth it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Thats exactly what I did today. I got some 2/00 and both crimped and soldered the lugs. It seems a little better but its still a no-go. I also brought the starter back to the shop to have it tested and they said its fine. He just hooked it up to a battery instead of any kind of load test so I dont know. When I got back I pulled all the plugs again and dried out the cylinders. It cranks absolutely fine with no plugs in it. I put them back in and put the timing back to where it started a few days ago but the starter motor was getting hot so Im in here writing this post while it cools off. We'll see.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

West SAAB Story posted:

I know. I lost that with the ban. I'd be more than happy to take plat if you want to drop :10bux: on me. If not, uhm, surprise me.

I was going to do this but it says I need your email address.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Is there something wrong with the camshaft or valve train causing excessive vacuum or compression?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I dont think so only because it ran so well when it started and it has cranked over normally a few times. I think the starter just gets hot really fast and gives up. I'm going to try it this morning after cooling all night. The problem is I dont get enough cranking time to figure out the ignition timing before the starter gives up. When we got it to run that time the timing was so incredibly sensitive to even the most minute degrees of adjustment. I just have to keep trying it for very short times until I get there.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
"...but then something bad happened and it started catching on fire so I gave up"
New thread title right there. Those in the audience, raise your right hand if you've ever been in a situation where you could have said those words.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Hahaha, oh man that would be a great thread title.

So the next chapter of this saga. I tried it again this morning and it was still not turning AT ALL. Not even a little bit so it wasnt heat or a dead battery last night. Being that I can't leave anything alone I pulled the starter off again for the millionth time to check the windings my drat self since I have no confidence in the starter rebuild anymore. Once I got it on the bench I figured Id check the solenoid to see if I could take it apart and I could. I thought it was a sealed unit. Anyway I get it apart and find that its either my old one or another old one from off the shelf. The inside and the contacts were wasted. I cleaned it all up and put it back on the truck and what do you know, it cranked like a 12 volt. For about 5 seconds then were back to square one. It almost started too, fired a few times but I didn't mess with the carb since I was just doing a starting test. I think the solenoid is definitely a big problem but I can't figure out why I only get such a tiny amount of time before it gives up again. I've got the battery on the charger right now and Im waiting for it to cool off to try it one more time. This truck is going to be the death of me.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

DUDES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zq-8AEumP8

The starter still sucks rear end but oh my god is this a good day. Its got a loose rocker or two but I had to do it cold and its supposed to be warm when you adjust them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
VICTORY!!!

Glad it runs that nicely, it has to be that stupid loving starter and solenoid that have been pissing you off for weeks anyways.