Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Turn 10:

The calm before the storm.

First up, our fight on Polson Plains:

...we lost Triarii to PD??? What the gently caress?

Oh.

Barbarians hit really goddamn hard and have the morale to give no shits about repel, especially given that they have reasonably long weapons themselves. Barbarians are a strange indy - like most, they're not really worth buying in any amounts. Unlike most, they're capable of doing serious damage to anything that they can gang up on. Even expansion PGs like dragons tend to avoid these provinces because of the likelihood of picking up a crippling affliction. The major downside to barbarians is that they're squishy as hell. Their lack of shields means that ranged weapons obliterate them. Berzerker means that you're going to lose a ton of them in almost every circumstance. Low protection means that Joe Random is still going to be landing damaging hits two times out of three. They're glass cannons, with not enough cannon to make up for the glass.

Anyways, enough about lame indies.

Lame. Population = tax. Less population = poor sad broke elves.

That looks to have been about 10% of the population. Must have been one hell of a harsh winter. I'm not sure how income is calculated exactly, but I know we didn't lose *that* much money. Still, not something we want to have happen with any regularity.

Overall, this turn ends up being rather boring, eventswise. Intelligencewise:

Our scout has almost circumnavigated the world. We've found the bottom of libliuni's territory (barely visible under the economy window), and are moving south to further explore monkee's lands. Closer to our own borders, Rotekian has taken that throne next to Black Marshes with his PG - that big titan-looking dude. To our north, we see some of diablo's armies. Atavi archers and Marverni bare-chested warriors to the west, mercenary crossbows to the north. Triarius army moves on the crossbows - despite the AP, tower shields still help - while tuatha reinforcements from the capital move up to reinforce. Barring any surprises, I don't see us having any problems sweeping through Belgium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Province income is real simple: 100 people = 1 pound of gold per turn.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
That flying raiders thing sounds dumb as hell. Unrest tactics are already some major poo poo without being BUGGED AND NOT DIRECTLY COUNTERABLE.

Goddamn, Dominions really does bring out the worst in people.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Turn 10??

Around now, the evil empire of Westeros invades the land of peaceful snakes. If you go back to ChickenWing's intel report and compare it to Nuclearmonkee's post, you can already see it happen.

Poor, innocent snakes are getting trampled!!!

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Hi, hi, hello [mimes tipping imaginary (NOT REAL) hat to thread Girl] there's a game intended for new players here http://www.brainwrinkle.net/games/215 we urgently need 2 more

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Sorry for the lack of updates recently. Thread's not dead, promise! I'll have something posted by tomorrow.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Turn 11:

Short, yet eventful! First things first - See the white flag next to the event notification? That means that there was an invasion and I lost the province. Oh joy oh bliss, like my expansion needed more setbacks.

First battle is pretty simple

We murder some PD, nobody dies, everyone is happy. Diablo extracted his crossbows before we could hit them, which is sad.

Ah yeah that'd do it. I only have 1PD in the majority of my provinces, so this is going to be over pretty quick.

Wolves aren't that scary to any properly organized force, but...

I wouldn't exactly call this "organized".

It goes pretty well how one might expect. That big stack of numbers used to be a Militia.

We kill a surprising amount of wolves, considering that we had precisely dick for troops. Our Noble Commander lasts five rounds in the melee and gets all ten of those kills. A true Fowlland hero :patriot:. We'll have to snag that province back as soon as possible. First off, let's take a look at what's happening up north!

We've found monkee's southern border! We chat on IRC and agree to a NAP until turn 24. I border modpud, and he has no desire to weaken me further in case I'm needed to fight her. I don't mention my existing NAP :ssh:.

Further west, Diablo has consolidated his troops in Avoca.

We'll be hitting that with a joint strike from Plain of Memories and Polson Plains next turn. If he sticks around, he's hosed. He's got about twenty crossbows (good), a couple less atavi archers (garbage) and some frontline chaff. None of those will stand up to the slightest breeze, much less my tuatha. I position my Triarius forward and to the top to draw arrow fire. My Tuatha and Sidhe hang back and further to the bottom. If all goes as planned (and there's really no way it shouldn't), the Triarii should take negligible damage from the crossbows while my mainliners charge up the center unimpeded, pausing only to munch on some chaff. If all goes poorly, he'll pull something out of his un-scouted homeland that I have no answer to, I'll get steamrolled and this will be one hell of a short LP.

Further south is more boring

Our fort-protectors head out to blap those wolves. A scout goes to do scout-things. The only possible danger here is that Libliuni will get opportunistic and we'll bump. I wouldn't lose that fight, so I'm not overly worried.

Finally, here's a look at what the whole map situation looks like right now!

We have garbage intel on our eastern/western neighbours, no territory, and overall a thoroughly unhappy situation. Let's hope this war with Diablo goes well, because if not then there's no way I'm coming back from this.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The thought of an entire province thrown into chaos and rendered ungovernable because of wolves is pretty amusing.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
They ate 150 people before the provincial garrison could rally to the defense, then they ate the provincial garrison. The tax collector was probably just like "yeah gently caress this" and has been staying home ever since then.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
That's why you put at least 10 PD in, god you people I swear. :mad:

Anyway, I kept exploring! I found some site with an event then I scared the spirits involved off like an idiot, rip.

Also Modpud showed up on my borders to my north. That's a little worrying.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

That's why you put at least 10 PD in, god you people I swear. :mad:

That's 55 gold I could use to make 2 sidhe to go invade someone :colbert:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

If it took you more turns to take that shithole back than it takes it to make 55 gold output you done hosed up son. :colbert:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Ah, but the troops I get by *not* paying for PD can do fun things like:

a) not be poo poo militia
b) move

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

ChickenWing posted:

Ah, but the troops I get by *not* paying for PD can do fun things like:

a) not be poo poo militia
b) move

Given that it seems like everybody in this game has enough air to summon birds I kinda want kitfox to be the only one with any non-fort provinces held at some point just so that he can be right once.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

UberJew posted:

Given that it seems like everybody in this game has enough air to summon birds I kinda want kitfox to be the only one with any non-fort provinces held at some point just so that he can be right once.

Like 4 pd can fight off birds. There really isn't any reason to push it up to high levels unless you have a specific reason (need chaff, pumping to counter roaming raiders etc)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

thanks for the vote of confidence uj

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Turn 12:

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the wonderful world of horse poo poo.

Imagine this, but four more times. In total I lose 470 population. As a one time thing, this isn't a big deal - growth scales will pick that back up eventually. The problem is that he can do this every turn if he so chooses, with no fear of reprisal. Oh, and these four raids jacked my cap unrest to :frogsiren:97:frogsiren: . My income is now in the toilet, and I'm 3 unrest away from being completely unable to recruit. Flying raiders are fun! :shepicide:

On a slightly happier note...

We caught his army. Looks like he's got those crossbows and handful of atavi archers we saw, a bunch of PD and some Marverni Bare-chested warriors out front. I don't forsee good things happening to this army, which is good because he's also brought along his prophet!

This is handy. He has the potential to inflict slightly more severe casualties on our troops, but killing him takes down a small amount of Diablo's killing potential. Looking at his various abilities, it seems like he's rocking a bless. Let's take a look.

Boring. Generic high-HP sacred bless, N9E4. It means that any giants or otherwise big troops he can bless will be ridiculously hard to take down. How exciting for us.

In our corner, we've managed to sync up the formations of our two armies reasonably well, and I can't complain about the positioning. Overall, I forsee this battle going just as well as I wanted it to.

...and we're off to the races. My Triarii do an excellent impression of an archery target, eating all those arrows and taking no damage. Diablo's troops continue pelting them uselessly until

My tuatha arrive to save the day! It goes about as well as one might expect.

A Triarius has a heart attack while running all that distance under fire, and otherwise I take zero losses. Despite the fact that the majority of these troops were most likely free (crossbows from an event, atavi/marverni from starting army), this is still a non-trivial reduction in diablo's combat effectiveness and a huge morale boost for me. The only downside is that I didn't manage to snag his prophet, but you can't win them all.

Next up, our southern expansion army takes back the province that the wolves chewed on last turn.

Red shirt dies. Life goes on.

A goon starts a cult. This isn't a huge deal - it's not in my cap, so I'm not worried about the resources, and the domloss is negligible, especially given that this early I'm not worried about enemy dom and I'll be spamming 200g temples in the future anyways.

Not much has changed on the map

[future me: I took really bad screenshots this early on. Don't worry, they get better]

First up, to our south: Nuclearmonkee has taken a province from Lilbuini with sailing tribless Jaguar Warriors. I forsee Lib not being long for this world. I'd be worried too, but I'm still protected by my NAP with monkee, so I've got until the end of year two to figure out a solution.

Looking at Diablo's territory, Gentleman has pushed back on his front. He tells me on IRC that he was able to beat the hell out of Diablo's Dawn Guard, which bodes well for us - we haven't really met a challenge in any of Diablo's troops yet. This was is going rather excellently for us.

In my capital, I attach all my newly recruited Tuatha and Sidhe to my new commander and set them to patrol. I've got to manage the unrest from these flying raiders, and I want to build up enough troops to take the throne to my south as soon as possible.

I finish off my turn by pushing on the northern front:

I don't have much resistance at this point, so I'm not overly worried about splitting my troops up to capture as much territory as possible. Next turn marks the start of year two, so if everything goes well I should hit my one province per turn target that I was really convinced wasn't going to happen any time soon. I divert some of my RP to Conjuration so that I can pick up Summon Storm Power. I'm not sure if I'll end up needing magic in this war, but if I do Storm Power is essential to boost my mages' air magic for maximum thunderstrike, at least once I research evocations 5 for storm.

ChickenWing fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 28, 2014

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Man that's some beardy bullshit and I hope your glorious alliance stomps all over diablo.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

It's about this time Gentleman, to my south, mentions that he's been getting raided to poo poo by that crap too, and his cap is well over 100 unrest. So I do what any upright citizen would and immediately march my expansion army to start stuffing diablo's bug-abusing rear end into the ground with a bunch of chaff and some useless minotaurs. :v:

The fact I was also a neighbor with him had no bearing on this, I promise.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Around the same time, I'm trying to fight the invasion of Dickbuttia, but I'm losing heavily thanks to my great idea of combining standard low-morale troops with poison monsters and monsters with heat aura.

Said troops have no resistances against fire and poison.

So expect heavy snake losses in the next few Dickbutt-posts.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
D4E4N9 bless isn't it?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

garth ferengi, better known as modpud, as The Democratic People's Republic of, Liveaction Anime Boy
Diabl0658 as Belgium, Belgium

Is it just me, or do you have these two flags reversed? Unless you've really been attacking modpud all this time and are secretly trying to confuse us :v:.

On a serious note, I sincerely hope you all stomp Diabl0 into the ground. Given how unstoppable and dickish it is, and that the devs have come out and said it's a bug they're working on fixing, you'd think there'd be some kind of goon agreement that you don't pull that kind of poo poo.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

goatface posted:

D4E4N9 bless isn't it?

The undying is from a throne, d4 bless is undying 5.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I got 99 problems and as a matter of fact abysian pd issues are one

edit: the problem being taking them above 19 on a non-forted province mixes your heat emitting fuckers with the non-resistant poo poo morale plebs. :(

Also, when Diablo was doing this it hadn't officially been announced as a bug yet. But yeah, general consensus now is if you do this poo poo you're a pariah, as well you should be.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

Is it just me, or do you have these two flags reversed? Unless you've really been attacking modpud all this time and are secretly trying to confuse us :v:.

Yeeeeeeeep. I wasn't certain when I wrote the OP and I totally forgot about it since then. Thanks for the catch.

quote:

On a serious note, I sincerely hope you all stomp Diabl0 into the ground. Given how unstoppable and dickish it is, and that the devs have come out and said it's a bug they're working on fixing, you'd think there'd be some kind of goon agreement that you don't pull that kind of poo poo.

Well this was about the time that people were starting to get irate about it. It wasn't really on anybody's radar until our Disciples draft game a while ago wherein Nuclearmonkee, I Love You!, and Hatwer obliterated a bunch of people with sailing ponymen with implementor axes (which give pillage bonus and fear (which makes pillaging more effectve)). Since then, it was just sort of taken as "more ridiculous ~trillwinter~ cheese". Around this time, people were starting to get properly uppity about it, and it's not for a couple more turns that Illwinter finally comes out and says it's a bug.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It's still the kind of thing that would make you flip the table in a home game, though.

The rules don't say I can't, so it's not cheating! Now pick up all the pieces, bitch.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Zaodai posted:

It's still the kind of thing that would make you flip the table in a home game, though.

The rules don't say I can't, so it's not cheating! Now pick up all the pieces, bitch.

Well, it's dominions and goons, so really you go into it expecting the cheesiest poo poo possible.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah, about the only thing that Goons won't stand for is repeated and flagrant treaty violations. Anything short of that (including intermittent or subtle treaty violations) may get you frowned at by some and congratulated by others but it won't get you blacklisted. Though with current attitudes flying raiders will get you a lot more poo poo than any other cheesy nonsense.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
^^^ In regards to this it is good to remember that back when Dominions 3 was the game the official forums were full of grognards whose e-honour was of paramount importance, and the community standard was generally that non-aggression pacts were inviolate in spirit, not only in letter, and that if you planned to attack a former NAP member or former ally then all decency dictated you should give them at least a 3 turn warning so that they could fight you to the best of their ability.

Pretty great community for laughs.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

There's a bit of difference between e-honor diplomacy in a free for all game, and "there's this bug that has literally no counter, I'm going to exploit it to gently caress you all over".

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

How are u posted:

^^^ In regards to this it is good to remember that back when Dominions 3 was the game the official forums were full of grognards whose e-honour was of paramount importance, and the community standard was generally that non-aggression pacts were inviolate in spirit, not only in letter, and that if you planned to attack a former NAP member or former ally then all decency dictated you should give them at least a 3 turn warning so that they could fight you to the best of their ability.

Ah yes, there were a number of people who would bitterly complain when dastardly players would attack them in a 2 v 1 situation. They viewed it as unsporting.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Zaodai posted:

There's a bit of difference between e-honor diplomacy in a free for all game, and "there's this bug that has literally no counter, I'm going to exploit it to gently caress you all over".

Not all goons agree with you.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Neruz posted:

Not all goons agree with you.

Coincidentally some goons are insufferable fucks to play against in Dom4!

EDIT: or interact with in general

EDIT 2: i'm one of them :yikes:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

Three turns sound a bit extreme. A message should go out during the turn your invasion starts at the earliest. Accidentally sending your invasion-memo to the wrong player is just a unexpected bonus. :shrug:

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Libluini posted:

Three turns sound a bit extreme. A message should go out during the turn your invasion starts at the earliest. Accidentally sending your invasion-memo to the wrong player is just a unexpected bonus. :shrug:

Ya the official Dom3 Forums games were absurd in their demand for the following of NAPs. I always viewed them in goon games as a piece of paper that won't really stop anyone... I mean, sometimes it worked out, but Goons play a much more aggressive game than the official forums did. Its one of the reasons that the strategies and guides people posted on the offical forums were not particularly useful in Goon games. We played an aggressive game of blitzing and mass surprise attacks. They would sit around for 20 turns just researching and crafting Gemgen items and then give each other a bunch of notice before attacking...

I remember one Goon game where I started a war by cloud trapezeing thugs into half my opponents provinces just because I was fairly certain if they wanted to expand they would have to go through me, and I was not gonna give them the initiative. I'm fairly sure the official forums would have been crazy mad at me.

Pash fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 26, 2014

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
There is actually something that can be said for having a reputation of sticking to agreements, just make sure that you dont sign agreements you want to break later.
NAP-3 are dumb (seriously, this would bind you forever, and you cannot really predict the game in 30 or so turns from now), truces until turn 20/turn X (X being a number that is well within the parameters of what you can predict) are something quite different.

I also propose going into detail. If you are f.e. conspiring with someone to attack a third person, specify what forces you would commit, roughly when, roughly where. Expect similiar levels of planning from your "partner". This has several positive effects for you:
1: If you and your partner went through the trouble of creating an actually well thought of plan for a mutual invasion, his is far more likely to stick with it becuase, among other things, he invested serious time into it
2: You will get a better feeling if your "partner" is negotiating in good faith with you.
3: Assuming that you manage to appear reasonably competent in proposing what you are going to do as a part of the alliance, you can create an impression of being competent.
4: You can get a lot of implied information on your alliance partner out of that.

The cool thing about Dom 3/4 diplomacy is that you can basically negotiate everything.
I mean, "Toadrain international", "Rent a Horror caster" and other things like that are completely possible.

Heck, there was a game were I bordered Archeolept, we were going to war with each other, discovered that (this was an Faerun disciple game were all nations from all ages were allied with each other, so, EA+MA+LA Ulm vs EA+LA+MA Ryleth and so on) we bordered not one but 2 (mutually allied of course) Ryleths.
Our deal then was that I annoy Ryleth while he leaves me alone (and acutally invades them), which was really hilarious in hindsight.
At one point, Archeo was kind of doubting that I was serious about the harrassment, so I actually considered bribing Ryleth to complain about being harassed by me, only to find a "WTF is this Bullshit, loving MA ULM is attacking me underwater!" message from Ryleth to everyone in the next turns messages. Saved me the money and the potential embarassment.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mightypeon posted:

There is actually something that can be said for having a reputation of sticking to agreements, just make sure that you dont sign agreements you want to break later.
NAP-3 are dumb (seriously, this would bind you forever, and you cannot really predict the game in 30 or so turns from now), truces until turn 20/turn X (X being a number that is well within the parameters of what you can predict) are something quite different.

I also propose going into detail. If you are f.e. conspiring with someone to attack a third person, specify what forces you would commit, roughly when, roughly where. Expect similiar levels of planning from your "partner". This has several positive effects for you:
1: If you and your partner went through the trouble of creating an actually well thought of plan for a mutual invasion, his is far more likely to stick with it becuase, among other things, he invested serious time into it
2: You will get a better feeling if your "partner" is negotiating in good faith with you.
3: Assuming that you manage to appear reasonably competent in proposing what you are going to do as a part of the alliance, you can create an impression of being competent.
4: You can get a lot of implied information on your alliance partner out of that.

The cool thing about Dom 3/4 diplomacy is that you can basically negotiate everything.
I mean, "Toadrain international", "Rent a Horror caster" and other things like that are completely possible.

Heck, there was a game were I bordered Archeolept, we were going to war with each other, discovered that (this was an Faerun disciple game were all nations from all ages were allied with each other, so, EA+MA+LA Ulm vs EA+LA+MA Ryleth and so on) we bordered not one but 2 (mutually allied of course) Ryleths.
Our deal then was that I annoy Ryleth while he leaves me alone (and acutally invades them), which was really hilarious in hindsight.
At one point, Archeo was kind of doubting that I was serious about the harrassment, so I actually considered bribing Ryleth to complain about being harassed by me, only to find a "WTF is this Bullshit, loving MA ULM is attacking me underwater!" message from Ryleth to everyone in the next turns messages. Saved me the money and the potential embarassment.

Yeah, there are a lot of crazy negotiations possible. In Turkish Delight, Vanheim negotiated a ceasefire on behalf of Abysia, which I had invaded with Eriu. Then we suddenly were partners in attacking C'tis, which had become nighmarish large at the point.

At one point I had separate agreements with Jotunheim, then Arco to my east, just to keep the borders calm as long as we were fighting. In the end Vanheim started staling like mad and Abysia went AI, at that point Arco stepped in with indirect assistance. Of course Turkish Delight being an incredible mess, some of that "help" included accidentally teleporting one of my air mages to one of his forts so the poor woman had to fly back across his territory. But that's another story.

(After a certain point I had to take notes to keep up with all this crazy diplomacy-poo poo.)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

And in one game me and nuclear were neighbors from the start as la Abysia and la man and were basically bros from the moment we found each other, including him dropping horror bombs on people invading me and whatnot while I sent him slaves.

He won :v:

Being known as a trustworthy person who keeps their word is a nice thing

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I'm not saying NAPs are bad, I just find the 3 turn warning thing ridiculous, and I find that I don't end up fully trusting people I have NAPs with. Coordinating assaults could be quite useful though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Pash posted:

I'm not saying NAPs are bad, I just find the 3 turn warning thing ridiculous, and I find that I don't end up fully trusting people I have NAPs with. Coordinating assaults could be quite useful though.

It's subjective, really. It's all down to who you're negotiating with, and how much experience you have with them

• Locked thread