Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

After getting a warning from a cop at the entrance to a forest road a few weeks back about insufficient flares I put some new ones on this weekend. I was expecting it to be pretty straightforward but of course my TJ has never had its flares removed before. I ended up having to drill out all the nutserts on the front flares because they had broken free from the metal and were free spinning forever.

I'm happy with the new ones. They are he bushwhacker knockoffs you can get on amazon for ~$300.

Post nutsert victory

Done

I like the look over the stock ones and hopefully won't get hassled by the RCMP any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

kastein posted:

I did a 4" lift in the front of mine and 2.5" in the back since I wanted it to be leveled out. Used 4.5" Rustys leafs and a 2" cast steel lowering block (since MJs are SUA... I didn't want to use lovely alloy lifting/lowering blocks, they're known for cracking) and it was alright except the axle wrap was annoying. If I went over a bridge expansion joint with my foot on the throttle it'd hop and jerk and kick sideways a bit. I ended up taking them out and just went with the 4.5" lift and was happy with it.

There might be better options, like an extended shackle. Unfortunately as I'm sure you're aware a SOA conversion is 5-6" minimum. I think there are a few options for a 2" SUA lift these days but not sure.

It looks like rusty's, rough country and BDS all have a add-a-leaf 3 inch kit for the MJ. But its still 4.5 if you want a full pack.

BDS has a few selections 3/4", 1 3/4", 2" and 3".

Never been a fan of add-a-leaf but There just aren't alot of options for the MJ apparently.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Veeb0rg posted:

Never been a fan of add-a-leaf but There just aren't alot of options for the MJ apparently.

That's putting it nicely. I ended up spending the full amount and getting a set of "stock height" HD springs that still lifted my rear end about 2 inches though "stock height" was relative to factory suspension options and the front is pretty sagged.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Is this one of those Jeep things I don't understand

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Hood louvers = race car

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
The 5.9 had those louvers stock for better cooling. If you tuned that engine up a bit and stripped out the car I bet it would be a lot of fun to hoon around the track.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Because it's a race car...

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

mod sassinator posted:

The 5.9 had those louvers stock for better cooling. If you tuned that engine up a bit and stripped out the car I bet it would be a lot of fun to hoon around the track.

Orvis Edition feature...XJs had them, too.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Astonishing Wang posted:

Because it's a race car...

Doesn't really matter.. any car with live axles, rear wheel drive, and a big honkin American V8 putting out nearly 300hp is going to be fun as hell. Maybe not fast but definitely fun. Just watch that high center of gravity and Jeep suspension in tight turns!

edit: Jesus, with some mods it looks like some people can get 400+ hp from the 5.9L.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 16, 2016

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Went and drove Pilot Rock Truck Trail (2N33) and Deep Creek/Dishpan Springs (3N34) near Crestline/Arrowhead last weekend with Astonishing Wang and a couple of his friends. Pilot Rock was chill and fun, and Deep Creek was less chill and the toughest road I've flogged my poor old XJ over so far. It kind of sucked keeping up with modern Jeeps on 33s/35s in an ancient XJ on 31s but my new front Aussie locker carried me through with a bit of expert spotting and a few new scrapes:

:patriot: also bonus JeepDogge

Obstacle climbing up out of Deep Creek

:cry: my wheelbase

Dude handing me my smashed-off hubcap before I drove over it

Made it up

Parked up at the bottom of Dishpan Springs

Dishpan Springs was a serious obstacle and since it was getting late in the day and it would require a lot of rock-stacking and winching everyone up, we made the smart call and turned back down the way we came. I didn't get a photo of the stretch of trail but this photo from the internet explains our decision.

I had a blast and have new faith in my old Renix Cherokee. Apparently I installed my Aussie locker correctly because it pulled me up over anything I aimed it at with ease. When I got back to my hotel the XJ was suddenly bleeding coolant - turned out the lower radiator hose had backed off a bit at the radiator side somewhere near the end of the day. Fixed it the next morning in the parking lot and whipped it back into LA without further complaint. Good weekend, great people, great time!

Driving down out of the mountains the next morning was... interesting...

Damage status: time for sliders :getin:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I have that exact same damage and had the exact same response. I feel like it's an XJ owner right of passage.

Looks fun! I wish I could've gone - I had other plans and then ended up being laid up with an injury anyway.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Go figure. A while back FCA put out a website to get WJ owners to go through the hitch inspection recall, because they were getting such poo poo take rates on it. The way the form played out, though, if you selected that you had a factory hitch, it didn't tell you to do anything.

Well, fast forward a few months, and when I got my airbag computer replaced, they still had it listed as outstanding for the hitch recall too and marked it as done. Just got a $100 gift card today. :toot:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I've discovered something mighty strange last night with my TJ front marker lights. I recently replaced the stock ones with led markers that came with my new flares. They work fine when the headlight switch is off. When I turn the headlights on the marker lights stop working. The front turn signals however continue to function. I'm presuming this is not working as intended.

I haven't started to trace the wiring harness yet but I thought the markers were just in parallel with the front turn signals.

:psyduck:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

mashed_penguin posted:

I've discovered something mighty strange last night with my TJ front marker lights. I recently replaced the stock ones with led markers that came with my new flares. They work fine when the headlight switch is off. When I turn the headlights on the marker lights stop working. The front turn signals however continue to function. I'm presuming this is not working as intended.

I haven't started to trace the wiring harness yet but I thought the markers were just in parallel with the front turn signals.

:psyduck:

Was there any kind of resistor included with the LED blinkers? I've heard of problems being caused by the low voltage that an LED uses vs the power taken by the standard bulbs. It's not pulling enough for the Jeep to know it's there so it goes wonky. Not sure if that's the cause here, usually the problem is super rapid blinking. There are blinker relays specifically made for LED turn signals.

It could also be your turn signal stalk but if it was fine before the LEDs it's probably not. My stalk has hosed up twice to the point it will turn the fog lights on without pulling them on. I just pulled the fog relay because I'm tired of changing stalks.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That actually does make sense - headlights off, full voltage available, headlights on, less available.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I haven't added any load resistors with them but as you said my understanding was those were to prevent rapid flashing. I still have the regular bulbs in the front turn signals so I think those are providing enough load to prevent that. I guess I'll have a look with a multimeter and see what voltage they are getting when the headlights are on.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

mashed_penguin posted:

I haven't added any load resistors with them but as you said my understanding was those were to prevent rapid flashing. I still have the regular bulbs in the front turn signals so I think those are providing enough load to prevent that. I guess I'll have a look with a multimeter and see what voltage they are getting when the headlights are on.
Unless your marker lights flash (I wouldn't think so, from the description, but I don't own a TJ), that wouldn't apply to them.

LEDs are much more binary in their sensitivity to voltage than incandescent bulbs - rather than just getting dim, they reach a certain point, they just don't turn on. Combining this with your description (putting a big load on the electrical system kills them), I'd be pretty willing to bet that a relay would fix this.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Unless your marker lights flash (I wouldn't think so, from the description, but I don't own a TJ), that wouldn't apply to them.

LEDs are much more binary in their sensitivity to voltage than incandescent bulbs - rather than just getting dim, they reach a certain point, they just don't turn on. Combining this with your description (putting a big load on the electrical system kills them), I'd be pretty willing to bet that a relay would fix this.

So relay directly from the battery with the relay control pin going to the v+ from the existing flasher circuit ?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

mashed_penguin posted:

So relay directly from the battery with the relay control pin going to the v+ from the existing flasher circuit ?
As long as the marker lights are powered by that, yes, perfect.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
What are the specs on these LEDs, for starters? Are they even 12v? Your wiring should be capable of providing 12v to headlights AND markers...it doesn't make sense that there would be a voltage drop-off. It should be 12v LEDs that draw much lower amperage. But since your blinkers aren't flashing quickly, it doesn't look like the Jeep is seeing such a low draw as to trigger a rapid flash.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I'm not sure of their specs. I only tested them on my bench supply at 12v and they light up. I could always see what their cut off voltage is I guess. But they are only 4 LEDs per marker I can't imagine they draw much power.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If they didn't burn out in a split second at 12v, they're good. If they're 3v (likely) then 4 of them wired in series=12v. But probably only drawing 20 mA or so. That's almost 1% of the 3157 bulb's current.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 18, 2016

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

So while I'm waiting on my transmission cooler line to be delievered, I decided to take off the coolant overflow tank since it was dirty looking. This is what I found after taking it off and removing the float.

It felt greasy/oily. On a scale of oh gently caress to meh, how hosed am I? Blown headgasket? PO fuckery by not using HOAT?

Edit: For shits and giggles, here is my radiator cap.

gileadexile fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 18, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I don't know about the problem but those are some really big oily deposits in your overflow tank if you know what I mean. Actually the overflow tank is also really big.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

kastein posted:

I don't know about the problem but those are some really big oily deposits in your overflow tank if you know what I mean. Actually the overflow tank is also really big.

I just changed the oil and it looked alright. I mean, no coolant look or smell. Can't smell anything sweet in the exhaust, it runs fine, it's just all that..stuff..in the cap and overflow. I'm wondering now if I have a poo poo radiator cap, there looks to be yellowish/whitish crusted stuff in a spray pattern in a few places near it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

He's telling you your images are loving huge.

What vehicle/engine are we looking at? I can't keep track of who drives what.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Godholio posted:

He's telling you your images are loving huge.

What vehicle/engine are we looking at? I can't keep track of who drives what.

Sorry, phoneposting, could't tell. Should I use the thumbs setting?

Motor is 4.7, '02 WJ Limited.

I edited the pictures, did using thumbs work?

gileadexile fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 18, 2016

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

gileadexile posted:

I edited the pictures, did using thumbs work?

They are now beautifully not big.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
How big/short of a job is it to replace the motor mounts on a 94 ZJ (5.2)?
I know the transmission mount is pretty easy.

I am currently replacing as many bushings as I can to restore ride quality. I figured the motor mounts are also good candidates for replacement.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Transmission cooler line came in while I was waiting for the rain to quit. It came in bent like this

I guess it was just for packing and I can lay it out beside the old one and bend it correctly, right?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Any tips on getting the stupid c-clips off an old ujoint so I can change it? I managed to brute force one but the other axle just isn't playing along.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Whack the ujoint cap inward before you try. It doesn't take much to free it up. If it's an external-clip ujoint (driveshaft joints) you might mangle the clip with a socket doing this, but it usually helps. Inside-clip ujoints (axle joints and some older Dodge/Chevy driveshaft joints) it's easy.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

kastein posted:

Whack the ujoint cap inward before you try. It doesn't take much to free it up. If it's an external-clip ujoint (driveshaft joints) you might mangle the clip with a socket doing this, but it usually helps. Inside-clip ujoints (axle joints and some older Dodge/Chevy driveshaft joints) it's easy.

d30 shafts. so no external clip.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
hi my name is tactical sandals and i have brain problems

Just bought this '88 Cherokee Pioneer. Body is in decent shape, doesn't seem to have any frame rot somehow, but transmission is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. It has the BA10/5 now and it came with a donor AX15. From what I've seen doesn't seem to be too difficult of a swap? Right? :shepicide:

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Ah jeeps.. ya cant have just one.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

:hfive: Sup '88 Pioneer buddy!

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

hi my name is tactical sandals and i have brain problems

Just bought this '88 Cherokee Pioneer. Body is in decent shape, doesn't seem to have any frame rot somehow, but transmission is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. It has the BA10/5 now and it came with a donor AX15. From what I've seen doesn't seem to be too difficult of a swap? Right? :shepicide:

I had a blue 92 pioneer that looked just like that only in awful shape. I kinda wish I kept it sometimes.

I did the swap. Is your ax15 the internal or external slave?

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

kastein posted:

I did a 4" lift in the front of mine and 2.5" in the back since I wanted it to be leveled out. Used 4.5" Rustys leafs and a 2" cast steel lowering block (since MJs are SUA... I didn't want to use lovely alloy lifting/lowering blocks, they're known for cracking) and it was alright except the axle wrap was annoying. If I went over a bridge expansion joint with my foot on the throttle it'd hop and jerk and kick sideways a bit. I ended up taking them out and just went with the 4.5" lift and was happy with it.

There might be better options, like an extended shackle. Unfortunately as I'm sure you're aware a SOA conversion is 5-6" minimum. I think there are a few options for a 2" SUA lift these days but not sure.

Are the leaf spring specs the same on the MJ and XJ?

e: hurpdurp there's another page

Paulie fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 19, 2016

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

kastein posted:

Dunno if this helped any but the clips popped off with minimal fuss.

How important are those outer axle slinger things? I wanged one pretty hard with the minisledge getting the joints out.
http://catalog.foothilloffroad.com/product_info.php?products_id=1797

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I dunno. I've always just sorta bent them back into shape if I damaged them.

The inner axle dust shields on the other hand I usually throw out along with the brake dust shields.