Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

i have a new thinkpad

i'll be able to test this soon because the fingerprint reader is no longer recognized. it's either broken or loose cabling inside, and i'm 'sure as hell not goign to be disassembling a brand new machine

i had a keycap break on my t440s and they mailed me a new keyboard with replacement instructions. it only took 5 mins and 6 identical screws because thinkpad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

better than being stuffed in a barrel by the kraft peanut butter bears

dear god

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

no. we get that, there's just this thing where no one remembers how dicey the first iPhone was and we're reminding them

and some of us do remember how dicey it was. but we were arguing about it changing the market for smartphones, which fismeching aside, it did.

it's like the internet memory hole has erased winmo and early symbian. everybody goes lol android, apparently forgetting that even android was an improvement over what was on the market up to 2007

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Mr. Glass posted:

i'm from the west coast and a lot of people out there seem to think pgh is either (a) philadelphia or (b) dirty and dangerous
but you repeat yourself lol

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

infernal machines posted:

and some of us do remember how dicey it was. but we were arguing about it changing the market for smartphones, which fismeching aside, it did.

it's like the internet memory hole has erased winmo and early symbian. everybody goes lol android, apparently forgetting that even android was an improvement over what was on the market up to 2007

winmo, palm, and symbian were all unambiguously better than pre-app store iphone hth

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

winmo, palm, and symbian were all unambiguously better than pre-app store iphone hth

lol

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
boy i sure love being able to use this marginally better web browser with 150 kilobit connection!!! - an original iphone user

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
palm and winmo both had completely useless web browsers. just garbage. it didn't matter that you had 3g because the browser itself was so slow and broken and hard to use.

they were really great PDAs though.

early iphone was the opposite. unprecedentedly great web experience. totally useless as a pda.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i used to use some program (i think it was called plucker??) to download web sites to my handspring visor so i could read them on the bus

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
ah yes the great web experience of EDGE with crappy reception on a tiny screen when there were 0 websites adapted to it, and this was also supposed to replace all apps. truly the iphone was web browsing's ambrosia.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

do not engage

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I had the first version of the iPhone and it suited my needs pretty fuckin hard. every iPhone since has been superior so my only complaint would be that I didn't know my needs could be suited so hard

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

yeah the ramping of needs suiting has made me realize how little self awareness i have for physical + spirital needs. I have since turned to TM and the Buddha and hope to find answers there

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bassguitarhero posted:

I had the first version of the iPhone and it suited my needs pretty fuckin hard. every iPhone since has been superior so my only complaint would be that I didn't know my needs could be suited so hard

so your needs were: lovely phone that played itunes drm music. great.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

so your needs were: phone that played music
needs status: suited

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bassguitarhero posted:

needs status: suited

so you should have just bought a motorola ROKR, noted.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
~in this thread we observe how many times the fishcmech will change the argument to find one he can win~

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

~in this thread we observe how many times the fishcmech will change the argument to find one he can win~

i have already won multiple times over.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

maybe i just had strange friends but the original iphone coming loaded with google maps seemed to be the killer feature everyone i know who had one made use of the most.

or maybe that's just what I saw them using the most because they would use it when we were wandering around and trying to find a place in the city.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

i have already won multiple times over.

lol, i get that this is basically a biological imperative for you at this point, but no you didn't

the OG iphone changed the smartphone market, by literally any metric you care to apply.

there were a lot of things wrong with it, subsequent models were much better, and the alternatives we're better at being "smartphones"*, and it still changed the smartphone market

pull your head from america's smartest rear end and just concede. or you know, stop posting

*by the contemporary definition anyway

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shifty Pony posted:

maybe i just had strange friends but the original iphone coming loaded with google maps seemed to be the killer feature everyone i know who had one made use of the most.

or maybe that's just what I saw them using the most because they would use it when we were wandering around and trying to find a place in the city.

google maps, but no gps until the iphone 3g.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

the OG iphone changed the smartphone market, by literally any metric you care to apply.

absolutely 100% wrong. i get it, you're dumb, stop repeating it over and over.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
the original iphone, liek the original ipod, sold barely anything, wasn't functional for most people at all, and would be called a failure by people like you if it had any other brand name slapped on it. hth.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

absolutely 100% wrong. i get it, you're dumb, stop repeating it over and over.

http://www.economist.com/node/9443542

feel free to list any other smartphone product that generated this level of public interest, sales, sales to first time smartphone buyers, revenue, or total units sold

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Google maps on iPhone owned, iPod app owned, web browser on edge was slow but owned, all poo poo I never had before

Nintendo Kid posted:

so you should have just bought a motorola ROKR, noted.

ROKR is a great example of how lovely phone UI was before iPhone

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

http://www.economist.com/node/9443542

feel free to list any other smartphone product that generated this level of public interest, sales, sales to first time smartphone buyers, revenue, or total units sold

oh yeah i remember the blogosphere and the blogstorms that would happen there and be reported as news to boomers

back when i had a blackberry pearl and broke the clit on it

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

every samsung phone since 2010

but hey keep admitting you're too stupid to understand things, infernal machines. i'm sure if you widh hard enough your idiot idol who suicided by cancer will praise you for trying to convince people the original ipohone wasn't a piece of crap with minimal actual impact to the world.

bassguitarhero posted:

Google maps on iPhone owned, iPod app owned, web browser on edge was slow but owned, all poo poo I never had before

ROKR is a great example of how lovely phone UI was before iPhone
yeah, because it mimicked itunes.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh yeah i remember the blogosphere and the blogstorms that would happen there and be reported as news to boomers

by his own standards pets.com and flooz constitute massive successes and great products, lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

Nearly 1.4 million iPhones were sold in the first three months of its existence.
http://www.cnet.com/news/when-iphone-met-world-7-years-ago-today/

crowd outside the new york apple store on launch day

but surely, there must be hundreds dozens at least one example you can cite of any other smartphone from any manufacturer that generated these kinds of numbers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

every samsung phone since 2010

timetravel is fun and all, but samsung can't retroactively redefine a market. since the iphone was launched in 2007, and that's what we're talking about, they would have had to have that level of success, get this, before 2007

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

but surely, there must be hundreds dozens at least one example you can cite of any other smartphone from any manufacturer that generated these kinds of numbers

all the other phones sold in that time period, you colossal moron.

the only people who care about what specific model sells the most are desperate apple defenders from the mid 80s to today.

sorry that you can't admit the original iphone sucked, someday you'll grow up and get a real phone like the normal population.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

timetravel is fun and all, but samsung can't retroactively redefine a market. since the iphone was launched in 2007, and that's what we're talking about, they would have had to have that level of success, get this, before 2007

iphone didn't define a market in 2007 or ever.

the rdf doesn't work when stebe is dead, friend. :)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

but hey keep admitting you're too stupid to understand things, infernal machines. i'm sure if you widh hard enough your idiot idol who suicided by cancer will praise you for trying to convince people the original ipohone wasn't a piece of crap with minimal actual impact to the world.

this isn't about steve, or apple, or whatever. i dgaf about apple

this is about you digging in on a position you are oh-so-wrong about and getting called on it, you obtuse bastard

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
in this thread: apple fans desperately rolling out the same poo poo as people who insist occupy was successful

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

all the other phones sold in that time period, you colossal moron.

the only people who care about what specific model sells the most are desperate apple defenders from the mid 80s to today.

goddamn, watch those goalposts go!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

this isn't about steve, or apple, or whatever. i dgaf about apple

this is about you digging in on a position you are oh-so-wrong about and getting called on it, you obtuse bastard

my position is called reality. the only person digging is you, who is flagrantly misrendering 2007 and 2008 to meet your idiot worship.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

wish u would take your own advice

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

goddamn, watch those goalposts go!

yes, your goalposts have shifted wildly, while mine haven't moved. you accidentally forgot to quote your own posts though!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
itt infernal machines has become a living avatar of the silicon valley mentality.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so this is how fishmech loses a factual argument, with name calling and crying?

son, i am dissapointed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
has anyone desecrated the name of palm yet itt

• Locked thread