Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Fart of Presto posted:

The kickstarter for Paradise Lost: First Contact is up and running.

While the title of this game is as generic as it can get, I really like the graphics style. Reminds me of Confederate Express, Hyper Light Drifter and all those other games that finally figured out how to do decent sprite graphics on limited budget, without going all-out Minecraft or Habbo Hotel.

The description says: "Take the role of an alien plant and escape from a hostile scientific facility, full of secrets and dangerous experiments."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP66bmLqRTg

This looks pretty cool, and early bird is $9. Also I'm pretty sure one of the other plant subjects is Audrey II from "Little Shop of Horrors" :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Its Americanized slang. Yes, that's where it came from. English borrows a lot from other languages, and is constantly adding new stupid words.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The main problem with games that promise "You can do anything, be anyone!" though isn't feature creep - because feature creep requires having features in the first place. Promising "You can do anything!" really isn't saying anything about the game, because it's so vague. If you describe freedom in an actual games, you usually say things like "You can kill any character without breaking the plot!" or "You can build huge imposing structures!". Those are statements that imply actual gameplay.

That's a good point. Not so much 'having too many ideas' as 'having no real concrete ideas at all'

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 2, 2013

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fart of Presto posted:

While the title of this game is as generic as it can get, I really like the graphics style. Reminds me of Confederate Express, Hyper Light Drifter and all those other games that finally figured out how to do decent sprite graphics on limited budget, without going all-out Minecraft or Habbo Hotel.

The description says: "Take the role of an alien plant and escape from a hostile scientific facility, full of secrets and dangerous experiments."

Neat.

Too bad I have my doubts about the success of this getting funded, but who knows.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If ya'll haven't seen it, these are the stretch goals for Confederate Express

I'll have to see what my situation is like after I get paid before I can donate myself, but I'd like for things get to at least character customization. A Confederate storyline sounds like it could be cool, too.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It goes without saying but RimWorld just funded at 268,132 CAD of a $20,000 CAD goal. And that's without any stretch goals attached to the campaign!

Certainly one of the best kickstarters I've seen in terms of promises, expectations, and campaign communication.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Alright, Rimworld completed and I've already pledged to Confederate Express and SCALE. I don't think there's anything else I would want to-

Fart of Presto posted:

:shepspends: gently caress, right in the wallet.

Speaking of SCALE, they posted an update tonight featuring video of SCALE played on Halloween:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITKhlDZ2Iwk

$20k to go with 14 days remaining, I think they should be in solid shape to reach their goal if the pace keeps up.

Midrena
May 2, 2009
Yay Rimworld! So glad how that KS turned out -- I hope the game is just as awesome as I think it is. :) (Also, anyone who missed the KS can still pledge on the Rimworld website and pay through Paypal).

Fart of Presto posted:

This looks great. The gameplay reminds me of Mark of the Ninja, which I enjoyed immensely.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Is there a reason why Between Me and the Night is languishing with $766 of $70000 after the first week? At first glance it looks pretty cool to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF855cJJujc

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/between-me-and-the-night

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Modus Pwnens posted:

Is there a reason why Between Me and the Night is languishing with $766 of $70000 after the first week? At first glance it looks pretty cool to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF855cJJujc

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/between-me-and-the-night

I don't know. The stuff that they put out there really did not intrigue me. I don't like their graphics too.

Indiegogo is a factor, I believe.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Modus Pwnens posted:

It looks neat stylistically but I'm still left with a pretty foggy idea of what the game is actually supposed to be.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
It takes almost a minute to get to anything that even remotely looks like a game, and I still couldn't tell you what the game actually is. Cerebral / avante garde is not the tone to strike when you're dealing with internet attention spans.

Between the terrible video and IndieGoGo - "that's why." It's got cool style, but I have no clue whatsoever what that is trying to be beyond "stylish."

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I kind of have the same question about The Last Cargo. I mean playing a guy confined to a wheelchair while trying not to die seems pretty horrifying to me.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-last-cargo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_0vM-JI-3U

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
drat what's with all the dark / creepy / horror games lately? :ohdear: I know it's Halloween but where's my happy colorful joyrides into funtown?

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 2, 2013

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Mainstream "Horror" games are mostly like Dead Space these days (in that they're just shooters with weirder looking monsters and lots of blood on the walls), so people are trying to fill in the game.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Shalinor posted:

It takes almost a minute to get to anything that even remotely looks like a game, and I still couldn't tell you what the game actually is. Cerebral / avante garde is not the tone to strike when you're dealing with internet attention spans.

Between the terrible video and IndieGoGo - "that's why." It's got cool style, but I have no clue whatsoever what that is trying to be beyond "stylish."

I thought that crowdfunding would finally allow my Portuguese countrymen to finally create an actual games industry but it seems I am mistaken.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Harminoff posted:

I kind of have the same question about The Last Cargo. I mean playing a guy confined to a wheelchair while trying not to die seems pretty horrifying to me.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-last-cargo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_0vM-JI-3U

A survival horror where you're confined to a wheelchair does sound pretty cool.

But then you get to the first paragraph of their description

quote:

This is not another game aimed at scaring you for no purpose. Its main theme is the general problem of indoctrination, especially religious one. We would like to share with you our feelings on how it is to be an atheist in a world full of countless beliefs. We also would like to manifest our disapproval of early enforcement of beliefs on young people. That is why the main character of our game found himself, already as an adult, in a critical spot. Despite having been raised in a religious and orthodox family, his uncompromising and curious nature led him to undertake a difficult task.

Their game is some weird political/religious commentary where the wheelchair is a symbol of the main character's atheism and... I don't really know. It's kind of a mixed message, and makes it hard for me to be super excited to donate. And I'm an atheist. I'm just not an overly obsessed one.

Though if they really want funding, they should just go full on "atheism vs religion" and advertise it on reddit and make millions.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Those guys seem to really want to make games but they honestly need to start out smaller and have other jobs on the side first. Enamel, despite being Greenlit, is never coming out and the prospects for that game are dismal as well. Not being able to finish a "2D STALKER" for your first game is understandable because hey guess what STALKER is complicated and dense but trying to sell people on a weird horror game where brand new devs try to teach you about theology is an even worse idea.

They seriously need to sit back, evaluate why they want to make games in the first place and just get something out the door without trying to make it some magnum opus.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fart of Presto posted:

Man, this is the most generic-est name ever. My eyes instantly glazed over this post and the replies the first time around. It does look cool, though.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Hyper Light Drifter combat video is up. (I think it may be for backers only.)

While the music and art design are fantastic, I want to call out the lighting here - over the course of the video a "spotlight" forms on the protagonist. I only caught it towards the end ("was that always there?") and it's a terrific touch.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

monster on a stick posted:

Hyper Light Drifter combat video is up. (I think it may be for backers only.)

While the music and art design are fantastic, I want to call out the lighting here - over the course of the video a "spotlight" forms on the protagonist. I only caught it towards the end ("was that always there?") and it's a terrific touch.

I think what you are seeing is maybe a day-night cycle and the "spotlight" is the light radius at night?
I really don't see it early in the video. Just as well, I'd hate a permanent spotlight.

The video is public on youtube, so I don't think I'd be runining everything by posting it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu9w5P_7apA

EDIT: The update is public anyway.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I didn't back HLD, but if it plays anywhere near as well as it looks like it does when it comes out, it's going to be fantastic.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I like the bloody footprints when he steps in the enemies' blood.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So Skyjacker is struggling. 19 days to go in their latest go at Kickstarter with only $25,000 raised. It's kind of a shame because I liked the game from the beginning but I guess its just not that interesting to enough people.

But I think they just completely scuttled any chance they had with their latest update:

quote:

Hello Backers,

No doubts many of you will be enjoying Ender's Game feature film in movie theaters this weekend. Orson Scott Card, who is a proud father of five, writer, speaker and just a great human who had influence on our upbringing by Ender's Game book, published back in 1985.

They're a Ukraine developer so I'm guessing they aren't all that familiar with Card beyond Ender's Game. Still just about the worst thing you could say when you're asking for money from the internet though.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Kibayasu posted:

So Skyjacker is struggling. 19 days to go in their latest go at Kickstarter with only $25,000 raised. It's kind of a shame because I liked the game from the beginning but I guess its just not that interesting to enough people.

But I think they just completely scuttled any chance they had with their latest update:

They're a Ukraine developer so I'm guessing they aren't all that familiar with Card beyond Ender's Game. Still just about the worst thing you could say when you're asking for money from the internet though.

Jesus, just alter the message if you haven't kept up to date on what a hateful person he is. Or do this I guess:

quote:

We cannot judge and qualify anyone on being a great human or not. The comment was simply made to a great book that we loved when we were teens. Having said that, lets agree on something here: anyone who has raised five kids cold be a great father or mother dispute his/her sexuality, sex, race, age, religion, political views simply because each of the five kids will have diverse views on the world and bring different values.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

I want to call out the lighting here - over the course of the video a "spotlight" forms on the protagonist. I only caught it towards the end ("was that always there?") and it's a terrific touch.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I like the bloody footprints when he steps in the enemies' blood.

If I'm not wrong, the 'spotlight' is the player's vision going dark at the edges (notice the quiet heartbeat in the background) and the 'footprints' are the drifter bleeding out. What I'm saying is, dev sucks at their own game :v:

Ed: In fairness, maybe the player took the hits intentionally to demonstrate the mechanic.

Rivensteel fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 3, 2013

krebbed flam
Mar 10, 2013
I'm curious what's going on with Hero U. The only information I can find on the first couple of pages of Google is that there WAS a Kickstarter, and the email updates don't really offer any sort of transparency about any of the technical aspects of what they're working on. They seem to almost entirely be about amounts of money, other Kickstarters, and Hero U merchandise.

I thought that after a year everything would be nailed down and easily demonstrable. I'm still foggy about how the basic gameplay is going to go! I was hoping that the official forum would offer some clear cut answers, but apparently it's been hacked and they didn't even know about it. The teaser footage that they released is an Aha, gotcha! Sierra bullshit death. Is this a roguelike? A point and click adventure game? Turn based grid combat? This is intriguing poo poo.

Another thing that raises a few eyebrows to me is that the descriptions of the production and the budget that have come through that sound really depressing. I'm not clear on any of this, but there was something about losing some of the programmers, choosing the wrong game engine, having to start over from scratch, unpaid part time development, I really don't know. I guess the Coles got a freaking home equity loan to help fund the project. They seem so... optimistic about this all.

I'd really like to know what other people thought about this because the seems like quite the kind of pageantry that's inherent with Kickstarter, and I was wondering if anybody else felt the same way.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
I haven't been following Hero U closely, but the last project update said that a playable demo would be released next week, so it's probably worth waiting to see how that turns out.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Jesus, just alter the message if you haven't kept up to date on what a hateful person he is. Or do this I guess:

Pretty sure you can't edit updates, so if you gently caress one up it's there to stay

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

krebbed flam posted:

I'd really like to know what other people thought about this because the seems like quite the kind of pageantry that's inherent with Kickstarter, and I was wondering if anybody else felt the same way.
What you are saying is more or less on the spot. Apparently, they expected to raise more money than their basic goal, and quite likely they had a very vague idea of what they wanted to do and how to do it, so they had problems with everything. It's kind of like the DFA situation, only DFA was honest about having no idea what adventure they were making, and then proceeded to design something way bigger than the quite big funding they got could support.

The Hero-U teaser is directly reminiscent of the original Hero Quest:So You Want to Be a Hero (or Quest for the Glory 1) and its Thief's "nocturnal activities" in the city. You would lock-pick and enter people's houses, and try to be sneaky about stealing their stuff. Picking on a vase or a canary more than once or twice would result in alerting the owners leading to a "Uh-oh you got caught! Restore or Restart" dialogue. I suppose the "death" in the teaser scene is justified in a similar manner.

I do like the art and that it shows many similarities with the QFTG games. I don't like the sense I get that they have accomplished little in one year since the KS ended, or that they still haven't tackled issues like the combat mechanics.

The Demo will be focused around this scene too. My understanding is that it's gonna be very small and showcase basic interactions, and maybe the dialogue system and game menus (combat testing is scheduled for the end of the year- so no combat). It probably won't wow anybody; they'll just prove that they are working on something concrete, albeit very basic thus far.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)

Wow, that looks really drat rotten. I don't even know where to start.
Two backgrounds that wouldn't look out of place in a Newgrounds game, bad Flash animation, not even basic UI design done...
Given the timed music, water effect and one-scene nature of it all, I strongly assume they have nothing and the entire video was made in Flash or Movie Maker or something like that.

Spring 2014? I'd be very surprised.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Does anyone have the link to the blog run by the Sealark creator? I was looking at my list of backed projects, and of the 11 I've backed, only three has actually resulted in some product yet (That Doug TenNaple book, Leisure Suit Larry and Great Giana Sisters).
Some I know are more ambitious, like Project Destiny and Tides of Numenara, but I had actually pegged Sealark for a game which sould have been finished around now.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Iacen posted:

Does anyone have the link to the blog run by the Sealark creator?

http://clairvoire.tumblr.com/

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

This is what started ringing alarm bells for me:

Hero-U update 44 posted:

Planning a Kickstarter-based project is hard. You have to guess where to set the goal and what you will actually receive. Lori and I started working on Hero-U in July of 2013. Based on our past projects and those of Brawsome, I came up with a pretty good estimate of the project's cost. There was only one problem – It came out to $550,000 and we knew it would be very hard to raise that much on Kickstarter. We instead set our goal at $400,000 and successfully closed at $409,150. This makes us #81 on the list of "Top 100 Crowdfunded Companies" according to Entrepreneur Magazine, but it is a fraction of the budget of any of our previous games. We added another $23,000 via PayPal.

After funding costs and rewards we've promised to backers, $275,000 of the $432,000 gross became available for the actual game development. Coincidentally, that's almost exactly one-half of my original estimate.

In other words, they knowingly set the goal $150,000 below their actual cost estimate, then on top of that they completely ignored taxes and reward costs. So they ended up with literally half the money they first thought they needed to make the game. I haven't been following their forums, but if they have other fuckups on top of that - and switching engines halfway through the project is always a major fuckup - then I might as well have just taken :20bux: out of my wallet and set fire to it. A home equity loan isn't going to fix a hole in the budget that large unless they live in a mansion.

Honestly if they hadn't just staked their house on the project I would just consider this naked fraud.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Man, I completely forgot about Hero U. I think I was interested at first, but got cold feet when I began to suspect that the Coles, nice folks that I'm sure they are, really didn't have much idea of what they were doing this time around. :(

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
City of Titans finished with $600,000.

I don't understand this world.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Carecat posted:

People are dumb and donate based on wishful thinking.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Carecat posted:

At least the train wreck might be interesting to follow :shobon:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Iacen posted:

At least the train wreck might be interesting to follow :shobon:

That's what I'm hoping.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

pumpinglemma posted:

This is what started ringing alarm bells for me:

In other words, they knowingly set the goal $150,000 below their actual cost estimate, then on top of that they completely ignored taxes and reward costs. So they ended up with literally half the money they first thought they needed to make the game. I haven't been following their forums, but if they have other fuckups on top of that - and switching engines halfway through the project is always a major fuckup - then I might as well have just taken :20bux: out of my wallet and set fire to it. A home equity loan isn't going to fix a hole in the budget that large unless they live in a mansion.

Honestly if they hadn't just staked their house on the project I would just consider this naked fraud.

"We didn't know you actually wanted the merch we promised!"

Although to be fair, I don't know how you'd put that into your necessary funding totals. If you have a $15 tier which is just the game plus emails, that's like money straight towards development, but a $60 tier probably has $30 worth of merch and manhours taken out of it, but still counts towards the total raised.

Edit: Aside from not promising expensive merch and having a reasonably high total goal, that is. You know, the idiot proof solutions.

Double edit: Or limit the number of higher-tier backing slots available, and price your total based on every one of those diminished returns rewards being bought. Ok, now I get how a kickstarter works.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Cheekio posted:

"We didn't know you actually wanted the merch we promised!"

Although to be fair, I don't know how you'd put that into your necessary funding totals. If you have a $15 tier which is just the game plus emails, that's like money straight towards development, but a $60 tier probably has $30 worth of merch and manhours taken out of it, but still counts towards the total raised.

What do you mean 'how to put it towards your funding totals'?

You figure out what you need to make the game, figure out how much the merchandise costs, then price upper tiers accordingly. YOu just make sure that with every tier you're not losing out on some large percentage of profit.

A = game dev costs
B = associated merchandise costs
C = associated fees/taxes
A1 + (A2 + B) + C = Kickstarter goal