Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Why is this so complicated for everyone?

AJ was champion, beat everyone, got cocky. Paige used flattery and AJ's hubris to get her to hastily put her title on the line. Paige was champion, beat everyone, got cocky. AJ used flattery and Paige's hubris to get her to hastily put her title on the line. Now Paige is trying to do the exact same thing again, only it's lasting longer than one single Raw segment because they're building a PPV match out of it.

Yeah they could be writing women better but this is nothing new. It's still not a difficult concept to grasp. I get it and I'm not even jumping through hoops to logic it into place.

Sanguinia posted:

If any show could use some of the extra build time that axing Battleground would provide it's Survivor Series, that show's been awful for years which is sad because it used to be a Big 4 show for a reason rather than being grandfathered.

100% on board with bringing back Backlash, it was one of my favorites. They should turn Hell in a Cell into Breaking Point, that was a great show.
Submission-based PPV is interesting, except that nobody gets a submission built up until the month of the show because they never plan ahead. Otherwise I'd agree. A lot of upper midcard guys don't really have one though, and I hate that last minute finisher stuff. Remember when Batista pulled a Rings of Saturn out of his rear end for about a month?

[edit]Though to be fair, Orton did that reverse Boston Crab once and it owned. I wish he kept using it. He's one of the only long-time WWE title contenders who doesn't have one.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'm fine with Brock as de facto face until such a time as a face the crowd is actually behind shows up to face him. Which would be Rock or D-Bry. Either sound good to me.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Cardboard Box posted:

I kinda stopped paying attention to the thread, did people complain when cena won the main event even though it was a foregone conclusion and really the only thing that makes sense right now

AlmightyPants posted:

Is there anyone over the age of 12 not rooting for Brock to beat Cena next month? For almost half the audience, Brock is the face. That's really odd considering that he beat the streak in order to get super heel heat.

Tr33 posted:

I legit love John Cena and will cheer for him, but theres no way Brock should lose after killing Taker.

This ring is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The ropes are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their squashes and burials will foam up about their waists and all the jobbers and refs will look up and shout "Save us!" and I'll look down and whisper "Rapadoo."

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-wrestlers.html

Welp...

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Posting a daily mail link is more or less the adult news equivalent of posting a LordsofPain link regarding industry rumors. If they "report" on something it's because they want it to be newsworthy, not because it is newsworthy. We'll see how it shakes out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Daily Mail will dive on anything it can use to stir up a bit of controversy and get some cheap hits for themselves. The WWE were very disrespectful to use that as part of their story, and the story as a whole is generally distasteful but Daily Mail using that distaste to get themselves a bit of screen time feels like it's just a tiny bit worse.

Both companies should have respect and not use the suffering of innocents as cheap hooks for ad revenue or ticket sales, but that's not the way of the world I guess.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

But I thought Plan C was Cesaro

Plan Cesaro... :(

DingoSlasher
Jul 25, 2013

It's a day job.
Jericho winning made me cry.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

DingoSlasher posted:

Break the (tear) ducts dooooooooooooooooooooooooooown

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DingoSlasher posted:

That made no sense to me at all. Other than that I quite liked the PPV - it was also nice to see a relatively good Divas Title match even if it was pretty botchy. It warmed my heart to hear the crowd go from chanting for CM Punk to dueling chants for AJ and Paige :)

DingoSlasher
Jul 25, 2013

It's a day job.
Oh and Miz winning the IC made me cry too because that means Kofi isn't going to get be a 5 TIME, 5 TIME IN-TERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION THIS YEAR.

Unless he continues his feud from when he slapping Miz so hard his wig splits.

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

Say, do you take your mask off when you go to the bathroom?

I imagine that's not an airplane but a submarine. Brock Lesnar is sealed away in an underwater prison, the pressure of the ocean the only thing that can keep his power at bay.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Happyman posted:

I imagine that's not an airplane but a submarine. Brock Lesnar is sealed away in an underwater prison, the pressure of the ocean the only thing that can keep his power at bay.

Satellite imagery of Brock's "home"

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Happyman posted:

If you listen to the Heyman episode of Jericho podcast, Paul explains that Brock legitimately hates people. He lives on a farm 16 miles away from his closest neighbor and the only phone he has is in a barn a mile away from the main house. If he wants to actually talk to someone, he gives them a time to call and drives to the barn to take it.

The whole episode is great and has Edge as a co anchor.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Why is this so complicated for everyone?

Because the writing is terrible and Paige is even worse at acting so no one can tell the difference between her being sincere or sarcastic.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

How does he give them the time to call if they need the time to call in order to talk to him?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

oldpainless posted:

How does he give them the time to call if they need the time to call in order to talk to him?

Email

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

oldpainless posted:

I like to imagine Brock answers the phone like Liam Neeson everytime someone calls him.

:phone:: Hello is this Mr. Lesnar? We're just wanting to call you today abo-
:stare:: I don't know who you are, I don't know what you want, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will F-5 you.

Only more awkward and occasionally screeching.

Also after sleeping on it, good opener, liked the main, but no couldn't recommend Battleground.

EDIT: Bah gawd I just remembered Kane's acting last night, EVERYONE needs to see that!

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 21, 2014

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I like that Slater is getting face pops for absolutely no reason. Dude just wants to rock out, win, lose or, draw. (Mostly lose)

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I really don't think this show was noticeably worse than Extreme Rules. Neither was a great show, but each had at least two pretty good matches. I think everyone's overreacting to the supposed poor booking (Jericho beating Wyatt will lead to Wyatts beating up Jericho, leading to a gimmick match of some sort; Miz's got a halfway decent heel character going, so they're going to give him the belt; Rollins leaves the arena because of any of the reasons J-Ru laid out) and is more mad that their favorite rasslemans didn't win.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Miz is such a great heel that the crowd just died after he beat Ziggler, to the point where Cena faced off with Reigns and no one gave a crap. WWE.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Writer Cath posted:

I like that Slater is getting face pops for absolutely no reason. Dude just wants to rock out, win, lose or, draw. (Mostly lose)

But he is a face. He turned after his 3MB buddies got fired. :smith:

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

WWE thoroughly squandered two of my favorite wrestlers going today (Cesaro and Wyatt). At this point I just hope Cesaro is being paid well because I've given up all hope that they're ever gonna push him. And if Bray doesn't start getting some big wins fast then he's as good as dead.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I really enjoyed Cesaro & Kofi's spots in the battle royal.

I did not enjoy Cesaro being eliminated by Heath Slater, only to have Slater immediately be eliminated too.

It's so dumb to give someone a big surprise elimination and then have him chucked out too right away. WWE does it all the time though, that was a really poorly booked match.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Podcasts with Paul Heyman (seriously, listen to these)

The Steve Austin Show, Pt 1

The Steve Austin Show, Pt 2

Talk is Jericho, Pt 1 (w/ Edge)

Talk is Jericho, Pt 2 (w/ Edge)

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Yeah, I didn't even remember until just now but Cesaro had been losing a whole lot before the PPV. I figured that meant he was winning the title. Nope, tossed out by Heath Slater. Either this is leading to a quick and dirty babyface turn soon (like tonight) or loving hell.

Save_Us.Dbry

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
For some reason I see them having Lesnar destroy Cesaro tonight (since Cena won't be there), but then Cesaro never turns face or anything and just goes back to losing to Big E next week.

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AtGjSJk0l4

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Cesaro thing almost comes across like someone made a bet that they could get someone really over, give them to Heyman and still find a way to make nobody care about them anymore.

There's so little chance that what has happened could've happened organically that it really has to be incredibly intentional.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Well, Steph notoriously hates Heyman. Or did.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

The Cesaro thing almost comes across like someone made a bet that they could get someone really over, give them to Heyman and still find a way to make nobody care about them anymore.

You mean like Ryback?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

sportsgenius86 posted:

There's so little chance that what has happened could've happened organically that it really has to be incredibly intentional.

On the one hand, given WWE's booking team, there is that saying about never attributing to malice what can be explained by mere stupidity.

On the other hand, given the displays of pettiness that have been shown in the past by nearly everyone at the top of things in WWE, I generally don't doubt any tales of "<top WWE person> buried <talent> because <stupid reason>" anymore when they crop up.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

On the one hand, given WWE's booking team, there is that saying about never attributing to malice what can be explained by mere stupidity.

On the other hand, given the displays of pettiness that have been shown in the past by nearly everyone at the top of things in WWE, I generally don't doubt any tales of "<top WWE person> buried <talent> because <stupid reason>" anymore when they crop up.

They're absolutely not above complete and total pettiness. My problem in attributing this situation to pettiness is that I cannot even fathom a reason why you'd be petty toward Cesaro.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Sting has bad matches and Undertaker can't carry him. I want Sting and Jhon Cena as the new Blade Runners.

Why not have Sting debut at a Royal Rumble or Elimination Chamber, where he can hide any rust/weaknesses by only throwing out high spots, and use any elimination/shenanigans to set up a WrestleMania match?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Red posted:

Why not have Sting debut at a Royal Rumble or Elimination Chamber, where he can hide any rust/weaknesses by only throwing out high spots, and use any elimination/shenanigans to set up a WrestleMania match?

Because you don't build to a Sting Wrestlemania match by blowing the reaction in a convoluted match he'll lose.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Daniel Bryan posted:

Yeah, I didn't even remember until just now but Cesaro had been losing a whole lot before the PPV. I figured that meant he was winning the title. Nope, tossed out by Heath Slater. Either this is leading to a quick and dirty babyface turn soon (like tonight) or loving hell.

Save_Us.Dbry

Cesaro has lost pretty much every match since teaming up with Heyman. It's one of the more bizarre decisions to start with. When he first teamed with Heyman I thought ok, he's suddenly going to be heel even though he was getting over as the babyface in The Real Americans, well he's with Heyman so lets see where this goes. Instead he shows up with Heyman, Heyman mentions the Undertaker for some cheap heat and Cesaro just goes on to lose.

I don't feel like this is leading to much of anything at all other than midcard status. Then, the Heel of The Real Americans is swiftly turned face in something out of the 80s. It's fun, but as a Brit the whole 'America is the best' thing just jives with the worst parts of the Hulkamania era.

Basically, Swagger is Duggan now.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

They're absolutely not above complete and total pettiness. My problem in attributing this situation to pettiness is that I cannot even fathom a reason why you'd be petty toward Cesaro.

Before this he was "boring and had a funny accent" and so he yodeled. Yeah.

Which kind of reminds of that time either Dunn or Hayes decided they didn't like Sheamus, so King Sheamus was born.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
That battle royal contained all of WWE's missed opportunity over the past 5 years or so. So many great wrestles relegated to floundering around in a meaningless battle royal because creative doesn't have a single feud for any of them.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

I think the Usos might be the best American tag team right now. A lot of people will say the Young Bucks, and their matches have been better but they generally have better opponents. The tag match was basically three guys working around one (although Rowan didn't drag it down.) Even if they aren't the best they are right up there with the Bucks, Bad Influence and reDRagon.

This is insane. I just saw the Young Bucks live a month or two ago and they were infinitely more entertaining. You've got a lot of wrestling knowledge but you really eat up whatever the WWE serves you. The Usos are not good just because they get a lot of ring time, false finishes, and wins. They do the same spots every match and it really loses it's bite. Plus they're not great talkers. It's still early in their career so I'm sure they'll figure out how to take that step from good to great but you're way overrating them right now.

Anyways, PPV was pretty good because first and foremost I like wrestling and every match was good, aside from some botches, but considering everyone got a lot of time last night, there were bound to be a few. The booking was awful outside of Paige/AJ and Rusev/Swagger (as long as that's not the end of their feud). Also I thought Rusev/Swagger was a real good match that did a lot to make both guys look good, and they really stepped their games up knowing they'd caught lightning in a bottle with that feud. Lana is also quickly becoming one of my favourite managers of all time. She never loses her character and all her little intricacies at ringside are perfect. Even Rusev with his constant screaming off mic is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Paulocaust posted:

This is insane. I just saw the Young Bucks live a month or two ago ... The Usos are not good just because they get a lot of ring time, false finishes, and wins. They do the same spots every match and it really loses it's bite.

Because The Young Bucks aren't known for doing the same spot multiple times in a match.

• Locked thread