Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Hey guys, I just got an exotic bounty for either Shattered Memory Fragment, A Voice In The Wilderness, or Toland's Legacy. What weapons are they and which one do I go for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

bman in 2288 posted:

Hey guys, I just got an exotic bounty for either Shattered Memory Fragment, A Voice In The Wilderness, or Toland's Legacy. What weapons are they and which one do I go for?

It's in da op.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

bman in 2288 posted:

Pretty sure that's Pocket Infinity, Super Good Advice and Bad Juju. If you put the bounty into Google you can bring up wiki's that describe not only the weapons but what you have to do to earn them, which is helpful when deciding what to get (if you suck at PVP for instance, you don't want a bounty that requires a big pvp score).

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Lofty132 posted:

(if you suck at PVP for instance, you don't want the Thorn bounty).

Fixed! :)

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

sunday at work posted:

Ditto. Poopsocks gonna poopsock. No reason to punish the rest of us. We already have to deal with the RNG.

Amen. I played this a *lot* in my limited non-family free time until I got blocked from hitting 30 by not having reliable availability to run VoG and then bounties and strikes just kind of ... meh, there's only so many you can do. I *just* scraped 30 through getting the exotic Hunter gloves from Xur, bad as they were, and now... grinding up marks to upgrade to the new Vanguard gloves so I can wear my exotic helms dropped me to 29 until I grind up more mats, and I'm staring down the barrel of doing this for every piece of gear on all 3 characters.

All the people saying "but MMOs leave gear behind, that's just how it works" are missing the point that Destiny gear is very different to most other MMOs. You get a new piece of gear in WoW, you equip it, there is your stat boost. In Destiny you have to spend time and effort levelling up each item, grinding up XP and materials. A significant amount of time and effort, in fact. This was actually one of the selling points for the game in Bungie's marketing! Your unique gear will be so much more defining for your character.

With this expansion we have to get new gear to stay current with stats. This means that the time and effort spent on the old items is wiped. The 'character defining' items are wiped. Sure, you can hand in your existing exotics for an upgraded version. The empty upgraded version is exactly the same regardless of whether the one you're trading has been fully maxed out or left untouched. And legendaries are just defunct. That Devil You Know handcannon? Yeah, that's good for sharding to put one or two materials into the new Devil You Don't.

If it was just a matter of trading up items to increase stats that'd be fine, that's the standard MMO model. But Destiny doesn't work that way and that Bungie has gone ahead and implemented that system regardless shows an amazing lack of either critical thought, respect for their customer base, or both.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Holy poo poo the nightfall gave me 9 ascendant shards.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Of course the wind takes out the cable during the reset :negative:

What does Xur have this week?

Captain Corduroy
Mar 31, 2007

We find the source of the problem, and we throw dragons at it.
He's selling Voidfang Vestments ahahahaha

Ruin Wings
Achlyophage Symbiote
VOIDFANG FFUCKING VESTMENTS
Truth
Helm Engram

Upgrades:
Mask of the Third Man
Young Ahamkara's Spine
Armamentarium
No Backup Plans
Light Beyond Nemesis
SUNBREAKERS
Suros Regime
Red Death
Last Word
Thorn
Ice Breaker
Thunderlord

Upgrades require you to have the item in your inventory and cost 7-8k glimmer plus a shard.

Captain Corduroy fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 12, 2014

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Captain Corduroy posted:

drat! I had a 50-50 chance of guessing right.

Xur is hanging out by the crucible vendors.

He is selling:

Ruin Wings (new titan arms), symbiote, Void Vest, Truth, and helmet engram.

Available for upgrade:

third man, young ahamkara, armamentarium, no back up plans, light beyond, sunbreakers
suros regime, red death, last word, thorn, ice breaker, thunderlord

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Dec 12, 2014

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

gently caress yessssssss! It's good to be a Titan. :getin:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
OK, upgrade armamentarium, icebreaker and thorn or thunderlord? Hmmmmm...

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bought the engram, it turned into Apotheosis Veil.

Last time I bought the helmet engram from him it turned into Apotheosis Veil.

Exotic I got from the nightfall last week on my titan? Apotheosis Veil.

I am furious right now.

Least my hunter got an upgrade but gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Don't know if I should buy the ruin wings or upgrade my current exotic, ruin wings look gorgeous though.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Pheww at least I'm not missing the Third Man hat this week. How much do the helmet engrams run?

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I got the Obsidian Mind from the helmet engram. Looks pretty good for a void warlock I guess!

You know, statwise, since it's a just a black reskin of an existing helmet. :saddowns:

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
I got Ruin Wings in the Nightfall and the titular upgrade is loving awesome.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Creepy Goat posted:

Pheww at least I'm not missing the Third Man hat this week. How much do the helmet engrams run?

23 motes.

I got 2 of em, ended up decrypting into a new Symbiote for my hunter (exactly what I wanted) and a new Light Beyond for my Warlock. I really think Light Beyond is super mediocre but a helmet is a helmet so I've got enough gear to get to 31 now.

e: Also upped my Icebreaker so yayyyy to releveling that for the next week :toot:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Bought the Ruin Wings (they look so pimp with my Thunderdevil shader).
Bought that urn I need for Eris' quest.
Bought a helmet engram, got buffed Light Beyond Nemesis (guess I can shard my old one).
Upgraded Armamentarium.
Now I'm gonna grind for some glimmer and upgrade the Ice Breaker too.

Not a bad week! As far as weapons to upgrade I was hoping for either the Suros, Gjallarhorn or the Ice Breaker.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Bought the engram, it turned into Apotheosis Veil.

Last time I bought the helmet engram from him it turned into Apotheosis Veil.

Exotic I got from the nightfall last week on my titan? Apotheosis Veil.

I am furious right now.

Least my hunter got an upgrade but gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Don't know if I should buy the ruin wings or upgrade my current exotic, ruin wings look gorgeous though.

More heavy ammo drops + more heavy ammo per drop is always good. I think the only comparable pve titan exotic would be saint-14 and maaaaybe alpha lupi.

Helm engrams are 23 motes. The urn for Xur is 1 strange coin.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

I had enough glimmer to get an upgraded Ice Breaker and Armamentarium....I think that's really all I wanted. Oh, and I bought the Voidfang Vestments just to replace my current one :toot: I also got Ruin Wings because...why not?

I might go farm enough glimmer to get a new Thunderlord, but I never really used it (Corrective Measure seemed to do the trick and it let me keep using my Ice Breaker).

I think this is the most I've ever spent at Xur. The consumerism leaves me feeling delirious.

What's the fastest way to get glimmer these days?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

More heavy ammo drops + more heavy ammo per drop is always good. I think the only comparable pve titan exotic would be saint-14 and maaaaybe alpha lupi.

I'm using no backup plans though which I really enjoy.

That exotic helmet was a gigantic boost for my hunter, 2 light levels in one go, just need some purple gauntlets now.

And holy poo poo, 10 bounties didn't even make a dent on the exotic helmet, filled the first bubble and like 80% of the 2nd one. :psyduck:

quote:

What's the fastest way to get glimmer these days?

Don't know if its the fastest but in venus, from spawn, head left into the ember caves then hang a right and keep going right and a left and you'll enter like a big clearning with a bunch of vex there's 3 minotaurs there guaranteed and occasionally some of the normal enemies will also be ultras, no matter what you'll always be killing people so using the more glimmer item is never wasted.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 12, 2014

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

El_Molestadore posted:

I got Ruin Wings in the Nightfall and the titular upgrade is loving awesome.

I honestly don't get why this is worth an exotic slot... I mean, it does look prettttty sweet and the flavour text is prettttty mean but it's like a pretty lame perk.

Edit: unless it works in PvP too? Then I guess... But my corrective measure already has field scout and 'expect to find more ammo' and I just feel like I never run out of heavy ammo anyways.

Rama of Ra fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 12, 2014

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Alteisen posted:

I'm using no backup plans though which I really enjoy.

That exotic helmet was a gigantic boost for my hunter, 2 light levels in one go, just need some purple gauntlets now.

And holy poo poo, 10 bounties didn't even make a dent on the exotic helmet, filled the first bubble and like 80% of the 2nd one. :psyduck:

It's like 350,000 exp or something wild like that to fully upgrade an exotic. Have fun.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Is uhh xur not showing up for anyone else? He should be in the hangar, right?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

a Loving Dog posted:

Is uhh xur not showing up for anyone else? He should be in the hangar, right?

He's by the crucible vendors. The position changes every week.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Yeah, all the other sites I use to see where he is didn't update yet I guess. Weird.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Unless it's been patched the best glimmer farm is doing the first Mars mission on heroic with re supply codes popped, kill the 8 yellow guys then die, repeat until you hit cap.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Captain Corduroy posted:

Ruin Wings
Achlyophage Symbiote
VOIDFANG FFUCKING VESTMENTS
Truth
Helm Engram

Upgrades:
Mask of the Third Man
Young Ahamkara's Spine
Armamentarium
No Backup Plans
Light Beyond Nemesis
SUNBREAKERS
Suros Regime
Red Death
Last Word
Thorn
Ice Breaker
Thunderlord

Upgrades require you to have the item in your inventory and cost 7-8k glimmer plus a shard.

Cool. Going to spend all my 100 motes on that engram. If needed, will buy Achlyophage instead of upgrading. I'll buy voidfang instead of upgrading. Ruin wings is a definite buy. I wonder if I can manage to produce an additional 40000 glimmer to buy all the upgrades I want. poo poo.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Rama of Ra posted:

I honestly don't get why this is worth an exotic slot... I mean, it does look prettttty sweet and the flavour text is prettttty mean but it's like a pretty lame perk.

Edit: unless it works in PvP too? Then I guess... But my corrective measure already has field scout and 'expect to find more ammo' and I just feel like I never run out of heavy ammo anyways.

You must not use rockets much. As someone who uses Gjallarhorn on a regular basis, more heavy ammo dropping in PVE is super useful. Of course it depends on the % increase, I assume it is meaningful to make the arms worth wearing.

Deleted all my old hunter exotics, now have 13 exotic shards. Bought the titan arms and voidfang vestments. Also bought two helmet engrams and Got stupid Nemesis helmet and insurmountable skull fort. Already had those so dismantled the old ones. Need to upgrade titan and warlock armour, thorn, the last word and my second icebreaker. Glad I already got two Thunderlord machine guns within two days after the release of the new content. I'm practically swimming in exotic shards now, which is good because I will need to upgrade all this crap whenever I get around to finally levelling it all.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
Uhhhhhh... You need to have your exotic item equipped to upgrade it at Xur? Well that's tedious. I have Arma and No Backup Plans but the upgrade option only lights up for Arma (which is equipped)... I have to buy a crappy white chest engram just to swap stuff around to be able to upgrade?

Good thing I'm a sucker.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Good news guys I just did the easy raid chest on my Warlock so it hasn't been patched yet. (Since there was concern about a small patch on the last page)

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

J2DK posted:

Cool. Going to spend all my 100 motes on that engram. If needed, will buy Achlyophage instead of upgrading. I'll buy voidfang instead of upgrading. Ruin wings is a definite buy. I wonder if I can manage to produce an additional 40000 glimmer to buy all the upgrades I want. poo poo.
Glimmer cost and limited time RNG selection of exotic upgrades is the stupidest loving design. Glimmer is still largely useless throughout the week, then you have to grind your rear end off over the weekend to be able to afford all the upgrades you need in case they do not show up again in the RNG for a long time. Then you get to grind some more to level them again to unlock the upgrades. Who thought that was a good idea, a Korean MMO reject?

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

So uh, where's good place to find and punch cursed thralls for this urn?

Snostorm
Sep 9, 2013
And Xur continues to troll warlocks again.

Is Last Word or Thorn the better PvE gun?

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

grrarg posted:

Glimmer cost and limited time RNG selection of exotic upgrades is the stupidest loving design. Glimmer is still largely useless throughout the week, then you have to grind your rear end off over the weekend to be able to afford all the upgrades you need in case they do not show up again in the RNG for a long time. Then you get to grind some more to level them again to unlock the upgrades. Who thought that was a good idea, a Korean MMO reject?

God drat, don't forget having to upgrade from being king of the mountain with 3 level 30 characters to having to scrape together gear for 31. I leveled a warlock helm, super Praxic Fire, and arms. I started with 25000 glimmer and ended at level 31 with 12000-13000 glimmer. (Leveling armor isn't that bad. I'm just eager to be superman again. The attack stat on weapons changing is bad.)

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Just got No Land Beyond from the Crota chest! Tonight is a good night! :woop:

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

NotALizardman posted:

So uh, where's good place to find and punch cursed thralls for this urn?

Don't know if it's the best place, but one of the bounties today is to kill Telthor on heroic. Cursed thralls spawn there, so may as well kill two birds with one stone.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

SadisTech posted:

Amen. I played this a *lot* in my limited non-family free time until I got blocked from hitting 30 by not having reliable availability to run VoG and then bounties and strikes just kind of ... meh, there's only so many you can do. I *just* scraped 30 through getting the exotic Hunter gloves from Xur, bad as they were, and now... grinding up marks to upgrade to the new Vanguard gloves so I can wear my exotic helms dropped me to 29 until I grind up more mats, and I'm staring down the barrel of doing this for every piece of gear on all 3 characters.

All the people saying "but MMOs leave gear behind, that's just how it works" are missing the point that Destiny gear is very different to most other MMOs. You get a new piece of gear in WoW, you equip it, there is your stat boost. In Destiny you have to spend time and effort levelling up each item, grinding up XP and materials. A significant amount of time and effort, in fact. This was actually one of the selling points for the game in Bungie's marketing! Your unique gear will be so much more defining for your character.

This is the problem: I see many people running with only one weapon for type, trying to min-max one character for its own stats, thinking that the stats are collectively making a better character.

The problem is Destiny was never designed around the idea that your character can do everything in every situation: you see this from many terribly conveyed hints: classes have powers based only on two of the three elements (warlock is void and solar, hunter is solar and arc, titan is arc and void), there is no trading (so you don't have people helping you minmax your character) and that there is no piece of armor giving a bonus to strength, intellect and discipline at the same time.

I think this game is best played by keeping gear for PvE and PvP in both their statless and statful forms, and before sharding weapons trying to see if they can be used as hand-me-down for another character (I still need a second rare void fusion rifle, I still keep a level 16 green... probably I'll just buy a legendary one from a vendor). The more you play the more options you get, and the more flexible you can really get.

When you understand that you can have better combinations by keeping old legendaries around for their perks or their stats (keep a low impact AR anywhere handy) then you understand that everyone saying "VoG is useless now" is wrong since the game actively encourages you to mix and share your old stuff with the new.

Spiffeh
Dec 24, 2005

:v:
Can't decide whether to upgrade my Hunter exotic mask of the third man or Suros Regime (which I hardly use anymore) or both or neither D:

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

subroc posted:

Don't know if it's the best place, but one of the bounties today is to kill Telthor on heroic. Cursed thralls spawn there, so may as well kill two birds with one stone.

If that's the Chamber of Night mission, that's how I ended up doing it lol. Right before you get to the room with the hive seeder a cursed thrall spawns, and then another spawns with the knights up the stairs. They're both alone so you can kill them without chain-reactions blowing you up, so they're pretty nice spawns. From there run to the next big fight room with the big door and the tombship. Jump to orbit, and then back into the mission. Run back to the previous room, kill the knights and punch the thralls. Repeat one last time for all five kills, and then kill Telthor for the bounty I guess.

I did it on a defender titan. If you punch a thrall without your shield melee active you'll lose like 3/4 of your health. If your melee is charged you won't take any damage, but you also won't get a shield.

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Dec 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Spiffeh posted:

Can't decide whether to upgrade my Hunter exotic mask of the third man or Suros Regime (which I hardly use anymore) or both or neither D:

Do you use either of them for pve? Do you plan on doing iron banner with hunter (because obviously you'd use suros for IB). Do you have 13 strange coins to buy the Symbiote helm?

If you don't use suros for high level pve and aren't going to do IB, then don't upgrade.
you should get the acylophage symbiote because it's probably the best hunter helm for both pve and pvp. Third man's ok, I guess? But gunslinger/symbiote is better for pve, where the light levels actually matter.

• Locked thread