Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Doublepost to ask about my under-tested deck for GP London:

Deck: GP London Mardu Dragons

//Creatures
3 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Thunderbreak Regent
2 Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury
4 Seeker of the Way
3 Soulfire Grand Master
3 Goblin Rabblemaster

//Spells
3 Draconic Roar
3 Wild Slash
4 Crackling Doom
2 Hero's Downfall

//Planeswalkers
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

//Land
4 Mountain
2 Swamp
4 Nomad Outpost
4 Bloodstained Mire
2 Haven of the Spirit Dragon
2 Temple of Malice
2 Temple of Silence
2 Temple of Triumph
2 Caves of Koilos
2 Battlefield Forge

//Sideboard
2 Crux of Fate
4 Revoke Existence
2 Outpost Siege
2 Kolaghan's Command
2 Hallowed Moonlight
4 Anger of the Gods
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

Display deck statistics

What should I cut? I'm still not sure about not taking Thoughtseize. Maybe I've spread too thin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

BizarroAzrael posted:

What should I cut? I'm still not sure about not taking Thoughtseize. Maybe I've spread too thin?

You could probably cut 3 Revoke Existence. You're already playing 4 Commands for Artifact hate, and actually I'd recommend an Erase over the 4th Revoke for being cheaper and Instant speed. Or maybe 2 Erase/3 Anger.

You should probably be playing some number of Thoughtseize in the main. Maybe cut Soulfire? Seems unnecessary to play both them and Seeker.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Could putting a single Magma Jet in mono-red be reasonable (over something like Titan's Strength)? I've kindof liked it as a one-of just because a burn spell that finds more burn spells is a pretty excellent topdeck, and it can also occasionally be cute with Abbot.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

qbert posted:

You could probably cut 3 Revoke Existence. You're already playing 4 Commands for Artifact hate, and actually I'd recommend an Erase over the 4th Revoke for being cheaper and Instant speed. Or maybe 2 Erase/3 Anger.

You should probably be playing some number of Thoughtseize in the main. Maybe cut Soulfire? Seems unnecessary to play both them and Seeker.

Personally I would cut seekers and put in more mainboard burn. I like roasts in the side also to kill rhinos and it also goes well with SFGM.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BizarroAzrael posted:

I play Mardu Dragons as my standard deck and the major weaknesses of the deck I have seen are:
1. The mana base is just as bad, if not worse, than Abzan's, and too many tap lands will destroy your ability to get your threats out in time. This is a very tempo oriented deck. If you're on the back foot, you'll never recover because you have no innate sources of card advantage with the minor exception of Haven of the Spirit Dragon. You win by incidental burn while trading resources (read: Doom/Roar/Thunderbreak) until you stick a dragon, then finish them by dashing Kolaghan for 12 damage minimum.
2. Your curve is so top heavy, you will have to mulligan a fair bit, and moreso than other decks in the format, mulligans to 5 (or to 6 on the play, even) can be an auto-loss.
3. All your removal is one-for-one, so green dump cards like Whisperwood and Genesis Hydra will ruin your loving day, so you need ways to take care of them before they hit the field. And any deck that can quickly start casting two spells a turn will turn the tables on you fast.

As such, I do recommend Thoughtseize. If nothing else, it gives you an idea on how to utilize your resources based on your opponent's threats since efficiency is even more important for this deck than something like Abzan. I run 3 main deck. Most lists I've seen run 2. You will want to look at Murderous Cut. It helps in those matches against decks than can pump out multiple guys early.

Hero's Downfall is too slow and does little to augment what your other removal can already do.

Sorin's big draw in a deck like this is padding your life to help you survive until you drop your kill conditions. Soulfire Grand Master does this better and cheaper.

With that, Draconic Roar is the best card in the deck. Run 4.

You will want to maindeck a Kolaghan's Command with all the thopter decks running around since it is an auto-two-for-one, and if nothing else, it lets you get back Thunderbreak after the kill it (and take 3 damage).

The card you will be siding out the most is Rabblemaster.

You should win by turn 6 or 7. Ugin is kind of pointless unless you're going against a control deck. A 4th Stormbreath would be optimal.

I honestly think the deck is well positioned in the current meta. Access to Anger lets you reign in weenie decks and it slows down all the green mana-dork centric green decks. Crackling Doom + Kolaghan's Command destroys U/R Ensoul. And access to Hallowed Moonlight and Anger makes Rally decks trivial to play against.

Here is my list if you want to compare notes.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Having more than 1 sorin just doesn't work out well. One is the perfect number. Ugin just doesn't fit in the deck at all so drop him and drop a land.

Draconic roar is one of the reasons to play the deck and this must be a 4 of. That and crackling doom almost always do damage as they remove things 1 for 1. Gives the deck an aggressive edge over other midrange strategies.

I struggling to decide on erase or revoke as a 4 of right now. There is probably going to be a ton of Tutelage and Artifacts and the card is flexible for both match ups. It also is kind of a bonus if you run up against constellation, jeskai ascendancy, and even demonic pact decks. I have been itching to put erase in this slot since it deals with ensoul and everything else at half the cost at instant speed. Revoke is an absolute blowout against artifacts and is better against hangarbacks. Tough call.

You have a 5th crackling doom in your sb.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 13, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sickening posted:

You have a 5th crackling doom in your sb.

Yeah. I haven't updated my sideboard, yet. I also had a 5th Thoughtseize. :v:

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
Something I have been playing around with

Deck: WG

//Lands
4 Blossoming Sands
2 Forest
3 Plains
4 Sandsteppe Citadel
4 Temple of Plenty
4 Windswept Heath

//Spells
2 Ajani Steadfast
2 Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
3 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2 Nissa, Worldwaker
3 Sword of the Animist

//Creatures
3 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
4 Archangel of Tithes
3 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
3 Dragonlord Dromoka
4 Fleecemane Lion
3 Kytheon, Hero of Akros
3 Polukranos, World Eater
4 Sunscorch Regent

Display deck statistics

It's just not as quick as I'd like it to be...

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

You're using scrylands and lifelands along with a good chunk of your deck being 4+ CMC cards. It's going to be slow even if you draw into a bunch of you 2 CMC stuff.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...

ThePeavstenator posted:

You're using scrylands and lifelands along with a good chunk of your deck being 4+ CMC cards. It's going to be slow even if you draw into a bunch of you 2 CMC stuff.

I can drop the life lands altogether and replace with regular lands. Also I was thinking of dropping the kin spirits for Elvish mystic.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

If you want to speed up this deck, cut down on the number of planeswalkers. 3 Anafenzas should be fine. You only really need 2 Elspeths with that many planeswalkers and having 4 Ajanis is a good way to end up with a bunch of unplayable high CMC cards in your hand.

Elvish mystic is not a bad idea to put in as a replacement.

E: Get rid of Sandsteppe Citadel. It enters tapped and offers you no scrying, life, and you don't even have any black you're splashing for.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 14, 2015

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
Much better thanks for the suggestions:

Deck: WG

//Lands
5 Forest
7 Plains
4 Temple of Plenty
4 Windswept Heath

//Spells
2 Ajani Steadfast
2 Nissa, Worldwaker
3 Sword of the Animist

//Creatures
3 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
4 Archangel of Tithes
3 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
3 Dragonlord Dromoka
4 Fleecemane Lion
3 Kytheon, Hero of Akros
3 Polukranos, World Eater
4 Sunscorch Regent
4 Elvish Mystic

Display deck statistics

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-08-15-real-mill/

I want to play this deck... literally do nothing but draw cards for ever and hope.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AlternateNu posted:

Pyromancer's Goggles!

3 Chandra, Pyromaster
4 Dragon Fodder
4 Exquisite Firecraft
3 Fated Conflagration
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Lightning Strike
4 Pyromancer's Goggles
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Tormenting Voice
2 Magmatic Insight

20 Mountain
4 Radiant Fountain

Sideboard
3 Anger of the Gods
3 Magma Spray
2 Roast
3 Smash to Smithereens
4 Scab-Clan Berserker

So, I've been goldfishing the mono-R version above, and this poo poo is consistent as hell. Fated Conflagration is ridonco when you can copy it and Scry 2 twice. And it is a great turn 4 spell that nukes Rhinos and lets you set up the turn you drop Da Goggles!

I've been thinking about main decking a single Trumpet Blast because turn 6 double Outburst into turn 7 Trumpet Blast + double Firecraft is hilarious.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
This seems.......interesting

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013

Maybe consider a couple of infinite obliterations? I really like it vs deathmist raptor because that card is really annoying

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GlennFinito posted:

Maybe consider a couple of infinite obliterations? I really like it vs deathmist raptor because that card is really annoying

The meta is a little soft on raptors at the moment and there are too many decks out there right now to clutter up a sideboard with such a narrow card. Besides, if for some reason you ever cast that card and don't name den protector, something is wrong.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Jeskai Goggles!

1 Chandra, Pyromaster
4 Exquisite Firecraft
1 Fated Conflagration
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
4 Jeskai Charm
4 Pyromancer's Goggles
2 Renowned Weaponsmith
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Tormenting Voice
4 Wild Slash

4 Battlefield Forge
8 Mountain
4 Mystic Monastery
4 Shivan Reef
3 Temple of Epiphany
1 Temple of Triumph

Sideboard:
3 Anger of the Gods
3 Disdainful Stroke
4 Soulfire Grand Master
3 Roast
2 Smash to Smithereens

Access to Jeskai Charm, Soulfire Grand Master, and countermagic are super nice. The question is whether adding Jace with the scry lands will make the deck as consistent as the mono-R version.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I could use advice on this Hardened Scales deck for Standard. I'm definitely on a budget, otherwise I'd go green-white where some of the other synergies are. I'm playing on mtgo, but not looking to win dailies or anything. I just want to mess around in the tournament practice room and occasionally take games from the top tier decks, and have done pretty well at that so far.

Current observations are that the deck feels slightly too slow for 23 lands, even though it needs to be on the aggressive. I should probably remove some of the three-drops rather than add more lands. Evolutionary Leap is nice when I can use it, but that setup doesn't happen very often. I would like some other enchantments however, as a buffer around Hardened Scales against Dromoka's Command.

The sideboard is totally incomplete, and needs the most help/advice.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Deck: Mono G Hardened Scales

//Main
4 Avatar of the Resolute
3 Managorger Hydra
3 Reverent Hunter
4 Servant of the Scale
3 Evolutionary Leap
3 Inspiring Call
4 Ranger's Guile
2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Honored Hierarch
4 Hangarback Walker
4 Hardened Scales
21 Forest
1 Naturalize

//Sideboard
1 Bassara Tower Archer
4 Mortal's Resolve
3 Naturalize
1 Inspiring Call

Display deck statistics

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sickening posted:

The meta is a little soft on raptors at the moment and there are too many decks out there right now to clutter up a sideboard with such a narrow card. Besides, if for some reason you ever cast that card and don't name den protector, something is wrong.

And with that, my final decklist. Proabably.

Deck: GP London Mardu Dragons

//Creatures
4 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Thunderbreak Regent
1 Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury
4 Seeker of the Way
2 Soulfire Grand Master
3 Goblin Rabblemaster

//Spells
4 Draconic Roar
3 Wild Slash
4 Crackling Doom
1 Murderous Cut
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2 Outpost Siege
2 Kolaghan's Command

//Land
4 Mountain
1 Swamp
4 Nomad Outpost
4 Bloodstained Mire
2 Haven of the Spirit Dragon
2 Temple of Malice
2 Temple of Silence
2 Temple of Triumph
2 Caves of Koilos
2 Battlefield Forge

//Sideboard
2 Foul-Tongue Invocation
2 Revoke Existence
2 Hallowed Moonlight
4 Anger of the Gods
3 Thoughtseize

Display deck statistics

Flamester
Dec 30, 2012
Trying to put together a EDH deck with Crosis as a commander, I don't have that many cards, but I'm willing to spend around 20-30 USD on it.

Crosis, the Purger EDH

Thanks for the help.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Flamester posted:

Trying to put together a EDH deck with Crosis as a commander, I don't have that many cards, but I'm willing to spend around 20-30 USD on it.

Crosis, the Purger EDH

Thanks for the help.

I would say add little Kolaghan, cut the uncommon tarkir dragons, their effects are very small for their mana costs.
Kolaghan gives a huge damage boost if she's swinging with silumgar and Crosis (+9 damage by themselves, 3 per other creature, X per other dragons.)
Kolaghan's command is also good if you have it. artifacts are super prevalent in every edh deck, and small utility creatures abound. Instant speed discard or recursion is also not too shabby.
Cut stuff involving devotion to red. the damage they give you is miniscule
Cut Crpy Ghast. You have 6 swamps in the deck, the odds you draw more than 3 of them is staggeringly low for when it's relevant.
Coerced confession is also not very good. 5 mana for on average draw 2 at sorcery speed, and mill-unless it is your entire, all out plan- is faker in edh than ever before.

That's everything that jumps out at me...

Flamester
Dec 30, 2012

Gensuki posted:

I would say add little Kolaghan, cut the uncommon tarkir dragons, their effects are very small for their mana costs.
Kolaghan gives a huge damage boost if she's swinging with silumgar and Crosis (+9 damage by themselves, 3 per other creature, X per other dragons.)
Kolaghan's command is also good if you have it. artifacts are super prevalent in every edh deck, and small utility creatures abound. Instant speed discard or recursion is also not too shabby.
Cut stuff involving devotion to red. the damage they give you is miniscule
Cut Crpy Ghast. You have 6 swamps in the deck, the odds you draw more than 3 of them is staggeringly low for when it's relevant.
Coerced confession is also not very good. 5 mana for on average draw 2 at sorcery speed, and mill-unless it is your entire, all out plan- is faker in edh than ever before.

That's everything that jumps out at me...

Thanks for the advice, and just to clarify, that would be.

+ Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury
+ Dragonlord Kolaghan
+ Kolaghan's Command

- Ruthless Deathfang
- Belltoll Dragon
- Swift Warkite
- Fanatic of Mogis
- Thunderous Might
- Crypt Ghast
- Coerced Confession

Any suggestions on what to replace the other four with?

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013

Flamester posted:

Thanks for the advice, and just to clarify, that would be.

+ Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury
+ Dragonlord Kolaghan
+ Kolaghan's Command

- Ruthless Deathfang
- Belltoll Dragon
- Swift Warkite
- Fanatic of Mogis
- Thunderous Might
- Crypt Ghast
- Coerced Confession

Any suggestions on what to replace the other four with?

Spawn of Thraxes will on average do 1-2 damage in your deck, Bogardan Hellkite would be a better dragon that does the .

Here are some cards for you to consider add that aren't insanely expensive:
Fun dragon Cards:
Dragonmaster outcast
Dragonlord Silumgar
Dragon roost
Dragon whisperer
Utvara Hellkite
Dragon Tempest
Kilnmouth Dragon

pillowfort cards:
Propaganda
No Mercy
Haunter of Nightveil
Shipwreck Singer

Sweepers/removal:
Black Sun's Zenith
Whelming Wave
Languish
Cyclonic Rift
Bile Blight
Deathbringer Regent
Do or Die
Tsabo's Decree
Necromantic Selection
Plaguewind
In Garruk's wake
Pestilence
Evincar's Justice

Mana fixing et al.
Evolving Wilds
Kolaghan Monument
Commander's Sphere

Sidisi, Undead Vizier

seriously, you need card draw
Phyrexian Arena
Rhystic Study
Underworld Connections
Skeletal Scrying
Treasure Cruise
Bloodgift Demon

You can keep Swift warkite if you have more 1-3 drops with an etb/beneficial tap effect

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AlternateNu posted:

Pyromancer's Goggles!

3 Chandra, Pyromaster
4 Dragon Fodder
4 Exquisite Firecraft
3 Fated Conflagration
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Wild Slash
4 Pyromancer's Goggles
4 Stoke the Flames
2 Magmatic Insight
4 Tormenting Voice

20 Mountain
4 Radiant Fountain

Sideboard
3 Anger of the Gods
2 Magma Spray
3 Roast
2 Searing Blood
1 Smash to Smithereens
4 Scab-Clan Berserker

So, I played my Goggles deck at standard night. Went 2-2. I basically found out that it crushes regular metadecks, and loses horribly to random jank.

Round 1: (0-1) Lost first game against the most infuriatingly durdling deck imaginable. It was Bant-uhhh-whatever? His kill conditions were Warden of the First Tree and Elspeth while hiding behind Deathmist Raptors and maindecked loving Nyx-Fleece Rams. He has 4 Dromoka's Commands, a peppering of countermagic, and EIGHT (8!) protection effects in the deck. He pecked me enough game 1 to win after I stalled on lands forever and getting Goggles out turn 9 or 10. Game two went to time with him at 39 life and me at 17 right after I had finally stabilized and he was out of cards. :argh:

Round 2: (2-0) Basic RDWs. So much removal and chumping goblins prevented him from doing any real damage to me until I got Chandra + Goggles out and just out valued everything he did. I took him from 20 to 0 in two turns by double-Hordeling Outburst, Stoke him end of turn. Next turn swing for 6 on a clear board and double-Exquisite Firecraft. Game 2, I sided out Dragon Fodders and two Conflagrations for the Sprays, Searing Bloods, and Angers. I basically blanked his Searing Bloods games two, and he couldn't do anything after Goggles dropped.

Round 3: (2-1) U/R Descent of the Dragons (feat. Sarkhan, Dragonspeaker). Some interesting games. We were basically jockeying around each other's spells as he tried to get enough guys on board to make a lethal Thaumaturge + Descent. Game 1, I curved out perfectly, and he didn't want to trade off his own goblins for mine. So, he kept taking pot shots until I got Goggles online and nuked his face into a fine ash. Game 2, I was stuck on 3 lands for 4 turns, and by the time I was able to drop Chandra and Goggles, he had counter spells in his hand for both. The game lasted longer than it should have because he just couldn't find his kill conditions. He finally did around turn 9 and I lost after he dropped his own sideboarded Goggles. :iiam: Game 3, I had to play around his Negates/Disdainful Strokes for 4 turns even though I had Goggles in my opener. We were even around 13 life when he tapped out for Sarkhan. The next turn, I fated Conflagration'd the Sarkhan which he didn't expect at all. I baited out the counter he was holding with Chandra, dropped Goggles the turn after into Magmatic Insight to reload and was off to the races. The turn before he lost, he had the combo in hand, but overextended his Goblin tokens which I swept away with Anger, then double-Firecrafted + Slash'd him for the win.

Round 4: (0-2) B/w Devotion. So...nothing much to say here, really. A deck that runs Erebos' Titan and Master of the Feasts and manages to drop Whips deals a lot of damage. The sick part was my removal was keeping up with him, until he Bile Blighted my tokens and dropped a nice indestructible Titan game, two. I found the weakness of the deck. I even had two Roasts and a Fated Conflagration in my hand. So sad...

After a couple of games against Abzan Control and Aggro, I have come to the conclusion that it is a great metadeck. But lord help you if you fall into the rabble that brings out the randomness.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
I just bought a box of origins after a long break from the game, (last played around masques with some random boosters from more recent sets) tried to build a red aggro deck with only those cards and took it to a FNM which was as fun as you might expect. I won one round out of 4 matches.

So I went back to my parents' place, got my old cards, bought a few more and built my current deck.

http://www.mtgvault.com/princereggiek/decks/budget-red-modern-semi-goblin/

Creature (18)
4xBall Lightning
4xBoggart Brute
2xGoblin Glory Chaser
1xGoblin King
1xGoblin Piledriver
2xMogg Fanatic
4xMogg Flunkies

Enchantment (4)
4xSeal of Fire

Instant (8)
4xLightning Bolt
4xThunderbolt

Sorcery (10)
2xDragon Fodder
4xLava Spike
4xRift Bolt

Land (20)
20xMountain

I acquired the following extra cards that i think must go in and would like specific advice on what to replace with them. As well as any general advice. For now I'm only trying to keep it modern legal, but eventually as the next 2 sets come out, i might transition to standard.

1xGoblin Piledriver
1xGoblin Glory Chaser

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

So, I played my Goggles deck at standard night. Went 2-2. I basically found out that it crushes regular metadecks, and loses horribly to random jank.

Round 1: (0-1) Lost first game against the most infuriatingly durdling deck imaginable. It was Bant-uhhh-whatever? His kill conditions were Warden of the First Tree and Elspeth while hiding behind Deathmist Raptors and maindecked loving Nyx-Fleece Rams. He has 4 Dromoka's Commands, a peppering of countermagic, and EIGHT (8!) protection effects in the deck. He pecked me enough game 1 to win after I stalled on lands forever and getting Goggles out turn 9 or 10. Game two went to time with him at 39 life and me at 17 right after I had finally stabilized and he was out of cards. :argh:

Round 2: (2-0) Basic RDWs. So much removal and chumping goblins prevented him from doing any real damage to me until I got Chandra + Goggles out and just out valued everything he did. I took him from 20 to 0 in two turns by double-Hordeling Outburst, Stoke him end of turn. Next turn swing for 6 on a clear board and double-Exquisite Firecraft. Game 2, I sided out Dragon Fodders and two Conflagrations for the Sprays, Searing Bloods, and Angers. I basically blanked his Searing Bloods games two, and he couldn't do anything after Goggles dropped.

Round 3: (2-1) U/R Descent of the Dragons (feat. Sarkhan, Dragonspeaker). Some interesting games. We were basically jockeying around each other's spells as he tried to get enough guys on board to make a lethal Thaumaturge + Descent. Game 1, I curved out perfectly, and he didn't want to trade off his own goblins for mine. So, he kept taking pot shots until I got Goggles online and nuked his face into a fine ash. Game 2, I was stuck on 3 lands for 4 turns, and by the time I was able to drop Chandra and Goggles, he had counter spells in his hand for both. The game lasted longer than it should have because he just couldn't find his kill conditions. He finally did around turn 9 and I lost after he dropped his own sideboarded Goggles. :iiam: Game 3, I had to play around his Negates/Disdainful Strokes for 4 turns even though I had Goggles in my opener. We were even around 13 life when he tapped out for Sarkhan. The next turn, I fated Conflagration'd the Sarkhan which he didn't expect at all. I baited out the counter he was holding with Chandra, dropped Goggles the turn after into Magmatic Insight to reload and was off to the races. The turn before he lost, he had the combo in hand, but overextended his Goblin tokens which I swept away with Anger, then double-Firecrafted + Slash'd him for the win.

Round 4: (0-2) B/w Devotion. So...nothing much to say here, really. A deck that runs Erebos' Titan and Master of the Feasts and manages to drop Whips deals a lot of damage. The sick part was my removal was keeping up with him, until he Bile Blighted my tokens and dropped a nice indestructible Titan game, two. I found the weakness of the deck. I even had two Roasts and a Fated Conflagration in my hand. So sad...

After a couple of games against Abzan Control and Aggro, I have come to the conclusion that it is a great metadeck. But lord help you if you fall into the rabble that brings out the randomness.

Why is there 4 Radiant Fountains?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Why is there 4 Radiant Fountains?

The 2 life is always useful, and there are no permanents to use Nykthos. I guess I could have thrown in fetch or scry lands just for shits and giggles, but the deck needs a tight curve, and you're often dumping early lands to fuel Magmatic Insight and Tormenting Voice.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Prince Reggie K posted:

I just bought a box of origins after a long break from the game, (last played around masques with some random boosters from more recent sets) tried to build a red aggro deck with only those cards and took it to a FNM which was as fun as you might expect. I won one round out of 4 matches.

So I went back to my parents' place, got my old cards, bought a few more and built my current deck.

http://www.mtgvault.com/princereggiek/decks/budget-red-modern-semi-goblin/

Creature (18)
4xBall Lightning
4xBoggart Brute
2xGoblin Glory Chaser
1xGoblin King
1xGoblin Piledriver
2xMogg Fanatic
4xMogg Flunkies

Enchantment (4)
4xSeal of Fire

Instant (8)
4xLightning Bolt
4xThunderbolt

Sorcery (10)
2xDragon Fodder
4xLava Spike
4xRift Bolt

Land (20)
20xMountain

I acquired the following extra cards that i think must go in and would like specific advice on what to replace with them. As well as any general advice. For now I'm only trying to keep it modern legal, but eventually as the next 2 sets come out, i might transition to standard.

1xGoblin Piledriver
1xGoblin Glory Chaser

I'd squeeze a couple of Goblin Matron in and maybe one Krenko but that's because I love those cards more than anything. I'd also just swap out the thunderbolts for lightning strikes as I'd hate to top deck one and need to remove a ground creature.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

The 2 life is always useful, and there are no permanents to use Nykthos. I guess I could have thrown in fetch or scry lands just for shits and giggles, but the deck needs a tight curve, and you're often dumping early lands to fuel Magmatic Insight and Tormenting Voice.

Why not just have 24 Mountains? I guess having 8 extra life is great but that's only if you last long enough or don't win fast enough to pull at 4. I would just hate to pull 2 in an opening hand with no Mountains.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Why not just have 24 Mountains? I guess having 8 extra life is great but that's only if

WIth 20 coloured sources, you're at 90+% to have two of them by turn 2. Without stringent colour requirements (nothing in the deck costs RRR), and only a single colour, running some number of colourless lands is basically free.

Unless you play against literally no aggressive decks, an extra two or four life most games is going to make more of a difference than the outside chance it hurts you.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jabor posted:

WIth 20 coloured sources, you're at 90+% to have two of them by turn 2. Without stringent colour requirements (nothing in the deck costs RRR), and only a single colour, running some number of colourless lands is basically free.

Unless you play against literally no aggressive decks, an extra two or four life most games is going to make more of a difference than the outside chance it hurts you.

Well, to be perfectly honest, Fated Conflagration does cost 1RRR, but it has yet to be an issue. Like I said, I can dump pointless fountains for my filter spells. I've yet to have a color issue with the deck. (Screw/flood, yeah. But I've never been in a situation where I couldn't play a spell because of too many colorless lands.)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I'll try to post sample decks tomorrow, but say I'm brewing for modern aiming to make use of Blood Artist, sac outlets and guys like Blood Ghast and Bloodsoaked Champion. I think white is good here to allow Cartel Aristocrat, Lingering Souls and sideboard options, and I was also considering Anafenza, Kin-tree Spirit, but I think that needs testing. Teysa, Orzhov Scion might deliver value and give me more bodies.

Big question is should I splash red for Falkenrath Aristocrat and make it a proper Aristocrat deck. She should work well with Bloodsoaked Champ, is a sac outlet and potentially a quick finisher.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
I saw some people making "artifact" decks that were more burn than artifact so I figured I would take a stab at something more gimmicky:

Deck: Artifacts

//LANDS
4 Darksteel Citadel
16 Island

//CREATURES
4 Ornithopter
4 Chief Engineer
4 Burnished Hart
4 Opaline Unicorn
3 Jalira, Master Polymorphist
4 Scuttling Doom Engine
4 Soul of New Phyrexia
2 Mage-Ring Responder
2 Colossus of Akros

//ARTIFACTS
2 Astral Cornucopia
2 Hangarback Walker
2 Pyxis of Pandemonium
3 Avarice Amulet

Display deck statistics

Thoughts??? Any suggestions that would make convoke a more sure thing than just depending on the engineers?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Mindisgone posted:

I saw some people making "artifact" decks that were more burn than artifact so I figured I would take a stab at something more gimmicky:

//LANDS
4 Darksteel Citadel
16 Island

//CREATURES
4 Ornithopter
4 Chief Engineer
4 Burnished Hart
4 Opaline Unicorn
4 Scuttling Doom Engine
4 Soul of New Phyrexia
2 Mage-Ring Responder
2 Colossus of Akros

//ARTIFACTS
2 Astral Cornucopia
2 Hangarback Walker
2 Pyxis of Pandemonium
3 Avarice Amulet

Display deck statistics

Thoughts??? Any suggestions that would make convoke a more sure thing than just depending on the engineers?

This just seems too slow. You're better off going the aggro route. I I've been basically going 3-1 or 4-0 the last 5 weeks with this:

Lands:

Island x18
Darksteel Citadel x4
Tomb of the Spirit Dragon x2

Creatures:

Bonded Construct x4
Chief of the Foundry x4
Hangarback Walker x4
Chief Engineer x4
Ornithopter x4
Whirler Rogue x2

Spells:

Ensoul Artifact x4
Subborn Denial x4
Thopter Spy Network x3
Anticipate x3

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mindisgone posted:

You're never going to summon Responder or Colossus with 20 lands, regardless of how much convoking you do with Chief Engineer. And you have too many creatures to try and cheat them with Jalira (who is honestly, too slow, anyway). You need to lower your curve and throw in more of the Thopter generators (e.g., Whirler Rogue + Hangarback) from Origins.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mindisgone posted:

//LANDS
4 Darksteel Citadel
16 Island

//CREATURES
4 Ornithopter
4 Chief Engineer
4 Burnished Hart
4 Opaline Unicorn
4 Scuttling Doom Engine
4 Soul of New Phyrexia
2 Mage-Ring Responder
2 Colossus of Akros

//ARTIFACTS
2 Astral Cornucopia
2 Hangarback Walker
2 Pyxis of Pandemonium
3 Avarice Amulet

Display deck statistics

Pyxis straight up doesn't do anything, Avarice Amulet is going to actively hurt you because you have no removal to get it back. Mage-Ring Responder and Colossus are awful choices to cheat out since they both require lots of mana while in play, which you'll never get up to with only 20 lands, even with all your ramping stuff. You have Darksteel Citadels because you saw them in whatever deck you copied initially, but took out all the cards that care about you having an artifact in play, making them strictly worse than islands or radiant fountains. I mean it seems like a good deck if your opponent has no creatures, no removal, and no counterspells, but that's not a realistic scenario. It would probably lose to your average Origins draft deck.

If your playing semi-competitively just copy a u/r artifact list. If your playing for fun switch to G/R or G/B so you can add better ramp cards and also some removal.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 25, 2015

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Hey! I just back into magic after a 2 year or so break. I want to make b/g elves or b/g/w rally elves to just have fun with but still be mildly competitive (fnm at most).

I can't seem to find just a b/g elves standard deck. Any help with that?

Also, this is what I have now. Any help would be much appreciated.

Creatures (29)

4 Elvish Mystic

4 Dwynen's Elite

4 Elvish Visionary

3 Satyr Wayfinder

1 Liliana, Heretical Healer

2 Merciless Executioner

3 Nissa, Vastwood Seer

4 Shaman of the Pack

4 Siege Rhino

Instants (7)

4 Rally the Ancestors

1 Chord of Calling

2 Collected Company

Enchantments (2)

2 Evolutionary Leap
Land (22)

4 Mana Confluence
4 Sandsteppe Citadel
4 Llanowar Wastes
3 Temple of Silence
1 Windswept Heath
4 Forest
1 Plains
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
SB

Woodland Bellower x1
3x Nantuko husk
4x Abzan Charm
4x Duneblast
2x Lilly

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I've always wanted to build a casual Bushi Tenderfoot deck, and I finally realized that I can use green fight effects like Dromoka's Command to easily flip him if my opponent plays a creature that's 1/2 or smaller. I figure I'll have about 12 fight spells, but I'll not always have Bushi Tenderfoot so I should find other white, green, or colourless creatures that like to take damage and deal damage. Any suggestions? I'm thinking, for starters, I want Hornet's Nest and Protean Hydra. Also, please suggest alternative ideas for easily flipping Bushi Tenderfoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
equip him with swords, after he flips, you have a double strike guy with a sword. With a sword he'll be hitting for 14 in combat, 10 on a player plus double triggers. just white protection spells work too, god's willing, brave the elements, etc.

• Locked thread