Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Ken Doll blew up his game by talking to the Dark Forces when Will gave him important intel. Sad really, he ultimately is just a muscled moron wrapped with pretty paper.

Has there ever been a season with this many miscalculated idol plays?

Adam and David's idols have both been flushed for gently caress-all of reasons and never needed to be. That could become a back breaker. Maybe bad idol play is contagious and Jay will play his idol on the scene transition fruit bat? All bets are off at this point, we've seen it all really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Spatula City posted:

also I don't know who's winning, other than that Ken's chances are well and truly dead. I guess it could be Adam? Or David? Or, gosh, Hannah. This is a messy season, and nobody will ever hold it up as a model of great play, but the last three episodes have been pretty neat.

Good. We don't always need a winner that's edited to have done no wrong.

Though I think Jay has better chances than Hannah. If Adam doesn't get to the finals, I think they set the groundwork for showing why he would vote for Jay.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Robnoxious posted:

Ken Doll blew up his game by talking to the Dark Forces when Will gave him important intel. Sad really, he ultimately is just a muscled moron wrapped with pretty paper.

Has there ever been a season with this many miscalculated idol plays?

Adam and David's idols have both been flushed for gently caress-all of reasons and never needed to be. That could become a back breaker. Maybe bad idol play is contagious and Jay will play his idol on the scene transition fruit bat? All bets are off at this point, we've seen it all really.

Adam's idol play was the correct move based on the information he had at the time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Brock Samson posted:

Wow it's been a few fun tribal's huh. Adam is kind of a stand-up guy even if he's not the best with the idol luck.

I like Adam. His sin is overplaying which is a huge percentage of players now anyway.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, it was good for Adam to play that because they had very little reason to believe that Will was going to flip at that point.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

If I was in Adam's position this tribal I'd have done the exact same thing.
If I was in Adam's position last tribal I'd have shut the gently caress up.
In summary, I see Adam as that kid who was always just kind of around you and your friends in elementary school. You don't really want him there, but you'd miss him if he was gone.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The best part of that is that since Will waffled so much and scared Adam into using his idol that now he won't get credit for his big move because people will just remember Adam's idol play as "saving" Hannah. Adam's game continues to be a really weird keystone cops thing while Will continues to have nothing to show for his indecisiveness.

I like Adam fine. Guy's playing hard and seems like a nice enough fella. That "friend you don't choose to hang with but you'd miss him if he was gone" thing works. He's just always playing like 1 level harder than he has to be at any given moment. The fact that playing the idol made sense but was unnecessary fits that really well. I'm amused by the fate of Adam's game.

Its a shame Zeke couldn't hold back a little. To his credit he seemed to recognize he got too overzealous there (and I'd argue high on his power/the game). If he had been able to slow play things a bit he probably could have a had a real shot at winning this game. He was dead after last week. If it hadn't been Will this week it would have been someone next week or the week after.

The thing that still makes me sad about this season is that Brett and Sunday seem like mortal locks for F4.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

TBH they hosed up and should have just targeted David at that point, if they really thought an idol would be played on Ken.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

And yeah, Brett and Sunday are going to make their way in. Will is going to burn out fast if he tries to take control too forcefully, and with David and Jay sticking around as obvious targets.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Jay is probably going to slip through too. I don't like him so I don't love that but at least he's playing hard.

I don't know. Jay could get targeted for being an idol threat but the winners have seemed pretty widespread and Jay doesn't seem like he has a ton of friends. But someone could say he has Will, Michelle, Taylor, and Sunday so he's too big a threat to let go.

David may have bungled his game enough that he can slip through. The need to get him out seemed driven by Chris/Zeke. He's not ACTUALLY that big a threat. Ken seems like a much bigger threat to win unless a lot of players are secretly harboring hate for him like Will apparently was (but that mostly came off to me as every teenager ever rebelling against a grown up). Despite his dumb play this week I assume everyone who liked him still likes him.

I don't know. Its still murky enough that I don't know how things will play and who will be seen as threats. But its probably going to be a competition to see who beats Brett and Sunday at Final Tribal.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I can see Jay going after final 5 when Idols don't help anymore. The moment he is vulnerable, he's out of there.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Oh, Ken...

3rd great episode in a row with people making hilariously bad moves. Adam's move was correct though. People too often collate the quality of a move with the outcome; there's so much chance involved, and strategies are best evaluated by how they like up with all the possible outcomes someone should be inferring given the information they have.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

At the end of the day, he does get points for using the idol on the actual vote target. Even if they all realize it didn't matter, he still made a good call and didn't fail the way David did the week before.

Edit: Aw, I just read about Adam's mom. :(

Max fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 1, 2016

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I love that we're getting more long endurance challenges this season.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Max posted:

At the end of the day, he does get points for using the idol on the actual vote target. Even if they all realize it didn't matter, he still made a good call and didn't fail the way David did the week before.

Edit: Aw, I just read about Adam's mom. :(

People on reddit are saying that his mom died before he could get back to see her, but I haven't seen any actual sources so it could be wrong

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

blue squares posted:

People on reddit are saying that his mom died before he could get back to see her, but I haven't seen any actual sources so it could be wrong

He's a fairly active user on the Survivor sub. I didn't catch that detail, but if it wasn't true he'd be debunking it. He hasn't exactly been quiet about the choice to play in spite of her illness.

For what it's worth, he must have known of the possibility going in, so I'd expect they took as much time together to make peace and say goodbye before he left as they could. It may even have been better that way, if so; she wouldn't have been in the final spiral downward (so, strong enough to be lucid and encouraging), and it would have been private moments just for the two of them that all the people surrounding her at the final hours wouldn't have had.

Also, I have no idea how Ken could possibly win after that little display.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm sure it's probably true. Everything Adam's brother told him last night is basically what they do for people when the writing is on the wall.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Also, I have no idea how Ken could possibly win after that little display.

I think anyone has a good chance of winning if they get to the end with Sunday and Bret.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I spent like ten minutes after the show just trying to figure out what possible logic Ken could've been following for his "test" and I'm still completely baffled.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
That episode made me cry.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Lone Goat posted:

I think anyone has a good chance of winning if they get to the end with Sunday and Bret.

I disagree. Bret wins that one.

Poque posted:

That episode made me cry.

Me too. It might have just been from watching it in bed completely exhausted, but that was an exceptional family episode.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Adam's mom died on May 15th. I think the last day of filming was May 13th.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Oh god. He would have just missed her :cry:

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Generic American posted:

I spent like ten minutes after the show just trying to figure out what possible logic Ken could've been following for his "test" and I'm still completely baffled.

Imagine that you don't really understand the game of Survivor at all.

Now imagine that someone on the opposing team wants to switch to your team. How do you know if he is serious? Well, you could just be bold and go over to the opposing team and ask them!

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

MrBuddyLee posted:

Adam's mom died on May 15th. I think the last day of filming was May 13th.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Oh god. He would have just missed her :cry:

Well, poo poo. Day ruined. :(

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Sith Happens posted:

Well, poo poo. Day ruined. :(

Honestly, they would have had the best possible send off. Watching someone you love die especially right at the end, where they become incomprehensible, is unbelievably awful.

They would have said goodbye when she was lucid, knowing that he was going off to fulfill a dream of his.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Generic American posted:

Interestingly, the move makes some sense if you assume rational actors (not that you can in Survivor.) It essentially forces Will to commit to the flip because his trust with Zeke's group is shot regardless, so he may as well make the move that advantages him the most.

Not that I believe Ken considered this. I think he couldn't understand why Zeke's group would target him and so thought Will was lying to build trust (I'm saving you by switching). Ken doesn't believe Will, tattles, and either learns Will is trustworthy or hurts Will's game in revenge if it was a lie.

Also, as long as Will switches Ken's mouth doesn't effect Will's game at all. After the vote his previous alliance will know he betrayed any way. The disadvantages to knowing a move are 1) scrambling, and since Will was the swing and the two sides were so entrenched that wasn't a worry and 2) idols, and I think Will was reasonably confident Zeke neither has an idol nor will Jay play one on him.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Brock Samson posted:

Wow it's been a few fun tribal's huh. Adam is kind of a stand-up guy even if he's not the best with the idol luck.

He's as self-interested as anyone out there but in denial about it and a tryhard about being a good guy

Also he was pathetic in the reward challenge and it was hilarious

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

blue squares posted:

Another thing: for all the talk of how Zeke was playing such a great game, I sure don't see it. Nobody who is playing a great game has two people flip on you in back to back episodes. The way Zeke spoke to Chris, talking about "I have my people," showed how arrogant he was and it's clear that other people noticed it and didn't like it. He's like Russel Hantz: good in a lot of ways, but terrible at managing the social game that makes people like you and want to work with you.

Your Russell comparison makes no sense because he had fiercely loyal allies all 3 times he played, also Zeke was plenty well liked and therefore seen as a huge threat to win which is why he was heavily targeted

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Parity warning posted:

Your Russell comparison makes no sense because he had fiercely loyal allies all 3 times he played, also Zeke was plenty well liked and therefore seen as a huge threat to win which is why he was heavily targeted

You're right. I wrote that poorly. I meant that his social game is poor because he makes people feel like they are subordinate to him rather than partners, which makes them flip because he is seen as too much of a threat. So not like Russell other than that it is a type of social game failing, albeit a very different one

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Wait hold up, was Will :siren: drinking underage :siren: on the reward?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

garthoneeye posted:

Interestingly, the move makes some sense if you assume rational actors (not that you can in Survivor.) It essentially forces Will to commit to the flip because his trust with Zeke's group is shot regardless, so he may as well make the move that advantages him the most.

Not that I believe Ken considered this. I think he couldn't understand why Zeke's group would target him and so thought Will was lying to build trust (I'm saving you by switching). Ken doesn't believe Will, tattles, and either learns Will is trustworthy or hurts Will's game in revenge if it was a lie.

Also, as long as Will switches Ken's mouth doesn't effect Will's game at all. After the vote his previous alliance will know he betrayed any way. The disadvantages to knowing a move are 1) scrambling, and since Will was the swing and the two sides were so entrenched that wasn't a worry and 2) idols, and I think Will was reasonably confident Zeke neither has an idol nor will Jay play one on him.

You're right that the end effect of Ken's weird little play is that Will is basically screwed if he doesn't flip. If anything, Will mostly had to worry about being Christie'd out by being such an obvious swing vote that everyone converges to knock him out before he can screw them over.

There just has to be some other way of forcing Will's hand without going to him and doing a weird, public loyalty test. He drew the attention squarely towards himself and gave the kingmaker a really obvious target to shoot for, and 3 people (David, Bret, Sunday) more than willing to let Will get distracted by him.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Parity warning posted:

He's as self-interested as anyone out there but in denial about it and a tryhard about being a good guy

Also he was pathetic in the reward challenge and it was hilarious

He has ideas about how to endear others to him, but no idea how to execute them.

It's like he heard someone on Rob Has a Podcast say "use an in-game advantage to gain trust" and used it on the one guy that hates him most.

Then later he gave the advantage away for no reason!

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I think it says something that even Hannah visibly feels like Adam is constantly being overly neurotic.

vv Swear to god Michaela had better be back or I will be super upset.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 1, 2016

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

blue squares posted:

You're right. I wrote that poorly. I meant that his social game is poor because he makes people feel like they are subordinate to him rather than partners, which makes them flip because he is seen as too much of a threat. So not like Russell other than that it is a type of social game failing, albeit a very different one

Ah yea tru dat. Also why Michaela bit it basically, people give Jay poo poo for that but he obviously didn't like the idea of someone else being in control of his game.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dugong posted:

Wait hold up, was Will :siren: drinking underage :siren: on the reward?

:siren:

Will's mom and Jay have soft drink bottles. Will does not.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I hope this leads to a new precedent that underage contestants can drink if a parent or legal guardian is present to allow it.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Hah, I just realized that Ken did the exact thing to Will that he got mad at Jessica for doing to him.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
If Will knocked back a few, maybe his doofy confessionals were drunk. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Parity warning posted:

Ah yea tru dat. Also why Michaela bit it basically, people give Jay poo poo for that but he obviously didn't like the idea of someone else being in control of his game.

I think Jay was hosed either way with Michaela. Even though I agreed with her about Figgy and Taylor and I'm glad I got to see her hilariously express her feelings about the two of them, she was just way too open and public with her dislike and derision of them. the millenials really had no chance at being a cohesive tribe at all after merge

Murmur Twin posted:

Hah, I just realized that Ken did the exact thing to Will that he got mad at Jessica for doing to him.

I thought it was weird how vehemently he wanted to be picked as one of Jay's extras on the family reward. Like I understand that everybody is desperately missing their loved ones back home and is starved for news and affection, but I figured Adam's whole situation would somewhat temper other players' jockeying for the spots.

• Locked thread