Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

You know who won't miss it? Nikki Kaye after last night.
"two things -"
Yeah, she got owned. This was a fantastic episode of Back Benchers actually. Anybody who hasn't seen the show should start with this one.

I loved how Sheerer would provide good centre-left refutes to Nikki's statements. And then Norman would come along and push things a little more to the left. AND THEN Winny would speak up "Actually... That isn't good enough" And go stupidly left wing. He's such a populist.

I attended the pre-election Back Benchers in Auckland and it was very fun. Everybody ends up sitting with their political factions.. Those on the borders would trade spats and arguments. My mates and I (Young Greens) sat next to this guy who got interviewed at 46:30 on this: http://tvnz.co.nz/back-benches/s8-ep17-video-4915547

He would turn and sneer at us everytime we clapped or cheered. I feel like a bad person but it was a bit fun watching him crash and burn on National TV at 46:30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lampsacus posted:

"two things -"
Yeah, she got owned. This was a fantastic episode of Back Benchers actually. Anybody who hasn't seen the show should start with this one.

She was out of her depth in a hostile place, forced to defend some indefensible positions taken by her party on some issues, up against two opposition MPs that had been performing quite well overall this year and the leader of the opposition who has having an "on" night, on a show hosted by two people who have every reason to hold a grudge against her party and at times were outright hostile towards her because of whom she represents. Of course she was going to drown.

Also to add to the poll talk from earlier, Bryce Edwards noted that while Key's approval rating is still at 55%, 7 months ago it was at around 75%, and quotes Harteveld's editorial from The Press, which argues that National has only Key's appeal in their arsenal.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 11, 2012

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Poor Nicki. Being flanked by two angry old men.

And poor Russell. The quiet (and reasonably sensible) voice on the end. It was a tough gig for Kaye though, 3 strong opposition members vs. one National MP.

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

awesome

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I wonder how long they ran this answer through the focus groups to get it perfectly middle of the road and boring.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Remember the Bronwyn Pullar tapes that was partially leaked or whatever awhile ago? They've been leaked and they definitively prove Pullar never blackmailed ACC, or even attempted to. Consequently, Crusher Collins has cut the ACC Chairman, John Judge loose.

Varkk posted:

I wonder how long they ran this answer through the focus groups to get it perfectly middle of the road and boring.

My word, I can't imagine holding any sort of conversation with this man. Everything about him just screams "safe" and "boring." Besides, isn't he a bit too loving old to be listening to Katy Perry? What is he, a teenage girl?

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 12, 2012

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Concerningly Paula Rebstock will be replacing him.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=htt...ced&h=1AQHxz094

Looking forward to some more neo-liberal shock doctrine with ACC so it starts failing, to then be eventually privatized -_-

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Varkk posted:

I found this amusing too; Katy Perry, the most popular act of the day, The Eagles, consistently poll as the most popular band of all time in NZ and Hayley Westernra, local girl makes good.

That's some Republican grade focus grouping right there!

Edit: Also just a quick gently caress Yeah to the recent polls! I wonder how National will respond to being on the back foot and so solidly on the slide these days.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Time to switch my party vote to National after this insightful online conversation.

Seriously, I have never seen a decent web chat with a politician in this country. I didn't even bother with this one. Has there been a decent web chat with a politician in this country?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Angry Moo Cow posted:

Time to switch my party vote to National after this insightful online conversation.

Seriously, I have never seen a decent web chat with a politician in this country. I didn't even bother with this one. Has there been a decent web chat with a politician in this country?

I once saw someone argue with Penny Bright in the comments section for some blog, does that count?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

true. I forgot about comment sections of the blogosphere. I guess that counts.

For some reason I kept seeing David Garrett pop up in the comments chiming in his his two cents a year or so back. Probably still does that - but I've really gone off reading the comments of some blogs, unless someone directs me too them specifically. Too boring and depressing.

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

My politics 101 class on Facebook often astounds me with the poo poo they post.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

hairypanis posted:

My politics 101 class on Facebook often astounds me with the poo poo they post.

Mine didn't post anything at all. A boring waste of time.

And the stream board as well (massey).

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Apparently, New Zealanders "shun" Palmerston North: http://www.3news.co.nz/New-Zealanders-shun-Palmerston-North/tabid/423/articleID/257038/Default.aspx

Well... New Zealand First doesn't shun Palmerston North: They are holding their AGM convention there this weekend! (And I am going)

Pics and reports will be incoming ITT

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

OK, I'm not the only person profoundly embarrassed by our PM with those answers, right?

The Duke of Avon
Apr 12, 2011

Haha I can't wait to graduate from Massey and join the shunners. I await your report with interest, though.

Also, yes, John Key's answers were terrible and just end up making him seem less interesting. I have never understood why so many people seem to find him all charming and relatable when he's...the kind of person who gives answers like that.

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

So this happened:

Taken down a few hours later with an apology now on the page, but only after it made several newspapers.

Just honestly really really stupid in my view, besides being palpably offensive to a lot of people if I myself didn't get offended by it. Fire that guy/girl who made it, they demonstrate a lack of future marketing ability much less having tarnished the goodwill of the company tbqh.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Ah Dunedin. I was there when the Bowler ran Wifebeater Wednesdays back in '04, which was judged to breach advertising standards.

quote:

The Bowling Green Tavern, a popular student bar known as the Bowler, had been running the wifebeater promotion, which promised "bands, bourbon, 'beaters' and babes", since student orientation at the beginning of the year.

When patrons bought $10 worth of bourbon or vodka they got a free white singlet. The pub claimed "wifebeater" was a "delightful kiwiana term" used to describe such a singlet and the promotion was not endorsing violence but was about "fun, silly white-coloured singlets and cheap piss".

Otago University Students' Association and other community groups made a complaint to the Advertising Standards Complaints Board, saying the promotion was offensive.

In response, the Bowler said it was a tavern which "does not get caught up in political correctness" and has an outspoken sense of humour.

"We did not invent the name 'wifebeater' ... Not only young people, but many not-so-young, refer to white singlets fondly as a 'wifebeater'. It has become common language."

The South Island is really 20-30 years behind the North - it really is a culture shock. Only a South Island city would try and organise a White-Out when the West Indies cricket team is touring.

dusty fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 12, 2012

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

Lemonus posted:

So this happened:

Taken down a few hours later with an apology now on the page, but only after it made several newspapers.

Just honestly really really stupid in my view, besides being palpably offensive to a lot of people if I myself didn't get offended by it. Fire that guy/girl who made it, they demonstrate a lack of future marketing ability much less having tarnished the goodwill of the company tbqh.

Looks like someone's trying really hard to be like Hells Pizza at exactly the wrong time to try really hard to be like Hells Pizza.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

dusty posted:

The South Island is really 20-30 years behind the North - it really is a culture shock. Only a South Island city would try and organise a White-Out when the West Indies cricket team is touring.

I don't know about that, Christchurch didn't seem too bad for that kind of thing, and you often hear about poo poo like that coming out of Hamilton and Palmerston North etc.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

There was a white-out in Wellington when the Bahrainis came for the WC qualifier in 2009

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

I had to go look up the wording - what the DCC sprung for was "We're all white down here". At least it was accurate...

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Peak-A-Boag

To quote a friend:

"Former National Part President Michelle Boag attempts to play cloak-and-dagger in the corridors of power. This is part of an ongoing National party manufactured-crisis plan known as ACCins Creed."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/politics/7094338/What-was-Michelle-Boag-doing

Lemonus fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 13, 2012

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Angry Moo Cow posted:

There was a white-out in Wellington when the Bahrainis came for the WC qualifier in 2009

The national football team are called the All-Whites, because they have white uniforms...

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The national football team are called the All-Whites, because they have white uniforms...

And the national rugby team is called the All-Blacks because of a typo...

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Varkk posted:

And the national rugby team is called the All-Blacks because of a typo...

Entirely apocryphal and is just muddling what is a fairly simple story for no good reason. The other, and more likely, theory is that it's because they were playing in all black gear.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Edit: redacted

exmachina fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 13, 2012

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Entirely apocryphal and is just muddling what is a fairly simple story for no good reason. The other, and more likely, theory is that it's because they were playing in all black gear.

But think about what it says about our country that a major part of our national identity is based on a screw up by an English newspaper editor.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Varkk posted:

But think about what it says about our country that a major part of our national identity is based on a screw up by an English newspaper editor.

It's, in all likelihood, not true so it doesn't bother me.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I dont see how that is such a bad thing. things/states gain their identity from other parties all of the time.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Alan Bollard posted:

Yeah nah, surplus probably won't happen in 2014/15, bro.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/7103387/Bollard-sees-delayed-surplus

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

gently caress Treasury, man.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pigeon Shamus posted:

gently caress Treasury, man.

To be fair, I doubt there was anyone in the country who didn't see this coming.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Vagabundo posted:

To be fair, I doubt there was anyone in the country who didn't see this coming.

All joking aside, Treasury is a totally dysfunctional, permanently underperforming organization which is well overdue for a comprehensive cleanout - and the frustrating thing is that both National and Labour will quietly agree with this.

It doesn't help that it should be being balances by the State Services Commission, which is a joke, and DPMC, which is half spies these days. It used to be that elliptical references to "working in defence" meant a Wellingtonian worked in the SIS or GCSB, and it was time to change topics. Working at the DPMC means the same thing now, it seems.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Treasury run the country. That's why all our poo poo is getting sold to "Kiwi Mum's and Dad's" who:

a) Don't have the money - I am a Dad, on a decent salary (while wife is currently unemployed, but looking after our 2 kiddies), there is no way we have the money to buy shares right now.

b) have already help pay for these state assets through generations of tax contributions.

I might be misinformed by all this, but I haven't been convinced to go on the other side on this issue yet.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Media7 this week is really interesting.

http://tvnz.co.nz/media7/s8-ep20-video-4929754

Great panel - Hooten, Edwards (who wears that shirt too often) and Mike Williams. Hooten makes best observation over the school teacher backdown yet - none of the leadership team of the Gov involved with this were electorate MPs: neither English nor Key live in their electorates or spend time there, and Joyce and Parata are list MPs. Out of touch and looking likely to fall out of power.

Hooten seems happy to see this lot gently caress up. I think that the Right are now nearly as disillusioned at the performance of Key's mob as the Left.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

dusty posted:

Hooten seems happy to see this lot gently caress up. I think that the Right are now nearly as disillusioned at the performance of Key's mob as the Left.

Hooten, when he appears on Citizen A has been pretty down on the Nats for some time as well and I vaguely remember him pretty much outright stating that once or twice.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Someone on Reddit dug up some old audio of Key from 2003 when NZ didn't go in to Iraq as part of the invasion. Key wasn't very happy, and perhaps sounds a bit tipsy. It would have been better if they had the Parliament footage rather than the stock footage of bodies being returned from combat etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpIXgJ7r2vU

Oh and Stuff is again showing quality journalism is not even a fond memory

Varkk fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

You missed the one from earlier titled SBW TECH HEAD

• Locked thread