Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Badger of Basra posted:

Eripsa posted:

I have several papers, a few books, and one novel that are itching to get out, the way last night's tacos were itching to get out this morning.

Even after multiple threads of his feverish messianic delusions I have a hard time believing he actually posted that, or that he doubled-down on the analogy shortly thereafter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Even after multiple threads of his feverish messianic delusions I have a hard time believing he actually posted that, or that he doubled-down on the analogy shortly thereafter.

I'm worried for Baez's safety. Should we warn him he may have a potential deranged "fan" (read: stalker)? :ohdear:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Badger of Basra posted:

my intramural volleyball team got beat by a team with a combo rape joke/pun name

Well what was it?

In early college our fraternity rec (not serious, usually drunk) team was called Big Sausage Pizza.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

surprise butt sets

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
That's actually kind of funny but I'm a sucker for terrible puns.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Badger of Basra posted:

my intramural volleyball team got beat by a team with a combo rape joke/pun name

You have shamed us all and brought great dishonor on forums.somethingawful.com. You must atone.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Based on what we know of him I'm guessing the reason for all the itching is that no journal will publish anything he writes.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Discendo Vox posted:

Based on what we know of him I'm guessing the reason for all the itching is that no journal will publish anything he writes.

That might explain his supposed disdain for publication, though whether that's cover for past failures or anticipation of the same to come remains unclear.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Academic publication is a terrible, political, arbitrary place in which professional success or failure can be up to a roll of the dice. It's not necessarily a sign of poor quality that someone fails to get published or get tenure. There are a lot of very very smart adjunct faculty out there, and not being able to publish really shouldn't be a mark of shame.

On the other hand, the attacks on the publishing system, the bizarre decision to air/defend his ideas on Something Awful, and the ideas themselves, suggest that in this case there are other possible explanations for why these publications are still "itching".

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 24, 2014

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
http://www.sj-r.com/article/20141023/News/141029758

The school I'm currently attending(as a non-traditional student) just eliminated their traditional student program, and is firing 75 out of 100 staff/faculty.

I am freaking out, that is all.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
im also havign a bad night lol

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the canadian shooter used a Winchester lever action repeater. the conservative MPs got the PM into a closet for safety, then fashioned protective spears out of canadian flags. i have literally never felt this patriotic :canada:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I can only it was not an actual closest but the thought of Canadian MPs not knowing how to react to a lockdown and chucking the prime minister in a broom closest is p funny

E: oh my god this is literally what happened, a Tory actually shoved him into a coat closest

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 24, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Discendo Vox posted:

Here and I thought he just needed to wipe better.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

Here and I thought he just needed to wipe better.

There's a very obvious joke about what he could use here.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Your posts?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

moller posted:

Your posts?

The irregular word size would be too scratchy.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

moller posted:

Your posts?

Close, it's all of D&D.

(The D stands for double ply.)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

SporkOfTruth posted:

Close, it's all of D&D.

(The D stands for double ply.)

There's two Ds in D&D. What does the other D stand for?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
If I understand the eripsa stuff well enough, (note: i don't) eripsa's inherent fame and renown means that as soon as he begins noticing and paying attention to the situation down there, hundreds of slightly less famous people will come and give him a wipe, thereby enhancing their own influence. It's like that scene in The Holy Mountain where poo poo literally turns to gold.

moller fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 24, 2014

Eripsa
Jan 13, 2002

Proud future citizen of Pitcairn.

Pitcairn is the perfect place for me to set up my utopia!
more like Salo

http://vimeo.com/68045309

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
hello eripsa

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Hey eris what's up? I've read exaxtly 0 of your posts outside of this thread, so I'm gonna assume you're a pretty chill dude. What's your favorite thing to eat for breakfast?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

"Walls work, that's why they're around the White House." ~ Steve King
Okay, that didn't get enough love.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I have literally never met anyone who calls it anything but the brand name they want or 'soda', I think all these 'pop' and 'Coke for everything' people are cartoon characters we're all convinced must be real.
I'd still say Coke if I hadn't had to adjust internationally.

comes along bort posted:

i've known people (note the plural) who call it co-cola

also you must only know children because it's very much an older person thing. same with wooder and warshington
My Great Aunt was the personal secretary for Mr. Woodruff for decades and you better believe she called everything "Cochchhola" in that weird Atlanta accent that no one else uses until the day she died, heh.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

it's gonna be fuckin awesome when miami sinks below the waves in 20 years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThogWesUQog

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I had no idea I had an accent until I went to Houston and everyone instantly started asking me if I was from Atlanta

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ugh I'm looking at a ballot and the green party candidate for US 35 doesn't have her name capitalized.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Someone at AT&T U-Verse accidentally tripped the Presidential emergency alert system, which is supposed to be used in the event of a new 9/11 or a nuclear attack.

I'm sure :foxnews: viewers weren't alarmed by this at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wpuld've shot myself for real.

Also glad to see that Canadians polite progresseive facade is just that and they hate non white people just like the rest of us.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

visceril posted:

What's your favorite thing to eat for breakfast?

I just discovered that 3 fried eggs served over some Top Ramen (using Mr. Noodles now because it is cheaper) is a wonderful breakfast.

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 24, 2014

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The sound of 100M old white people making GBS threads themselves.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

Academic publication is a terrible, political, arbitrary place in which professional success or failure can be up to a roll of the dice. It's not necessarily a sign of poor quality that someone fails to get published or get tenure. There are a lot of very very smart adjunct faculty out there, and not being able to publish really shouldn't be a mark of shame.

On the other hand, the attacks on the publishing system, the bizarre decision to air/defend his ideas on Something Awful, and the ideas themselves, suggest that in this case there are other possible explanations for why these publications are still "itching".

Academic publishing might be arbitrary but there are so many goddamn academic journals these days you can find somewhere that will publish your stuff. I've been published in a tiny magazine and a graduate/post-doc journal which don't exactly hold extremely high standards. Everyone's trying to get essay compilation books published left and right so if you can find someone with a similar interest you'll probably be invited to a workshop, present, and get a chapter published.

So I disagree, it isn't impossible to get published as long as you're willing to bend to the peer editor's will and make changes. Now getting an academic job is terrible, political, and arbitrary.

CoolCab posted:

the canadian shooter used a Winchester lever action repeater. the conservative MPs got the PM into a closet for safety, then fashioned protective spears out of canadian flags. i have literally never felt this patriotic :canada:

And now to balance out the funy part with the very sad part: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/10/23/nathan-cirillo-dogs-photos_n_6037358.html

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I just discovered that 3 fried eggs served over some Top Ramen (using Mr. Noodles now because it is cheaper) is a wonderful breakfast.

This is how I tend to deal with leftovers: try it up in a pan with an egg and it becomes revitalized and yummy again.

Now I'm extremely cheap and have no problem with leftovers but my wife won't touch something older than 2 days for w/e reason

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Dreylad posted:

So I disagree, it isn't impossible to get published as long as you're willing to bend to the peer editor's will and make changes. Now getting an academic job is terrible, political, and arbitrary.

You're likely right- I'm projecting my own fears as I gear up for my first major round of submissions.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

You're likely right- I'm projecting my own fears as I gear up for my first major round of submissions.

Good luck! It's a rough process, especially when you run into a peer reviewer you really disagree with but the editor board likes, but it is satisfying to see your name and article in print.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

Someone at AT&T U-Verse accidentally tripped the Presidential emergency alert system, which is supposed to be used in the event of a new 9/11 or a nuclear attack.

I'm sure :foxnews: viewers weren't alarmed by this at all.

:stare: xkcd prophetic as usual:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Last weekend in the mountainous Austrian state of Vorarlberg, 400 gnomes disappeared

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

CoolCab posted:

O Canada indeed. That's pretty :black101: "Call in the pikes!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Behold the ultimate regionalism chat catalyst: the top missed connections locations on Craigslist.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'll preempt ReindeerF and laugh at my region for having missed connections in a bar.

Also, Indiana's "at home" is a bit troubling. :pedo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Missed connection in a bar just seems so sad.

• Locked thread