Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Are there any modern bikes out there with similar, classic, straight-along-the-top styling to the Triumph retro trio or the W800 with similar or larger engine apart from Honda's CB1100, Harley's XR1200, or the Ducati Sport?

ZRX / Hornet 919 / CB1300 / GSX 1400 / XJR 1300 but they all aren't that retro.

Edit: I forgot about the BMW Nine-T which is probably the closest to what you're looking for?

High Protein fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Spiffness posted:

I check it about twice a week. Every time I open it, I glance at the articles, groan, close it and wonder why I can't break the habit of opening it.

It's complete and total poo poo.

The reviews are the best though. Every bike is 10/10 and also here's a truck review! a Ski-doo!

It's quite possible some of the articles are written by people with little to no first hand experience on a content mill type site. I've written tons of blogs, including a few motorcycle ones: http://harleyinsider.com/how-to-dry-out-a-rainy-camping-trip-with-american-iron-and-gasoline/

In which I included a kinda stupid/dangerous but awesome tip on how to start a fire I discovered last time I went camping.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

High Protein posted:

ZRX / Hornet 919 / CB1300 / GSX 1400 / XJR 1300 but they all aren't that retro.

Edit: I forgot about the BMW Nine-T which is probably the closest to what you're looking for?

Moto Guzzi V7 series. They're underpowered but foine.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Or this one, which has an alarmingly simple explanation for trail braking and a bunch of stuff everyone already knows: https://rideapart.com/2013/08/10-motorcycle-riding-tricks-you-dont-know-yet/

RideAShit posted:

Up Next: Steer Left To Go Right – Page 2 >>

:catstare:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

So is RideApart just trying to be a motorcycle Buzzfeed? All they need is a "15 Gifs of how you feel when riding a bike".

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Can we keep making GBS threads on RideApart?
I dunno about RideApart but please do keep making GBS threads on Wes Siler if possible.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

They're multiplying

I thought shark were dedicated to only making helmets that actually work and are really safe? How does this factor into that?

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Deeters posted:

So is RideApart just trying to be a motorcycle Buzzfeed? All they need is a "15 Gifs of how you feel when riding a bike".

I found rideapart as a youtube channel, and I actually thought it was pretty cool, then they stopped making new videos, and started the blog page and now it is just useless. at least before there was some decent cinematography.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey how did the Hell-for-leather pay model experiment work out

*google Hell-for-leather, an actual tumbleweed rolls across my desk*

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

I thought shark were dedicated to only making helmets that actually work and are really safe? How does this factor into that?

Making money off dumb people.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I could've posted the Shark half-helmet with weird splines molded into the visor to I think make you look like you have shark teeth

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

Hey how did the Hell-for-leather pay model experiment work out

*google Hell-for-leather, an actual tumbleweed rolls across my desk*

Poor Wes Siler, no one wants to pay him for his unique brand of humor and snark. :saddowns:

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Sagebrush posted:

What's your reasoning here? Do you hate something about all seven bikes you mentioned? Or do you think that the 1000+ cc displacement isn't enough?

Like seriously that is actually quite a wide range of different motorcycles you've described so I can't figure out what exactly you're looking for.

Oh, absolutely nothing. I mean, I've ridden a Bonneville and dug it, but it had fairly uninspiring performance. I'm not so much looking for a particular bike as I am curious about what kind of relatively large retro-styled bikes built on modern tech are out there.

I've been riding for five months and own a Ninja 300. I don't know from poo poo about motorcycles generally, I was just curious.

High Protein, that BMW looks insane.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ZRX1200. It's pretty retro styled and has a ridiculous engine and equally ridiculously floppy chassis. I have one and it is good and gets more attention than both big shiny chrome bikes and swoopy pointy sportsbikes.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
If you're in EU or an Asian market all the Japanese brands still have twin-shock retro muscebikes.

That being said, there's a reason these things have been replaced, the monoshocks and aluminum perimeter frames of more modern rides really do give much better handling for lower weight. If you're concerned with performance it's easier to start from a modern naked and slap a retro light / redo the goofy modern plastics than it is to take a twin-shock retro muscler and make it turn well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Oh, absolutely nothing. I mean, I've ridden a Bonneville and dug it, but it had fairly uninspiring performance. I'm not so much looking for a particular bike as I am curious about what kind of relatively large retro-styled bikes built on modern tech are out there.

I've been riding for five months and own a Ninja 300. I don't know from poo poo about motorcycles generally, I was just curious.

High Protein, that BMW looks insane.

Gen 1 naked bandit 1200 :getin:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Is anyone going to the MCN show at Excel (London) next Feb? All of my non-internet friends don't want to go because they don't want to be tempted by the shiny...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Is anyone going to the MCN show at Excel (London) next Feb? All of my non-internet friends don't want to go because they don't want to be tempted by the shiny...

I'd probably be up for it if I'm not working. I might even be able to drag out some non-internet friends too.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I see a ton of people on Ducatis and GIXXARS doing that, too. Some of them hover their feet all the way through the intersection, and I even saw one guy who just didn't put his feet on the pegs at all from stoplight to stoplight. Seems kind of weak. Me, I like to see just how slow I can go before I need to put my feet down.

When I'm making a right turn (equivalent of a US left) it's always a game of "how slow can I putter out into the intersection feathering the clutch/brakes without having to put a foot down". I am easily amused.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

I'd probably be up for it if I'm not working. I might even be able to drag out some non-internet friends too.

Cool. A friend reckons he can get a discount so I'll let you know if he gets back to me.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
http://youtu.be/BBAtAM7vtgc?t=1m45s

So what bike is that? I think something is wrong with the suspension.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

epalm posted:

http://youtu.be/BBAtAM7vtgc?t=1m45s

So what bike is that? I think something is wrong with the suspension.

Ok. I know that I too old to "get" Kanye, and my appreciation for hip hop ended with the 20th century, but that is without a doubt the worst piece of "music" I have ever heard in my life. "Disjointed" doesn't even begin to describe it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Gweenz posted:

Ok. I know that I too old to "get" Kanye, and my appreciation for hip hop ended with the 20th century, but that is without a doubt the worst piece of "music" I have ever heard in my life. "Disjointed" doesn't even begin to describe it.

It's seriously the most awkward and clumsy song I've heard yet from a guy that basically pays his bills these days talking over already established EDM tunes. Bizarrely enough it's apparently a big hit.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm not nearly middle class suburbanite enough to "get" Kanye

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I wasn't sure if it was the actual song or a lovely mash up video the first time I saw it.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's seriously the most awkward and clumsy song I've heard yet from a guy that basically pays his bills these days talking over already established EDM tunes. Bizarrely enough it's apparently a big hit.

I am reminded of the episode of the Sopranos where Hesh says something to the effect of "You know a hit when you hear it". Well I know a hit whether I like the style of music or not, and THAT AIN'T IT. At this point he could record himself reading the back of a box of Kix, set it to the sound of moose humping, and the media would declare it "bold".

"I wanna gently caress you hard in a sink - and after that get you somethin to drink"

I have nothing to say. To get back on topic, a KLR maybe?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'm pretty sure it's a WR of some sort, but not 100% on that.

Also, maybe Kanye just really found meaning in youtube poop and wanted to bring that magic to the masses.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't think it's a KLR -- it doesn't seem to have a headlight. WR or another dirt bike looks about right.

I think it's a bold choice to make Kim Kardashian's hair blow towards the front of the motorcycle instead of the back. They must have one heck of a tailwind.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In a semi-related vein:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNYJNI7HSsA

Is it a ducati?

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
Looks like a 2007-2012 Ninja 250.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pretty sure that's a Ninja 650.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Yep, it's a Ninja 650. I have one.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008
Anyone going to the IoM TT this year? Booked ferries and lookinga at camping at the minute, exciting stuff :)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I need to do it one of these years. My dad will probably be retired by the time I can, so it should be an awesome father-son thing. :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What's the best GSXR forum... especially for track setup / parts for sale? I think I bought a 2006 GSXR750 w/ 18k miles for $4000. Has a Yoshimura CF TRC slipon (the one with the weird second muffler thing), braided lines f/r, Woodcraft rearsets, Woodcraft case savers, X-TRE, PC3 USB, and a few other little things. Needs a chain, front master replaced under recall, and a Yoshimura exhaust bracket.

And probably an Elka/Penske/Ohlins out back, AK20/Ohlins/K-Tech/whatever up front, Brembo master, cam swap, etc etc etc etc because I know myself so well. Shiny toys.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 27, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Wera classifieds.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I drove to work for the first time in about 3 months today, and the first time driving at all in about a month. A couple notes from my morning commute:

-Driving a car is super claustrophobic now. I felt super cramped and kept freaking out about the lower visibility. The car is so slow in comparison to the bike I felt totally maneuverable. The car also felt extraordinarily huge, even though it's a Honda Fit.

-Why the hell do so many drivers not use turn signals? It's so easy, again especially in comparison to a bike. You just hit it and forget about it. It's so effortless and imparts such an important amount of information to other drivers/riders.

-My hands were less comfortable holding a cold steering wheel than wearing gloves on the motorcycle until about the last couple minutes of my 20 minute commute. It was actually really annoying me that I was as uncomfortable as I was in the car.

-I was in a much worse mood when I got to work. There's just something rejuvenating about riding a bike. I'm sleepier, crankier, and just generally feel so much worse right now than I normally do in the morning. Whenever I look out the window to where I usually park the bike I wish I had weathered whatever bullshit that's on the road today and ridden in.

In conclusion, gently caress driving. Thankfully this current storm that kept me off the bike should be gone before my next commute.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

That's probably because you were driving a Honda Fit.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Fifty Three posted:

That's probably because you were driving a Honda Fit.

6 months ago I might have gotten mad at the implication that the Fit is anything other than the perfect vehicle (for my uses). But now, ehh. Though honestly, I don't think most of my problems with driving would be solved by a different car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Koruthaiolos posted:

-Why the hell do so many drivers not use turn signals?

Because gently caress you I'm the center of the universe!