Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F hole
May 13, 2008

I really want to get one of these electric tenors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

One of these bad boys:

(not my picture)

Edit: It's a Black Arts Toneworks LSTR, if anyone was wondering.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 26, 2015

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

F hole posted:

I really want to get one of these electric tenors.

Do it. I bought something similar not too long ago. I think mine was intended as some sort of piccolo bass though as it's got big bass tuners on there but still pretty much the same thing. That string spacing and the short scale is a ton of fun.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I didn't know things like that existed before your post and now I want one.

I have a Seagull Merlin which is a dulcimer-type thing and it's been a ton of fun to play with.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Eastwood makes the fun weird stuff.

F hole
May 13, 2008

Also posting my newest purchase. A Gibson Tenor banjo from 1927 that's been converted to a five string.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
How do you convert the neck of a banjo? Or is there a new neck on it? I mean, the fretboard changes...

F hole
May 13, 2008

Warcabbit posted:

How do you convert the neck of a banjo? Or is there a new neck on it? I mean, the fretboard changes...

Yup, new neck.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Why does the top string start at the 5th fret? Why not just 5 strings all the way through?

I always wondered that about Banjos. Maybe a stupid question? But I am curious.

Pretty cool purchase though.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 26, 2015

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dirt posted:

Why does the top string start at the 5th fret? Why not just 5 strings all the way through?

I always wondered that about Banjos. Maybe a stupid question? But I am curious.

Pretty cool purchase though.

It's a drone string. A high note you can fit into your banjo rolls which creates that amazing banjo cascading sound. It's one of the reason banjo-guitars probably aren't more popular. They sound banjo-y but those riffs are harder to do without the drone string.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dr. Faustus posted:

It's a drone string. A high note you can fit into your banjo rolls which creates that amazing banjo cascading sound. It's one of the reason banjo-guitars probably aren't more popular. They sound banjo-y but those riffs are harder to do without the drone string.

This, and considering many banjos have a scale length slightly longer than most guitars, that high string would have be really thin. It seems odd when you're not used to how banjos play but it's a great setup.

Beautiful banjo by the way :)

W424
Oct 21, 2010

A pair of Adam F7's

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
A while ago I rewired my SG and in the process of figuring it out I stumbled onto this 7-switch wiring diagram at 1728.org to allow full control over every coil in a double humbucking guitar. I thought to myself "Gee, it sure would be awesome if I could figure out how to work all of that into my Dimarzio-fitted Jaguar HH using only the holes and switches already on the guitar and without doing irreversible cosmetic damage to anything..."

I thought long and hard about taking apart standard DPDT slider switches and cutting their knobs in half lengthwise so that each side would only act on the switching mechanism of one pole, but I would need an incredibly thin and accurate cutting tool to do so, but I don't. And because I don't, I abandoned the idea when I realized the only other option would be to drill a hole for at least one more switch. Nuts to that!

Fast-forward a few months. I'm doing some spring cleaning and decide to take apart the controller for my broken $20 remote controlled helicopter so that I can recycle its plastic and gain mystical voodoo knowledge of how it's possible to make and sell a remote controlled helicopter with remote for only $20. Inside I found, among other things, two very tiny sliding SPDT switches, and I immediately remembered the 7-switch diagram from 1728. So I got out the calipers, measured the tiny switches, compared them to the standard DPDT switches in the Jaguar already, and realized that it's possible to take the single vertical sliding mechanism out of the larger DPDT slide switch and replace it with two smaller horizontally actuated SPDT switches. So that's what I'm going to do.

After countless hours of scouring the internet for part numbers and design schematics, I've finally settled on what I hope will be the most suitable tiny switches.

Twenty of them are now on their way to me for a trial run. I'll have to grind off the screw wings to make them fit sideways in the larger DPDT enclosures, but they should do the trick. Assuming I don't accidentally destroy any in the process, I might have enough to make two or three extra switches that I could sell to anyone who would have a similar use for one on their own guitar.

:q:

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I
Ever since seeing this young girl playing a strange three string guitar at a market in Bangkok, I've been enchanted by the Thai instrument called the phin. Ive been talking to a guy who makes custom electric phins north of Bangkok, and should be visiting him in a couple of weeks to pick one up. The tuning is EAE so it shouldn't be too hard to fool around with. Its got a kinda psychedelic surf rock mandolin sound. I cant wait!
http://youtu.be/Vd9pp_BomWo
http://youtu.be/tRg410DDeQE

F hole
May 13, 2008

DarkSun6890 posted:

Ever since seeing this young girl playing a strange three string guitar at a market in Bangkok, I've been enchanted by the Thai instrument called the phin. Ive been talking to a guy who makes custom electric phins north of Bangkok, and should be visiting him in a couple of weeks to pick one up. The tuning is EAE so it shouldn't be too hard to fool around with. Its got a kinda psychedelic surf rock mandolin sound. I cant wait!

Phins are awesome! I have one from a dude on ebay who sells them from thailand. I didn't bother to try to get one when I was actually there... No doubt you're going to get one of higher quality and for less money.

The frets are diatonic too so it's way easier to noodle around with.

Here's my buddy playing mine.

F hole fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 28, 2015

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
Its going to have two humbucker pickups, and i got him to add on some frets, so i should have about 23. Couldn't believe its only gonna be about $250. The guy does beautiful work.
https://facebook.com/ethengthai

DarkSun6890 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 28, 2015

F hole
May 13, 2008

Those are awesome, and for an awesome price too!

Here's some inspiration for your new axe! It's Cambodian, but should be the same idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNRtHgii84w

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005

F hole posted:

The frets are diatonic too so it's way easier to noodle around with.

You've got me thinking. Like I said I was going to have the guy building it add frets for me to make it chromatic instead of diatonic. I can play a little guitar, but was planning on really focusing on getting better this year. I wanted to have the phin to play with at the same time while focusing on guitar. This might not be the right place to ask, but what is the consensus on chromatic vs diatonic. Wouldn't it be easier to translate what I'm learning on guitar over to a chromatic phin?

F hole posted:

Those are awesome, and for an awesome price too!

Here's some inspiration for your new axe! It's Cambodian, but should be the same idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNRtHgii84w

That double neck looks and sounds awesome! The place I'm getting mine done does double necks too.

F hole
May 13, 2008

These instruments are esoteric enough that I can think of no consensus, at least in the west. I dunno if it'll be easier to translate because Phins
are supposed to be tuned EAE' ( an octave with a fourth) and the like, and there's no direct analogue of that on a standard tuned guitar, but I
suppose you can tune a Phin EAD and play it like the lowest three strings of a guitar.

All I can offer are my two thoughts on whether or not to go with the chromatic frets

1) You can play pentatonic phin on a chromatic phin, but not the other way around, so it makes a lot more sense to go with the chromatic version

2) The diatonic tuning is part of what makes a phin a phin, kind of how a fifth drone string is part of what makes a banjo a banjo or a high fourth G string makes a ukulele a ukulele

Whether or not to go with the chromatic frets depends on how much you care about those two things.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

After 20+ years of collecting pieces and playing on this, an early 90's Pearl Export kit with the old Pearl rack and a fuckton of whatever clamps, booms, and stands were cheapest:

I've gone hog wild and upgraded to this:

DW Performance series in Indigo Glass, a finish exclusive to my local shop. They've been the top DW distributor/retailer/something-or-other for the last 5 years, and this custom finish is one of the perks from DW. It's loving gorgeous, the lovely cell phone pic and lighting in the studio doesn't do it justice.

8", 10", 12" rack toms, 14", 16" floor toms, 18" kick, 6.5" x 14" snare. All with the maple HVX shells, which give them a slightly lower tone and super meaty body. These fuckers sing.

Also got the Roland SPD-SX to replace my Alesis Control Pad/laptop/interface that never wanted to work and was way more of a pain than it was worth.

I kept my cymbals (Zildjian Mastersound hats, Armand ride, chinese, A Custom crash & splash, and a couple old Sabian crashes) and my old 70's Ludwig Supraphonic :allears: , as well as two Roland trigger pads and a kick pad.

Hardware is all 9000 series. Still tweaking the setup - after I took these pics I decided to lose the stand I had for the ride, put it on the one I had the chinese on, then just use a dogbone for the chinese. I was a little wary of using the dogbones just because of my experience with lovely clamps on my old setup, but I have two toms, two crashes and a splash on one stand (double tom stand with the built-in cymbal stand, a dogbone cymbal arm on that, then another on that one) and that puppy doesn't even wiggle an inch.

I gotta say, this is like going from a '92 Saturn to a 2015 BMW. The pedals are so loving responsive it's insane. The slave pedal has the EXACT same feel, power, and response as the primary, I never got that with the Pearl Eliminators (which were supposed to be their top of the line model at the time). The rest of the hardware weighs a ton so I know they're never creeping around. And the drums themselves, holy gently caress are they loud and beautiful - and I haven't even tuned them properly yet!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
JRR had a special with Bitwig Studio and an Arturia Minilab for $249. Given that that's cheaper than Bitwig on its own, I decided to go ahead and take the plunge and either sell the Minilab or my QX25 depending on which one I end up liking better. I've been using Logic for a while, and it's okay. There's a lot of stuff about Bitwig that looks interesting, though, so I'm hoping I like it well enough for it to replace Logic in my setup. We shall see!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
[quote="Lazlow" post="442287295"]
After 20+ years of collecting pieces and playing on this, an early 90's Pearl Export kit with the old Pearl rack and a fuckton of whatever clamps, booms, and stands were cheapest:

I'm not a drummer, but drat that's good looking. Do the dimples in the drumheads have any appreciable results?

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Not sure if you're being facetious, but dimples in heads usually aren't a good thing. If you mean the white bars around the edge, those are strips of coating for a bit of dampening, to control ringing overtones. The front head on the kick has some dime-sized vent holes too.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

I think he saw the nuts on the inside of the drum through the heads in this pic and thought that they were built in dimples or something

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Lazlow posted:

Also got the Roland SPD-SX to replace my Alesis Control Pad/laptop/interface that never wanted to work and was way more of a pain than it was worth.

Having played with a drummer who had the SPD-X, I have to ask... what video game samples have you put on there?

With us, finding and sampling games to add to our drum sound seriously cut down on practice time. Which wasn't a bad thing, since he was booted a few months after I joined and the world never got to heir our "MEIN LABEN!" crash cymbal.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

boxcarhobo posted:

I think he saw the nuts on the inside of the drum through the heads in this pic and thought that they were built in dimples or something

Ohh, I'll bet it was the reflection of the string of lights on the wall behind.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

After The War posted:

Having played with a drummer who had the SPD-X, I have to ask... what video game samples have you put on there?

With us, finding and sampling games to add to our drum sound seriously cut down on practice time. Which wasn't a bad thing, since he was booted a few months after I joined and the world never got to heir our "MEIN LABEN!" crash cymbal.

WHO DO YOU TAKE ME FOR SIRRAH I AM A SERIOUS MUSICIAN WITH SERIOUS MUSokay but seriously being a child of the Eighties I will have no less than 7.3 metric fucktons of classic arcade samples and Thundercats sound clips. This thing has a massive 10 hours of sampling time - I've already loaded over 2000 samples from my own collection. Which is probably dumb because now I have to sign them to kits/pads and that's going to take forever.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

boxcarhobo posted:

I need to clean my screen. Yep, those are nuts.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I got a baby shredder. (I've had the Matsumoko for a long time now, but it's here for scale.) I've been considering a tiny Tele for a short scale, but I couldn't pass this down. :3:

Was wandering around GC with a friend and saw a short scale ESP that was right up my alley and super temptingly priced around $150, but put it back since I didn't have quite that much fun money in the budget... and then on my way out spotted this Laguna which was slightly less flashy but exactly the same features and $79. Bought it on the spot. Needed a little bit of setup (intonation around 17 and up was off) and the tone knob had to be replaced since it was scratching the paint off, but that found a new home on by bass and this little dude plays like a dream.

SuperiorToaster
Jul 22, 2004
Inferior
Fun Shoe

Beautiful, I'm intensely jealous even with the bad lighting. But i have to ask... why the 18" kick? That seems pretty small for double bass and with all those toms / hardware I doubt space is a concern.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Lazlow posted:

WHO DO YOU TAKE ME FOR SIRRAH I AM A SERIOUS MUSICIAN WITH SERIOUS MUSokay but seriously being a child of the Eighties I will have no less than 7.3 metric fucktons of classic arcade samples and Thundercats sound clips. This thing has a massive 10 hours of sampling time - I've already loaded over 2000 samples from my own collection. Which is probably dumb because now I have to sign them to kits/pads and that's going to take forever.

Suggestion - take the "boom, boom" background "music" from Custer's Revenge and use that as your click track.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

SuperiorToaster posted:

Beautiful, I'm intensely jealous even with the bad lighting. But i have to ask... why the 18" kick? That seems pretty small for double bass and with all those toms / hardware I doubt space is a concern.

TBQH they didn't have a 20" (my usual size) in stock, so I figured I'd try it and if I didn't like it I'd swap it out for a 20" later. But (at the risk of sounding like an advertisement) the HVX shell gives it such a low tone it's actually lower and punchier than my old Export 20". In fact, it's so much louder I'm finding that I need to back off it some. Once I get the pedals dialed in I'll get much more power with a lot less effort. It's amazing what good equipment does for you!

Also I don't play metal, I'm more groove oriented, so I usually only use the double pedal for accents or fills. I was a little concerned that the floor tom would be too close in tone to the kick with only a 2" difference, but there's a big enough difference. Plus the floor tom is wide open and the kick is dampened, and once I tune all the toms high like I like them, it'll sound even better.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

gently caress that is beautiful, man.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

praxis posted:

gently caress that is beautiful, man.
:agreed:
I'm not a drummer, just a weedly-do guitarist who (I think) has good taste in drummers. I'd love to hear your thoughts (or clips) of the new kit once you've tuned it.

One of my biggest pet peeves in music was drummers who didn't know anything about tuning drums.

"I'm the loudest drummer you'll ever meet!" :smug:

(then nice to meet you, I'll look for someone else)

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Dr. Faustus posted:

"I'm the loudest drummer you'll ever meet!" :smug:

In the middle of a two-week tour last summer, my drummer had an epiphany that "If I don't play my drums as hard as I can, I can hear everyone else in the band AND they sound better!"

Only took him a shade under 10 years to figure that poo poo out.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Noise Machine posted:

In the middle of a two-week tour last summer, my drummer had an epiphany that "If I don't play my drums as hard as I can, I can hear everyone else in the band AND they sound better!"

Only took him a shade under 10 years to figure that poo poo out.

Yeah I learned that when I finally took a drumming class in college. Hold your sticks right, play with your wrists and fingers more than your shoulders and elbows, and don't beat the poo poo out of the drums unless you actually need to. You'll quickly find that you're faster, more accurate, have better dynamics, and can pull poo poo off that you can't do if you're swinging your sticks like a baseball bat.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I learned that when I finally took a drumming class in college. Hold your sticks right, play with your wrists and fingers more than your shoulders and elbows, and don't beat the poo poo out of the drums unless you actually need to. You'll quickly find that you're faster, more accurate, have better dynamics, and can pull poo poo off that you can't do if you're swinging your sticks like a baseball bat.

God I'm having flashbacks to my lovely college alt-rock cover band. Who needs to play in tempo? Not us! *furiously covers the spin doctors*

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

This always drove me crazy. You can play so much more expressively when not drumming like a caveman, and I've almost never played where I couldn't be heard over the rest of a band. If your drums can't be heard then they either need to be microphoned or the sound guy sucks at balancing things.

Lazlow posted:

That's a nice set up. Stuff like this makes me miss not having a real set. Apartment living since college has forced me to just have an electronic set, which isn't as fun to play.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Check out this totes sweet 18" piece of aluminum I just got in the mail!

I'm gonna level the poo poo outta some frets with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Are you going to use a neck jig? I've always wanted to do my own fretwork but the price of the tools seems... prohibitive. And the last thing I want to do is ruin a neck. I just want to level/crown/polish frets, not replace them.