Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-15/joe-hockey-declares-sydney-siege-a-terrorist-incident/6019410

Can someone explain this to me:
"Treasurer Joe Hockey said the declaration prevents insurers from refusing claims if their policies exclude losses from acts of terrorism."

Wouldn't declaring it a terrorist incident allow for terrorism exclusions to be applied?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Kial posted:

While I agree the case is unrelated to wider refugee policy, why let someone like this into the country? Send him home. Is there something I'm missing in the case here?

You can't just revoke protection visas when it's convenient. Well you can, but you shouldn't

EDIT: What I mean to say is, visas shouldn't be instruments of punitive justice.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Amethyst posted:

Hotline Miami 2 has been refused classification.

And to think we had our hopes on R18.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Almost as though the R18 classification push was a convenient way to redistribute the ones that would already get classification and to leave the rest as unclassified.

It's... like... it was co-opted...

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Mithranderp posted:

I was looking at teaching jobs and 9/10 ads I saw were only .8 FTE because nobody wants to pay holidays anymore. Yay.

Yup.

Seagull posted:

They start up a new term-long contract every term.

Yup.

Senor Tron posted:

Every term? Christ.

My sister is a primary teacher and I know in her first couple of years she had to deal with contracts that just covered a 6 month period, didn't know it had got that bad though.

Yup.

Gentleman Baller posted:

How the hell is this legal. Holy poo poo.

I don't know, but it seems like it's pretty common (given that I had a brief look for teaching jobs half way through last year and at the end of the year), and it's only going to increase as more people accept the contracts.

gently caress being a teacher and then having to find another job over the holidays or use up your savings while you do all the work you need to prepare for the next term.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Is the teachers' union doing anything about this?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Seagull posted:

They start up a new term-long contract every term.

In Queensland (at least in the public sector) most of the new contracts are late January - early December, meaning that you get the between-term "holidays" (half of which you will probably have to use for planning anyway), but you won't get paid for the year-end holiday. This is really poo poo, and as someone considering a career in teaching (and who would be a pretty good teacher) I find this to be a huge deterrent. As if the pay isn't low enough already, now you get to take a lovely summer holiday job, just like the teenagers you teach!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I was googling around. I know there are countries from which you pretty much can't get tourist visas to visit Australia (hence to claim asylum) because DIBP just rejects anyone from that country to prevent it.

There's also the story of the woman who was an author in Sri Lanka who had threats against her, went to the Australian embassy to claim asylum, they told her, she couldn't apply from inside the country and had to flee the country first to claim asylum in Australia since only if she fled the country would there be proof her life was in danger. So she fled the country went to a different Australian embassy and they were like "Lol, you fled the country, you're safe now, no refugee status for you." I remember it, but can't find the article on that one either.

I did find this though, which is goddamn depressing.
http://www.australia-asylum.com/

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Fart

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Kial posted:

While I agree the case is unrelated to wider refugee policy, why let someone like this into the country? Send him home. Is there something I'm missing in the case here?
The article says

quote:

The Department of Immigration has recognised that Australia could not return Basikbasik to Indonesia because there was a real risk that he would be persecuted there.
Assuming they won't refoul refugees (an assumption that has become less reasonable in recent years) there's no way to boot him out of the country. If he had immigrated here normally (rather than fleeing here) I might be all in favour of kicking him out on character grounds.
Care needs to be taken when deporting people, though, we've deported people who immigrated here as young children and in at least one case the guy was dead within days.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Does anyone know if the government back down on the Medicare changes includes the other $5 reduction and the indexation freeze increase or is it just the $20 reduction to short visits? I want to assume that it does but over the last few years I've become very skeptical with this poo poo and I can't find anything confirming they are not going to be snuck through.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Woohoo great job!

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Periphery posted:

Does anyone know if the government back down on the Medicare changes includes the other $5 reduction and the indexation freeze increase or is it just the $20 reduction to short visits?
Both of them were part of the same thing. Mind you, the last Labor government stopped indexing Medicare payments for GP consults.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Tommofork posted:

Fruity, I can tell you be careful, though. A super common mistake with salary sacrificing is people assuming that what they sacrifice isn't counted as income when working out if they need to make a HECS-HELP compulsory payment and get a rude shock.

Oooh righto I will keep this in mind. No worries about salary sacrificing being dumb in principle for me bc it's NFPs all the way down, just gotta know a smart way to do it bc w my last job I was just doing it for my health insurance which I have since discovered was goofy bc I could have done more. I will consult with hambeet, my new Meyer Lansky.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Tommofork posted:

I dunno I just like talking tax.
:coolcat: :shootme:

I have some questions about TOFA and Transfer Pricing :suicide:

Gentleman Baller posted:

How the hell is this legal. Holy poo poo.

It's pretty standard at least in some places in finance, accounting or consulting. You're still a full time employee with all the perks (annual leave, Long service leave etc) but your contract only goes for one to two years. The contracts generally get rolled over without a problem but they always have an extra option to screw you over if they don't like you.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Kegslayer posted:

It's pretty standard at least in some places in finance, accounting or consulting. You're still a full time employee with all the perks (annual leave, Long service leave etc) but your contract only goes for one to two years. The contracts generally get rolled over without a problem but they always have an extra option to screw you over if they don't like you.

Doctors in public health have this. Need to apply for your job every year. Do get sick / holiday pay etc.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Kegslayer posted:

At my university the researchers all have 1-year contracts. I've heard of universities overseas where postgrads have 1-month contracts.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I cannot understand people like negligent. Best I can do is assume they're just ignorant of the reality of the situation, which is why I wanted to know what they thought of that video. What does a person who posts the things they do see when they see something like that?

But I guess they're just a coward. :shrug:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

The election is coming Brisgoons.
Coming to the next goonmeet will be a strong choice for queenslanders

Mu'ooz Eritrean Restaurant
West End
http://www.muooz.com.au/

EOI
This weekend or next Thursday the 22nd?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Kommando posted:

West End

EOI

I'd prefer this weekend, because I don't get paid til next Friday and CrazyT and I will therefore (probably) be too poor to go out Thursday night.

Also thank you whoever bought me an avatar!

:allears:

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 15, 2015

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I can also do this weekend. The Greens emailed me saying they wont process my membership until after the election.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Kommando posted:

West End

EOI

I'm busy this weekend, but could do next weekend?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Tommofork posted:

Fruity, I can tell you be careful, though. A super common mistake with salary sacrificing is people assuming that what they sacrifice isn't counted as income when working out if they need to make a HECS-HELP compulsory payment and get a rude shock.

Somewhat ironically, I've come across several University payroll departments who don't know this.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I can do Sunday, mind you that's a non-core promise.

Doc Holliday
Dec 24, 2002

Mithranderp posted:

I was looking at teaching jobs and 9/10 ads I saw were only .8 FTE because nobody wants to pay holidays anymore. Yay.

I think you've got things a little mixed up here. All that means is the contract/permanent position is for 4 days a week. You would still get holiday pay, it is just that the rate of pay would be in accordance with a 0.8 loading and how long the position lasts for.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Periphery posted:

Does anyone know if the government back down on the Medicare changes includes the other $5 reduction and the indexation freeze increase or is it just the $20 reduction to short visits? I want to assume that it does but over the last few years I've become very skeptical with this poo poo and I can't find anything confirming they are not going to be snuck through.

quote:

But it still plans to implement less immediate changes, including a $5 reduction to the rebate for adult non-concession patients in July, a cost that GPs are likely to pass on. The government also intends to extend a freeze on indexation of Medicare rebates, meaning it will make no increases to keep pace with inflation until at least July 2018.

Ley’s spokesman said the government remained committed to those two measures “but we’re committed to consulting the medical sector about them” – an apparent sign that other changes were possible.

Medicare rebate cuts ditched as government cites 'confusion' for patients and doctors

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Doc Holliday posted:

I think you've got things a little mixed up here. All that means is the contract/permanent position is for 4 days a week. You would still get holiday pay, it is just that the rate of pay would be in accordance with a 0.8 loading and how long the position lasts for.

Yeah, 0.8 just means 80% of the working week, although if you're like a bunch of my colleagues, you'll end up spending your off day working on stuff anyway.

Also, in Victoria, I am pretty sure that if you have a contract that ends on the last day of school, and you successfully apply for another contract position at the same school to begin on the first school day of the next year, you're entitled to holiday pay. Furthermore, if you're employed on a contract basis three consecutive times, you're eligible to be rolled over into an ongoing position if the school has one available.

I know the system is very different in NSW though, and I assume the other states as well.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

Halo14 posted:

Woohoo great job!

I've found the problem: nailing a hurdle into the ground generally isn't a good idea.

Edit: they managed to fit in another mixed metaphor in that small paragraph, "declared her stamp." What a brilliant job, whoever wrote that.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

katlington posted:

I cannot understand people like negligent. Best I can do is assume they're just ignorant of the reality of the situation, which is why I wanted to know what they thought of that video. What does a person who posts the things they do see when they see something like that?

But I guess they're just a coward. :shrug:

'Burn Australia to the ground'

'Im crying/angry/depressed'

'Kill Scott Morrison'

:goonsay:

I never answered your question because it involves emotional reactions

If we had immigration policy based on emotion then what about the feelings of people and families of those who are raped, beaten and murdered by refugees?

That is a dumb, pearl clutchy argument.

'Oh I will never understand why people don't react in the same way i do' is just to profess your own ignorance, lack of empathy and ability to see more than one side of an issue

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Negligent posted:

The Aristocrats!

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Well that sucks. I wont be getting my hopes up about the senate blocking those changes.

Thanks for the link!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Negligent posted:

'Kill Scott Morrison'

If we had immigration policy based on emotion then what about the feelings of people and families of those who are raped, beaten and murdered by refugees?

I didn't say or imply any of the motivations you attributed to me. You really will do anything but answer my question, wont you? You obviously have opinions on the subject, first thing you posted was about an asylum seeker and look how many words you've already typed just dodging this.

quote:

'Oh I will never understand why people don't react in the same way i do' is just to profess your own ignorance, lack of empathy and ability to see more than one side of an issue
Hehe look at this ignorant person asking questio

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

katlington posted:

I didn't say or imply any of the motivations you attributed to me. You really will do anything but answer my question, wont you? You obviously have opinions on the subject, first thing you posted was about an asylum seeker and look how many words you've already typed just dodging this.

Hehe look at this ignorant person asking questio

look at this dork STILL arguing with negligent. Scrub tier.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Kommando posted:

EOI

Sweet, I've been hoping for an excuse to go back to Mu'ooz! I tried offering to treat my father-in-law, but he rang up wanting to do it on a Sunday, and it turns out they're closed on Sunday, so instead we did an improv sitcom performance themed around the progressively grumpier refusals of an old man to eat anything in West End.

I could make it either this weekend or on the 22nd. Next weekend's no good cause I got a family thing to go to and take photos at.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Splode posted:

look at this dork STILL arguing with negligent. Scrub tier.
Not even, I just want to know what their opinion on a thing is. I'm having more of an argument with you in this post than that.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Doc Holliday posted:

Personally, I'm really glad to know that.

And also really glad that... post...username...combo

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Periphery posted:

Well that sucks. I wont be getting my hopes up about the senate blocking those changes.

Thanks for the link!

The senate are still nominally against the changes, so.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Negligent posted:

'Kill Scott Morrison'

Kyoon gets banned for posting threads and I have to read this poo poo

Fukt world indeed

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

aejix posted:

Kyoon gets banned for posting threads and I have to read this poo poo

Fukt world indeed

No, you don't. Put the stupid rear end in a top hat on ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

I don't know, but it seems like it's pretty common (given that I had a brief look for teaching jobs half way through last year and at the end of the year), and it's only going to increase as more people accept the contracts.

gently caress being a teacher and then having to find another job over the holidays or use up your savings while you do all the work you need to prepare for the next term.

Not sure about any other states but in Tassie, from what I know, if you get a full-year contract you'll get a lump sum payout at the end of the year. Short-term contracts are usually only for long-term relief when a permanent staff member goes on leave, or for bogan-rear end schools with high staff turnover, and some (but not all) term contracts include a holiday period as well. Term/year contracts are used mostly because of the fact that school funding can massively change from year to year or even term to term, so schools which could afford, say, 20 FTE teachers one year might only be able to afford 17 FTE teachers the next. It's lovely but sometimes necessary, though the AEU works hard to make sure there aren't excessive amounts of contract teachers (their official documentation says they'll accept a maximum of 10% of the workforce being fixed-term, or contract, employees)
The pay-off for this system is that if you work for the DoE for long enough (which varies depending on where you work) you'll become a permanent employee of the DoE and they will be legally required to give you work in some form. This is why the Tassie education cuts from the recent government are such a lovely idea; yeah they've cut a bunch of jobs to "save" "money", but there are now a couple hundred teachers who they need to find work for ASAP or they'll end up paying them to do gently caress all (though it HAS put a lot of non-FTE teachers out of work, and most of them are art/HPE/music/ETC. teachers so all those programs are hell of dead).
Independent schools, on the other hand, use contracts because they are morally bankrupt symbols of systematic oppression and the bourgeois which should be torn down by any means necessary.

Anyway, that's teaching for you.

• Locked thread