Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
lol shows how much I know about architecture (sweet gently caress all)

man though Aldrich Park is a bitch to walk through during allergy season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
nothin' beats the cum trees next to Langson

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

baw posted:

how about combining the discussion of modern art with the discussion about architecture
\

pretty sure that a toddler could have designed and constructed this art museum, and painted the paintings in it

that awning is too busy

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Well if we're gettin' into architecture, I'll drop the still-alive Vann Molyvann, whose legacy is slowly being destroyed:

http://www.vannmolyvannproject.org/IMAGES.html

Not as advanced as some of what's out there, of course, but considering where he's from and the period in which he was active it's some fascinating stuff.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ReidRansom posted:

that awning is too busy

It's there to let you know that you paid for something other than rectangles.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

that awning is too busy

also it seems like it would channel rain directly onto people walking under it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't know about other places but I wish Americans were more architecturally literate. So much of our daily lives is shaped by space and building.

I go to big big box stores and I silently rebel.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
busy being awesome

iirc the pattern continues throughout the ceiling and it provides natural diffuse light. he did the same thing for the modern wing at the art institute in chicago

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

SedanChair posted:

Modernism isn't over y'all, postmodernism was a feint. Notice how everything is still Helvetica? yeahhh. Search your feelings you know it to be true.

what could be more postmodern than appropriating modernist aesthetics w/ no regard to meaning? :colbert:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

euphronius posted:

I don't know about other places but I wish Americans were more architecturally literate. So much of our daily lives is shaped by space and building.

I go to big big box stores and I silently rebel.
By shopping only from the bargain bin or what, there, Robespierre?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=Round_Rects_Are_Everywhere.txt

quote:

Steve suddenly got more intense. "Rectangles with rounded corners are everywhere! Just look around this room!". And sure enough, there were lots of them, like the whiteboard and some of the desks and tables. Then he pointed out the window. "And look outside, there's even more, practically everywhere you look!". He even persuaded Bill to take a quick walk around the block with him, pointing out every rectangle with rounded corners that he could find.

e:

Exclamation Marx posted:

what could be more postmodern than appropriating modernist aesthetics w/ no regard to meaning? :colbert:

Good design gives users the power to express themselves. Great design takes away all need for self-expression, by providing immediate suitability to any purpose. Helvetica replaced the forebrain of all designers, there is no need for a language of typography any more, just use a stock photo of a model jumping in the air; this will convey any needed meaning.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 29, 2014

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am the worlds worst revolutionary. I admit it.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Yes, I'm aware. I picked up the 'at home' version for my mother, a CIA trained chef. (Actually, both my parents are. Though Dad did also go through the snake eater course.) It's very nice - it comes in two volumes, one a ring-bound layflat with extremely high quality paper, will never smudge or smear.

I was pointing the affordable version out, more than anything. It is getting towards christmas, after all.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

God drat it Walmart these isle displays are illogical!!

:argh:

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
"Walmart isle" immediately made me think of Tom DeLay

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Geeks-Science-Great-Hacks/dp/0596805888 This one's the cheap way to enter and experiment.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

euphronius posted:

God drat it Walmart these isle displays are illogical!!

:argh:

They regularly move where poo poo is in the store so that you have to walk through more of the store to get to what you came in for, thus increasing the chance that you'll impulse buy. That or have a psychotic break, whichever comes first.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
i want to stab like 90% of the posters in D&D and i feel like i'm going to get a probation for this sooner or later

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

KoldPT posted:

i want to stab like 90% of the posters in D&D and i feel like i'm going to get a probation for this sooner or later

Are you one of the 90%? Cause if so, self harm isn't the answer.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Then maybe post somewhere else? Or go outside?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
there's been like 10 political cartoons posted in the last 3 pages of the political cartoons thread

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Exclamation Marx posted:

there's been like 10 political cartoons posted in the last 3 pages of the political cartoons thread

Sounds like there's hope for it yet.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
who's watching the baseball

the base-ball

the b e i s b o l

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
As a colossal reactionary idiot I welcome the end of political cartoons that only serve to lampoon our glorious leaders. :patriot:

(Unless our leaders are black. Then it's totally okay to lampoon them.)

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

The Warszawa posted:

who's watching the baseball

the base-ball

the b e i s b o l

Peavy got owned

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Peavy got owned

hahaha yeah I had to call my dad when he got pulled "lol look at his sad loving face."

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
This keeps up we'll get the greatest event in all of sports!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Joementum posted:

Sounds like there's hope for it yet.

they're talking about video games joe

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
dear fox announcers:

the phrase you're looking for is "tira estraícs"

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

The Warszawa posted:

dear fox announcers:

the phrase you're looking for is "tira estraícs"

estraics. If you were to put the accent over the i it would sound like "extra eeks" instead of "ehstrikes" :eng101:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Exclamation Marx posted:

they're talking about video games joe

actually it's about ethics in videogame journalism

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
:tizzy:

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

estraics. If you were to put the accent over the i it would sound like "extra eeks" instead of "ehstrikes" :eng101:

nah it's got the accent iirc and it's pronounced "es-trai-EEKS". also i love that the Spanish for "home run" is jonrón.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

The Warszawa posted:

nah it's got the accent iirc and it's pronounced "es-trai-EEKS". also i love that the Spanish for "home run" is jonrón.

Cuadrangular is the best term for a home run.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

The Warszawa posted:

hahaha yeah I had to call my dad when he got pulled "lol look at his sad loving face."

on the other hand all the loving royals fans that i am surrounded by who didn't give a flying gently caress about baseball until september 15th or so maybe me want to murder myself and i would really like to rub it in their faces when their lucky as hell run comes to a screeching halt

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

The Warszawa posted:

In that case I have brought untold shame upon myself and my ancestors. Forgive me, abuelo :negative:

In my defense, I don't follow baseball in any language

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Speaking of baseball, Jose Canseco accidentally shot himself tonight in Vegas.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

In that case I have brought untold shame upon myself and my ancestors. Forgive me, abuelo :negative:

In my defense, I don't follow baseball in any language

hey it's entirely possible it is, in fact, both and it depends which Spanish is the One True Castellano and which is the bastard mongrel patois (obviously, the person you are asking speaks OTC and anyone of any other national origin speaks bastard mongrel patois).

rscott posted:

on the other hand all the loving royals fans that i am surrounded by who didn't give a flying gently caress about baseball until september 15th or so maybe me want to murder myself and i would really like to rub it in their faces when their lucky as hell run comes to a screeching halt

Yeah, I'm a Yankees fan, so you know very well there are Worse Evils out there.

Joementum posted:

I thought that was his defense at the Congressional hearings.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Joementum posted:

with a gun or a syringe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

The Warszawa posted:

hey it's entirely possible it is, in fact, both and it depends which Spanish is the One True Castellano and which is the bastard mongrel patois (obviously, the person you are asking speaks OTC and anyone of any other national origin speaks bastard mongrel patois).

The only bastard mongrel patois forms of Spanish are the Caribbean (which I was raised in), Argentine, and (ironically) Iberian Spanish. The One True Castellano is probably something like Colombian or North Andean Spanish since imo they have the best accents.

• Locked thread