Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

i think you're forgetting sonic, sonic blasters (especially with a hard hitting melee set, or drain psyche) can do some mean things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Headcrab
Jan 3, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I really doubt sonic blast on a blaster would out damage fire blast. The pathetic -res value blasters get just isn't enough to outpace fire blast.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Sonic's actual damage is dreadful.

:spergin: Fire Ball does 79 DPA base and Blaze does 188. The highest in Sonic is Scream with 55.

The -RES is obviously really nice because of teammates but if your goal is teammate damage then you're much better off with an AT with a support set that can dump a -30% RES AOE on everything.

Really the main problems are that Blaster secondaries are total rear end, debuffing blast sets pay too much in damage (the snipe buff would help here), and cone cast times are too long. The first problem is pretty much unfixable because it's mainly due to completely incomprehensible power choices but of course pubbies will rage about their concept being ruined if someone hints that putting Boost Range in a secondary with 5 melee attacks might have involved alcohol.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 13, 2012

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

just sayin if you want to play a blaster that punches dudes sonic is a good way to go

but i read what you said wrong anyways you were referring to sets with snipes so my bad.

basically i shouldn't post when i've just woken up

PUPPY PUZZLE fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 13, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

just sayin if you want to play a blaster that punches dudes sonic is a good way to go

but i read what you said wrong anyways you were referring to sets with snipes so my bad.
Well, what I was saying was Fire was going to turn into the new god set because it's already the best ST and among the best AOE set and it would still benefit from a snipe buff.

If you're talking about what does the best ST damage then I guess you'd have to measure it but even if you're punching stuff I'm not sure -13% RES makes up for losing Blaze because Blaze just does a shitload of damage.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

well yeah nothing will ever beat blaze it's just too good/fast, ice comes close though.

i'm wondering how good water will actually be, i'd like to try out like a water/dark blaster.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm sure Blaze will get the Energy Transfer treatment soon enough. Maybe an animation where the character takes out a lighter, flicks it a few times, and then walks it over to the target and kindles its coat tails?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

OneEightHundred posted:

Really the main problems are that Blaster secondaries are total rear end

Energy melee is pretty good as a secondary. You get a ton of buffs and the attacks are fun.

Plus you get bright glowing fists and that poo poo is baller as gently caress :black101:

I find it fun, anyway.

Regardless, who gives a gently caress. Play what you enjoy and find fun, who cares about numbers.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

well yeah nothing will ever beat blaze it's just too good/fast, ice comes close though.
Telekinetic Blast actually hits really hard too (122 DPA) but it has a gigantic knockback. Blaze isn't really that out of line, considering most sets simply do not have a skill in the "high damage blast" role, but Sonic is just really bad damage-wise. It's worse than Archery.

e: If anything's out of line in Fire, it's Fire Ball.

Slung Blade posted:

Energy melee is pretty good as a secondary. You get a ton of buffs and the attacks are fun.
The main thing in any of them is the attacks, but most of them pad that out with a deluge of damage auras that will just get you killed, useless mag 2 mez effects, or debuffs that barely do anything. Ice is the worst offender with the poo poo trifecta of Chilling Embrace, Frozen Aura, and Shiver. It really wouldn't be too broken if they added just ONE major useful utility skill like I dunno Tar Patch or something.

The melee attacks are also more of a problem than they used to be because of the type of enemies they've been adding. "Range is not defense" used to be this big common trope because everything has ranged attacks or will just run up and slap you, but then they added a bunch of high-level enemies that spam AOE attacks and AOE mezzes on your melee constantly, so now you get whacked even when you don't have aggro.

quote:

Regardless, who gives a gently caress. Play what you enjoy and find fun, who cares about numbers.
brb gonna make a spreadsheet and chart out fun factor on one axis and time spent dead on the other

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 13, 2012

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

OneEightHundred posted:

brb gonna make a spreadsheet and chart out fun factor on one axis and time spent dead on the other

You're gonna need to amend that chart to take Beast Mastery into account - the fact the worst powerset in the game will very rarely actually get you killed is a big outlier.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

That's OK I'll cheat and put "time pets spend dead" on the same axis.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
for everyone talking about how bad Beast Mastery is, how many of you actually tried it? I wound up enjoying playing my BM/TA (I set out to make the worst combo possible for a gimmick). I don't even like MMs. As it was my pets rarely died and did pretty good damage, and I have no way to heal or buff them other than the usual Equip power. Made it to 26 before I quit playing, but when I come back I'm sure I'll fire him up again for laughs. I can throw bees!

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I took one to 50 and +1 or +2. It really is that bad, in my mastermind-playing opinion. I'm not saying it can't be fun, I did pull some enjoyment out of it obviously. I just was very disappointed with how it actually worked out.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Pez posted:

for everyone talking about how bad Beast Mastery is, how many of you actually tried it? I wound up enjoying playing my BM/TA (I set out to make the worst combo possible for a gimmick). I don't even like MMs. As it was my pets rarely died and did pretty good damage, and I have no way to heal or buff them other than the usual Equip power. Made it to 26 before I quit playing, but when I come back I'm sure I'll fire him up again for laughs. I can throw bees!

I worked this out when arguing the point in Pocket D broadcast. By sheer chance, those two sets, the worst sets in the game, actually complement each other rather well. I'd hesitate to call the end result good, because hey it's Beast Mastery and Trick Arrow so you still either can't do or suck at everything, but the control aspect of Trick Arrow covers Beast Mastery's lack of range pretty well.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
If we are talking Fire Assault for dominators I just want to chime in and say it is WTF awesome. ANY X/Fire/Ice dom has the potential to to do a freaking retarded amount of ST damage. Just slot up you ST Hold with 2 HO acc/DMG, the dom proc, and three other dmg procs, get a poo poo ton of recharge, run muscle and ageless, and laugh at everyone on your team going WTF when you spam blaze-fire blast-st hold and do more damage than DM/SD scrappers.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

The fact that Doms get Sleet in their epic pool is like the punchline of why Blaster secondaries blow.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

OneEightHundred posted:

The melee attacks are also more of a problem than they used to be because of the type of enemies they've been adding. "Range is not defense" used to be this big common trope because everything has ranged attacks or will just run up and slap you, but then they added a bunch of high-level enemies that spam AOE attacks and AOE mezzes on your melee constantly, so now you get whacked even when you don't have aggro.

Yeah, true enough. When I play my fire/em blaster, I hardly ever use the melee attacks. Hover and a couple minor defensive powers generally allow me to survive fairly well if the team is big enough to distract the mobs. If I have to wade into punching distance in situations like that, you know poo poo's gone seriously sideways and it's just a desperation ploy on my part. Sometimes it even works out!

Range helps as long as you have tank types up front or controllers locking everything down, but you know that.

Fireball and fire rain are nice because you can do that poo poo around corners. Line of sight IS a decent defense, at least, despite its extremely fleeting short term nature. Prevents massive alpha strike retaliation too.

OneEightHundred posted:

I know man, all I'm saying is everyone finds different poo poo fun. Sometimes it's cool being dead because it gives you time to crack stupid jokes.

I actually died when I was in the middle of a mob last night to make a stupid joke. Prova can attest to that.

Keep in mind that death is completely meaningless except in terms of time. There is no punishment or loss associated with it all outside the time sink.

If you care about your personal time, man, are you playing the wrong kind of game.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

http://na.cityofheroes.com/en/news/news_archive/i_can_has_costume_contest.php

meme costume contest. what.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I... think I like it? But that was a painful thing to read.

Anyway, Business Cat seems like it'd be a cinch.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

That post has caused blood to appear around the edges of my vision and is inciting me to murder. Fortunately,

OneEightHundred posted:

fireblastersfireblastersfireblasters

:circlefap:

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Time to make OH THE HUGE MANATEE

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

OneEightHundred posted:

Really the main problems are that Blaster secondaries are total rear end,

People tend to poo poo on Devices, but it actually gives you tools to stay alive, Cloaking Device and Smoke Grenade, plus an actual mag 3 stun in Taser. Every other set is a mix of blapping attacks that get you killed, damage auras that get you killed faster, lovely mag 2 mezzes, and lovely debuffs. The only other secondary that doesn't suck is Mental Manipulation, and that's because Drain Psyche carries the whole set.

Also Dark/Dark is ok because of stacked -tohit, but Doms do it ten times better.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

I think you read that wrong, ice 4 lyfe.

(But holy gently caress buff Frost Breath already. And give me back my pre-nerf Ice Blast cast time.)

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 14, 2012

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
I swear to loving CHRIST, if you assholes don't win this god drat costume SEEMINGLY DESIGNED EXCLUSIVELY FOR YOU TO WIN, I'm going to quit this loving thing and go...I don't know...read a book or something.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

WeX Majors posted:

I swear to loving CHRIST, if you assholes don't win this god drat costume SEEMINGLY DESIGNED EXCLUSIVELY FOR YOU TO WIN, I'm going to quit this loving thing and go...I don't know...read a book or something.
...I won third in the 'Bad Idea' costume contest, does that count?

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Fearless_Decoy posted:

...I won third in the 'Bad Idea' costume contest, does that count?

I got 3rd in the circus one :hfive:

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Welp I am prepared for this one. Now I will forget about it.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
Yeah the chances of me not being busy are slim to none.

Anyways, Srin here is a plant/dark/ice dom build. I know nothing about dark assault.

http://www.cohplanner.com/mids/down...E2DCE7FBEADF435

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 14, 2012

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'd suggest we enter collectively with a joint gimmick of some kind, but I can only think of one and it'll probably get us in poo poo.

But if we can pull off a group of people dressed as Goatse, Tub Girl, Swap.avi and so on and so forth, I don't think we could ever top it for as long as we play.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
If there isn't at least one All Your Base, I will be disappointed. And old.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Yeah the chances of me not being busy are slim to none.

Anyways, Srin here is a plant/dark/ice dom build. I know nothing about dark assault.

http://www.cohplanner.com/mids/down...E2DCE7FBEADF435

this is fine but i'd take night fall over moon beam for general use unless they really buff the gently caress out of snipes in i24 you're never going to use it, and you only lose like 1.25% recharge.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pez posted:

I've played a ton of masterminds and like masterminds and BM is pretty horrible in my opinion. But if you enjoy it, more power to you.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

quote:

[Tell] -->Carnvial Witch Guard: (You spelt your name wrong.)
[Tell] Carnvial Witch Guard: Umm first off. How so, second on all spelt isn't a word
[Tell] -->Carnvial Witch Guard: (It's an acceptable alternate spelling. And as for how, you spelt it 'Carnvial'. Not 'Carnival'.
[Tell] Carnvial Witch Guard: Well as long as your talking about bread flour then spelt is a word.
[Tell] -->Carnvial Witch Guard: (Not the point, really.)

This went on for some time. Never seen someone so defensive about a mistake.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Slung Blade posted:

Fireball and fire rain are nice because you can do that poo poo around corners.
Fire Ball targets a unit so you need LOS.

Re: Devices, it's better than nothing but it's hard to do much when Blaster defense is so bad. All of their +DEF pool powers have really bad numbers for some reason, Cloak itself is only +1.75% and doesn't work with Stealth (which gives the same numbers, but costs more and has better stealth range). :sigh:

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 14, 2012

Aeric
Jul 24, 2007
i eat souls

OneEightHundred posted:

I think Fire is still the highest ST

Stop right there, Fire Blast only barely manages to keep up with Katana.

Free Headcrab
Jan 3, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Really Aeric? I believe you, but you should post some numbers on that, I'd like to see them. I thought for sure fire blast, fireball, and blaze would be some sick dps. But I could be very wrong.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Pez posted:

I got 3rd in the circus one :hfive:

I won first on Chinese New Year contest but I have a genetic advantage.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I intend to either win this contest or get my account suspended trying. It's gonna be a tough thing to get right, and I'm gonna need to use that Retro Sci-Fi pack I didn't want to touch, but like it or not that contest is gonna get a visit from Goat Seer.

Aeric
Jul 24, 2007
i eat souls

Free Headcrab posted:

Really Aeric? I believe you, but you should post some numbers on that, I'd like to see them. I thought for sure fire blast, fireball, and blaze would be some sick dps. But I could be very wrong.

Flares>FB>Blaze does 93.4 DPS unenhanced. This is a blaster chain, since fireball doesn't really make use of defiance, and requires like 274% global recharge or some poo poo.

GD>GC>SD>GC does 74.5 DPS unenhanced.

When you start factoring in their respective gimmicks and procs, both sets will end up with roughly the same dps with fire taking a slight edge. Point I'm trying to prove is that Katana is an average set and Blasters in their current incarnation, are really bad.

ninja edit: my bad there.

Aeric fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Aeric posted:

GD>GC>SD>GC does 89.67 DPS unenhanced.
(164+57.81+123.9+57.81)/(1.98+0.924+1.584+0.924) = 403.52 / 5.412 = 74.5

:confused:

• Locked thread