Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Jodie was a much better and more interesting character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

yea the 90s hosed a lot of kids up big time

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The 90's loving sucked and you have to suffer from a brain tumor if you ever wish to go back to that time

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

So glad I wasn't the only one with a crush on Trent

12 year old me was like woah

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

Jodie was a much better and more interesting character.

That was absolutely the point.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tarkus posted:

You have to remember that the 90's were a time of false rebellion.

'We're all individuals!!!!'
'You can't tell me what to do!'
'The world sucks!'
'We're doing so many bad things, let's all get aware of these problems but do nothing!'
'everything people like is stupid and sucks.'

My teenage years were in the 90's but looking back I realize how stupid it was. Daria was a parody of those things despite the fact that most people felt Daria was the wise among the fools. Sadly, it's a lot like goons today.

Generation X defined.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

There are very few cartoons I would not have sex with in the 90s

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
ghost world was great cause the leads both had monster tits

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Parallax Scroll posted:

i enjoyed the maxx

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The first couple seasons of Daria were good at showing how Daria's attitude alienated everyone. After that they kind of waffled on her character development. Sometimes she was considerate, other times a goony jerk. By then all the other characters are fleshed out though. It works as a product of its time and was a pretty drat good show for a teen/early 20s demographic.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
I forgot basically everything about this show but i'm pretty sure I saw every episode.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Don Tacorleone posted:

Haha for real? Got a link or know which episode? Daria did seem on a highway to suicide or an unhappy life

Somehow I decided to follow that attitude and well, here I am, a miserable pile of secrets

it's about 2:35 they start talking about it

http://www.mtv.com/shows/beavis_and_butthead/beavis-and-butt-head-season-9-ep-3-drones/1674141/playlist/#id=1674141

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

butthead says "she didn't kill herself, she just moved away"

i wish they would have done more than one season of the new beavis and butthead. unlike every other show brought back from the dead, it managed to be just as funny as the old stuff, maybe even better

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
why would you believe something butthead says

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
the current mtv demographic doesn't like beavis and butthead

they like 16andpregnant and the shows the new b and b-head were making fun of

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nah both types of shows actually appeal to the same demo-- mediocre people who want to feel superior to idiots on TV.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Nah both types of shows actually appeal to the same demo-- mediocre people who want to feel superior to idiots on TV.

i thought that's what all those reality tv let's-gawk-at-the-yokels shows were for

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yes and Beavis and Butthead too, was my point.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
okay yeah i misread your previous post

you probably got a point, but then making fun of stupid people also makes up a pretty big portion of all comedy

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Doppelganger posted:

I'm rewatching some episodes on hulu, and it seems like every time she meets a new person, she immediately goes into snarky oval office mode even if they're being perfectly polite to her. Then by the end of the episode, the character will randomly start being an rear end in a top hat, and then everyone is like "Wow Daria, you were right all along, how insightful of you."

I think the show tries to get you to subtly question her behaviour as it goes on. Like at first it presents this snarky smart girl and you're supposed to go "oh, I identify with this character" and laugh at the popular kids, but then as it goes on there are more nuances with the barriers between the two groups falling away and you realize both have flaws and good qualities. Basically it starts off going "jocks vs. nerds amirite" with sympathy towards the nerds but it tries to get the audience to eventually understand that the differences are more superficial than they seem, towards the end where everyone's going off to college. IRL this is usually when you start noticing that anyway if you're not completely dense.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Weldon Pemberton posted:

I think the show tries to get you to subtly question her behaviour as it goes on. Like at first it presents this snarky smart girl and you're supposed to go "oh, I identify with this character" and laugh at the popular kids, but then as it goes on there are more nuances with the barriers between the two groups falling away and you realize both have flaws and good qualities. Basically it starts off going "jocks vs. nerds amirite" with sympathy towards the nerds but it tries to get the audience to eventually understand that the differences are more superficial than they seem, towards the end where everyone's going off to college. IRL this is usually when you start noticing that anyway if you're not completely dense.

Kinda reminds me of my high school experience except senior year I learned it turns out everyone was like Daria. Jock, prep, stoner, nerd, it didn't matter, everyone was an insufferable duplicitous poo poo-talking rear end in a top hat, one eyeroll away from snapping their optic nerves. Turns out teens are just awful in general, at least in the nineties, who knew?

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

burritolingus posted:

She's really an unlikable character throughout the entire series. I remember one episode where a kid dies and she's like, "So what? He was a jerk to me. One less jerk." People were supposed to sympathize with her by the end of it. That's when I realized whoever was writing Daria never got over the fact that they were unpopular in high school. Best thing you could say about the show is that it had a good soundtrack, but they've had to replace all the songs in the re-releases due to copyright issues so even that's gone.

At least in Seinfeld, while they acted like jerks, things generally tended to end not in their favor, with them looking like buffoons in the end. I can like Jerry because he gets what he deserves. Daria is just a smug prick and the entire series fellates her for being one.

wow hm. interesting

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

has every mike judge show had a paintball episode?

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

has every mike judge show had a paintball episode?

Yes. Even the beavis and butthead snes game had a paintball gun.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

President Kucinich posted:

Yes. Even the beavis and butthead snes game had a paintball gun.

Was there one in Silicon Valley yet?

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

gently caress the Republic. posted:

there will be if there hasn't and they'll say "those paintball thingies really hurt"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Y'know people here joke about how goobers like Kevin Smith or Joss Whedon are uber-goons, but this thread has reaffirmed my belief that Mike Judge is the true patron saint of Goonery in the arts.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Wait...this show wasn't cancelled? But it was so bad.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They just renewed it actually.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Y'know people here joke about how goobers like Kevin Smith or Joss Whedon are uber-goons, but this thread has reaffirmed my belief that Mike Judge is the true patron saint of Goonery in the arts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IE8Z3IOtRk

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

weird, but true

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Great! Now I have to go jerk off!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

bitch is just asking for it with those heels

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Don Tacorleone posted:

The 90's loving sucked and you have to suffer from a brain tumor if you ever wish to go back to that time

there was good videogames

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

i would really like daria if i met her in real life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i like that show probably more than it deserves

• Locked thread