Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Superhero stories are just the modern take on the Heroic Epic and we are finally rising above of the 20th century's depressing idea that bleak realism is the only truly acceptable form of fiction, imo.

Dont poo poo on the 1970s man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I will honor this thread, and having just finished watching Civil War, I'll say this:

Captain America is a piece of poo poo.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

I will honor this thread, and having just finished watching Civil War, I'll say this:

Captain America is a piece of poo poo.

I like captain america but yeah i think he was wrong on this one. i wouldn't go so far as to say he's a piece of poo poo but i definitely came out of it thinking that iron man was probably in the right

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
They've got these loving movies lined up till like 2050 right? As far as big budget action/sci-fi movies go it's superheroes and star wars until I'm dead.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

That's the "Ultimates" version, the comic reboot line that Marvel eventually pretty much wiped out because it was generally pretty terrible and cringe-inducing, in particular how Cap was written.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Chinatown posted:

i saw the first xmen movie and it was okay so ive never seen another since and it all looks really dumb/a great way to take money from sad nerds s

i agree with you except about that the first xmen movie was good. it was not. there has been like three quarters of a good xmen movie made across the entire franchise

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
This movie seemed to want us to distinguish between superheroes having play fights and angry fights and my brain just couldn't keep up. Is this what it's like to be old?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Flesh Forge posted:

That's the "Ultimates" version, the comic reboot line that Marvel eventually pretty much wiped out because it was generally pretty terrible and cringe-inducing, in particular how Cap was written.
There was a pretty good response for the normal version which talks about how brave the French were because you know he fought with the resistance during WWII.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

*posts about this literal children's movie while standing in line for the midnight show*

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Earwicker posted:

kids films are traditionally pretty loving dark have you ever seen bambi

Or Watership Down.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Superhero stories are just the modern take on the Heroic Epic and we are finally rising above of the 20th century's depressing idea that bleak realism is the only truly acceptable form of fiction, imo.

what about when the superhero story is also really bleak like Netflix's Daredevil and punisher.

Those are also the best superhero things in years.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Man Whore posted:

what about when the superhero story is also really bleak like Netflix's Daredevil and punisher.

Those are also the best superhero things in years.

I keep hearing people tell me about how good Daredevil is, but I just can't get into it. Dunno if it's because I just really find the character boring or if it's something about the show itself. Edit: As for the punisher, I would've preferred an adaptation of a few arcs of the Ennis Max run or something.

I also still think that the best superhero/comic book movie is Dredd which apparently may be getting a sequel after all!

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Seconding that Dredd was the best comic book movie I've seen in a long time.

Guardians and Winter Soldier both captured the cheesy entertainment factor of comic books pretty well though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fire Barrel posted:

Edit: As for the punisher, I would've preferred an adaptation of a few arcs of the Ennis Max run or something.

They recently announced he'll be getting his own Netflix series so that's definitely on the cards. The second Daredevil series had a bunch of references to classic DD/Punisher comics.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

that prison hallway scene was literally the high water mark of daredevil action scenes for me so if the daredevil show is all that, all the time, then I will die happy.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
daredevil takes a little while to get into because daredevil is fuckin boring and so is his girlfriend(s) and foggy "booze hound" nelson. The good part is wilson fisk & punisher & elektra

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

minus the elektra part :yeah:

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Minus the fisk part as well. All the acting in daredevil sucks I can't stand fisk

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

what no fisk is one of the best characters watching him and punisher go at it in the prison was great

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Red Suit posted:

Minus the fisk part as well. All the acting in daredevil sucks I can't stand fisk

What the gently caress

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone hams it up to the extreme and its terrible. d'onofrio is the worst offender

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Of course they do. He's a dude named loving Kingpin. Jesus Christ.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gently caress the ROW posted:

daredevil takes a little while to get into because daredevil is fuckin boring and so is his girlfriend(s) and foggy "booze hound" nelson. The good part is wilson fisk & punisher & elektra

Jon Bernthal owned as the Punisher

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Can I read this thread or are there spoilers in it

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I really liked Civil War. My two cents

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

nooneofconsequence posted:

Can I read this thread or are there spoilers in it

captain america kills iron man by snapping his neck

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

winter soldier killed iron mans parents

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Red Suit posted:

Everyone hams it up to the extreme and its terrible. d'onofrio is the worst offender

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Apparently the mod in CD is a Supermechagodzilla dick rider since I got probated for suggesting he wouldn't like Civil War.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

People take SMG wayyyyyyyyyyy too seriously

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Shaquin posted:

good movies like snowpiercer.

check, please!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Gaunab posted:

Apparently the mod in CD is a Supermechagodzilla dick rider since I got probated for suggesting he wouldn't like Civil War.

usually when people say something like this they were actually doing something way out of line and came to another thread to feign innocence but i checked and yes this is what happened

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Quite a lot of Snowpiercer was amazing, although it had a gigantic Korean vibe that I didn't enjoy all that much. Tilda Swinton and Chris Evans were so good in it. Stoned Korean Dude with the last cigarette and matches in the world was pretty watchable too.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cubone posted:

usually when people say something like this they were actually doing something way out of line and came to another thread to feign innocence but i checked and yes this is what happened

How dare that mother fucker probate that guy for six hours THE PEOPLE DEMAND JUSTICE

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Kingpin is a giant broken babyman pretending to be a high-class gentleman thief and it owns.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
title is correct movie is balls

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I liked how during the big airport battle with superhumans and robot weapons, the two regular humans fought each other. That was fair and good.

It was pretty decent, the opening fight scene was great. The reasoning for the civil war was pretty loving stupid though. "You have literally saved humanity several times, but there was some collateral damage, therefore *fart*"

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
where was the super heal chamber from the avengers dumb morons

• Locked thread