Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Zurreco posted:

Updated AP Top 10

1. Alabama
2. Ohio St
3. Clemson
4. Michigan
5. Washington
6. Houston
7. Louisville
8. Texas A&M
9. Tennessee
10. Miami

Washington leapfrogged by one vote :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Korranus posted:

Washington leapfrogged by one vote :(

I mean, they DID shove an entire tree up Stanford's rear end...

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
After weekends like this I'm kinda happy I now live in a place where no one gives a flying gently caress about football to constantly remind me of it.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Miami please wash upon us as a cleansing fire and lift away the stain that is our defensive coaching staff, as we are very literally the worst power 5 defense in the country amen

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Scarf posted:

I mean, they DID shove an entire tree up Stanford's rear end...

True, but it lowers the glass ceiling for Houston to 5 and nobody wants to be #5.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

pillsburysoldier posted:

Miami please wash upon us as a cleansing fire and lift away the stain that is our defensive coaching staff, as we are very literally the worst power 5 defense in the country amen

ok

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

pillsburysoldier posted:

we are very literally the worst power 5 defense in the country amen

Nah

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I'm very sad

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
psu won, good job, still fire james franklin though

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

pillsburysoldier posted:

You can't possibly be worse than Oregon.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Jordanis posted:

You can't possibly be worse than Oregon.

**checks**

.............. okay but it's comparably bad, usually within 10 spots of each other

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 2, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Texas is 116th in points allowed a game

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
im charlie strong, and this is jackass

*misses tackle on slow white QB*

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I'm really hopeful that keeping Washington just out of the top 4 will help them avoid a letdown game

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Scionix posted:

why do people think vance bedford is the root cause of all our defensive problems

charlie strong is a defensive coach. he coaches defense. he prides himself of defensive execution. he coaches defense and special teams.

we have 5 blocked extra points and we're giving up fifty points a game. canning bedford isnt going to do poo poo

the only person earning their paycheck on the coaching roster is sterlin gilbert

I don't want to believe Charlie is the cause of our problems. :smith:

Not saying he isn't. Just that I don't want us to have to hire yet another new head coach.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Scarf posted:

25 Virginia Tech 3-1

:eyepop:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Its kind of telling that after beating Notre Dame a lot of the conversation was about if he had lost should they fire him. Like, the only way the fire Charlie conversation isn't happening is like a 1 or 2 loss season from here on out.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
If you close your eyes and think real hard you can see a Texas 4* DB whiff an open field tackle on a slow walk on

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I wish this was on youtube instead of facebook, but here's a cool 360 degree helmet cam video of the team running down the hill last night.

https://www.facebook.com/ClemsonFB/videos/1190397960981862/

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Scionix posted:

im charlie strong, and this is jackass

*misses tackle on slow white QB*

"Third and long Charlie Strong" was a saying at SC when he was our defensive coordinator. I wasn't there for it, but apparently we routinely gave up third and a billion under his watch.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 3, 2016

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
B U F F A L O E S

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

pillsburysoldier posted:

Arizona State would like to have a word with you.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Best stat of 2016: Alabama's defense has scored as many touchdowns as it has allowed

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Scarf posted:

I wish this was on youtube instead of facebook, but here's a cool 360 degree helmet cam video of the team running down the hill last night.

https://www.facebook.com/ClemsonFB/videos/1190397960981862/

That's pretty bad rear end

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Sab0921 posted:

I no longer believe in Charlie.

What a sad realization, he seems like such a good dude, but his teams play like dogsshit on the road, and have given up 45+ 3 times this season. What happened to your defenses Charlie :(

0-13 when trailing at half-- it's like he's making anti-adjustments. Not even a close loss to a team with less talent-- a blowout to a team with less talent. I've seen exactly as much CS as I need to.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I don't want to believe Charlie is the cause of our problems. :smith:

Not saying he isn't. Just that I don't want us to have to hire yet another new head coach.

Why?

Aside from recruiting classes and fielding a QB who can complete a forward pass there are 0 signs of improvement.

OK State's recruiting classes during the CS Era:

2016 - 48
2015 - 37
2014 - 27

and it wasn't even a competitive game in the second half.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

Scionix posted:

why do people think vance bedford is the root cause of all our defensive problems

charlie strong is a defensive coach. he coaches defense. he prides himself of defensive execution. he coaches defense and special teams.

we have 5 blocked extra points and we're giving up fifty points a game. canning bedford isnt going to do poo poo

the only person earning their paycheck on the coaching roster is sterlin gilbert

This. Couldn't agree more.

Also, am I the only one who reads this:

“Charlie Strong will not be fired during the season, a source told ESPN's Brett McMurphy on Saturday.”

To mean that CS is out at the end of the season?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

That's OK Charlie. When Collins gets poached for a head coach job you can have your old spot back.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Will Muschamp and Charles Strong co-DCs at FSU next year while still being paid millions by Texas and Florida/South Carolina

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Raku posted:

Best stat of 2016: Alabama's defense has scored as many touchdowns as it has allowed

OSU's in a similar boat. There are some really great defenses this year.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

pillsburysoldier posted:

Will Muschamp and Charles Strong co-DCs at FSU next year while still being paid millions by Texas and Florida/South Carolina

This caused me to let loose a hearty chuckle

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

WMU not only won, but absolutely poo poo-housed those pedophiles in Mt. Pleasant, it was glorious to see. The bit that rubs extra salt in their wounds and consequently fills my heart with hysterical glee is that loving EASTERN MICHIGAN, of all people, has a better record than CMU.

This though, was loving bullshit. That abso-loving-lutely obvious concussion was cause by a CB hitting a receiver helmet to helmet with the crown of the head, but the MAC replay refs SOMEHOW overruled the on-field call with a "shoulder-to-shoulder hit." Yes, I'm sure that Carrington Thompson just routinely faceplants because he got a stinger on his shoulder.

All that aside, I'm pretty thrilled with the team, we have NIU next week to truly claim the Illinois State Championship Belt/Trophy/Hat/Whatever material token they exchange among themselves. I am super stoked that the Broncos are ranked in the Coaches poll, but wish the AP would have done it, too. I don't expect anything ridiculous like even the high teens, but come on, 25th on a week where VT doesn't even play would have been nice. ON a completely other note, does anyone know of a good MAC blog or site or something? There's a shitton devoted (understandably) to the P5 conferences, but I'd like to focus on my dumb small pond of small fish conference and haven't found a decent one yet

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

LeeMajors posted:

I know I muse about begging Herman to come to UF, but hopefully Mac gets a few years to straighten out our depth issues. I think he will do fine, but this year hurts already. More of the same, really.

I spend every Saturday watching the shitshow wondering why I waited 8months to watch this garbage.

We had a gentleman's agreement with Coach Mac that the offense would be fun again. I can't say that watching Appleby poo poo the bed is any better than watching Treon Harris do the same. Between injury and a steroid bust Coach Mac has not had full seasons from his QBs. Only when Franks appears next season will I say with any conviction whether he is going to deliver or just chew a lot of gum on the sideline.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mercenarynuker posted:

WMU not only won, but absolutely poo poo-housed those pedophiles in Mt. Pleasant, it was glorious to see. The bit that rubs extra salt in their wounds and consequently fills my heart with hysterical glee is that loving EASTERN MICHIGAN, of all people, has a better record than CMU.

This though, was loving bullshit. That abso-loving-lutely obvious concussion was cause by a CB hitting a receiver helmet to helmet with the crown of the head, but the MAC replay refs SOMEHOW overruled the on-field call with a "shoulder-to-shoulder hit." Yes, I'm sure that Carrington Thompson just routinely faceplants because he got a stinger on his shoulder.

All that aside, I'm pretty thrilled with the team, we have NIU next week to truly claim the Illinois State Championship Belt/Trophy/Hat/Whatever material token they exchange among themselves. I am super stoked that the Broncos are ranked in the Coaches poll, but wish the AP would have done it, too. I don't expect anything ridiculous like even the high teens, but come on, 25th on a week where VT doesn't even play would have been nice. ON a completely other note, does anyone know of a good MAC blog or site or something? There's a shitton devoted (understandably) to the P5 conferences, but I'd like to focus on my dumb small pond of small fish conference and haven't found a decent one yet

I didn't know there were people who were genuinely this into Western/this loathing of Central. Row the boat though.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

We had a gentleman's agreement with Coach Mac that the offense would be fun again. I can't say that watching Appleby poo poo the bed is any better than watching Treon Harris do the same. Between injury and a steroid bust Coach Mac has not had full seasons from his QBs. Only when Franks appears next season will I say with any conviction whether he is going to deliver or just chew a lot of gum on the sideline.

At the very least, I have confidence Mac is probably more disgusted with the offense than we are.

With Muschamp, it always just felt like he really didn't give a gently caress.

RumbleFish posted:

"Third and long Charlie Strong" was a saying at SC when he was our defensive coordinator. I wasn't there for it, but apparently we routinely gave up third and a billion under his watch.

Will Muschamp is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse about defensive discipline than Strong ever was.

You can count on third and long being DPI, personal foul, or defensive holding.

Then again, we are wallowing in blown coverage on third and long now and I'm not sure which is worse.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Directional hate is my favorite hate

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
~~Whoopin Our Way to the Top ~*~ 5 (FIVE) FIVE TEAMS HAVE BEEN BEATEN (5-0) by the Baylor BITCH (Baylor,! Bitch) BEARS ~*~ Whoopin up on Bitches on the way to the top~!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Roasted Donut posted:

psu won, good job, still fire james franklin though

As I recall, the 2006 Minnesota game also went to the overtime. No improvement over a decade? Fire James Franklin out of a cannon.

Also, Larry Johnson is over there being great at Ohio State. Bring him home!

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

And here it is

quote:

Texas coach Charlie Strong will assume full play-calling and control of the defense for the rest of the season, a source familiar with the situation confirmed to the American-Statesman.

Defensive coordinator Vance Bedford is expected to remain on the staff. However, this move will be perceived as a demotion just one week after Strong said changing coordinators “would hurt us.”
http://www.hookem.com/2016/10/02/reports-texas-coach-charlie-strong-will-take-defense-vance-bedford/

Not sure if this fixes it, but for better or worse, it is all on Charlie now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sash! posted:

As I recall, the 2006 Minnesota game also went to the overtime. No improvement over a decade? Fire James Franklin out of a cannon.

Franklin has at least one thing over the coach from ten years ago.

• Locked thread