Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I keep looking at the Turbine Store's "instantly finishing the current crafting tier level." :ohdear:

I'm only on Westfold, should get out of Mirkwood this weekend and into Dunland/Great River, but it's right there and I have money to spare. :ohdear:

And what about my LM's Scholar tiers? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I would save your money, but that's because I'm the kind of guy who doesn't buy anything that isn't a permanent account unlock. I find temporary things or things like that a COMPLETE waste of money. However, I am not in control of your wallet.

The lottery is my.lotro.com/lottery right? Because that's telling me the page doesn't exist.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The lottery is my.lotro.com/lottery right? Because that's telling me the page doesn't exist.

No, it's http://my.lotro.com/home/lottery (just click the Login link at the upper right corner -- above the flags -- to log in and you'll get the lottery page).

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

CobiWann posted:

I keep looking at the Turbine Store's "instantly finishing the current crafting tier level." :ohdear:

I'm only on Westfold, should get out of Mirkwood this weekend and into Dunland/Great River, but it's right there and I have money to spare. :ohdear:

And what about my LM's Scholar tiers? :ohdear:

Save your money and farm that stuff. Which scholar tiers are you talking about? I'm an expert on the scholar stuff. I(and probably plenty of other goons) can steer you in the right direction, and maybe people can dump some mats on you. :)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Westfold is the most grindy tier, but it's not too bad for scholars.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Midrena posted:

No, it's http://my.lotro.com/home/lottery (just click the Login link at the upper right corner -- above the flags -- to log in and you'll get the lottery page).
I have no guys eligible!!!

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I've been trying to download this again to give the new content a run-through and the freakin pando media booster keeps hanging on 'calculating time remaining.' I see from browsing all the Turbine threads on the subject this is a common issue. The software is stupidly unreliable and no one has ever find a solution, ever.

That being said, if anyone has a torrent, seed that poo poo please :sun:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Brave New World posted:

Save your money and farm that stuff. Which scholar tiers are you talking about? I'm an expert on the scholar stuff. I(and probably plenty of other goons) can steer you in the right direction, and maybe people can dump some mats on you. :)

Nah, it's only the 1st Tier, for the character I'm going to level once I finish my Guardian. So like in a year? :)

I just remember how, when I played before, levelling Scholar was a BITCH.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

fenix down posted:

I have no guys eligible!!!

Yeah, that's also what it says even if there are absolutely no lotteries available at that point in time.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Did they add any quests to the Anniversary Festival? I somehow still feel burnt out from last year's version.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

ruffz posted:

Did they add any quests to the Anniversary Festival? I somehow still feel burnt out from last year's version.
Set off fireworks until your eyes bleed!!!!!!!!

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

fenix down posted:

Set off fireworks until your eyes bleed!!!!!!!!

That's exactly what I did last year to get the Master Blaster title and the firework-laden steed for two characters.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
How bad is the leveling in this game? It didn't take me that long to reach cap in WoW, but I heard it's painfully long in this game.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005

Interstellar Owl posted:

How bad is the leveling in this game? It didn't take me that long to reach cap in WoW, but I heard it's painfully long in this game.

Leveling is not difficult and does not take too long if you focus on leveling.
If you want to grind out deeds along the way and see dungeons then expect a long trip.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Interstellar Owl posted:

LOTRO is all about taking your time and enjoying the story and scenery on your way to the level cap, since there isn't a whole lot to do when you get there. That's one of the main differences between LOTRO and WoW. In WoW most people rush to hit the cap so they can do end-game stuff, but it's a bad idea to rush the leveling process in LOTRO.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I was under the impression that all festival tokens were supposed to be one currency by now, but the festival is awarding Anniversary Tokens still. I have a stack of 315 Festival Tokens (on my main character alone) that appear to be unusable during the Anniversary Festival. Pretty frustrating.

edit: I guess it doesn't matter because it doesn't look like they added any new rewards this year, and I got everything I wanted last year. Oh, Turbine...

ruffz fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 16, 2013

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

sassassin posted:

Speaking of the elf/dwarf starter area has been pretty crowded the last few days (crowded for Silverlode, anyway). People getting extra alts ready for the festival maybe?

Silverlode is one of the common servers for re-rolling low level champs to run through Ered Luin and pick up a bunch of easy TP. In terms of time spent / TP received you're still better off working extra and buying the TP, but for people with extremely limited income (mostly children/college students), it's better than not having the TP at all.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Interstellar Owl posted:

Leveling is a lot easier now than it was when I first played around when MoM came out. Which I'm glad cause all the stuff I'm interested in lore-wise is on the other side of the Misty Mountains. Now that I have time to play again maybe I'll actually get over there!

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

Leveling is a lot easier now than it was when I first played around when MoM came out. Which I'm glad cause all the stuff I'm interested in lore-wise is on the other side of the Misty Mountains. Now that I have time to play again maybe I'll actually get over there!

I remember playing when it FIRST went F2P, got a Minstrel to 50 and oh my gosh it was unbearable even getting to that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SeaTard posted:

Silverlode is one of the common servers for re-rolling low level champs to run through Ered Luin and pick up a bunch of easy TP. In terms of time spent / TP received you're still better off working extra and buying the TP, but for people with extremely limited income (mostly children/college students), it's better than not having the TP at all.

Yeah? I've run two characters through the area before and haven't seen it nearly this busy.

Getting to 85 on my first dude took just over three months, but I have alt-itis and took a couple weeks off leveling after Mirkwood.

If you use tomes, buddy up or subscribe (for rested xp/destiny point use), and quest consistently you can get there much faster. But there's not much point imo.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

HelloSailorSign posted:

Oh my god guys! Lottery up for 3 WHOLE 10% SPEED BOOSTS!!!

:ughh:

The entertaining thing about that lottery, is that it was for the Boston Marathon. 26.2 was the title, which of course is the length of a marathon.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I reinstalled LOTRO a few days ago and good lord... is there anything they HAVEN'T monetized to all hell? I played a few months ago and it seemed rather bad back then, too. But now its apparently getting even worse. Mithril coins to warp you back to the questgiver NPC? Really?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Mithril coins replaced multiple things like writs, the ability to use an item to go right to a quest giver/turn in isn't new.

It'a also really useful ion places like moria to spend a couple dollars and basically shave off several hours of running to an NPC or back. I'm looking at you, Water Works and Redhorn Lodes. :argh:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Wirth1000 posted:

Mithril coins to warp you back to the questgiver NPC? Really?

I agree his would be infuriating if they weren't incredibly cheap (or they were back when they were Traveller's Writs anyway), but as it is they're a good way to make the Trollshaws tolerable.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Mithril Coins are great for making the part of Volume 1 that has you going all over Forochel and Angmar bearable. Especially if you're doing it on-level, which means all the Elites/EMs aggro and often knock you off your horse.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

MMOs that are F2P usually see all sorts of convenience items like that which aren't necessary to progress. Nobody's forcing you to buy them, but they're there if you want to take some of the headache out of certain parts of the game.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Mithril coins are no different from the dozen different convenience items you could buy before, just unified.

Which is nice when you get some from a lootbox. Lot more options.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
What time can the most of you be around each day for the ale festival thing in Thorin's Hall?

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009
I am seriously thinking about trying this game. Is there still a large community of people who play? I've been playing GW2 with people from work, but, as much as I enjoy the PvP, the lore is absolutely terrible and I have no interest at all in that world. But, I know that a lot of people I play with there left LOTRO for GW2, which raises the concern that the community is dying. I am huge, huge Tolkien nerd though and I wanted to get this when it came out, but was playing WoW instead at the time.

You guys are clearly posting about it so you must like it. Would it be worth starting to play now? Are there still newbies in game?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Depends what you consider to be a large community.

Silverlode is pretty quiet, but if you're after lore and exploration that's probably a good thing. Most of the kin have alts running around low level content.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Gleri posted:

I am seriously thinking about trying this game. Is there still a large community of people who play? I've been playing GW2 with people from work, but, as much as I enjoy the PvP, the lore is absolutely terrible and I have no interest at all in that world. But, I know that a lot of people I play with there left LOTRO for GW2, which raises the concern that the community is dying. I am huge, huge Tolkien nerd though and I wanted to get this when it came out, but was playing WoW instead at the time.

You guys are clearly posting about it so you must like it. Would it be worth starting to play now? Are there still newbies in game?
Smaller community than launch and very solo/casual-oriented at this point, but still worth trying. The PVP is a similar to GW2's persistent-zone aspect.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Gleri posted:

I am huge, huge Tolkien nerd...
Right there is all the information that we need to give you a proper assessment: Start downloading now.

LotRO was for a time the 3rd most successful MMO, right after WoW and Eve. It's overall a very well made, heavily polished game that has the added benefit of perfectly nailing JRR Tolkien's Middle Earth. Every Tolkien fan has major lorgasms the first time they actually encounter the many essential Tolkien personalities and landmarks in game.

Gleri posted:

Yes, there's new people joining all the time, and veterans have tons of alts, if only for crafting. I myself just finally rolled a new character on Silverlode to play with the goons.

I'm actually surprised by how active Silverlode is. I always thought it was a dead server. It's not as crowded as Landroval(my home server), but still pretty drat busy in the lowbie zones.

I always advise people to skip humans to start with, cause their starting zone might seem too much like a generic Elwyn Forest. It's Tolkien, so roll a loving Elf, Dwarf or Hobbit. :)

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 18, 2013

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Brave New World posted:

roll a loving Hobbit. :)

Listen to this part here. Just rolled a hobbit burg, loving it so far.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brave New World posted:

perfectly nailing JRR Tolkien's Middle Earth.

Probably shouldn't oversell it. It's a questhub mmo videogame based on Tolkien's ME, featuring cameos from all your favourite characters.

But it does a good job at that, and that's pretty cool.

edit: If Tolkien wrote Middle Earth EU fanfiction obsessed with poo they absolutely nailed it.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 18, 2013

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Gleri posted:

Coming from GW2, LOTRO will be a huge step up if the lore of a game is what keeps you interested. I left LOTRO to try out GW2 after having put in over 120 hours in GW1 to get Hall of Monuments rewards, and still left GW2 after about a month. The graphics will be a step down, but I'm sure that's expected with a 6 year old MMO. Even so, the game world is still beautiful after more than half a decade. The community is far from dead, but won't be as lively as GW2 or WoW. There's no reason to not start a character and poke around, especially since you can hit level 30 without paying a dime.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

New system announced to encourage daily logins, you get a "Hobbit Present" once every 24 hours and a Gold Hobbit Present once a week if you're a subscriber. http://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/faq-hobbit-presents-2

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

sassassin posted:

Probably shouldn't oversell it. It's a questhub mmo videogame based on Tolkien's ME, featuring cameos from all your favourite characters.

But it does a good job at that, and that's pretty cool.

edit: If Tolkien wrote Middle Earth EU fanfiction obsessed with poo they absolutely nailed it.

Counterpoint, is that after collecting the goat poop you get to ride a goat.

Plus there's fireworks right now!

Seriously, this game is worth the time for Moria if nothing else.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

ruffz posted:

New system announced to encourage daily logins, you get a "Hobbit Present" once every 24 hours and a Gold Hobbit Present once a week if you're a subscriber. http://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/faq-hobbit-presents-2

I just read the FAQ. It's a lame attempt to get us to buy & spend more Mithril coins. :downs:

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Brave New World posted:

I just read the FAQ. It's a lame attempt to get us to buy & spend more Mithril coins. :downs:

Pretty much that and because they're probably having sluggish login numbers since there's kind of a lull in content at the moment. Anyone that's serious about hitting level 85 got there months ago, and there won't be any new content until Update 11 which is at least a month away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

Logged into creep side on the server I have most of characters on (Landroval) and it was totally barren, is it this way all over? :(

• Locked thread